want my utilities weaponizing their monopoly status to the whims of any
random narcissist billionaire.

Mike
Re: OT So what do you think about the scuttlebutt of Musk interfering in Ukraine? [ In reply to ]
On 9/13/23 8:47 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
> utilities weaponizing their monopoly status to the whims of any
> random narcissist billionaire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDC3LYfHRGg

Basically this?

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net
Re: So what do you think about the scuttlebutt of Musk interfering in Ukraine? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 5:47?PM Michael Thomas <mike@mtcc.com> wrote:
> Doesn't this bump up against common carrier protections?

Hi Michael,

Internet providers aren't common carriers. If they were, it'd be
unlawful to stop your customers from sending email spam that was
merely offensive rather than illegal. It's also why Internet providers
aren't required to follow network neutrality. Internet providers gain
their immunity through section 230 and the DMCA instead.

Common carrier status typically applies to shipping companies and
basic telephone service. Part of the mess with unwanted phone calls is
that the caller has to break the law (e.g. by calling a number on the
do-not-call list) before the phone company is allowed to act against
them.

> I sure don't
> want my utilities weaponizing their monopoly status to the whims of any
> random narcissist billionaire.

Starlink isn't a monopoly. Ukraine could have guided their munitions
with Iridium or another satellite Internet system.

That said, volunteering services to the military of a nation at war
and then pulling the rug out from under them is so classless, one
wonders if Musk isn't trying to build a communist utopia.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin
bill@herrin.us
Re: So what do you think about the scuttlebutt of Musk interfering in Ukraine? [ In reply to ]
I have a feeling he?s fired far too much of his legal and compliance team to realise

--srs
________________________________
Doesn't this bump up against common carrier protections? I sure don't

Re: So what do you think about the scuttlebutt of Musk interfering in Ukraine? [ In reply to ]
> Starlink isn't a monopoly. Ukraine could have guided their munitions with Iridium or another satellite Internet system.

Don't forget GLONASS. ????

Re: So what do you think about the scuttlebutt of Musk interfering in Ukraine? [ In reply to ]
This is one of those threads where I do think folk would benefit from
hearing from the horses' mouths. In a recent bio of musk published this
past week, the author claimed that starlink withdrew service over crimea
based on the knowledge it was going to be used for a surprise attack.
Starlink - and that author - now state that (
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1700345943105638636 )

The onus is meaningfully different if I refused to act upon a request from
Ukraine vs. made a deliberate change to Starlink to thwart Ukraine. At no
point did I or anyone at SpaceX promise coverage over Crimea. Moreover, our
terms of service clearly prohibit Starlink for offensive military action,
as we are a civilian system, so they were again asking for something that
was expressly prohibited. SpaceX is building Starshield for the US
government, which is similar to, but much smaller than Starlink, as it will
not have to handle millions of users. That system will be owned and
controlled by the US government.
Walter Isaacson
@WalterIsaacson
·
Sep 8
To clarify on the Starlink issue: the Ukrainians THOUGHT coverage was
enabled all the way to Crimea, but it was not. They asked Musk to enable it
for their drone sub attack on the Russian fleet. Musk did not enable it,
because he thought, probably correctly, that would cause a… Show more
<https://twitter.com/WalterIsaacson/status/1700342242290901361>

Furthermore, Musk stated yesterday that had the request come from the us
government, he would have complied.

I will refrain from editorializing.

--
Oct 30: https://netdevconf.info/0x17/news/the-maestro-and-the-music-bof.html
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos
Re: So what do you think about the scuttlebutt of Musk interfering in Ukraine? [ In reply to ]
Mr. Isaacson's tweet (or X , or whatever the hell it is now ) is
essentially saying Russia invading Ukraine was *not* a major war, but
Ukraine attacking back to defend itself would be. Exceptionally dumb
comment.

I also find it exceptionally rich that Musk uses their 'Terms of Service'
as a shield to justify an action, while at the same time openly ignoring
obligations on contracts his company signed with vendors and now former
employees. He sure does love to have it both ways.

Re: So what do you think about the scuttlebutt of Musk interfering in Ukraine? [ In reply to ]
perhaps this is not a nanog operational topic
Re: So what do you think about the scuttlebutt of Musk interfering in Ukraine? [ In reply to ]
*nods* likely plenty of similar examples by less polarizing people.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest-IX
http://www.midwest-ix.com

perhaps this is not a nanog operational topic
Re: So what do you think about the scuttlebutt of Musk interfering in Ukraine? [ In reply to ]
On 9/14/23 9:26 AM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> *nods* likely plenty of similar examples by less polarizing people.

Then lets hear them? It certainly seems like an  operational issue if
this starts to become common. How is it dealt with if at all beyond
diversity which is hard to come by with LEO systems?

Mike
Re: So what do you think about the scuttlebutt of Musk interfering in Ukraine? [ In reply to ]
On 9/14/23 6:34 AM, Dave Taht wrote:
> This is one of those threads where I do think folk would benefit from
> hearing from the horses' mouths. In a recent bio of musk published
> this past week, the author claimed that starlink withdrew service over
> crimea based on the knowledge it was going to be used for a surprise
> attack. Starlink - and that author - now state that (
> https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1700345943105638636 )
>
> The onus is meaningfully different if I refused to act upon a request
> from Ukraine vs. made a deliberate change to Starlink to thwart
> Ukraine. At no point did I or anyone at SpaceX promise coverage over
> Crimea. Moreover, our terms of service clearly prohibit Starlink for
> offensive military action, as we are a civilian system, so they were
> again asking for something that was expressly prohibited. SpaceX is
> building Starshield for the US government, which is similar to, but
> much smaller than Starlink, as it will not have to handle millions of
> users. That system will be owned and controlled by the US government.
> Walter Isaacson
> @WalterIsaacson
> ·
> Sep 8
> To clarify on the Starlink issue: the Ukrainians THOUGHT coverage was
> enabled all the way to Crimea, but it was not. They asked Musk to
> enable it for their drone sub attack on the Russian fleet. Musk did
> not enable it, because he thought, probably correctly, that would
> cause a…Show more
> <https://twitter.com/WalterIsaacson/status/1700342242290901361>
>
> Furthermore, Musk stated yesterday that had the request come from the
> us government, he would have complied.
>
> I will refrain from editorializing.

I guess this is a lesson on diversity which every military should pay
attention to. I had forgotten about other wireless options that Bill
pointed out, though I'm not sure if geostationary latency would fit
their requirements. But is trying to reclaim your territory "offensive"
after being invaded? How would other providers interpret that? Or maybe
this is just a unicorn.

Mike