back to the control prompt and the remote control does nothing.
This is the output I got from /sbin/service lircd start in my
/var/log/messages file:
Sep 18 15:46:41 localhost lircd 0.7.0pre7[17919]: lircd(any) ready
Sep 18 15:46:41 localhost lircd: lircd startup succeeded
Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks,

Chris.
Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
At 17:11 18/09/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
> I have just been following the "Get and Install lirc" instructions
>from wilsonet.com and after I run the /usr/bin/irw command it just returns
>back to the control prompt and the remote control does nothing.
>This is the output I got from /sbin/service lircd start in my
> /var/log/messages file:
> Sep 18 15:46:41 localhost lircd 0.7.0pre7[17919]: lircd(any) ready
> Sep 18 15:46:41 localhost lircd: lircd startup succeeded
> Let me know if you have any suggestions.
> Thanks,
>
>Chris.

If it crashes you straight back to command prompt, it usually means it's
looking for the wrong device - check your lird startup parameters.

What does ls /dev/lircd* show you? My PVR-250 remote is assigned
/dev/lirc/0, rather than the /dev/lircd0 LIRC is expecting. If you too have
the same device mappings, edit your LIRC init script and supply the device
in the form of:

-d /dev/lirc/0

Your distro may also allow you overrides in /etc/conf.d where you can
supply the same argument, and not have to worry about it being overwritten
on an upgrade
Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 18:23, Stephen Tait wrote:
> At 17:11 18/09/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hello,
> > I have just been following the "Get and Install lirc" instructions
> >from wilsonet.com and after I run the /usr/bin/irw command it just returns
> >back to the control prompt and the remote control does nothing.
> >This is the output I got from /sbin/service lircd start in my
> > /var/log/messages file:
> > Sep 18 15:46:41 localhost lircd 0.7.0pre7[17919]: lircd(any) ready
> > Sep 18 15:46:41 localhost lircd: lircd startup succeeded
> > Let me know if you have any suggestions.
> > Thanks,
> >
> >Chris.
>
> If it crashes you straight back to command prompt, it usually means it's
> looking for the wrong device - check your lird startup parameters.
>
> What does ls /dev/lircd* show you? My PVR-250 remote is assigned
> /dev/lirc/0, rather than the /dev/lircd0 LIRC is expecting. If you too have
> the same device mappings, edit your LIRC init script and supply the device
> in the form of:
>
> -d /dev/lirc/0
>
> Your distro may also allow you overrides in /etc/conf.d where you can
> supply the same argument, and not have to worry about it being overwritten
> on an upgrade

Thanks. Now irw command sits there acting like its waiting for input
from my remote but nothing happens when I press the buttons. I double
checked my connections and batties and such. My card/remote is a
hauppauge wintv theatre does any know which file from
/usr/share/doc/lirc-0.7.0/remotes/ to use or what my problem might be.
Thanks again,

Chris.
Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
Have you configured or downloaded the correct .lircrc and lircd.conf file
(and put them in the correct location, and restard lircd)?

You can download the ones for the Hauppage remote from Jarod's site. Without
these, irw will show nothing as it does not know how to interpret the input
it receives. It took me a little while to grasp lirc, and I am still no
expert. But basically, as I understand it (in simple terms), one file tells
lirc which remote commands to expect and one file tells it which mythtv
command to interpet the input to.

I am sure better experts can explain it more completely, but thats the
basics...

Robin

Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 21:05, 1canuck2 wrote:
> Have you configured or downloaded the correct .lircrc and lircd.conf file
> (and put them in the correct location, and restard lircd)?
>
> You can download the ones for the Hauppage remote from Jarod's site. Without
> these, irw will show nothing as it does not know how to interpret the input
> it receives. It took me a little while to grasp lirc, and I am still no
> expert. But basically, as I understand it (in simple terms), one file tells
> lirc which remote commands to expect and one file tells it which mythtv
> command to interpet the input to.
>
> I am sure better experts can explain it more completely, but thats the
> basics...
>
> Robin

Hey,
I think my capture card/remote(Hauppauge WinTV Theatre) falls under
the second area from Jarod's site labeled "For those with bttv-based
cards:". In this area he says nothing of an .lircrc file. Do I need
one? I did follow the instructions for the lircd.conf file. I chose the
/usr/share/doc/lirc-0.7.0/remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge file.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 18 September 2004 20:05, Chris LaForce wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 21:05, 1canuck2 wrote:
> > Have you configured or downloaded the correct .lircrc and lircd.conf file
> > (and put them in the correct location, and restard lircd)?
> >
> > You can download the ones for the Hauppage remote from Jarod's site.
> > Without these, irw will show nothing as it does not know how to interpret
> > the input it receives. It took me a little while to grasp lirc, and I am
> > still no expert. But basically, as I understand it (in simple terms), one
> > file tells lirc which remote commands to expect and one file tells it
> > which mythtv command to interpet the input to.
> >
> > I am sure better experts can explain it more completely, but thats the
> > basics...
> >
> > Robin
>
> Hey,
> I think my capture card/remote(Hauppauge WinTV Theatre) falls under
> the second area from Jarod's site labeled "For those with bttv-based
> cards:". In this area he says nothing of an .lircrc file. Do I need
> one? I did follow the instructions for the lircd.conf file. I chose the
> /usr/share/doc/lirc-0.7.0/remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge file.
> Let me know what you think.
> Thanks,

I'm guessing maybe Hauppauge is standardizing on the grey remote, so I'd
suggest giving the lircd.conf for the PVR-x50's remote a shot. Ya got nothing
to lose. What lirc kernel module are you loading up?

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw@wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 22:42, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 18 September 2004 20:05, Chris LaForce wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 21:05, 1canuck2 wrote:
> > > Have you configured or downloaded the correct .lircrc and lircd.conf file
> > > (and put them in the correct location, and restard lircd)?
> > >
> > > You can download the ones for the Hauppage remote from Jarod's site.
> > > Without these, irw will show nothing as it does not know how to interpret
> > > the input it receives. It took me a little while to grasp lirc, and I am
> > > still no expert. But basically, as I understand it (in simple terms), one
> > > file tells lirc which remote commands to expect and one file tells it
> > > which mythtv command to interpet the input to.
> > >
> > > I am sure better experts can explain it more completely, but thats the
> > > basics...
> > >
> > > Robin
> >
> > Hey,
> > I think my capture card/remote(Hauppauge WinTV Theatre) falls under
> > the second area from Jarod's site labeled "For those with bttv-based
> > cards:". In this area he says nothing of an .lircrc file. Do I need
> > one? I did follow the instructions for the lircd.conf file. I chose the
> > /usr/share/doc/lirc-0.7.0/remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge file.
> > Let me know what you think.
> > Thanks,
>
> I'm guessing maybe Hauppauge is standardizing on the grey remote, so I'd
> suggest giving the lircd.conf for the PVR-x50's remote a shot. Ya got nothing
> to lose. What lirc kernel module are you loading up?

Hello,
The kernel-module that I am loading up is
kernel-module-lirc-2.6.8-1.521. I don't see a directory
/usr/share/doc/ivtv-* for PVR-x50's lircd.conf file as you stated
above. Any more suggestions would be great.
Thanks for your help,

Chris.
Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 18 September 2004 21:26, Chris LaForce wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > > I think my capture card/remote(Hauppauge WinTV Theatre) falls under
> > > the second area from Jarod's site labeled "For those with bttv-based
> > > cards:". In this area he says nothing of an .lircrc file. Do I need
> > > one? I did follow the instructions for the lircd.conf file. I chose
> > > the /usr/share/doc/lirc-0.7.0/remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge
> > > file. Let me know what you think.
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > I'm guessing maybe Hauppauge is standardizing on the grey remote, so I'd
> > suggest giving the lircd.conf for the PVR-x50's remote a shot. Ya got
> > nothing to lose. What lirc kernel module are you loading up?
>
> Hello,
> The kernel-module that I am loading up is
> kernel-module-lirc-2.6.8-1.521.

Not the rpm, the actual kernel module, as defined in modprobe.conf. For
example, I'm loading lirc_mceusb for my MCE USB IR receiver and lirc_i2c for
my Hauppauge IR receiver.

> I don't see a directory
> /usr/share/doc/ivtv-* for PVR-x50's lircd.conf file as you stated
> above. Any more suggestions would be great.
> Thanks for your help,

D'oh. Of course not, my mistake. That would require that you had installed
ivtv, which you haven't, since it isn't an ivtv card. Grab the ivtv tarball
and you'll be able to find it in there.

Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 23:48, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> > > I'm guessing maybe Hauppauge is standardizing on the grey remote, so I'd
> > > suggest giving the lircd.conf for the PVR-x50's remote a shot. Ya got
> > > nothing to lose. What lirc kernel module are you loading up?
> >
> > Hello,
> > The kernel-module that I am loading up is
> > kernel-module-lirc-2.6.8-1.521.
>
> Not the rpm, the actual kernel module, as defined in modprobe.conf. For
> example, I'm loading lirc_mceusb for my MCE USB IR receiver and lirc_i2c for
> my Hauppauge IR receiver.
>
> > I don't see a directory
> > /usr/share/doc/ivtv-* for PVR-x50's lircd.conf file as you stated
> > above. Any more suggestions would be great.
> > Thanks for your help,
>
> D'oh. Of course not, my mistake. That would require that you had installed
> ivtv, which you haven't, since it isn't an ivtv card. Grab the ivtv tarball
> and you'll be able to find it in there.

Thanks,
The module is actually lirc_gpio. I will give the ivtv file a try.
Thanks,

Chris.
Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
> > Hello,
> > The kernel-module that I am loading up is
> > kernel-module-lirc-2.6.8-1.521.
>
> Not the rpm, the actual kernel module, as defined in modprobe.conf. For
> example, I'm loading lirc_mceusb for my MCE USB IR receiver and lirc_i2c for
> my Hauppauge IR receiver.
>
> > I don't see a directory
> > /usr/share/doc/ivtv-* for PVR-x50's lircd.conf file as you stated
> > above. Any more suggestions would be great.
> > Thanks for your help,
>
> D'oh. Of course not, my mistake. That would require that you had installed
> ivtv, which you haven't, since it isn't an ivtv card. Grab the ivtv tarball
> and you'll be able to find it in there.

Jarod,
I got the tarball off of sourceforge and copied over the file and
restarted lircd and ran irw and I still get no output from the remote.
Is there anything left to check.
Thanks,

Chris.
Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
I'm a bit confused, but I thought I'd add my $.02.
When I first got my PVR-250, it had a bad remote, I banged my head
against the box for days trying to get the remote working under
RH9/Myth. I finally decided the only way I could quickly test the
remote was to install the PVR into another box, with windows and test
it that way. I'm sort of comfortable with Fedora/RH, more comfortable
with FreeBSD, and most comfortable with Windows system administration,
but I knew if I tested it in another (supported) format I would be
able to prove the remote doesn't work. Sure enough, the remote did
not work under windows, I had itreplaced, and the new one works just
fine. Sometimes attacking the problem from another direction will
give you clues... Knowing it does/does not work under Windows will
give you more information.

Regards,
Jonathan

Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 19 September 2004 13:06, Chris LaForce wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > The kernel-module that I am loading up is
> > > kernel-module-lirc-2.6.8-1.521.
> >
> > Not the rpm, the actual kernel module, as defined in modprobe.conf. For
> > example, I'm loading lirc_mceusb for my MCE USB IR receiver and lirc_i2c
> > for my Hauppauge IR receiver.
> >
> > > I don't see a directory
> > > /usr/share/doc/ivtv-* for PVR-x50's lircd.conf file as you stated
> > > above. Any more suggestions would be great.
> > > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > D'oh. Of course not, my mistake. That would require that you had
> > installed ivtv, which you haven't, since it isn't an ivtv card. Grab the
> > ivtv tarball and you'll be able to find it in there.
>
> Jarod,
> I got the tarball off of sourceforge and copied over the file and
> restarted lircd and ran irw and I still get no output from the remote.
> Is there anything left to check.

Only other things that come to mind are 1) trying the remote under Windows as
someone else suggested to double-check that you don't have faulty hardware
and 2) are you positive lirc_gpio is the correct lirc module for that card?
You might give lirc_i2c a shot...

Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
Ok, I just loaded Windows XP up on the harddrive I do backups on, loaded up
my Hauppauge software, and tried the remote control and suprise, suprise it
doesn't work. So what are my next options? Is there a universal remote I
can get(Would there be any compatibility issues)? If so which would be the
best? Would another remote also come with an IR reciever or would I use the
one for my current remote? Please let me know what you think.
Thanks,

Chris.
Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
On Monday 20 September 2004 21:15, Chris LaForce wrote:
> Ok, I just loaded Windows XP up on the harddrive I do backups on, loaded up
> my Hauppauge software, and tried the remote control and suprise, suprise it
> doesn't work. So what are my next options?

Inform Hauppauge that you got a bum remote. They've been known to send
replacements.

> Is there a universal remote I
> can get(Would there be any compatibility issues)?

Should work just fine. I've used a universal w/o problems with a Hauppauge IR
receiver (lirc_i2c), an AVerMedia one (lirc_gpio) and a MCE USB one
(lirc_mceusb).

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php

> If so which would be the
> best?

I'm rather partial to One-for-All and/or RadioShack remotes (also made by
OfA). You can program the heck out of them to do damn near anything, and
they're pretty cheap. My RS one was a bit on the high side price-wise, at a
whopping $30.

> Would another remote also come with an IR reciever or would I use
> the one for my current remote?

Use the current one. Of course, its possible the receiver is the part that is
hosed, not the remote... My favorite IR receiver of the three I have is the
MCE USB one. It has by far the best range and omni-directionality of 'em all.

Re: Remote Control Setup [ In reply to ]
I recently switched my setup over to using the One For All 6017, the US
model is here:
http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC%206012

Its a great inexpensive remote and does everything I need for all of ym
equipment. It doesn't come with an IR receiver, but the PVR-250's receiver
works just fine with it.

It was $24 CAN (under $20US.

Robin

Re: Remote control setup [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 18:14:14 -0400, you wrote:

>Hello,
>I'm trying to tweak the rc6_mce keymap for my system to include the
>underscore key, "_" as the subchannel separator for tuning. I added this
>line, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
>
>scancode 0x800f041d = KEY__ (0X14)
>>

>I also tried "KEY_UNDERSCORE" also with no results. The remote key in
>question is the * asterisk. Also wondering if anyone has mapped PgUp/PgDn
>for quickly scrolling through the guide.
>
>Any thoughts?

Are you sure your changes are actually being applied? How are you
changing the keymap file? What disto are you using?

In Ubuntu, the keymap files changed name between 18.04 and 20.04 and
are now .toml files with a slightly different format. The originals
are found in /lib/udev/rc_keymaps. But you can not edit them in place
there as those files will get overwritten if the package gets updated.
So you want to copy the rc6_mce.toml file to /etc/rc_keymaps and edit
there. Change /etc/rc_maps.cfg to point to your new rc6_mce.toml file
(use a full path: /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce.toml). Then run:

ir-keytable -a

to load your new configuration. Add an "-s rcX" option if you have
multiple IR receivers and need to specify the one to use. Then test
to see if your new key mapping is working using "ir-keytable -t".

If that works, then reboot and see if the new keytable is loaded
automatically. It is possible that it will be now, but if not, then
you will need to add your "ir-keytable -a" command to /etc/rc.local
(with an & on the end of the line so it does not stop the rest of
rc.local from working). Or you could write a systemd unit to run it
at startup.

The correct KEY_ names for all the keys are now found in:

/usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname
-r)/include/uapi/linux/input-event-codes.h

But here you run up against a fundamental problem - the underscore
character on a keyboard is not a single keystroke. It is effectively
an upper case character, requiring the use of the shift key with the
minus key, or shift lock. So it is not present as a KEY_ value in
input-event-codes.h. As far as I know, it is impossible to get an IR
remote to create any upper case character - they can only create KEY_
codes found in input-event-codes.h. A quick web search could not find
anything that says otherwise. So as far as I can tell, there are only
two ways you can get an underscore character from an IR remote. Either
add KEY_UNDERSCORE to input-event-codes.h and recompile the kernel and
also any downstream software that is affected. And keep adding this
patch every time the kernel is updated. Or use LIRC, where it would
be easy to map KEY_KPASTERSISK (for example) to an underscore
character.
Re: Remote control setup [ In reply to ]
On 04/15/2021 06:14 PM, Steve Greene wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to tweak the rc6_mce keymap for my system to include the
> underscore key, "_" as the subchannel separator for tuning. I added
> this line, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
>
> scancode 0x800f041d = KEY__ (0X14)
>

> I also tried "KEY_UNDERSCORE" also with no results. The remote key in
> question is the * asterisk. Also wondering if anyone has mapped
> PgUp/PgDn for quickly scrolling through the guide.
>
> Any thoughts?

FWIW, you may not need to waste a remote button on a subchannel
separator. I'm assuming you're trying to get the separator on the
remote for typing channel numbers into Live TV to directly tune that
channel without using the guide--that's the only situation where I could
imagine actually using the separator key in MythTV. It used to be and
probably still is--I don't use Live TV, so I'm not positive--that you
can tune a channel in Live TV by typing in the channel/subchannel
numbers without any separator and MythTV will tune the correct channel,
so to get to channel "6_1" you could either send "6_1" or "61". The
only time you'd have a problem is if you have a channel whose channel
number happens to be identical to a channel whose channel number +
subchannel number--for example channel 61 and channel 6_1. In that
case, though, you simply need to change the channel number of one or
both of them.

Mike
Re: Remote control setup [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, April 15, 2021, 06:14:49 PM EDT, Steve Greene wrote:

>Also wondering if anyone has mapped PgUp/PgDn for quickly scrolling through the guide.

Yes. My toml file has:

0x3085d026 = "KEY_PAGEUP"
0x3085d027 = "KEY_PAGEDOWN"

I use these to quickly go through the guide.

Re: Remote control setup [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately, my system has both OTA and cable tuners, so there will be
channels like "91" and "92" for the system to tune to in-lieu of "9_1" and
"9_2". I'm on the verge of holding back the later LIRC packages so I can
use "dpkg-reconfigure lirc". I've been using mythtv since 0.24 and have
currently settled on 0.29. I have to admit I'm disappointed how much work
is needed to configure a remote control these days. This seems like a step
backwards.

Steve

Steve Greene
(301) 842-8923
historicity.co
An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
moving images and recorded sound.

Re: Remote control setup [ In reply to ]
Steve Greene says:
> Unfortunately, my system has both OTA and cable tuners, so there
> will be channels like "91" and "92" for the system to tune to
> in-lieu of "9_1" and "9_2".

What I did years ago is to change all OTA channel numbers. Assuming you have no cable channel numbers greater than 999, you could add 1000 to all OTA numbers: Thus, 9_1 = 1091. If you do have cable numbers greater than 1000 but less than 2000, add 2000 to all OTA numbers.

--
Frontend: Apple MacBook Pro 2012, Nvidia Shield 2017
Backend: HP Microserver N40L 1.5GHz with 4x3TB HDDs
Re: Remote control setup [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 at 23:48, Yeechang Lee <ylee@columbia.edu> wrote:

> Steve Greene says:
> > Unfortunately, my system has both OTA and cable tuners, so there
> > will be channels like "91" and "92" for the system to tune to
> > in-lieu of "9_1" and "9_2".
>
> What I did years ago is to change all OTA channel numbers. Assuming you
> have no cable channel numbers greater than 999, you could add 1000 to all
> OTA numbers: Thus, 9_1 = 1091. If you do have cable numbers greater than
> 1000 but less than 2000, add 2000 to all OTA numbers.
>

> There is a new feature in master that allows you to define an offset for
all channel numbers in a video source. This makes it possible to avoid
channel number conflicts when you have a system with more than one video
source. I do not expect this to work with channels like "9_1" but it should
work for a video source that has numeric channel numbers such as "91". The
offset can be configured in mythtv-setup in the VIdeo Source configuration
page.

Klaas.