calling also for better airbags, bumpers, brakes, or steering wheels,
(or roads designed to minimize travel delay), these initiatives will
fail (and are failing) to meet the needs of present and future users
of the internet."

Comments (and cites) welcomed also! The text is still somewhat in flux...

--
:( My old R&D campus is up for sale: https://tinyurl.com/yurtlab
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos
Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
Not sure we need the FCC telling us how to build products or run networks.
Seat belts are life-or-death, but bufferbloat is rarely fatal ;-) Let it
be a point of differentiation.

-- Tom

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
If you want money from the government to subsidize your network, you'll
follow their rules...

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 12:46?PM Shane Ronan <shane@ronan-online.com> wrote:

> If you want money from the government to subsidize your network, you'll follow their rules...

It is the misguided focus on too many too simple things from the
regulator and Congress, without even understanding what a packet is,
and enormous subsidies for things that don't matter, and great
mis-understanding of the things that do, that bothers me the most.

Anyway, for 14 years, I have been trying to get bufferbloat fixed,
universally, and great progress is being made. I felt that with one
political push like this, it might begin to turn the tide. We are
accepting signatures on the FCC filing until 2PM EST today.

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
The FCC is currently posturing to feel relevant. While they're in one of these modes, you're not going to stop them, but you might be able to redirect them on a better path.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
As one beholden to USAC/FCC I have to agree with Shane...

michael brooks
Sr. Network Engineer
Adams 12 Five Star Schools
michael.brooks@adams12.org
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"

--
This is a staff email account managed by Adams 12 Five Star Schools.  This
email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 1:55?PM Mel Beckman <mel@beckman.org> wrote:

> bufferbloat is rarely fatal

This task will put me in my grave, sooner rather than later!

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 4:55?PM Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/19ADByjakzQXCj9Re_pUvrb5Qe5OK-QmhlYRLMBY4vH4/edit
>
> Comments (and cites) welcomed also! The text is still somewhat in flux...

Hi Dave,

You start off with a decent thesis - beyond 100mbps there really isn't
any difference in capability, not for residential use. Just a
difference in how quickly some tasks complete. It's not like the
difference between 768kbps and 10 mbps where one does streaming video
and conferencing while the other does not.

But then you get lost in latency. Latency is important but it's only
one in a laundry list of things that make the difference between
quality and trash in Internet services.

* Packet loss.

* Service outages. I have a buddy whose phone line has been out for
days four times this year. His ILEC neither wants to maintain the
copper lines nor install fiber that deep in the woods, so they keep
doing mediocre repairs to the infrastructure that don't hold up.

* Incomplete connectivity (e.g. Cogent and IPv6).

Personally, I'd love to see rulemaking to the effect that only folks
with -open- peering policies are eligible for government funds and
contracts. But that's my pet peeve, like latency is yours. And if I
pitch that, it'll rightly be seen as a pet issue.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin
bill@herrin.us
Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
Yea I’d like to see mandated IPv6 if ISPs want government money, around here an IPv4 only ISP won a government contract a while back for res fiber deployment and the last I heard from an acquaintance I spoke to over there they are planning to stuff the entire city behind a /24 with no upcoming plans to enable v6 (but of course you can get your own IP if you pay more).

I’m not a conspiracy theorist but sometimes it feels like some smaller ISPs are intentionally not deploying v6 so they can get customers to upgrade to more expensive plans for the luxury of *checks notes* not getting rate limited.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately from my experience it's usually because the small local ISPs
don't have the resources to understand IPv6, and may be using equipment
generations old that may not support IPv6. It's the large ISPs that don't
want to do it because it would increase their operational costs and require
upgrades to operational systems and they see no new revenue associated.

Shane

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
On 12/1/23 16:45, Shane Ronan wrote:
> Unfortunately from my experience it's usually because the small local
> ISPs don't have the resources to understand IPv6, and may be using
> equipment generations old that may not support IPv6. It's the large ISPs
> that don't want to do it because it would increase their operational
> costs and require upgrades to operational systems and they see no new
> revenue associated.

Honestly, how old is your equipment at this point to not support IPv6 at
all or usably in the data plane and in-band parts of the control plane?
I wouldn't think it's even commercially relevant anymore. Pretty much
anything L3 with at least 10Gb ports probably has support for most
things relevant to a small local ISP.

You might be missing some niceties, but even some new stuff is missing
those. The big one I've seen is a nice way to handle DHCPv6-PD
delegations without having to resort to using BGP to inject the routes
(looking at you, Extreme SLX).

--
Brandon Martin
Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/19ADByjakzQXCj9Re_pUvrb5Qe5OK-QmhlYRLMBY4vH4/edit
>
> Us bufferbloat folk have been putting together a response to the FCC's
> NOI (notice of inquiry) asking for feedback as to increasing the
> broadband speeds beyond 100/20 Mbit.

The era of “buffer bloat” has passed. Buffer bloat is just about jitter, and jitter mitigation is just better now.

I don’t think jitter needs to be part of public policy.

Tom
Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
Trying to put technical requirements like this into law and public policy
is an extremely terrible idea. This letter should never be sent.

The regulatory agencies today don't have the manpower or expertise to
adequately enforce the more generic broadband deployment rules. What
fantasy world exists where they have the manpower or expertise to monitor
for and enforce something like this? Hell, there are constant , legitimate
technical discussions between experts on HOW to *properly* monitor things
just like this. We want to have someone at the FCC deciding what that
should look like?

4.4 What the hell? The regulatory agencies should be allocating spectrum,
and making sure it's not used improperly with the rules of allocation.
Making it work 'better' is OUR job in the technical community. Not an FCC
rulemaker.

4.8 There are zero scenarios there should ever be regulatory rules about
device software. In our space (non-ISP) , TONS of people run older versions
of vendor code. Why? The shit DOESN'T WORK RIGHT YET and it causes other
problems. You suggest that regulatory bodies be involved in dictating
anything about this?

The bufferbloat work belongs in the technical area, full stop. Nowhere near
regulatory / legal.

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
Again, these rules typically only relevant when you are taking government funding or the government is looking to allocate future funding. Providers who don’t take government funding are welcome to run their networks as they choose.
Shane

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19ADByjakzQXCj9Re_pUvrb5Qe5OK-QmhlYRLMBY4vH4/edit"]https://docs.google.com/document/d/19ADByjakzQXCj9Re_pUvrb5Qe5OK-QmhlYRLMBY4vH4/edit

Us bufferbloat folk have been putting together a response to the FCC's
NOI (notice of inquiry) asking for feedback as to increasing the
broadband speeds beyond 100/20 Mbit.

"Calls for further bandwidth increases are analogous to calling for
cars to have top speeds of 100, 200, or 500 miles per hour. Without
calling also for better airbags, bumpers, brakes, or steering wheels,
(or roads designed to minimize travel delay), these initiatives will
fail (and are failing) to meet the needs of present and future users
of the internet."

Comments (and cites) welcomed also! The text is still somewhat in flux...

--
:( My old R&D campus is up for sale: https://tinyurl.com/yurtlab"]https://tinyurl.com/yurtlab
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos
Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
It would be better to keep the government out of it altogether, but that has little chance of happening.

-----

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 1:45?PM Shane Ronan <shane@ronan-online.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately from my experience it's usually because the small local
> ISPs don't have the resources to understand IPv6, and may be using
> equipment generations old that may not support IPv6. It's the large
> ISPs that don't want to do it because it would increase their operational
> costs and require upgrades to operational systems and they see no new
> revenue associated.

Hi Shane,

6rd works well enough, has been around long enough, and doesn't
require any significant equipment upgrades to implement. An ISP who
hasn't at least implemented that much is just being lazy.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin
bill@herrin.us
Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
Or has no engineer capable of configuring it, or support staff trained to handle the issues that will come up.

There are many reasons why providers don’t support v6.

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
On 12/1/23 5:27 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> It would be better to keep the government out of it altogether, but that has little chance of happening.

I agree. But I do have a question: is there a Best Practices RFC for
setting buffer sizes in the existing corpus? The Internet community has
been pretty good at setting reasonable standards and recommendations, so
a pointer to a BCP or RFC would go much farther to solve the bufferbloat
problem, as I believe administrators would prefer the "suggestion"
instead of ham-handed regulation.

But that's just me. I do know there has been academic research on the
subject, but don't recall seeing the results published as a practical
operational RFC.

(And this is very much on-topic for NANOG, as it is about encouraging
our peers to implement effective operation in their networks, and in
their connections with others.)
Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 8:35?PM <sronan@ronan-online.com> wrote:
> Or has no engineer capable of configuring it, or support staff trained to handle the issues that will come up.

Like I said: lazy. Training to deploy and support a minimalist 6rd
deployment where customers who want it can optionally use it is not a
challenging task. A man-week from zero to working. Maybe two.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin
bill@herrin.us
Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 2, 2023 at 2:30?AM Stephen Satchell <list@satchell.net> wrote:

> On 12/1/23 5:27 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> > It would be better to keep the government out of it altogether, but that has little chance of happening.
> >

> I agree. But I do have a question: is there a Best Practices RFC for
> setting buffer sizes in the existing corpus? The Internet community has
> been pretty good at setting reasonable standards and recommendations, so
> a pointer to a BCP or RFC would go much farther to solve the bufferbloat
> problem, as I believe administrators would prefer the "suggestion"
> instead of ham-handed regulation.

I too!

The IETF recommends universal AQM: see RFC7567.

However, as a consensus document, it was impossible to get the group
to agree to fair (flow) queuing also being deployed universally,
(although it is discussed extensively) where I feel that that
technology - breaking up bursts, making it possible for all flows to
multiplex better to a destination, and isolating problematic flows -
is more important than AQM. A lot of FQ is implicit - packet pacing
from the hosts does it e2e, switches naturally multiplex from multiple
ports, but anywhere it is not, explicitly having it helps in
downshifting from one rate to another. A pure AQM tends to react late
to bursts otherwise. "Flow Queuing", is a real advance over
conventional fair queueing, IMHO.

PIE has a delay target of 16ms, Codel 5ms - but these are targets that
take a while to hit, absorbing bursts, and then draining the queue to
a steady, smaller state gradually. I recommend VJ's talk on this
highly:

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Bloat-videos/#van-jacobson-of-google-introduces-the-codel-solution-and-the-packet-fountain-analogy-at-the-ietf84-conference-july-august-2012

(he has also been heavily involved in BBR and so many other things)

If all you have is a FIFO, I personally would recommend no more than
30ms in a byte fifo, if available. A packet fifo, limited thusly,
might have issues with swallowing enough acks, but either way, with
the advent of "packet pacing" from the hosts, some pretty good
experimental evidence that 100ms is too much... (I can supply more
links), and the rise of unclassified interactive traffic like webrtc
with tighter delay constraints, I still lean strongly towards 30ms as
the outside figure in most cases.

Aside from incast traffic, you only need even this much buffering when
a link is oversubscribed. Try not to do that, but test. We got back a
lot of good data from the level3 outage showing that a lot of core
seemed to have 250ms of buffering, or more. I can dig up that
research.

For more RFCs from the now closed IETF AQM working group, see:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/aqm/documents/

> But that's just me. I do know there has been academic research on the
> subject, but don't recall seeing the results published as a practical
> operational RFC.

I too would like a practical operational RFC.

It is becoming increasingly practical, but the big vendors are lagging
behind on support for advanced FQ and AQM techniques. There has been
some decent work in P4. In my case on problematic links I just slap
CAKE in front of it on a whitebox. Example of the generally pleasing
results here: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/juniper/

(this blog also references the debate about the BDP in relation to the
number of flows controversy)

That blog also shows the degradation in tcp performance once buffers
crack 250ms - a sea of retransmits with ever decreasing goodput.

Cisco has AFD (approximate fair drop). I have zero reports from the
field from those configuring it.

I hear good things about Juniper's RED implementation but have not
torn it apart, and few configure it that I know of.

I would love it if more people slapped LibreQos on an oversubscribed
link (it's good to well past 25Gbit and pushes cake to about
10Gbits/core destination), and observed what happened to user
satisfaction, packet drops, RFC3168 ecn, and flow collisions in the 8
way set associative hash , and so on. We've produced some good tools
for it, notably tcp sampling of the rtt, as well as nearly live "mice
and elephants" plots from the 2002 paper on it.

> (And this is very much on-topic for NANOG, as it is about encouraging
> our peers to implement effective operation in their networks, and in
> their connections with others.)

I too encourage everyone.

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 6:21?PM Tom Samplonius <tom@samplonius.org> wrote:

> > https://docs.google.com/document/d/19ADByjakzQXCj9Re_pUvrb5Qe5OK-QmhlYRLMBY4vH4/edit
> >
> > Us bufferbloat folk have been putting together a response to the FCC's
> > NOI (notice of inquiry) asking for feedback as to increasing the
> > broadband speeds beyond 100/20 Mbit.
>

> The era of “buffer bloat” has passed. Buffer bloat is just about jitter, and jitter mitigation is just better now.

I am really not sure what world you live in. Certainly the problem has
got much better since 2010, but nearly
every network I ever explore still has vast amounts of it. The global
south, every coffee shop, and every hotel
I have been in, all have major issues here. I make a habit of testing
the conference wifi and posting results
at every talk. The apartment complex I am staying in this week has a completely
saturated backhaul and oversubscribed wifi, with tremendous amounts of
delay and packet loss, where more
constructive packet loss would help. Google docs is nearly unusable
most of the day... and so it goes.

I do hope the solutions for bloat continue to roll out globally and we
cross this chasm in the next few years.

> I don’t think jitter needs to be part of public policy.

Congress has mandated a report from the FCC every year about the state
of the internet, which is what
this attempt at a constructive policy change of focus was about.

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
What I've found missing were references to packet loss impact on
performance. It seems to assume cable/fiber environments with little
to no packet loss, while Wi-Fi and 3G/4G/5G are not like that.

Rubens

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 2, 2023 at 5:04?PM Rubens Kuhl <rubensk@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I've found missing were references to packet loss impact on
> performance. It seems to assume cable/fiber environments with little
> to no packet loss, while Wi-Fi and 3G/4G/5G are not like that.

Wireless environments tend to do L2 retransmission, so they express
packet loss as jitter (random change in latency) instead of actual
loss. If you're seeing loss, it's generally on a wired segment.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin