Mailing List Archive

DVB support and HDHomeRun tuners?
I'm still running MythTV 29.1 under Gentoo using an ebuild of my own.

Is DVB support required when using HDHomeRun tuners? Currently I have
that enabled, but I suspect that goes back to when I was using
physical CX88 PCI tuner cards many years ago.

Is that support required required when using only HDHomeRun cards?

Thanks!
Re: DVB support and HDHomeRun tuners? [ In reply to ]

> I'm still running MythTV 29.1 under Gentoo using an ebuild of my own.

> Is DVB support required when using HDHomeRun tuners? Currently I have
> that enabled, but I suspect that goes back to when I was using
> physical CX88 PCI tuner cards many years ago.

> Is that support required required when using only HDHomeRun cards?

> Thanks!

Hoi Tom,

You mean in-kernel? Not to my knowledge.

Would you share your ebuild?

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: DVB support and HDHomeRun tuners? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 4:34?PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thursday, March 7, 2024, 10:15:57 PM, you wrote:
>
> > I'm still running MythTV 29.1 under Gentoo using an ebuild of my own.
>
> > Is DVB support required when using HDHomeRun tuners? Currently I have
> > that enabled, but I suspect that goes back to when I was using
> > physical CX88 PCI tuner cards many years ago.
>
> > Is that support required required when using only HDHomeRun cards?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> Hoi Tom,
>
> You mean in-kernel? Not to my knowledge.
>
> Would you share your ebuild?
>
> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

Thanks for the reply! As far as the ebuild, it's pretty cobbled
together and also has a lot of patches involved.

The reason I posted the question is that that old ebuild had a
dependency for virtual/linuxtv-dvb-headers specifically when the dvb
USE was set, and that package was apparently removed. I'm not sure
what it originally did, but it sure it seems like it was related to
kernel headers. I assume that probably means I don;t need the dvb USE
at all. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Thanks!
Tom
Re: DVB support and HDHomeRun tuners? [ In reply to ]
Hoi Tom,

Friday, March 8, 2024, 12:00:27 AM, you wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 4:34?PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thursday, March 7, 2024, 10:15:57 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> > I'm still running MythTV 29.1 under Gentoo using an ebuild of my own.
>>
>> > Is DVB support required when using HDHomeRun tuners? Currently I have
>> > that enabled, but I suspect that goes back to when I was using
>> > physical CX88 PCI tuner cards many years ago.
>>
>> > Is that support required required when using only HDHomeRun cards?
>>
>> > Thanks!
>>
>> Hoi Tom,
>>
>> You mean in-kernel? Not to my knowledge.
>>
>> Would you share your ebuild?
>>
>> Tot mails,
>> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

> Thanks for the reply! As far as the ebuild, it's pretty cobbled
> together and also has a lot of patches involved.

> The reason I posted the question is that that old ebuild had a
> dependency for virtual/linuxtv-dvb-headers specifically when the dvb
> USE was set, and that package was apparently removed. I'm not sure
> what it originally did, but it sure it seems like it was related to
> kernel headers. I assume that probably means I don;t need the dvb USE
> at all. At least that's what I'm hoping.

> Thanks!
> Tom

Sounds right to me. Hdhomerun does not use anything in the kernel and
I think those headers are related to the media part in-kernel. Anyway,
probably those headers merged into a more generic header set. I have
seen that before. Less specific headers, just a few generic ones as
they take up little space. So they are probably on your system anyway.

As to your ebuild, I would appreciate it anyway, just as an example to
get ideas on when I want to create one for myself.

Re: DVB support and HDHomeRun tuners? [ In reply to ]
Hoi Hika,

Friday, March 8, 2024, 12:42:56 AM, you wrote:

> Hoi Tom,

> Friday, March 8, 2024, 12:00:27 AM, you wrote:

>>> Hoi Tom,
>>>
>>> You mean in-kernel? Not to my knowledge.
>>>
>>> Would you share your ebuild?
>>>
>>> Tot mails,
>>> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

>> Thanks for the reply! As far as the ebuild, it's pretty cobbled
>> together and also has a lot of patches involved.

>> The reason I posted the question is that that old ebuild had a
>> dependency for virtual/linuxtv-dvb-headers specifically when the dvb
>> USE was set, and that package was apparently removed. I'm not sure
>> what it originally did, but it sure it seems like it was related to
>> kernel headers. I assume that probably means I don;t need the dvb USE
>> at all. At least that's what I'm hoping.

>> Thanks!
>> Tom

> Sounds right to me. Hdhomerun does not use anything in the kernel and
> I think those headers are related to the media part in-kernel. Anyway,
> probably those headers merged into a more generic header set. I have
> seen that before. Less specific headers, just a few generic ones as
> they take up little space. So they are probably on your system anyway.

> As to your ebuild, I would appreciate it anyway, just as an example to
> get ideas on when I want to create one for myself.

> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

Thinking further, a virtual is used when more then one package could
do the job. For instance for mariadb or mysql there is a virtual/mysql
that is fulfilled by either one. This virtual was probably created to
facilitate the move from the single small header package in to the
bigger generic one.
I still have an old tree on one of my machines and this virtual is
ancient and as of at least version 5.3 only points to
sys-kernel/linux-headers and you have that one always on your system.

Re: DVB support and HDHomeRun tuners? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 6:43?PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hoi Tom,
>
> As to your ebuild, I would appreciate it anyway, just as an example to
> get ideas on when I want to create one for myself.
>
> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

I could probably put together everything involved in that ebuild.
Unless you're looking specifically for an ebuild for 29.1 the current
ebuild in portage is almost surely much better. For example, some of
the patches I have are to get rid of the old QtWebEngine
requirement...and that's been gone for a while. I've also chopped out
the entire python piece, as 29.1 is totally incompatible with python3,

Also note that it needs another patch that I have NOT done to compile
with the newer media-gfx/exiv2-0.28 versions. So far I've just run the
old 0.27 version out of my overlay. I think the fix for that one is to
change "AutoPtr" tp "UniquePtr" in
mythtv/libs/libmythmetadata/imagemetadata.cpp....though I'm not sure.

If that's in fact what you're looking for let me know and I'll put
that together for sure!

Thanks again.
Tom
Re: DVB support and HDHomeRun tuners? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 4:04?PM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 6:43?PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hoi Tom,
> >
> > As to your ebuild, I would appreciate it anyway, just as an example to
> > get ideas on when I want to create one for myself.
> >
> > Tot mails,
> > Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
> >

> I could probably put together everything involved in that ebuild.
> Unless you're looking specifically for an ebuild for 29.1 the current
> ebuild in portage is almost surely much better. For example, some of
> the patches I have are to get rid of the old QtWebEngine
> requirement...and that's been gone for a while. I've also chopped out
> the entire python piece, as 29.1 is totally incompatible with python3,
>
> Also note that it needs another patch that I have NOT done to compile
> with the newer media-gfx/exiv2-0.28 versions. So far I've just run the
> old 0.27 version out of my overlay. I think the fix for that one is to
> change "AutoPtr" tp "UniquePtr" in
> mythtv/libs/libmythmetadata/imagemetadata.cpp....though I'm not sure.
>
> If that's in fact what you're looking for let me know and I'll put
> that together for sure!
>
> Thanks again.
> Tom

Actually, just in case, see the attached tar.gz. Note that the
mythtv-29.1-osd-timeouts.patch patch isn't needed...that's just my
preferred OSD timeouts. Thanks again!

Tom
Re: DVB support and HDHomeRun tuners? [ In reply to ]
Hoi Tom,

> On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 4:04?PM Tom Dexter
> <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 6:43?PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hoi Tom,
>> >
>> > As to your ebuild, I would appreciate it anyway, just as an example to
>> > get ideas on when I want to create one for myself.
>> >
>> > Tot mails,
>> > Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>> >

>> I could probably put together everything involved in that ebuild.
>> Unless you're looking specifically for an ebuild for 29.1 the current
>> ebuild in portage is almost surely much better. For example, some of
>> the patches I have are to get rid of the old QtWebEngine
>> requirement...and that's been gone for a while. I've also chopped out
>> the entire python piece, as 29.1 is totally incompatible with python3,
>>
>> Also note that it needs another patch that I have NOT done to compile
>> with the newer media-gfx/exiv2-0.28 versions. So far I've just run the
>> old 0.27 version out of my overlay. I think the fix for that one is to
>> change "AutoPtr" tp "UniquePtr" in
>> mythtv/libs/libmythmetadata/imagemetadata.cpp....though I'm not sure.
>>
>> If that's in fact what you're looking for let me know and I'll put
>> that together for sure!
>>
>> Thanks again.
>> Tom

> Actually, just in case, see the attached tar.gz. Note that the
> mythtv-29.1-osd-timeouts.patch patch isn't needed...that's just my
> preferred OSD timeouts. Thanks again!

> Tom

Thanks, I hadn't looked at it in portage for quite some time, but as
you seemed to suggest it is in there again I checked.
Quite some time ago the then maintainer stopped and mythtv was removed
from the tree. I haven't upgraded since as that would mean creating my
own ebuild. I have seen some ebuilds in private overlays but never
came around to any action.
But I now see that somebody has taken it up again.
But anyway thanks for the ebuild.

Re: DVB support and HDHomeRun tuners? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 4:10?PM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, just in case, see the attached tar.gz. Note that the
> mythtv-29.1-osd-timeouts.patch patch isn't needed...that's just my
> preferred OSD timeouts. Thanks again!
>
> Tom

Correction: See the attachment here. I got a bit screwed up with the
first one. The "files" directory in the first was actually just my
patches.

The new attachment has the ebuild, plus a files directory with the
files that go along with the ebuild, plus a third directory "patches"
with all the customer user patches. I think that covers it. Sorry for
the confusion.

Tom