Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  View All
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
On 20 Jan 2021, at 12:17 PM, Bryan Fields <Bryan@bryanfields.net<mailto:Bryan@bryanfields.net>> wrote:

AFAIK IANA and the RIR's cannot enforce use of IP space assignments on any
network.

<chuckle> While route hijacking isn't necessarily an ARIN issue, I will note that several US law enforcement agencies (FBI & NCIS Cybercrime units) are quite interested in such events and do investigate them looking for criminal activity.

(See https://pc.nanog.org/static/published/meetings/NANOG77/2108/20191028_Elverson_Your_As_Is_v1.pdf for details.)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
On 1/20/21 12:52 PM, John Curran wrote:

> <chuckle>  While route hijacking isn't necessarily an ARIN issue, I will note that several US law enforcement agencies (FBI & NCIS Cybercrime units) are quite interested in such events and do investigate them looking for criminal activity.
>
> (See https://pc.nanog.org/static/published/meetings/NANOG77/2108/20191028_Elverson_Your_As_Is_v1.pdf for details.)

I think the difference is semantic but a very important one nonetheless.

Announcing a netblock that isn't yours and that you don't have authorization to use to others under the same terms and assumptions as you announce those to which you do hold legitimate rights or otherwise purporting to be a legitimate user of them on what we know as the "public Internet", that is the Internet where numbers are managed by IANA and the relevant RIRs is a "big deal".

Using numbers in a manner contrary to how they are assigned on the "public Internet" within a more limited scope where everybody agrees that the use of such numbers may be contrary to IANA and relevant RIR assignments is more along the lines of "you operate your network however you want".

Other things would fall under the same purview. For example "alternate root" DNS hierarchies with extra TLDs or even TLDs used in contrast to ICANN recommendations would have similar considerations.
--
Brandon Martin
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
Brandon -

Agreed – the key phrase being "within a more limited scope” …

/John

Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 20, 2021, at 07:11 , Brandon Martin <lists.nanog@monmotha.net> wrote:
>
> On 1/20/21 9:58 AM, j k wrote:
>> My question becomes, what level of risk are these companies taking on by using the DoD ranges on their internal networks? And have they quantified the costs of this outage against moving to IPv6?
>
> Honestly I can't think of much unless maybe they're a defense contractor that would potentially end up with DoD ranges (non-isolated/classified networks) in their view of the global routing table. Appropriately treating it like "my networks" and/or RFC1918 in your routing policies (not exporting it, not accepting routes for it, etc.) would be required to properly ensure network stability of course.

Do you think this still holds true if DoD were to (e.g.) sell that space to $CLOUD_PROVIDER or $ISP or $SUPPLIER or…?

I don’t have any knowledge of any events surrounding this space currently, but I do know that press releases and congress have discussed that possibility, so it cannot be ruled out.

Owen
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
On 1/20/21 1:48 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Do you think this still holds true if DoD were to (e.g.) sell that space to $CLOUD_PROVIDER or $ISP or $SUPPLIER or…?
>
> I don’t have any knowledge of any events surrounding this space currently, but I do know that press releases and congress have discussed that possibility, so it cannot be ruled out.

This is a risk you take when using squad space of any form. DoD space
is somewhat uniquely "safe" in this regard but not immune to such things.

Honestly I'd be just about as worried as a potential legitimate non-DoD
public Internet user of that space about reachability issues as I would
as someone squatting on it internally within my network about it
becoming a part of the common global routing table.

I also suspect your typical large corporate environment cares less about
broad, global reachability than other Internet users in many cases.
--
Brandon Martin
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
> On Wednesday, January 20, 2021 13:48, Owen DeLong <...> wrote:
>
> Do you think this still holds true if DoD were to (e.g.) sell that space
> to $CLOUD_PROVIDER or $ISP or $SUPPLIER or??
>
> I don?t have any knowledge of any events surrounding this space
> currently, but I do know that press releases and congress have
> discussed that possibility, so it cannot be ruled out.

There's this old blog post from 2010: T-Mobile: Clever or Insane?

https://blog.wireshark.org/2010/04/t-mobile-clever-or-insane/

Best regards,

Jim Y.
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
----- On Jan 20, 2021, at 6:58 AM, j k <jsklein@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> My question becomes, what level of risk are these companies taking on by using
> the DoD ranges on their internal networks? And have they quantified the costs
> of this outage against moving to IPv6?

Not so long ago, while working for a large enterprise, my team was considering
the use of non-advertised public IP space when we realized we were close to
running out of RFC1918 space. Eventually we decided against it as we had enough
options to reclaim unused RFC1918 from within the company. However, we had a
number of arguments against the use of public ranges:

- The risk of owners deciding to advertise their space. If so, since we operated
a popular ecommerce site, there would be a huge risk of users encountering
issues.
- The risk of inadvertent security issues. People using RFC1918 space, even the
most network-illiterate dev, know that RFC1918 space is not accessible from
the big bad internet. This (perceived) safety is absent when using public
IP space.
- The risk of misconfiguring firewalls. Obviously, most of the policies cover
RFC1918 space. Introducing non-RFC1918 space encourages human error.
- The risk of looking like fools if we would accidentally leak. Let's be honest.
There are two groups of people on this list. Those who have accidentally leaked
and those who will. I learned from my mistake(s).

As for IPv6: I know I sound like a broken record but one does not simply walk
into Mordor and migrate to IPv6. In a large enterprise, especially with one
using a lot of old code to support a highly popular webapp, it is easier to
move a mountain than it is to get all nosed aligned. The network group(s),
corp, lab, DC, backbone, may all be ready, but that does not mean that your
cloud, kubernetes, frontend, backend, operations, and billing groups are
ready. Migrating to IPv6 is a cost, as there is no ROI. It is a cost center,
not an investment. Surely, we all on this list know that it is a mandatory
expense to ensure future delivery of services, but explain that to a VP with
limited budgets. Are they going for the short term win of new features, or for
the long term "win" of retaining revenue? We all know what their bonuses are
based on.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating against v6. I'm merely explaining how
difficult it can be to migrate. In most large companies, the network is like
PG&E (the power utility California). If it works, nobody says well done. But if
the power is out, everyone gets angry and asks why we have fools operating the
power grid.

Thanks,

Sabri
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
Organizations that I have seen doing as you describe, because they ran out
of RFC1918 IP space, are also often using their existing private IP space
wastefully in the first place. Rather than using DoD /8s internally, if
they absolutely need to support v4-only equipment on their internal
management networks, they might be better served by considering that maybe
every POP doesn't need its own /24.

I'm talking about things I've seen where all of the management/monitoring
IPs of the equipment at a site might fit very comfortably in a v4 /27. But
that would be a labor intensive IP space and management address auditing
process of renumbering things, fixing internal DNS and rDNS, and updating
any myriad of things that might have the direct IP addresses of stuff
hardcoded into configuration files.

Rather than doing all of the above, they simply go "hey here's a /8 that's
highly unlikely our management network will ever need to talk to it in a
global routing table", and continue on with their /24 plan per tiny POP.

Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
Additionally, examples of impersonating a corporate entity to acquire
unused IP space (Erie Forge and Steel's /16, anyone?) undoubtedly fall
under existing, pre-internet interstate commerce fraud laws...

http://web.mit.edu/net-security/Camp/2003/DBowie_IP_Hijacking.pdf

https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/files/edited-iphd-2.ppt

Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
On 1/20/21 12:52 PM, John Curran wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2021, at 12:17 PM, Bryan Fields <Bryan@bryanfields.net<mailto:Bryan@bryanfields.net>> wrote:
>>
>> AFAIK IANA and the RIR's cannot enforce use of IP space assignments on any
>> network.
>
> <chuckle> While route hijacking isn't necessarily an ARIN issue, I will note that several US law enforcement agencies (FBI & NCIS Cybercrime units) are quite interested in such events and do investigate them looking for criminal activity.
>
> (See https://pc.nanog.org/static/published/meetings/NANOG77/2108/20191028_Elverson_Your_As_Is_v1.pdf for details.)

Can you ensure quoting is done properly? I don't want more confusion between
what I wrote and the reply.

Nowhere did I state this was used to be for criminal or less than above board
use. As soon as an entity decides to engage in criminal activities we're
beyond the question of what numbers they can run on their network. I can't
think of a worse entity to hijack space from than the DOD. Very few other
AS's have the ability to make it rain fire over a hijacker's NOC :-)

My comment was in terms of what a private network can do inside their own
network, or as part of a multi-entity network that is separate from the
"Internet". The bigger question is, should you do this? The answer is no for
a host of reasons, as networks rarely stay private. Even the GRX went through
a big cleanup relating to this, and as of the last 6 years (maybe more)
requires space used to be allocated via the RIR's and not RFC1918 space. IIRC
they still allow private ASN's.

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
> And don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating against v6. I'm merely explaining how
> difficult it can be to migrate. In most large companies, the network is like
> PG&E (the power utility California). If it works, nobody says well done. But if
> the power is out, everyone gets angry and asks why we have fools operating the
> power grid.

Indeed… It will be interesting to see how these CxOs with limited budges react
when backbones finally start turning off IPv4 and they discover that their network
is burning down because of years neglecting the IPv6 brush growing all around
them.

Owen
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
> due to it being so massive and unused for so long, certain large
> corporations that have run out of RFC1918, etc. space have started
> using it internally.

i first saw that on a traceroute from my hotel at ripe bologna in 2001.
i was told i was loooong late to finding it.

randy
Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
I used to help large companies rearchitect their addressing, implement
IPv6, etc. for a living, so no one is more sympathetic than I am about
how difficult it can be to make these changes. However, I have to ask,
how far backwards do we want to bend for those that refuse to migrate?

There have already been at least two lines in the sand that the IETF has
backed down from. Is it even useful for us to keep saying "IPv6 is the
way forward" any more?

Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
It is the DISA DOD NIC at:

https://disa.mil/About/Contact

Which will give you the DISA help desk phone number.

John Lee

Re: DoD IP Space [ In reply to ]
Oh, no worries.. It will never happen ;)
There is reason why everyone stick to IPv4...

Also, there was also nice space that could be used safely on private
networks [14.0.0.0/8]. Unfortunately money needs to flow, so it was
converted to normal space. Shame.

Same with recent shady action w/ 44.0.0.0/8 is sad as well..
IPv4 will stay with us for very long....