Mailing List Archive

US Seeks Alternative Domain Name Plan
by Rebecca Vesely

6:14pm 2.May.97.PDT The Clinton administration, dissatisfied
with a new international agreement on the
registration of domain names and other key Net issues, has
directed a working group to amend the
system, a government official told Wired News on Friday.

The official, who is knowledgeable about the policy discussions
and spoke on condition of
anonymity, said that the US initiative is aimed at easing
emerging disputes over the International
Ad Hoc Committee's pact and creating a more tangible mechanism
for handling far-reaching Net
issues.

"While we feel that the IAHC has done a good job, we are
concerned about numerous aspects of
their plan," the official said. A central problem, the official
added, was the role assigned to the
UN-affiliated International Telecommunications Union and World
Intellectual Property Organization without approval from member
states.

Full text available at http://www.wired.com/news/politics/story/3603.html