Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  View All
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
Mark,

ARIN rules require every IP space holder to publish accurate — and effective — Admin, Tech, and Abuse POCs. The DOD hasn’t done this, as I pointed out, and as you can test for yourself. Your expectation that the DOD will “generally comply with all of the expected norms” is sorely naive, and already disproven.

As far as “why does anyone on the Internet need to publish to your arbitrary standards”, you seem to forget that in the U.S., the government is accountable to the People. Where a private company may not have to explain its purposes, the government most certainly does in the private sector. With these IP spaces being thrust into the civilian realm, yes, they owe the citizenry an explanation of their actions, just as they would if they had started mounting missile launchers on highway overpasses. It’s a direct militarization of a civilian utility.

Keep in mind that the U.S. Government — under all administrations — has shown that it will abuse every technical advantage it can, as long as it can do so in secret. Perhaps you’ve forgotten James Clapper, the former director of national intelligence, who falsely testified to Congress that the government does “not wittingly” collect the telephone records of millions of Americans. And he was just the tip of the iceberg. Before Clapper under Obama there was the Bush administration’s Stellar Wind" warrantless surveillance program. The list of government abuse of civilian resources is colossal .

Fighting against that isn’t political. It’s patriotic.

-mel

Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
> On Apr 25, 2021, at 9:40 AM, Mel Beckman <mel@beckman.org> wrote:
> It’s a direct militarization of a civilian utility.

I think I’d characterize it, rather, as a possible privatization of public property.

If someone builds a house in the middle of a public park, it’s not _what they’re doing in the house_ that concerns me.

-Bill
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
Is the DoD still the owner?

--
Christian de Larrinaga
https://firsthand.net
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
Hi Mel,

I'd expect ARIN to hold them to account for complying with ARIN rules,
if they are subject.  In years gone by, I have been able to contact US
DoD organisations using published contact methods to address technical
issues. So even if there's technical non-compliance (which i'd agree
should be addressed), it could be a lot worse.

As for the DoD's accountability via your system of government, my view
would be that instead of bogon-filtering addresses legitimately
appearing in your BGP, with the justification being "they havn't
before!", you could consider asking them via channels. Like
https://open.defense.gov/transparency/foia.aspx for example.  But i'm
not a citizen of the United States, so will happily plead ignorance as
to whether this is likely to lead you to what you want to know or not.

In my country the government is also accountable to the people. But that
doesn't mean I would expect an Internet Service Provider to deliberately
sabotage the network access of their customers, either. Starts to feel
like a net neutrality argument again.

Mark.

PS: If DoD make use of IP address space that they legitimately hold, i'm
not sure you can call it a civilian resource, despite it interacting
with civilian counterparts.  Any consumable held by a military
organisation is a military resource and they'll make use of it based on
their operational requirements. The best comparison I could think of,
would be fuel (gasoline/petroleum/diesel/Jet-A1), all of which has both
military and civilian application.

Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
Mr. Beckman -

As noted by Mark Foster below, the listed contact information for the DoD address blocks is indeed correct, and (as you yourself confirmed) may be used to successfully contact the organization. ARIN does not have the mandate to force any organization “to deal” with any other, but I can assure you that the contacts listed for the resources in the ARIN registry have been used to resolve actual technical problems without any difficultly.

Best wishes,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers

RE: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
This is true and very interesting, but the opposite is also true.

They are now reachable from probably nearly anywhere and therefore open for business. ????

Let's see what will slowly appear in shodan.io and shadowserver.org

Jean