Mailing List Archive

Microsoft Registered Domains
I'll admit, the Operations value of this message is a bit low. But,
it does clarify how the InterNIC's use of automation is allowing people
to register domain names against another company, with no trace of
who the culprit may have been.

I thought the correct procedure was to get an ACK/NACK acknowledgement
from the owner of the DNS servers BEFORE going ahead and registering the
domains.

There's also some humor value as well:

-Rob

Some domains registered to Microsoft:

Start: 7/11/97 9:56:21 AM
Whois user[@]: do weshallprevail.com

[rs.internic.net.]
Microsoft Corporation (WESHALLPREVAIL-DOM)
3635 157th Avenue
Redmond, WA 98052
US

Domain Name: WESHALLPREVAIL.COM

Administrative Contact:
MSN Hostmaster (MH37-ORG) msnhst@MICROSOFT.COM
tel.: 206 882 8080 fax.: 206 703 2641

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
MSN NOC (MN5-ORG) msnnoc@MICROSOFT.COM
206 882 8080
Billing Contact:
MSN Domain Billing (MDB-ORG) msnbill@MICROSOFT.COM
206 882 8080

Record last updated on 24-Jun-97.
Record created on 24-Jun-97.
Database last updated on 11-Jul-97 04:20:56 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

ATBD.MICROSOFT.COM 131.107.1.7
DNS1.MICROSOFT.COM 131.107.1.240
DNS3.NWNET.NET 192.220.250.7
DNS4.NWNET.NET 192.220.251.7

The InterNIC Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet
Information
(Networks, ASN's, Domains, and POC's).
Please use the whois server at nic.ddn.mil for MILNET Information.

* Whois complete 7/11/97 9:56:40 AM *
Start: 7/11/97 9:57:12 AM
Whois user[@]: do RESISTANCE-IS-FUTILE.COM

[rs.internic.net.]
Microsoft Corporation (RESISTANCE-IS-FUTILE-DOM)
3635 157th Avenue
Redmond, WA 98052
US

Domain Name: RESISTANCE-IS-FUTILE.COM

Administrative Contact:
MSN Hostmaster (MH37-ORG) msnhst@MICROSOFT.COM
tel.: 206 882 8080 fax.: 206 703 2641

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
MSN NOC (MN5-ORG) msnnoc@MICROSOFT.COM
206 882 8080
Billing Contact:
MSN Domain Billing (MDB-ORG) msnbill@MICROSOFT.COM
206 882 8080

Record last updated on 24-Jun-97.
Record created on 24-Jun-97.
Database last updated on 11-Jul-97 04:20:56 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

ATBD.MICROSOFT.COM 131.107.1.7
DNS1.MICROSOFT.COM 131.107.1.240
DNS3.NWNET.NET 192.220.250.7
DNS4.NWNET.NET 192.220.251.7

The InterNIC Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet
Information
(Networks, ASN's, Domains, and POC's).
Please use the whois server at nic.ddn.mil for MILNET Information.

* Whois complete 7/11/97 9:57:32 AM *
Start: 7/11/97 9:57:50 AM
Whois user[@]: do BILL-IS-LORD.COM

[rs.internic.net.]
Microsoft Corporation (BILL-IS-LORD-DOM)
3635 157th Avenue
Redmond, WA 98052
US

Domain Name: BILL-IS-LORD.COM

Administrative Contact:
MSN Hostmaster (MH37-ORG) msnhst@MICROSOFT.COM
tel.: 206 882 8080 fax.: 206 703 2641

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
MSN NOC (MN5-ORG) msnnoc@MICROSOFT.COM
206 882 8080
Billing Contact:
MSN Domain Billing (MDB-ORG) msnbill@MICROSOFT.COM
206 882 8080

Record last updated on 24-Jun-97.
Record created on 24-Jun-97.
Database last updated on 11-Jul-97 04:20:56 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

ATBD.MICROSOFT.COM 131.107.1.7
DNS1.MICROSOFT.COM 131.107.1.240
DNS3.NWNET.NET 192.220.250.7
DNS4.NWNET.NET 192.220.251.7

The InterNIC Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet
Information
(Networks, ASN's, Domains, and POC's).
Please use the whois server at nic.ddn.mil for MILNET Information.

* Whois complete 7/11/97 9:58:08 AM *

--
Robert A. Pickering Jr. Internet Services Manager
Cincinnati Bell Telephone rob@fuse.net

A Rough Whimper of Insanity (Information Superhighway)

PGP key ID: 75CAFF7D 1995/05/09
PGP Fingerprint: B1 63 0C 09 D8 2E 5D 69 BB 61 A2 92 22 37 63 C3

[...]

Christopher J. Utley Webmaster
Cincinnati Bell Telephone chris@fuse.net
Re: Microsoft Registered Domains [ In reply to ]
> I'll admit, the Operations value of this message is a bit low.

Well, two of those domains don't exist now and one appears to be
totally unrelated to Microsoft -- so either there were two deletions
and a transfer just now, or else the risk is people forwarding
admittedly marginally relevant things to mailing lists without
checking on the facts.

Our time is the scarcest resource...
--
Shields, CrossLink.
Re: Microsoft Registered Domains [ In reply to ]
Michael,

I agree, I should have RE-CHECKED the domains before I sent the
message to the list. I've learned.

However, the facts still stand. InterNIC registered the domains to
the Microsoft nameservers, without having to clear it. That concerns
me.

What if I registered a domain against your nameservers and then
advertised it? What would your nameservers do with the lame delegations?
I've had lame delegations really mess up my DNS servers. They spend all
their time asking the top-level servers, who just point back to them.

-Rob

Re: Microsoft Registered Domains [ In reply to ]
> However, the facts still stand. InterNIC registered the domains to
> the Microsoft nameservers, without having to clear it. That concerns
> me.

Isn't that what Guardian was for?
--
Shields, CrossLink.
Re: Microsoft Registered Domains [ In reply to ]
"Guardian" only protects the record from modification by unauthorized
users; there is no (publicly known) verification done on the actual
contents of authorized modifications.

This is another facet of NSI no longer checking for SOAs before accepting a
domain.

Stephen

Sez Michael Shields:
>Isn't that what Guardian was for?

Sez Robert A. Pickering Jr:
--
Unsolicited commercial/propaganda email subject to legal action. Under US
Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C), and Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a
Re: Microsoft Registered Domains [ In reply to ]
Robert A. Pickering Jr. was known to have said:
> What if I registered a domain against your nameservers and then
> advertised it? What would your nameservers do with the lame delegations?
> I've had lame delegations really mess up my DNS servers. They spend all
> their time asking the top-level servers, who just point back to them.

We recently had a downstream customer of ours tell his customer
that it was okay to use our nameservers as his secondary for
his domains. About 60 of them.

The InterNIC appears to have no clear policy on removing the NS
records that point to an unwilling DNS server. At one time I
actually sent a message off to questions(?)@internic.net on this
issue, but never received a response.

Our solution was to provide empty DNS records to prevent lame
delegation problems.

--
Jeffrey Haas "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has
elezar@pfrc.org left the paths of wisdom." (Or works for Fermilab...)
Re: Microsoft Registered Domains [ In reply to ]

> We recently had a downstream customer of ours tell his customer
> that it was okay to use our nameservers as his secondary for
> his domains. About 60 of them.
>
> The InterNIC appears to have no clear policy on removing the NS
> records that point to an unwilling DNS server. At one time I
> actually sent a message off to questions(?)@internic.net on this
> issue, but never received a response.
>
> Our solution was to provide empty DNS records to prevent lame
> delegation problems.

This discussion has taken place before. I believe the most creative
solution was submitted by a DNS administrator who simply pointed
"www" in the unwelcome domain to some disreputable site.

Now, shouldn't this discussion be taken to some *other* place?