PGP Key fingerprint = 0A E4 91 B8 BD CB 3E 95 42 12 04 4E 14 DF 86 76
'They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' -- Benjamin Franklin 1759
Re: RFC for well-known admin email addresses? [ In reply to ]
>Can someone point me to the RFC (I think there was one) that outlined
>the "well-known" admin email addresses (i.e. noc@, abuse@, security@, etc.)
>
>I did an AltaVista search and a WAIS RFC search @ InterNIC, but couldn't
>find anything.
>
>I know something like this exists......

That's for the pointers, I found it: <draft-vixie-ops-stdaddr-01.txt>

--
Eric Kozowski VP Internet Services
eric@structured.net Structured Network Systems, Inc.
Re: RFC for well-known admin email addresses? [ In reply to ]
Eric Kozowski writes:
> >Can someone point me to the RFC (I think there was one) that outlined
> >the "well-known" admin email addresses (i.e. noc@, abuse@, security@, etc.)
> >
> >I did an AltaVista search and a WAIS RFC search @ InterNIC, but couldn't
> >find anything.
> >
> >I know something like this exists......
>
> That's for the pointers, I found it: <draft-vixie-ops-stdaddr-01.txt>

1) thats a draft, not an RFC.
2) I believe that isn't the same document, either.

Go and look at the RFC index. It usually takes a couple of seconds to
find the right document.

Perry
Re: RFC for well-known admin email addresses? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Eric Kozowski wrote:

> Can someone point me to the RFC (I think there was one) that outlined
> the "well-known" admin email addresses (i.e. noc@, abuse@, security@, etc.)
>
> I did an AltaVista search and a WAIS RFC search @ InterNIC, but couldn't
> find anything.
>
> I know something like this exists......

RFC 2142.
--

John-David Childs (JC612) http://www.denver.net
System Administrator jdc@denver.net
Re: RFC for well-known admin email addresses? [ In reply to ]
Here's the announcement. The work is based on Vixie's draft but he got
tired of waiting for the standards process. The thing was held in a queue
for about 8 months... The RFC version has changes to document
organization and some deletions of addresses which aren't known to be
heavily supported already.

d/

>To: IETF-Announce: ;
>Subject: RFC 2142 on Mailbox Names
>Cc: rfc-ed@isi.edu
>Date: Tue, 06 May 97 10:52:26 PDT
>Sender: ietf-announce-request@ietf.org
>From: RFC Editor <rfc-ed@isi.edu>
>

>A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.
>

> RFC 2142:
>
> Title: Mailbox Names for Common Services, Roles
> and Functions
> Author: D. Crocker
> Date: May 1997
> Mailbox: dcrocker@imc.org
> Pages: 6
> Characters: 12195
> Updates/Obsoletes: None

>This specification enumerates and describes Internet mail addresses
>(mailbox name @ host reference) to be used when contacting personnel
>at an organization.
>
>This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.
>
>This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the
>Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
>improvements. Please refer to the current edition of the "Internet
>Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the standardization state and
>status of this protocol. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.
>
>This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
>Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
>should be sent to IETF-REQUEST@CNRI.RESTON.VA.US. Requests to be
>added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
>be sent to RFC-DIST-REQUEST@ISI.EDU.
>
>Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
>an EMAIL message to rfc-info@ISI.EDU with the message body
>help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:
>
> To: rfc-info@ISI.EDU
> Subject: getting rfcs
>
> help: ways_to_get_rfcs
>
>Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
>author of the RFC in question, or to admin@DS.INTERNIC.NET. Unless
>specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
>unlimited distribution.
>
>Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
>RFC-EDITOR@ISI.EDU. Please consult RFC 1543, Instructions to RFC
>Authors, for further information.
>

>Joyce K. Reynolds and Mary Kennedy
>USC/Information Sciences Institute

>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
>of the RFCs.

>[.This attachment must be fetched by mail.
>Open the stationery below and send the resulting
>message to get the attachment.]
>Attachment converted: dcrocker 5300ce:Get RFC 2142 on Mailbox Names
>(EuSn/CSOm) (0001F509)
>
>[.This attachment must be fetched by ftp.
> Open the document below to ask your ftp client to fetch it.]
>Attachment converted: dcrocker 5300ce:Get rfc2142.txt (AURL/Arch) (0001F50A)

--------------------
Dave Crocker +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting fax: +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr. dcrocker@brandenburg.com
Sunnyvale CA 94086 USA http://www.brandenburg.com

Internet Mail Consortium http://www.imc.org, info@imc.org
Re: RFC for well-known admin email addresses? [ In reply to ]
The following should be attributed to Perry E. Metzger:

> Eric Kozowski writes:
> > >I did an AltaVista search and a WAIS RFC search @ InterNIC, but couldn't
> > >find anything.
> > >
> > That's for the pointers, I found it: <draft-vixie-ops-stdaddr-01.txt>
>
> 1) thats a draft, not an RFC.
> 2) I believe that isn't the same document, either.
>
> Go and look at the RFC index. It usually takes a couple of seconds to
> find the right document.
>
> Perry

The only index I know if is http://ds.internic.net/ds/rfc-index.html
If you know of another, maybe one that is searchable, I'd like to
hear about it. Sifting through over 2000 RFCs for a keyphrase like
"well-known email addresses" without a search tool takes more than
a few seconds.

Of course, in this particular case, that RFC is on the first page
and has "mail" in the title:
2142 PS
D. Crocker, "MAILBOX NAMES FOR COMMON SERVICES, ROLES AND FUNCTIONS", 05/06/1997. (Pages=6)
(Format=.txt)

Yours in grep,
Lee

Lee Howard Internet Systems Engineer
(703)208-5231 UUNET High-speed Install
lhoward@uu.net Do I speak for UUNET? [NO]
Re: RFC for well-known admin email addresses? [ In reply to ]
> Here's the announcement. The work is based on Vixie's draft but he got
> tired of waiting for the standards process. The thing was held in a queue
> for about 8 months... The RFC version has changes to document
> organization and some deletions of addresses which aren't known to be
> heavily supported already.

specifically, i asked that the draft be deleted and i was going to abandon
it. the ietf is not a winner in my mind, and i'm not sure i'll be going to
any more meetings or participating in any more "standards track" activity.
dave crocker wanted to coauthor a followup to the stdaddr draft and i told
him in no uncertain terms that if anything was going to happen it would be
without my name attached. he moved me to the acknowledgements section and
i said that even that was more involvement than i wanted. so he took me out.

i'm saying this in public because several folks have asked if dave "stole"
this draft or did anything else bad. far from it. dave has a stronger
stomach for politics than i do. i thought i could do some good by writing
the draft originally, but it turned into a political cesspool with all kinds
of people wanting it pushed or pulled in one direction or another. i hope
that some day NANOG comes up with its own publication process, since ietf is
pretty hopeless for anything that isn't a wire protocol.

i want to thank all of those on nanog who helped with the original text of
the draft back when it was "mine." i was really just the editor, the ideas
came from all of you.
RE: RFC for well-known admin email addresses? [ In reply to ]
Try, http://www.pmg.lcs.mit.edu/rfc.html

Re: RFC for well-known admin email addresses? [ In reply to ]
lhoward@UU.NET boldly claimed:
> The only index I know if is http://ds.internic.net/ds/rfc-index.html
> If you know of another, maybe one that is searchable, I'd like to
> hear about it. Sifting through over 2000 RFCs for a keyphrase like
> "well-known email addresses" without a search tool takes more than
> a few seconds.

You can try this search engine:

--- cut here -- from pauls@etext.org --
i indexed all the internet drafts and rfcs, updated and reindexed weekly.
in case you ever asked "what was the RFC in which they talked about..."

http://www.etext.org/Internet/

--Paul
--- cut here --

--
jared@CIC.Net - CICNET --------- jared@Nether.Net - Nether Network
"I've got a question" "What is it?" "An interrogative expression often used
Re: RFC for well-known admin email addresses? [ In reply to ]
> The only index I know if is http://ds.internic.net/ds/rfc-index.html
> If you know of another, maybe one that is searchable, I'd like to
> hear about it.

We have one here under

http://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/cgi-bin/search/standard/nph-findstd

it indexes RFC and Internet-Drafts separately. Note that by default,
obsolete RFCs are excluded from the search.

Hope you find this useful,
--
Simon.
RE: RFC for well-known admin email addresses? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Eric Lucas wrote:

> Try, http://www.pmg.lcs.mit.edu/rfc.html
>

> > >The only index I know if is http://ds.internic.net/ds/rfc-index.html
> > >If you know of another, maybe one that is searchable, I'd like to
> > >hear about it. Sifting through over 2000 RFCs for a keyphrase like
> > >"well-known email addresses" without a search tool takes more than
> > >a few seconds.

Not that it matters much, but your choice of search words can make a huge
difference. I used

abuse postmaster noc hostmaster

to query the same WAIS index at InterNIC that others couldn't find
information about "well-known email addresses".

Re: RFC for well-known admin email addresses? [ In reply to ]
At 03:36 PM 6/5/97 -0400, lhoward@UU.NET wrote:
>The only index I know if is http://ds.internic.net/ds/rfc-index.html
>If you know of another, maybe one that is searchable, I'd like to
>hear about it. Sifting through over 2000 RFCs for a keyphrase like
>"well-known email addresses" without a search tool takes more than
>a few seconds.

http://www.cctec.com/notes/rfcs1

Kept up to date on a pretty much weekly basis...

Eric
Re: RFC for well-known admin email addresses? [ In reply to ]
lhoward@UU.NET writes:
> Sifting through over 2000 RFCs for a keyphrase like
> "well-known email addresses" without a search tool takes more than
> a few seconds.

Emacs and the C-S key works wonders for this sort of thing.

rfc-index.txt is the key file, btw.

Perry