just fine. When I try to "watch this channel" on Myth via Program Guide,
"signal" (IDK if that is strength or quality) dithers between 56% & 59% and
it can't get a lock. Recordings on that channel also fail.

What could explain this? Every other channel works fine. I am only 9 mi as
the crow flies from the mountain where all the stations broadcast.
Rabbitears.com lists the signal as good. If the app can lock the signal
accessing through the device then Myth accessing through the device should
able to also, no?
Re: HDHR app can tune a station but Myth via HDHR can't [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 3:37?AM DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a HDHR Duo. For one station (Channel 12), the HDHR app can tune it just fine. When I try to "watch this channel" on Myth via Program Guide, "signal" (IDK if that is strength or quality) dithers between 56% & 59% and it can't get a lock. Recordings on that channel also fail.
>
> What could explain this? Every other channel works fine. I am only 9 mi as the crow flies from the mountain where all the stations broadcast. Rabbitears.com lists the signal as good. If the app can lock the signal accessing through the device then Myth accessing through the device should able to also, no?

Yes, but. If the signal is "too strong", the HDHR's
can overload their frontend(*) and the decoding
can fail. And if you do not have an LTE filter, one
can find that the local (600Mhz) LTE signal
from one or more of the local mobile providers
results in overloads on the front end. And,
lastly, sometimes too strong a signal can
overload the frontend too, which can require
a pad(**), although if your other channels
are (deep) fringe may require a channel
specific pad (which is available, but typically
not cheap).

(*) RF frontend is a well understood term
in EE and RF physics.

(**) aka attenuator
Re: HDHR app can tune a station but Myth via HDHR can't [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 28, 2024, 9:00 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 3:37?AM DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have a HDHR Duo. For one station (Channel 12), the HDHR app can tune
> it just fine. When I try to "watch this channel" on Myth via Program Guide,
> "signal" (IDK if that is strength or quality) dithers between 56% & 59% and
> it can't get a lock. Recordings on that channel also fail.
> >
> > What could explain this? Every other channel works fine. I am only 9 mi
> as the crow flies from the mountain where all the stations broadcast.
> Rabbitears.com lists the signal as good. If the app can lock the signal
> accessing through the device then Myth accessing through the device should
> able to also, no?
>
> Yes, but. If the signal is "too strong", the HDHR's
> can overload their frontend(*) and the decoding
> can fail. And if you do not have an LTE filter, one
> can find that the local (600Mhz) LTE signal
> from one or more of the local mobile providers
> results in overloads on the front end. And,
> lastly, sometimes too strong a signal can
> overload the frontend too, which can require
> a pad(**), although if your other channels
> are (deep) fringe may require a channel
> specific pad (which is available, but typically
> not cheap).
>

> (*) RF frontend is a well understood term
> in EE and RF physics.
>
> (**) aka attenuator

It seems like if the first two were the case, the HDHR app wouldn't be able
to tune the channel either, but it can. As for too strong a signal
overloading Myth, channels with higher signal strength according to the
rabbitears.com report get locked by Myth just fine.

Re: HDHR app can tune a station but Myth via HDHR can't [ In reply to ]
On 2/28/24 20:15, DryHeat122 wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2024, 9:00 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 3:37?AM DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have a HDHR Duo. For one station (Channel 12), the HDHR app can tune it just fine. When I try to "watch this channel"
> on Myth via Program Guide, "signal" (IDK if that is strength or quality) dithers between 56% & 59% and it can't get a
> lock. Recordings on that channel also fail.
> >
> > What could explain this? Every other channel works fine. I am only 9 mi as the crow flies from the mountain where all
> the stations broadcast.  Rabbitears.com lists the signal as good. If the app can lock the signal accessing through the
> device then Myth accessing through the device should able to also, no?
>
> Yes, but.  If the signal is "too strong", the HDHR's
> can overload their frontend(*) and the decoding
> can fail.  And if you do not have an LTE filter, one
> can find that the local (600Mhz) LTE signal
> from one or more of the local mobile providers
> results in overloads on the front end.  And,
> lastly, sometimes too strong a signal can
> overload the frontend too, which can require
> a pad(**), although if your other channels
> are (deep) fringe may require a channel
> specific pad (which is available, but typically
> not cheap).
>

> (*) RF frontend is a well understood term
> in EE and RF physics.
>
> (**) aka attenuator
>

> It seems like if the first two were the case, the HDHR app wouldn't be able to tune the channel either, but it can. As for
> too strong a signal overloading Myth, channels with higher signal strength according to the rabbitears.com
> <http://rabbitears.com> report get locked by Myth just fine.

I presume that by "HDHR app" you mean "HDHomeRun Config" on your linux computer? If so, you can run that in parallel with mythTV
and see signal strength, signal quality, and symbol quality as mythTV is using that channel. You can also tell which tuner in
the tuner box MythTV is using by looking at which one is tuned to the channel that MythTV is tuned to.

It is not clear to me which HDHR you are using, there were several versions with two inputs. The very first one had two
independent inputs, one for each tuner. If only one is connected and MythTV is choosing the wrong one, the signal strength would
be very bad.

It used to be that each input on those early tuners could be programmed separately on MythTV, but since later HDHomeRun tuners
only have a single input, mythTV treats all of the tuners in a HDHR box as identical (even though the 4K box has two ATSC 3.0
tuners and two ATSC 1.0 tuners). If you have one of the early HDHomeRun tuners with two inputs, you must put a splitter in front
of it so both tuners see the same signal.

Another worry is that FM signals are much stronger than TV signals, and can saturate the input of the tuner or any pre-amp you
have on your antenna. You might need an FM trap. There are two types of FM trap, and they seldom say what type they are. One
will kill all FM, but will also kill channel 6, the other will keep channel 6 but only kills the lower frequency FM signals.
Which one you want depends on if there is a signal on channel 6 that you care about. The easiest way to tell them apart is with
a spectrum analyzer. Spectrum analyzers used to be very expensive, but recently they have gotten much cheaper. This one would
probably be adequate:
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-tinySA-Spectrum-Analyzer-Touchscreen/dp/B08H1S2SYR/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1XSBPWL2CWZS7&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.E2AAv7H7z2PGLOgyJTAO-lBDmuwuTT8_tR5Idv_aruCipw-410bgkNkSwwv_ClfodGqzCkYgCsPPRyJe9IaRW7oBwvtM3iO8yHWrMKZfCTYDNrv94v4jspDSXK2dBYm2bFRGrWLhmWuBtICIUEYVFWOhPGrFRVYLWMt56sKM4sEnl6Riigz-RS8hxevkqmiEp-mjqJeTIcH9Tl6KGcZ9ZdDBPfkVmxE8YJ5k4U20MHg.R6fUEd8L53gDWBKiF013trLV6zVZyfQ39wFUmwN8YDc&dib_tag=se&keywords=spectrum+analyzer&qid=1709184412&sprefix=spectrum+%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-2
Re: HDHR app can tune a station but Myth via HDHR can't [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 at 04:37, DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a HDHR Duo. For one station (Channel 12), the HDHR app can tune it
> just fine. When I try to "watch this channel" on Myth via Program Guide,
> "signal" (IDK if that is strength or quality) dithers between 56% & 59% and
> it can't get a lock. Recordings on that channel also fail.
>
> What could explain this? Every other channel works fine. I am only 9 mi as
> the crow flies from the mountain where all the stations broadcast.
> Rabbitears.com lists the signal as good. If the app can lock the signal
> accessing through the device then Myth accessing through the device should
> able to also, no?
>
> It can be that you need to scan for channels again. Sometimes it is needed
to create a new video source, connect the capturecards to the new video
source and then do the scan. To make sure both tuners work, you can after
doing the first scan on the first tuner do another scan on the second tuner.
You can also experiment with HTTP/IPTV to access the HDHomeRun if you run
the latest version of MythTV.
See the Wiki page
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Scanning_with_HDHomeRun_tuners

Klaas.