Anyone know anything about this AS:

https://bgp.he.net/AS327933

Mark.
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
Hi Mark,

On 10/08/2023 11:55, Mark Tinka wrote:
> Anyone know anything about this AS:
> https://bgp.he.net/AS327933

from a 2019 DB snapshot:

aut-num: AS327933
as-name: GROUPE-TELECOM-SPRL
descr: GROUPE TELECOM SPRL
status: ASSIGNED
org: ORG-GTS2-AFRINIC
admin-c: YM8-AFRINIC
tech-c: YM9-AFRINIC
notify: ***@gtl-rdcongo.com
mnt-lower: GTS2-MNT
mnt-routes: GTS2-MNT
mnt-by: AFRINIC-HM-MNT
changed: ***@afrinic.net 20150917
source: AFRINIC

I think the most common way to get out of this DB is to not pay something.

I'd guess that

aut-num: AS37451
as-name: CongoTelecom
descr: CONGO TELECOM

has a relationship with them and AS327933 wanted to prepend 2x [1] to
their sole provider..... (AS37451)

Frank

[1]
https://bgp.he.net/AS327933#_graph4
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
> On 10 Aug 2023, at 10:57, Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa> wrote:
>
> ? Hi all.
Hi Mark,

> Anyone know anything about this AS:
>
> https://bgp.he.net/AS327933

I know someone you might know them. Happy to introduce off-list.

> Mark.

Cheers.

Darwin-.
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
On 8/10/23 11:38, Frank Habicht wrote:

> from a 2019 DB snapshot:
>
> aut-num:        AS327933
> as-name:        GROUPE-TELECOM-SPRL
> descr:          GROUPE TELECOM SPRL
> status:         ASSIGNED
> org:            ORG-GTS2-AFRINIC
> admin-c:        YM8-AFRINIC
> tech-c:         YM9-AFRINIC
> notify:         ***@gtl-rdcongo.com
> mnt-lower:      GTS2-MNT
> mnt-routes:     GTS2-MNT
> mnt-by:         AFRINIC-HM-MNT
> changed:        ***@afrinic.net 20150917
> source:         AFRINIC
>
> I think the most common way to get out of this DB is to not pay
> something.
>
> I'd guess that
>
> aut-num:        AS37451
> as-name:        CongoTelecom
> descr:          CONGO TELECOM
>
> has a relationship with them and AS327933 wanted to prepend 2x [1] to
> their sole provider.....  (AS37451)

We are seeing some weird routing from them, and the AS2 they are
attached to (University of Delaware) seems odd.

Not sure if any of the American folk on this list can verify AS2 is
really part of the University of Delaware...

Mark.
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
On 8/10/23 12:01, dc@darwincosta.com wrote:

> I know someone you might know them. Happy to introduce off-list.

Yes, Darwin. That would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Mark.
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
On 10/08/2023 16:02, Mark Tinka wrote:

> We are seeing some weird routing from them, and the AS2 they are
> attached to (University of Delaware) seems odd.
>
> Not sure if any of the American folk on this list can verify AS2 is
> really part of the University of Delaware...
>
> Mark.

ouch!
I see in your LG that this AS 2 is originating 197.157.254.0/24 .

which seems to mean that it's not just a plain "we want to prepend 2
times, put the number 2 into config and the NOS takes this as the ASN to
insert"

putting someone from AS37451 into BCC.

ouch again!
looking for "show ip bgp regexp _37451 2_" in Mark's LG, i see there are
many originated and downstream's prefixes of AS37451 affected.

So i'd now thing it's a AS37451 issue, not AS327933 alone.

Frank
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
AS2 is the most hijacked prefix in the world.  Yes UD still owns it,
but since different router vendors use different methods of prepending
AS numbers, many folks try to prepend twice and end up announcing
on AS2..

thanks
mike

--
Mike Davis
Lead Network Architect
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
On 8/10/23 15:22, Frank Habicht wrote:

> ouch!
> I see in your LG that this AS 2 is originating 197.157.254.0/24 .
>
> which seems to mean that it's not just a plain "we want to prepend 2
> times, put the number 2 into config and the NOS takes this as the ASN
> to insert"
>
> putting someone from  AS37451 into BCC.
>
> ouch again!
> looking for "show ip bgp regexp _37451 2_" in Mark's LG, i see there
> are many originated and downstream's prefixes of AS37451 affected.

Right, these are the "odd" issues I am referring to that we are looking
into.

> So i'd now thing it's a AS37451 issue, not AS327933 alone.

Needless to say that the grapevine seems to claim that AS327933 is
announcing bogons.

We are reaching out to our customer (China Telecom) who is their
provider to investigate.

Thanks, Frank.

Mark.
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
> We are seeing some weird routing from them, and the AS2 they are
> attached to (University of Delaware) seems odd.

classic microtik prepend syntax confusion?

randy
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
On 8/10/23 20:43, Randy Bush wrote:

> classic microtik prepend syntax confusion?

Uncertain. I have a Mikrotik CPE for my home router, but I can't tell
you how BGP works on it.

It seems that AS2, in the path, is not genuine. We are verifying that,
though.

Mark.
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
Haha :) you are right.
I just checked Caida AS ranking:
http://as-rank.uu3.net/?as=2

A lot of "providers" for UDEL-DCN. Yeah right..
They all indeed probably try to prepend their AS 2 times
ending up having ASN 2 in path.

Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
On 8/11/23 10:15, borg@uu3.net wrote:
> Haha :) you are right.
> I just checked Caida AS ranking:
> http://as-rank.uu3.net/?as=2
>
> A lot of "providers" for UDEL-DCN. Yeah right..
> They all indeed probably try to prepend their AS 2 times
> ending up having ASN 2 in path.
Did I miss the memo where vendors went from explicitly defining the AS
multiple times to determine the number of prepends, to, this :-)?

Mark.
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
Mark Tinka wrote on 11/08/2023 09:43:
> Did I miss the memo where vendors went from explicitly defining the AS
> multiple times to determine the number of prepends, to, this :-)?

yep, sure did. Check out the "set-bgp-prepend" action on routeros -
it's right next to "set-bgp-prepend-path".

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Routing/Routing_filters

<watches Mark's face as it dawns on him why this happens so regularly>

Nick
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
On 8/11/23 11:08, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> yep, sure did.  Check out the "set-bgp-prepend" action on routeros -
> it's right next to "set-bgp-prepend-path".
>
> https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Routing/Routing_filters
>
> <watches Mark's face as it dawns on him why this happens so regularly>

So how would one fumble it to the degree where a fat-finger results in
what should be a prepend becoming an AS_PATH?

Genuine question - I have zero experience with Mikrotik in an SP role.

Mark.
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
Mark Tinka wrote on 11/08/2023 10:17:
> So how would one fumble it to the degree where a fat-finger results in
> what should be a prepend becoming an AS_PATH?
>
> Genuine question - I have zero experience with Mikrotik in an SP role.

If your asn is 327933, then:

add chain=foo prefix=192.0.2.0/24 action=accept set-bgp-prepend=2

... will produce: "327933 327933", and:

add chain=foo prefix=192.0.2.0/24 action=accept set-bgp-prepend-path=2

... will produce: "327933 2".

Routeros does command completion on the CLI, so this is finger-slip
territory, and the two commands are visually similarly enough to each
other that it would be easy not to notice.

Nick
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
On 8/11/23 11:26, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> If your asn is 327933, then:
>
> add chain=foo prefix=192.0.2.0/24 action=accept set-bgp-prepend=2
>
> ... will produce: "327933 327933", and:
>
> add chain=foo prefix=192.0.2.0/24 action=accept set-bgp-prepend-path=2
>
> ... will produce: "327933 2".
>
> Routeros does command completion on the CLI, so this is finger-slip
> territory, and the two commands are visually similarly enough to each
> other that it would be easy not to notice.

It is not terribly clever of Mikrotik to have two commands that do
different things be that close in syntax.

That said, why are we giving the routers the ability to manually
generate AS_PATH's? On any router OS, this is simply asking for it.

Mark.
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
Mark Tinka wrote on 11/08/2023 10:33:
> It is not terribly clever of Mikrotik to have two commands that do
> different things be that close in syntax.

no, indeed.

> That said, why are we giving the routers the ability to manually
> generate AS_PATH's? On any router OS, this is simply asking for it.

bgp is a policy based distance vector protocol. If you can't adjust the
primary inter-domain metric to handle your policy requirements, it's not
much use.

Nick
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
On 8/11/23 02:26, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> If your asn is 327933, then:
>
> add chain=foo prefix=192.0.2.0/24 action=accept set-bgp-prepend=2
>
> ... will produce: "327933 327933", and:
>
> add chain=foo prefix=192.0.2.0/24 action=accept set-bgp-prepend-path=2
>
> ... will produce: "327933 2".
>
> Routeros does command completion on the CLI, so this is finger-slip
> territory, and the two commands are visually similarly enough to each
> other that it would be easy not to notice.

In other news, Mikrotik users at that ASN are discovering that 327,933
prepends may be a bit excessive.

--
Jay Hennigan - jay@west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
On 8/11/23 12:56, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> bgp is a policy based distance vector protocol. If you can't adjust
> the primary inter-domain metric to handle your policy requirements,
> it's not much use.

I am not talking about appending one's own AS in the AS_PATH. I am
talking about appending someone else's AS in the AS_PATH.

To be fair, I have never had to do that, since I've always thought it
would be considered bad form. But I suspect that on the simple BGP
mechanics of it, no vendor would be able to prevent that in any
meaningful way.

Then again, path hijacking likely wasn't a thought at the time the
Border Gateway Protocol was being conceived.

Mark.
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
BGP was indeed designed in an era when trust was implicit. Introducing
ASPA to sign a cryptographic list of authorized providers steps in the
right direction. By validating both AS_PATH and route origin, the
chances of BGP hijack and misconfigurations can be substantially
reduced.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidrops-aspa-verification/

--
August
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
Looking at this I also saw that for a short time some prefixes belonging to AS37451 were announced by AS2454388738 (see [0] and [1]).
Anybody have a smart idea which command could have caused this?

[0] https://stat.ripe.net/ui2013/widget/bgp-update-activity#w.starttime=2023-08-10T23%3A00%3A00&w.endtime=2023-08-11T23%3A00%3A00&w.resource=AS2454388738
[1] https://stat.ripe.net/ui2013/widget/announced-prefixes#w.resource=AS2454388738&w.min_peers_seeing=3

Malte

Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
Malte Tashiro wrote on 12/08/2023 04:50:
> Looking at this I also saw that for a short time some prefixes belonging
> to AS37451 were announced by AS2454388738 (see [0] and [1]).
> Anybody have a smart idea which command could have caused this?

AS2454388738 == AS37451.2, in asdot format.

Nick
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
Mark Tinka [mark@tinka.africa] wrote:

> It is not terribly clever of Mikrotik to have two commands that do different
> things be that close in syntax.

It should be a huge embarrasment to the designers. They survive on low price and unique features. It would be quite amazing to have a CLI without the nonsense.
Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]

> It should be a huge embarrasment to the designers. They survive on low
> price and unique features. It would be quite amazing to have a CLI without
> the nonsense.

That ship sailed years ago. Even though the legal precedent was set after
Cisco vs Arista that CLI elements that are of common , standard usage
aren't copyrightable, nobody wants to take the risk. So they come up with
other ways that tend to be not good.

Re: Dodgy AS327933 ...? [ In reply to ]
Most people I know don't even use the CLI. They use Winbox.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP

> It is not terribly clever of Mikrotik to have two commands that do different
> things be that close in syntax.

It should be a huge embarrasment to the designers. They survive on low price and unique features. It would be quite amazing to have a CLI without the nonsense.

1 2  View All