The claim is that it's proprietary. A) It wasn't before and B) No it isn't. Everything you've ever done is a FOIA request or 811 design ticket away.

I'm not sure how this helps the companies. It certainly makes it harder for me trying to piece networks together when they won't tell me where they are until I give them A and Z locations. If it's too hard for me to figure out where you are, you just plain won't get the sale.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest-IX
http://www.midwest-ix.com
Re: Pulling of Network Maps [ In reply to ]
The pessimistic (and likely most realistic) take is that enabling
potential customers to do research like that is seen as a missed
opportunity for a sales contact.

Re: Pulling of Network Maps [ In reply to ]

> If it's too hard for me to figure out where you are, you just plain won't
> get the sale.

My experience with maps over the last decade tells me that even most
vendors don't actually know where they are. :)

Re: Pulling of Network Maps [ In reply to ]
I had that too. The map showed a facility was online. It wasn't. Lots of build to get there.

-----

Re: Pulling of Network Maps [ In reply to ]
Le Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 11:17:22AM -0500, Mike Hammett a ?crit :
> Has anyone else noticed a trend of some network operators that previously
> offered street-level detailed maps, not only upon request, but also posted
> publicly have started to only provide them upon quotes?

There is no small profit :)

Also some will fear sabotage if the pathway is publicly available.
Re: Pulling of Network Maps [ In reply to ]
But it already is publicly available to someone that's interested enough via the permits issued by the appropriate jurisdictions or if you put in 811 design stage tickets.

-----