Mailing List Archive

Spam from ARIN to POC addresses
At 14:01 and 14.46 EST I received two identical emails from meetings@arin-events.net with the subject “Join us for ARIN 52 in October”. One was sent to the NOC POC address and one to the abuse POC address for my ASN.

As far as I am aware, I never signed up for whatever that mailing list is and if I did I wouldn’t subscribe to it on those addresses. Furthermore, I am not seeing an unsubscribe button on either email. That makes both messages spam.

Considering I’ve never received messages like those from ARIN on those addresses, I’ll give ARIN the benefit of the doubt and say someone accidentally imported the wrong list of emails into their MSP. I hope this is not the start of a new pattern of behaviour because that would not be…good to put it mildly.

--
packetcat
https://bastetrix.com
Re: Spam from ARIN to POC addresses [ In reply to ]

> I hope this is not the start of a new pattern of behaviour because that
> would not be…good to put it mildly.

What exactly is "not good" about ARIN emailing about the ARIN Public Policy
and Members meeting, to email addresses on file related to ARIN assigned
resources?

Re: Spam from ARIN to POC addresses [ In reply to ]
I can help you get rid of pesky ARIN, let's start a 8.2 transfer!

Re: Spam from ARIN to POC addresses [ In reply to ]
On Sep 12, 2023, at 5:56 PM, packetcat <packetcat@bastetrix.com> wrote:

At 14:01 and 14.46 EST I received two identical emails from meetings@arin-events.net with the subject “Join us for ARIN 52 in October”. One was sent to the NOC POC address and one to the abuse POC address for my ASN.

As far as I am aware, I never signed up for whatever that mailing list is and if I did I wouldn’t subscribe to it on those addresses. Furthermore, I am not seeing an unsubscribe button on either email. That makes both messages spam.

Considering I’ve never received messages like those from ARIN on those addresses, I’ll give ARIN the benefit of the doubt and say someone accidentally imported the wrong list of emails into their MSP. I hope this is not the start of a new pattern of behaviour because that would not be…good to put it mildly.

Thanks for raising this… here’s how ARIN Meeting Invites are handled –

A series of announcements about registration and related reminders are sent to arin-announce and published on www.arin.net, including:
Registration Open – 12-16 weeks prior
Meeting Materials Available – 1 week prior
Meeting Open – Day 1

There are two direct email invitations:
Admin and Tech POCs within 100 – 150 miles of the meeting location – 45-30 days prior
Admin, Tech, and Voting Contacts for all Member organizations (Service and General) – “Per the VA nonstock corporation act - Formal notice (to membership) shall be no more than 60 days and no less than 10 days prior to the announced date of the special meeting.”
(Note that our registration system will dedupe so that contacts do not receive both of these emails.)

All ASN holders are now legal members of ARIN, and therefore by applicable law get notice of the meetings.

We could probably cut this list to just Admin and Voting by dropping Tech contacts, but you’d end up getting one via the Admin POC.
(you want to suggest such a change - or any other change on how our meeting announcements are handled, then please
submit such to the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process - https://www.arin.net/participate/community/acsp/process/ )

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers
Re: Spam from ARIN to POC addresses [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Sep 2023, at 14:40, John Curran wrote:
> Thanks for raising this… here’s how ARIN Meeting Invites are handled –
>
> A series of announcements about registration and related reminders are
> sent to arin-announce and published on www.arin.net, including:
>> Registration Open – 12-16 weeks prior
>> Meeting Materials Available – 1 week prior
>> Meeting Open – Day 1
>>
> There are two direct email invitations:
>> Admin and Tech POCs within 100 – 150 miles of the meeting location – 45-30 days prior
>> Admin, Tech, and Voting Contacts for all Member organizations (Service and General) – “Per the VA nonstock corporation act - Formal notice (to membership) shall be no more than 60 days and no less than 10 days prior to the announced date of the special meeting.”
> (Note that our registration system will dedupe so that contacts do not
> receive both of these emails.)
>
> All ASN holders are now legal members of ARIN, and therefore by
> applicable law get notice of the meetings.
>
> We could probably cut this list to just Admin and Voting by dropping
> Tech contacts, but you’d end up getting one via the Admin POC.
> (you want to suggest such a change - or any other change on how our
> meeting announcements are handled, then please
> submit such to the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process -
> https://www.arin.net/participate/community/acsp/process/ )
>
> Thanks!
> /John
>
> John Curran
> President and CEO
> American Registry for Internet Numbers

Thank you for your response John. My suggestion here is that legal text you quoted would be useful at the bottom of such emails so recipients know why they are getting them. I'll look into getting the suggestion submitted via the official channel.

--
packetcat
https://bastetrix.com