Adams 12 Five Star Schools
720.972.4110
michael.brooks@adams12.org
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"

--
This is a staff email account managed by Adams 12 Five Star Schools.  This
email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
On 8/16/23 16:16, michael brooks - ESC wrote:

> Perhaps (probably) naively, it seems to me that DPA would have been a
> useful BGP attribute. Can anyone shed light on why this RFC never
> moved beyond draft status? I cannot find much information on this
> other than IETF's data tracker
> (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-dpa/) and RFC6938
> (which implies DPA was in use, but then was deprecated).

I've never heard of this draft until now, but reading it, I can see why
it would likely not be adopted today (not sure what the consensus would
have been back in the '90's).

DPA looks like MED on drugs.

Not sure operators want remote downstream ISP's arbitrarily choosing
which of their peering interconnects (and backbone links) carry traffic
from source to them. BGP is a poor communicator of bandwidth and
shilling cost, in general. Those kinds of decisions tend to be locally
made, and permitting outside influence could be a rather hard sell.

It reminds me of how router vendors implemented GMPLS in the hopes that
optical operators would allow their customers to build and control
circuits in the optical domain in some fantastic fashion.

Or how router vendors built Sync-E and PTP into their routers hoping
that they could sell timing as a service to mobile network operators as
part of a RAN backhaul service.

Some things just tend to be sacred.

Mark.
Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
"prepend as-path" has taken its place.

Kind Regards,
Jakob

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 21:42:22 +0200
From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
On 8/17/23 21:43, Jakob Heitz (jheitz) via NANOG wrote:

> "prepend as-path" has taken its place.

That pours water on my imaginary fire :-).

I was imagining something sexier, especially given how pretty "useless"
AS_PATH prepending is nowadays.

Mark.
Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
Jakob,

With AS-PATH prepend you have no control on the choice of which ASN should
do what action on your advertisements.

However, the practice of publishing communities by (some) ASNs along with
their remote actions could be treated as an alternative to the DPA
attribute. It could result in remote PREPEND action too.

If only those communities would not be deleted by some transit networks

Thx,
R.

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
That's true Robert.
However, communities and med only work with neighbors.
Communities routinely get scrubbed because they cause increased memory usage and convergence time in routers.
Even new path attributes get scrubbed, because there have been bugs related to new ones in the past.
Here is a config snippet in XR

router bgp 23456
attribute-filter group testAF
attribute unrecognized discard
!
neighbor-group testNG
update in filtering
attribute-filter group testAF

The only thing that has any chance to go multiple ASes is as-path.
Need to be careful with that too because long ones get dropped.

route-policy testRP
if as-path length ge 200 then
drop
endif
end-policy

Kind Regards,
Jakob

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 21:42:22 +0200
From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
Hi Jakob,

On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 7:41?PM Jakob Heitz (jheitz) via NANOG <
nanog@nanog.org> wrote:

> That's true Robert.
>
> However, communities and med only work with neighbors.
>
> Communities routinely get scrubbed because they cause increased memory
> usage and convergence time in routers.

Considering that we are talking about control plane memory I think
the cost/space associated with storing communities is less then
negligible these days.

And honestly with the number of BGP update generation optimizations I would
not say that they contribute to longer protocol convergences in any
measurable way.

To me this is more of the no trust and policy reasons why communities get
dropped on the EBGP peerings.

Cheers,
R.

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
Perhaps to you Robert.
I work on code and with customer issues that escalate to code.

Kind Regards,
Jakob

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 21:42:22 +0200
From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
Jakob,

Considering how much various junk is being added to BGP protocol these days
communities are your least worry as far as RAM space and protocol
convergence time would be of any concern. Then you have those new concepts
of limited/trusted domains where blast radius of much higher caliber then
what communities would ever reach extends across ASNs.

It is interesting that not many folks from this list are participating in
IETF IDR WG and voice concerns in respect to new BGP extensions which in
the vast majority has nothing to do with Interdomain IPv4 or IPv6 routing.

While it is great that you keep fixing bugs I would encourage your
platform/RP designers to take a look at amazon memory and cpu prices and
make RPs a bit more powerful than average smartphones.

Cheers,
R.

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
We support platforms of various capacities.
While we would all like to sell the large ones, people buy the cheap ones too.

Kind Regards,
Jakob

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 21:42:22 +0200
From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
Fact remains, operators scrub communities and path-attributes for many reasons.
That's why as-path length is used as a traffic engineering mechanism over multiple AS hops.
As limited as it is, it's what we have.

Kind Regards,
Jakob

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 21:42:22 +0200
From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 12:31?PM Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> wrote:

> Hi Jakob,
>
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 7:41?PM Jakob Heitz (jheitz) via NANOG <
> nanog@nanog.org> wrote:
>
>> That's true Robert.
>>
>> However, communities and med only work with neighbors.
>>
>> Communities routinely get scrubbed because they cause increased memory
>> usage and convergence time in routers.
>>

> Considering that we are talking about control plane memory I think
> the cost/space associated with storing communities is less then
> negligible these days.
>
> And honestly with the number of BGP update generation optimizations I
> would not say that they contribute to longer protocol convergences in any
> measurable way.
>
> To me this is more of the no trust and policy reasons why communities get
> dropped on the EBGP peerings.
>
> Cheers,
> R.

Hi Robert,

Without naming any names, I will note that at some point in the
not-too-distant past, I was part of a new-years-eve-holiday-escalation to
$BACKBONE_ROUTER_PROVIDER when the global network I was involved with
started seeing excessive convergence times (greater than one hour from BGP
update message received to FIB being updated).
After tracking down development engineer from $RTR_PROVIDER on the new
years eve holiday, it was determined that the problem lay in assumptions
made about how communities were stored in memory. Think hashed buckets,
with linked lists within each bucket. If the communities all happened to
hash to the same bucket, the linked list in that bucket became extremely
long; and if every prefix coming in, say from multiple sessions with a
major transit provider, happened to be adding one more community to the
very long linked list in that one hash bucket, well, it ended up slowing
down the processing to the point where updates to the FIB were still
trickling in an hour after the BGP neighbor had finished sending updates
across.

A new hash function was developed on New Year's day, and a new version of
code was built for us to deploy under relatively painful circumstances.

It's easy to say "Considering that we are talking about control
plane memory I think the cost/space associated with storing communities is
less then negligible these days."
The reality is very different, because it's not just about efficiently
*storing* communities, it's really about efficiently *parsing and updating*
communities--and the choices made there absolutely *DO* "contribute to
longer protocol convergences in any measurable way."

Matt
(the names have been obscured to increase my chances of being hireable in
the industry again at some future date. ;)
Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
> it's really about efficiently *parsing and updating* communities--

Absolutely correct.

Inefficient implementations of how communities are used in inbound or
outbound policies can do a lot of harm - no doubt about that - and as you
say some surface in least convenient moments.

But the point I was making is that this is not the fault of the Community
Attribute itself but rather the poor implementation choice.

Kind regards,
RR

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
On 8/18/23 09:38, Robert Raszuk wrote:
> Jakob,
>
> With AS-PATH prepend you have no control on the choice of which ASN
> should do what action on your advertisements.

My comprehension of DPA would have been more directed than the "spray &
pray" approach AS_PATH prepending provides.

> However, the practice of publishing communities by (some) ASNs along
> with their remote actions could be treated as an alternative to the
> DPA attribute. It could result in remote PREPEND action too.
>
> If only those communities would not be deleted by some transit
> networks ....

Even then, communities have best efficacy at the closest interconnect
with the network that is using them. Since community values are
generally not coordinated Internet-wide, it would take a laborious
effort to construct the right set of communities to achieve the desired
outcome for an end-to-end source or destination path, assuming those
communities were not mangled in flight.

Mark.
Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
On 8/18/23 19:38, Jakob Heitz (jheitz) via NANOG wrote:

> That's true Robert.
>
> However, communities and med only work with neighbors.
>
> Communities routinely get scrubbed because they cause increased memory
> usage and convergence time in routers.

Really?

We only scrub a specific string of communities that would trigger
undesired outcomes in our network if received from customers. Otherwise,
we pass on what we receive and just add our own bits... matches will
still occur?

In 2023 control planes, I can't think of an obvious reason to justify
that communities are scrubbed to save memory.

Mark.
Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
On 8/18/23 22:20, Jakob Heitz (jheitz) via NANOG wrote:

> We support platforms of various capacities.
>
> While we would all like to sell the large ones, people buy the cheap
> ones too.

Even a bare bones x86 platform of some sort with at least 8GB of RAM
would make the cheapest routers still, well, cheap.

Mark.
Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
On 8/18/23 22:40, Matthew Petach wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Without naming any names, I will note that at some point in the
> not-too-distant past, I was part of a new-years-eve-holiday-escalation
> to $BACKBONE_ROUTER_PROVIDER when the global network I was involved
> with started seeing excessive convergence times (greater than one hour
> from BGP update message received to FIB being updated).
> After tracking down development engineer from $RTR_PROVIDER on the new
> years eve holiday, it was determined that the problem lay in
> assumptions made about how communities were stored in memory.  Think
> hashed buckets, with linked lists within each bucket.  If the
> communities all happened to hash to the same bucket, the linked list
> in that bucket became extremely long; and if every prefix coming in,
> say from multiple sessions with a major transit provider, happened to
> be adding one more community to the very long linked list in that one
> hash bucket, well, it ended up slowing down the processing to the
> point where updates to the FIB were still trickling in an hour after
> the BGP neighbor had finished sending updates across.
>
> A new hash function was developed on New Year's day, and a new version
> of code was built for us to deploy under relatively painful
> circumstances.
>
> It's easy to say "Considering that we are talking about control
> plane memory I think the cost/space associated with storing
> communities is less then negligible these days."
> The reality is very different, because it's not just about efficiently
> *storing* communities, it's really about efficiently *parsing and
> updating* communities--and the choices made there absolutely *DO*
> "contribute to longer protocol convergences in any measurable way."
>
> Matt
> (the names have been obscured to increase my chances of being hireable
> in the industry again at some future date. ;)

To be fair, you are talking about an arbitrary value of years back, on
boxes you don't name running code you won't mention.

This really not saying much :-).

Corner cases, while valid, do not speak to the majority. If this was a
major issue, there would have been more noise about it by now.

There has been quite some noise about lengthy AS_PATH updates that bring
some routers down, which has usually been fixed with improved BGP code.
But even those are not too common, if one considers a 365-day period.

Mark.
Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 2:36?PM Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa> wrote:

> [...]
> To be fair, you are talking about an arbitrary value of years back, on
> boxes you don't name running code you won't mention.
>
> This really not saying much :-).

Hi Mark,

I know it's annoying that I won't mention specifics.
Unfortunately, the last time I mentioned $vendor-specific information on
NANOG, it was picked up by the press, and turned into a multimillion dollar
kerfuffle with me at the center of the cross-hairs:
https://www.google.com/search?q=petach+kablooie&sca_esv=558180114&nirf=petah+kablooie&filter=0&biw=1580&bih=1008&dpr=2

After that, I've learned it's best to not name specific very-big-name
vendors on NANOG posts.

What I *can* say is that this was one of the primary vendors in the
Internet backbone space, running mainstream code.
The only reason it didn't affect more networks was a function of the
particular cluster of signalling communities being applied to all inbound
prefixes, and how they interacted with the vendor's hash algorithm.

Corner cases, while valid, do not speak to the majority. If this was a
> major issue, there would have been more noise about it by now.

I prefer to look at it the other way; the reason you didn't hear more noise
about it, is that we stubbed our toes on it early, and had relatively fast,
direct access to the development engineers to get it fixed within two
days. It's precisely *bcause* people trip over corner cases and get them
fixed that they don't end up causing more widespread pain across the rest
of the Internet.

> There has been quite some noise about lengthy AS_PATH updates that bring
> some routers down, which has usually been fixed with improved BGP code. But
> even those are not too common, if one considers a 365-day period.

Oh, absolutely. Bugs in implementations that either crash the router or
reset the BGP session are much more immediately visible than "that's odd,
it's taking my routers longer to converge than it should".

How many networks actually track their convergence time in a time series
database, and look at unusual trends, and then diagnose why the convergence
time is increasing, versus how many networks just note an increasing number
of "hey, your network seems to be slowing down" and throw more hardware at
the problem, while grumbling about why their big expensive routers seem to
be less powerful than a *nix box running gated?

I suspect there's more of these type of "corner cases" out there than you
recognize.
It's just that most networks don't dig into routing performance issues
unless it actually breaks the router, or kills BGP adjacencies.

If you *are* one of the few networks that tracks your router's convergence
time over time, and identifies and resolves unexpected increases in
convergence time, then yes, you absolutely have standing to tell me to pipe
down and go back into my corner again. ;D

> Mark.

Thanks!

Matt
Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
On 8/19/23 00:22, Matthew Petach wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I know it's annoying that I won't mention specifics.
> Unfortunately, the last time I mentioned $vendor-specific information
> on NANOG, it was picked up by the press, and turned into a
> multimillion dollar kerfuffle with me at the center of the cross-hairs:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=petach+kablooie&sca_esv=558180114&nirf=petah+kablooie&filter=0&biw=1580&bih=1008&dpr=2
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=petach+kablooie&sca_esv=558180114&nirf=petah+kablooie&filter=0&biw=1580&bih=1008&dpr=2>
>
> After that, I've learned it's best to not name specific very-big-name
> vendors on NANOG posts.
>
> What I *can* say is that this was one of the primary vendors in the
> Internet backbone space, running mainstream code.
> The only reason it didn't affect more networks was a function of the
> particular cluster of signalling communities being applied to all
> inbound prefixes, and how they interacted with the vendor's hash
> algorithm.
>
> Corner cases, while valid, do not speak to the majority. If this
> was a major issue, there would have been more noise about it by now.
>

> I prefer to look at it the other way; the reason you didn't hear more
> noise about it, is that we stubbed our toes on it early, and had
> relatively fast, direct access to the development engineers to get it
> fixed within two days.  It's precisely *bcause* people trip over
> corner cases and get them fixed that they don't end up causing more
> widespread pain across the rest of the Internet.
>
> There has been quite some noise about lengthy AS_PATH updates that
> bring some routers down, which has usually been fixed with
> improved BGP code. But even those are not too common, if one
> considers a 365-day period.
>

> Oh, absolutely.  Bugs in implementations that either crash the router
> or reset the BGP session are much more immediately visible than
> "that's odd, it's taking my routers longer to converge than it should".
>
> How many networks actually track their convergence time in a time
> series database, and look at unusual trends, and then diagnose why the
> convergence time is increasing, versus how many networks just note an
> increasing number of "hey, your network seems to be slowing down" and
> throw more hardware at the problem, while grumbling about why their
> big expensive routers seem to be less powerful than a *nix box running
> gated?
>
> I suspect there's more of these type of "corner cases" out there than
> you recognize.
> It's just that most networks don't dig into routing performance issues
> unless it actually breaks the router, or kills BGP adjacencies.
>
> If you *are* one of the few networks that tracks your router's
> convergence time over time, and identifies and resolves unexpected
> increases in convergence time, then yes, you absolutely have standing
> to tell me to pipe down and go back into my corner again.  ;D

So, while this all sounds good, without any specifics on vendor, box,
code, code revision number, fix, year it happened, current status,
e.t.c., I can't offer any meaningful engagement.

We all run into odd stuff as we operate this Internet, but the point of
a list like this is to share those details so we can learn, fix and move
forward.

Your ambiguity does not lend itself to a helpful discussion,
notwithstanding my understanding of your caution.

I am less concerned about keeping smiles on vendors' faces. I tell them
in public and private if they are great or not. But since you've been
burned, I get. It's just not moving the needle on this thread, though.

Mark.
Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 18 Aug 2023, Matthew Petach wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Without naming any names, I will note that at some point in the not-too-distant past, I was part of a new-years-eve-holiday-escalation to $BACKBONE_ROUTER_PROVIDER when
> the global network I was involved with started seeing excessive convergence times (greater than one hour from BGP update message received to FIB being updated).
> After tracking down development engineer from $RTR_PROVIDER on the new years eve holiday, it was determined that the problem lay in assumptions made about how communities
> were stored in memory.  Think hashed buckets, with linked lists within each bucket.  If the communities all happened to hash to the same bucket, the linked list in that
> bucket became extremely long; and if every prefix coming in, say from multiple sessions with a major transit provider, happened to be adding one more community to the very
> long linked list in that one hash bucket, well, it ended up slowing down the processing to the point where updates to the FIB were still trickling in an hour after the BGP
> neighbor had finished sending updates across.
>
> A new hash function was developed on New Year's day, and a new version of code was built for us to deploy under relatively painful circumstances.

This reminds me of two things.

First, some code I wrote more than 20 years ago to track and bill for
overlapping dial-up sessions (i.e. dial-up account sharing). Processing
the RADIUS accounting data, I built a binary tree of users with each node
having a linked list of session data. I found while testing it, that as
the amount of data fed in grew, the program got slower. I solved it by
converting the session data linked lists to doubly linked lists, allowing
me to add session data to the lists by jumping directly to the end, seeing
if that's where the current session belonged, and walking back the list
if necessary, but generally it was not since the input data was generally
in chronological order. That made it super fast again.

Second, we ran into an issue with Arista some time ago and a peer on
AMS-IX that set a ridiculous number of communities on their routes.
Arista uses (used?) a fixed length buffer for communities in route-map
processing and when doing "match community" in a route-map, if the set of
communities on the route is longer than the fixed length buffer, and the
communitites you're trying to match fall off the end, your route map match
statement will fail to match, even though a show ip bgp... will show you
that the communities you're trying to match are there.

Jon Lewis, MCP :) | I route
StackPath, Sr. Neteng | therefore you are
Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]

> So, while this all sounds good, without any specifics on vendor, box,
> code, code revision number, fix, year it happened, current status, e.t.c.,
> I can't offer any meaningful engagement.

If you clicked Matt's link to the Google search, you could tell from the
results what vendor , model, and year it was pretty quickly.

> It's just not moving the needle on this thread, though.

Assertion Made : "Networks can scrub communities for memory or convergence
reasons."
Others : "That doesn't seem like a concern. "
Matt : "Here was a real situation that happened where it was a concern, and
the specifics on the reason why."

How is that not 'moving the needle? Because you didn't get full transcripts
of his conversation with the vendor?. I'm sure a lot of people didn't even
know that hashing / memory hotspotting was even a thing. Now they do.

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
On 8/21/23 17:44, Tom Beecher wrote:

> So, while this all sounds good, without any specifics on vendor,
> box, code, code revision number, fix, year it happened, current
> status, e.t.c., I can't offer any meaningful engagement.
>

> If you clicked Matt's link to the Google search, you could tell from
> the results what vendor , model, and year it was pretty quickly.

I did.

Those are headlines.

The solider that was on the battlefield won't speak to the exact details.

I won't press, especially because nobody that needed a T1600 back then
probably still runs one today.

> Assertion Made : "Networks can scrub communities for memory or
> convergence reasons."
> Others : "That doesn't seem like a concern. "
> Matt : "Here was a real situation that happened where it was a
> concern, and the specifics on the reason why."
>
> How is that not 'moving the needle? Because you didn't get full
> transcripts of his conversation with the vendor?. I'm sure a lot of
> people didn't even know that hashing / memory hotspotting was even a
> thing. Now they do.

There are a lot of things that vendors have fixed in BGP that we shall
never know.

What I am saying is that for those that have been fixed, unless someone
can offer up any additional evidence in 2023, the size of the number of
BGP communities attached to a path does not scream "danger" in 2023
hardware. And the T1600 is a looooong time ago.

Mark.
Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]

> What I am saying is that for those that have been fixed, unless someone
> can offer up any additional evidence in 2023, the size of the number of BGP
> communities attached to a path does not scream "danger" in 2023 hardware.
> And the T1600 is a looooong time ago.

Again, as it was stated, the size of or number of BGP communities wasn't
the problem anyway; it was hashing / memory storage. And you know what?
Hashing / memory storage HAS been a problem with multiple vendors in many
other contexts, not just BGP community stuff. Has nothing to do with "2023
hardware". You can bog down top of the line DDR5 memory pretty easily if
you make certain coding choices.

You can choose ( as you apparently have ) to just presume that a problem
that happened before won't ever happen again. Prob not a great idea though.

Re: Destination Preference Attribute for BGP [ In reply to ]
On 8/22/23 16:46, Tom Beecher wrote:

> Again, as it was stated, the size of or number of BGP communities
> wasn't the problem anyway; it was hashing / memory storage. And you
> know what? Hashing / memory storage HAS been a problem with multiple
> vendors in many other contexts, not just BGP community stuff. Has
> nothing to do with "2023 hardware". You can bog down top of the line
> DDR5 memory pretty easily if you make certain coding choices.

I suppose that can be said of anything in our industry. There is always
a way we can hurt ourselves, especially if we ignore or have not learned
our lessons.

With the information that I have, I don't consider it a massive issue at
the moment. Of course, that is always a changing landscape, and my views
may alter when that happens sufficiently. But as of now, I am dealing
with far more severe BGP bugs than what appears to have been, at least
for the moment, fixed.

> You can choose ( as you apparently have ) to just presume that a
> problem that happened before won't ever happen again. Prob not a great
> idea though.

Ummh, okay...

Mark.

1 2  View All