Mailing List Archive

optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia
In the past I've either used mythtv installed on Ubuntu via ppa or on
Debian building the packages myself. Today I tried to install on a fresh
Debian 12 system v34 using deb-multimedia stable backports.

I have the frontend and backend working fine at this point, however some of
the daily maintenance I try to set up is not working right now.
Specifically, I get errors on optimize_mythdb.pl.

It maybe a missing package, but I haven't a clue from the messages below

jim@den-pc:~$ sudo /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
optimize_mythdb.pl
Can't locate MythTV.pm in @INC (you may need to install the MythTV module)
(@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36.0
/usr/local/share/perl/5.36.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.36
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36 /usr/share/perl/5.36
/usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.

I've not had this issue before. I thought about installing the dependencies
using ansible, but since I was not building it myself, I have not done that.

JIm A
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 15:52:39 -0500, you wrote:

>In the past I've either used mythtv installed on Ubuntu via ppa or on
>Debian building the packages myself. Today I tried to install on a fresh
>Debian 12 system v34 using deb-multimedia stable backports.
>
>I have the frontend and backend working fine at this point, however some of
>the daily maintenance I try to set up is not working right now.
>Specifically, I get errors on optimize_mythdb.pl.
>
>It maybe a missing package, but I haven't a clue from the messages below
>
>jim@den-pc:~$ sudo /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
>optimize_mythdb.pl
>Can't locate MythTV.pm in @INC (you may need to install the MythTV module)
>(@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36.0
>/usr/local/share/perl/5.36.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.36
>/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base
>/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36 /usr/share/perl/5.36
>/usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
>optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
>BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
>/usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
>
>I've not had this issue before. I thought about installing the dependencies
>using ansible, but since I was not building it myself, I have not done that.
>
>JIm A

The MythTV.pm file is a Perl module found in the libmythtv-perl
package on Ubuntu. I would also recommend installing the
libmyth-python package so MythTV Python utilities such as
find_orphans.py will also work.

To find missing files on Ubuntu (and likely Debian also), you can use
"apt-file find". You have to install the apt-file package, and
remember to run "apt-file update" before using it so it has the latest
package databases.
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 6:12?PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 15:52:39 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >In the past I've either used mythtv installed on Ubuntu via ppa or on
> >Debian building the packages myself. Today I tried to install on a fresh
> >Debian 12 system v34 using deb-multimedia stable backports.
> >
> >I have the frontend and backend working fine at this point, however some
> of
> >the daily maintenance I try to set up is not working right now.
> >Specifically, I get errors on optimize_mythdb.pl.
> >
> >It maybe a missing package, but I haven't a clue from the messages below
> >
> >jim@den-pc:~$ sudo /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
> >optimize_mythdb.pl
> >Can't locate MythTV.pm in @INC (you may need to install the MythTV module)
> >(@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36.0
> >/usr/local/share/perl/5.36.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.36
> >/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base
> >/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36 /usr/share/perl/5.36
> >/usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
> >optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
> >BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> >/usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
> >
> >I've not had this issue before. I thought about installing the
> dependencies
> >using ansible, but since I was not building it myself, I have not done
> that.
> >
> >JIm A
>
> The MythTV.pm file is a Perl module found in the libmythtv-perl
> package on Ubuntu. I would also recommend installing the
> libmyth-python package so MythTV Python utilities such as
> find_orphans.py will also work.
>
> To find missing files on Ubuntu (and likely Debian also), you can use
> "apt-file find". You have to install the apt-file package, and
> remember to run "apt-file update" before using it so it has the latest
> package databases.

Thanks for the information. I decided that for me Debian's mythtv package
on deb-multimedia is not as complete as the Ubuntu packaging.

For this application it really doesn't matter whether I run Linux Mint or
Linux Mint Debian Edition.

I found that on Debian more offline work is needed to get the Database
setup even with the Web App help.

So for me I started over and installed LM21.3 and then Mythtv using the
ppa. I did install mariadb first; I always do that.

Web App finds mythconverg already setup. I got the backend/frontend
working in about 15 minutes. I use my systemd timer/service for
mythfilldatabase to keep xmltv up to date.

I use my version of your daily database check, optimize, and backup as a
systemd timer/service. I like that better than the weekly cron job.

The Ubuntu package for mythtv is complete. I didn't find any missing
dependencies. All the maintenance scripts including find_orphans.py worked
perfectly.

Jim A
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On 27/02/2024 22:54, James Abernathy wrote:
> [...]
> on deb-multimedia is not as complete as the Ubuntu packaging.
>
> For this application it really doesn't matter whether I run Linux Mint or
> Linux Mint Debian Edition.
>
> I found that on Debian more offline work is needed to get the Database
> setup even with the Web App help.
>
> So for me I started over and installed LM21.3 and then Mythtv using the
> ppa. I did install mariadb first; I always do that.
>
> Web App finds mythconverg already setup. I got the backend/frontend
> working in about 15 minutes. I use my systemd timer/service for
> mythfilldatabase to keep xmltv up to date.
>
> I use my version of your daily database check, optimize, and backup as a
> systemd timer/service. I like that better than the weekly cron job.
>
> The Ubuntu package for mythtv is complete. I didn't find any missing
> dependencies. All the maintenance scripts including find_orphans.py worked

It must be the packaging of v34 on deb-multimedia that is wrong, then. I have used deb-multimedia
for years now and not had any problems with dependencies.

I would add that I am /not/ using any kind of Mint. My backend is a naked Debian server and doesn't
even run X11. All access is via ssh. The main frontend is set up as a 'kiosk' with only lightdm and
openbox. Maintenance of that is via ssh as well.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 6:23?PM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 27/02/2024 22:54, James Abernathy wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 6:12?PM Stephen Worthington <
> > stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> fresh

> some
> >> of

> below

> module)
> /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/

> >> dependencies
> >> that.

> >> The MythTV.pm file is a Perl module found in the libmythtv-perl
> >> package on Ubuntu. I would also recommend installing the
> >> libmyth-python package so MythTV Python utilities such as
> >> find_orphans.py will also work.
> >>
> >> To find missing files on Ubuntu (and likely Debian also), you can use
> >> "apt-file find". You have to install the apt-file package, and
> >> remember to run "apt-file update" before using it so it has the latest
> >> package databases.
> >>

> > Thanks for the information. I decided that for me Debian's mythtv
> package
> > on deb-multimedia is not as complete as the Ubuntu packaging.
> >
> > For this application it really doesn't matter whether I run Linux Mint or
> > Linux Mint Debian Edition.
> >
> > I found that on Debian more offline work is needed to get the Database
> > setup even with the Web App help.
> >
> > So for me I started over and installed LM21.3 and then Mythtv using the
> > ppa. I did install mariadb first; I always do that.
> >
> > Web App finds mythconverg already setup. I got the backend/frontend
> > working in about 15 minutes. I use my systemd timer/service for
> > mythfilldatabase to keep xmltv up to date.
> >
> > I use my version of your daily database check, optimize, and backup as a
> > systemd timer/service. I like that better than the weekly cron job.
> >
> > The Ubuntu package for mythtv is complete. I didn't find any missing
> > dependencies. All the maintenance scripts including find_orphans.py
> worked
> > perfectly.
> >
> It must be the packaging of v34 on deb-multimedia that is wrong, then. I
> have used deb-multimedia
> for years now and not had any problems with dependencies.
>
> I would add that I am /not/ using any kind of Mint. My backend is a naked
> Debian server and doesn't
> even run X11. All access is via ssh. The main frontend is set up as a
> 'kiosk' with only lightdm and
> openbox. Maintenance of that is via ssh as well.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

If I could get the desktop on Debian to look as good as LMDE 6 I'd use it
instead. I will not use any Ubuntu official distro, but LM21.3 doesn't
have Snap packages. I will not use snap. I do use flatpak for things on
Debian that are way out of date, though. But flatpak is completely open
source. The next time I update my production remote backend, I'll most
likely move it to LM. It makes MythTV cleaner for me without snaps. Now I
use Kubuntu but I've removed snaps completely.

JIm A
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 6:12?PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 15:52:39 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >In the past I've either used mythtv installed on Ubuntu via ppa or on
> >Debian building the packages myself. Today I tried to install on a fresh
> >Debian 12 system v34 using deb-multimedia stable backports.
> >
> >I have the frontend and backend working fine at this point, however some
> of
> >the daily maintenance I try to set up is not working right now.
> >Specifically, I get errors on optimize_mythdb.pl.
> >
> >It maybe a missing package, but I haven't a clue from the messages below
> >
> >jim@den-pc:~$ sudo /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
> >optimize_mythdb.pl
> >Can't locate MythTV.pm in @INC (you may need to install the MythTV module)
> >(@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36.0
> >/usr/local/share/perl/5.36.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.36
> >/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base
> >/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36 /usr/share/perl/5.36
> >/usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
> >optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
> >BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> >/usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
> >
> >I've not had this issue before. I thought about installing the
> dependencies
> >using ansible, but since I was not building it myself, I have not done
> that.
> >
> >JIm A
>
> The MythTV.pm file is a Perl module found in the libmythtv-perl
> package on Ubuntu. I would also recommend installing the
> libmyth-python package so MythTV Python utilities such as
> find_orphans.py will also work.
>
> To find missing files on Ubuntu (and likely Debian also), you can use
> "apt-file find". You have to install the apt-file package, and
> remember to run "apt-file update" before using it so it has the latest
> package databases.

I just discovered using a VM with Debian 12 installed that libmythtv-perl
in deb-multimedia.org exists for v33 but not 34.

I've started an email thread with the deb-multimedia contact for dependency
issues.

JIm A
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 9:30?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 6:12?PM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 15:52:39 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>> >In the past I've either used mythtv installed on Ubuntu via ppa or on
>> >Debian building the packages myself. Today I tried to install on a fresh
>> >Debian 12 system v34 using deb-multimedia stable backports.
>> >
>> >I have the frontend and backend working fine at this point, however some
>> of
>> >the daily maintenance I try to set up is not working right now.
>> >Specifically, I get errors on optimize_mythdb.pl.
>> >
>> >It maybe a missing package, but I haven't a clue from the messages below
>> >
>> >jim@den-pc:~$ sudo /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
>> >optimize_mythdb.pl
>> >Can't locate MythTV.pm in @INC (you may need to install the MythTV
>> module)
>> >(@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36.0
>> >/usr/local/share/perl/5.36.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.36
>> >/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base
>> >/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.36 /usr/share/perl/5.36
>> >/usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/
>> >optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
>> >BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
>> >/usr/share/doc/mythtv/examples/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl line 15.
>> >
>> >I've not had this issue before. I thought about installing the
>> dependencies
>> >using ansible, but since I was not building it myself, I have not done
>> that.
>> >
>> >JIm A
>>
>> The MythTV.pm file is a Perl module found in the libmythtv-perl
>> package on Ubuntu. I would also recommend installing the
>> libmyth-python package so MythTV Python utilities such as
>> find_orphans.py will also work.
>>
>> To find missing files on Ubuntu (and likely Debian also), you can use
>> "apt-file find". You have to install the apt-file package, and
>> remember to run "apt-file update" before using it so it has the latest
>> package databases.
>>

> I just discovered using a VM with Debian 12 installed that libmythtv-perl
> in deb-multimedia.org exists for v33 but not 34.
>
> I've started an email thread with the deb-multimedia contact for
> dependency issues.
>
> JIm A

So I've found what is missing. In Debian 12 you have to add mythtv by
adding the deb-multimedia repo per the stable-backports instructions.

Then you:

sudo apt-get -t stable-backports install mythtv libmythtv-perl

Next you need sudo apt install libxml-simple-perl

At this port mythtv backend and frontend can be configured and set up.

Also optimize_mythdb.pl will work. It needed the v34 libmythtv-perl and
libxml-simple-perl

Jim A
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:08?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I've found what is missing. In Debian 12 you have to add mythtv by adding the deb-multimedia repo per the stable-backports instructions.
>
> Then you:
>
> sudo apt-get -t stable-backports install mythtv libmythtv-perl
>
> Next you need sudo apt install libxml-simple-perl
>
> At this port mythtv backend and frontend can be configured and set up.
>
> Also optimize_mythdb.pl will work. It needed the v34 libmythtv-perl and libxml-simple-perl

If you need to manually install additional
packages for things to work well, you
(well, the packager) needs to add those
packages to the dependency list as part
of the build. While many build systems
auto-generate the dependencies for
perl and python sources, there are some
dependencies (probably including such
as those in the "contrib" area) for which
such auto generation will not occur. I
know at least one other distro packaging
that has such additional dependencies
in their build recipe so those additional
libraries are pulled in.

You should let the packager know about
what they need to change their packages.
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 10:49?AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:08?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So I've found what is missing. In Debian 12 you have to add mythtv by
> adding the deb-multimedia repo per the stable-backports instructions.
> >
> > Then you:
> >
> > sudo apt-get -t stable-backports install mythtv libmythtv-perl
> >
> > Next you need sudo apt install libxml-simple-perl
> >
> > At this port mythtv backend and frontend can be configured and set up.
> >
> > Also optimize_mythdb.pl will work. It needed the v34 libmythtv-perl
> and libxml-simple-perl
>
> If you need to manually install additional
> packages for things to work well, you
> (well, the packager) needs to add those
> packages to the dependency list as part
> of the build. While many build systems
> auto-generate the dependencies for
> perl and python sources, there are some
> dependencies (probably including such
> as those in the "contrib" area) for which
> such auto generation will not occur. I
> know at least one other distro packaging
> that has such additional dependencies
> in their build recipe so those additional
> libraries are pulled in.
>
> You should let the packager know about
> what they need to change their packages.
>
> I've emailed the packager about the two missing dependencies.

JIm A
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 6:12?PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> The MythTV.pm file is a Perl module found in the libmythtv-perl
> package on Ubuntu. I would also recommend installing the
> libmyth-python package so MythTV Python utilities such as
> find_orphans.py will also work.
>
> To find missing files on Ubuntu (and likely Debian also), you can use
> "apt-file find". You have to install the apt-file package, and
> remember to run "apt-file update" before using it so it has the latest
> package databases.

So installing libmythtv-perl and libxml-simple-perl fix optimize-mythdb.pl.

However, for find_orphans,py I'm getting an error. If it's related to
libmyth-python(3) that doesn't exist on deb-multimedia.

Console log below:

./find_orphans.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/jim/./find_orphans.py", line 221, in <module>
DB = MythDB()
^^^^^^^^
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/MythTV/database.py", line 1276, in
__init__
raise MythDBError(MythError.DB_CREDENTIALS)
MythTV.exceptions.MythDBError: Could not find database login credentials

Jim A
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 3:07?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 6:12?PM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>

>> The MythTV.pm file is a Perl module found in the libmythtv-perl
>> package on Ubuntu. I would also recommend installing the
>> libmyth-python package so MythTV Python utilities such as
>> find_orphans.py will also work.
>>
>> To find missing files on Ubuntu (and likely Debian also), you can use
>> "apt-file find". You have to install the apt-file package, and
>> remember to run "apt-file update" before using it so it has the latest
>> package databases.
>>

> So installing libmythtv-perl and libxml-simple-perl fix optimize-mythdb.pl
> .
>
> However, for find_orphans,py I'm getting an error. If it's related to
> libmyth-python(3) that doesn't exist on deb-multimedia.
>
> Console log below:
>
> ./find_orphans.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/home/jim/./find_orphans.py", line 221, in <module>
> DB = MythDB()
> ^^^^^^^^
> File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/MythTV/database.py", line 1276, in
> __init__
> raise MythDBError(MythError.DB_CREDENTIALS)
> MythTV.exceptions.MythDBError: Could not find database login credentials
>
> Jim A

Never mind. This was a permissions problem on the /mythtv directory. GID
and UID changed on me.

Jim A
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On 28/02/2024 21:18, James Abernathy wrote:

> Never mind. This was a permissions problem on the /mythtv directory. GID
> and UID changed on me.

Which is why I always create the mythtv user with a known UID and GID (i) after doing a fresh
install and (ii) before I install any mythtv packages. It means I have the same values on all
backends and frontends. That also means I get a $HOME directory in /home rather than down the /lib tree.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 5:57?PM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 28/02/2024 21:18, James Abernathy wrote:
> >
> > Never mind. This was a permissions problem on the /mythtv directory. GID
> > and UID changed on me.
> >
> Which is why I always create the mythtv user with a known UID and GID (i)
> after doing a fresh
> install and (ii) before I install any mythtv packages. It means I have the
> same values on all
> backends and frontends. That also means I get a $HOME directory in /home
> rather than down the /lib tree.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

I like your idea, but I ran into a problem that it brings up at least on a
Debian 12 install of mythtv using deb-mulitmedia.org

If you install mythtv using DMO, you will get an install that puts the user
mythtv's home in /var/lib/mythtv/. And you get a random password for
mythconverg.

This works and the web app immediately comes up with good indicators on the
database and you can move on.

However, if you create your mythtv user ahead of time and make its home
/home/mythtv/ then the Web App seems to fail when you test the database.

The main screen of Web App shows 'mythtv' as the password, but it creates a
random one and puts that in /etc/mythtv/config.xml

Once I knew this I could copy the config.xml password and paste it into the
web app and restart the backend and things proceed.

This was not easy to find and could lead a newbie upset with the web app.

Not sure if this happens on all distros, but it happens on Debian with
mythtv from DMO

Jim A
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 12:30?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 5:57?PM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 28/02/2024 21:18, James Abernathy wrote:
>> >
>> > Never mind. This was a permissions problem on the /mythtv directory. GID
>> > and UID changed on me.
>> >
>> Which is why I always create the mythtv user with a known UID and GID (i)
>> after doing a fresh
>> install and (ii) before I install any mythtv packages. It means I have
>> the same values on all
>> backends and frontends. That also means I get a $HOME directory in /home
>> rather than down the /lib tree.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Perkins
>>

> I like your idea, but I ran into a problem that it brings up at least on a
> Debian 12 install of mythtv using deb-mulitmedia.org
>
> If you install mythtv using DMO, you will get an install that puts the
> user mythtv's home in /var/lib/mythtv/. And you get a random password for
> mythconverg.
>
> This works and the web app immediately comes up with good indicators on
> the database and you can move on.
>
> However, if you create your mythtv user ahead of time and make its home
> /home/mythtv/ then the Web App seems to fail when you test the database.
>
> The main screen of Web App shows 'mythtv' as the password, but it creates
> a random one and puts that in /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>
> Once I knew this I could copy the config.xml password and paste it into
> the web app and restart the backend and things proceed.
>
> This was not easy to find and could lead a newbie upset with the web app.
>
> Not sure if this happens on all distros, but it happens on Debian with
> mythtv from DMO
>
> Jim A

What happens if you create a symlink from '/home/mythtv/.mythtv' to
'/var/lib/mythtv' ?

Roland
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 1:54?PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 12:30?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 5:57?PM Mike Perkins <
>> mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

>>> GID
>>> >
>>> Which is why I always create the mythtv user with a known UID and GID
>>> (i) after doing a fresh
>>> install and (ii) before I install any mythtv packages. It means I have
>>> the same values on all
>>> backends and frontends. That also means I get a $HOME directory in /home
>>> rather than down the /lib tree.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Mike Perkins
>>>

>> I like your idea, but I ran into a problem that it brings up at least on
>> a Debian 12 install of mythtv using deb-mulitmedia.org
>>
>> If you install mythtv using DMO, you will get an install that puts the
>> user mythtv's home in /var/lib/mythtv/. And you get a random password for
>> mythconverg.
>>
>> This works and the web app immediately comes up with good indicators on
>> the database and you can move on.
>>
>> However, if you create your mythtv user ahead of time and make its home
>> /home/mythtv/ then the Web App seems to fail when you test the database.
>>
>> The main screen of Web App shows 'mythtv' as the password, but it creates
>> a random one and puts that in /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>>
>> Once I knew this I could copy the config.xml password and paste it into
>> the web app and restart the backend and things proceed.
>>
>> This was not easy to find and could lead a newbie upset with the web app.
>>
>> Not sure if this happens on all distros, but it happens on Debian with
>> mythtv from DMO
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> What happens if you create a symlink from '/home/mythtv/.mythtv' to
> '/var/lib/mythtv' ?
>
> Roland

I don't think the home directory is the problem. The system uses
/etc/mythtv/config.xml as far as I know.

I have done tests with default user setup and mythtv created first. With
home at /var/lib/mythtv and /home/mythtv.

It's just odd that creating the user first causes the Web App to stuff
'mythtv' as the database password instead of what it puts in the official
/etc/mythtv/config.xml file

JIm A
Re: optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 3:32?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 1:54?PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I like your idea, but I ran into a problem that it brings up at least on a Debian 12 install of mythtv using deb-mulitmedia.org
>>>
>>> If you install mythtv using DMO, you will get an install that puts the user mythtv's home in /var/lib/mythtv/. And you get a random password for mythconverg.
>>>
>>> This works and the web app immediately comes up with good indicators on the database and you can move on.
>>>
>>> However, if you create your mythtv user ahead of time and make its home /home/mythtv/ then the Web App seems to fail when you test the database.
>>>
>>> The main screen of Web App shows 'mythtv' as the password, but it creates a random one and puts that in /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>>>
>>> Once I knew this I could copy the config.xml password and paste it into the web app and restart the backend and things proceed.
>>>
>>> This was not easy to find and could lead a newbie upset with the web app.
>>>
>>> Not sure if this happens on all distros, but it happens on Debian with mythtv from DMO
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>

>> What happens if you create a symlink from '/home/mythtv/.mythtv' to '/var/lib/mythtv' ?
>>
>> Roland
>

> I don't think the home directory is the problem. The system uses /etc/mythtv/config.xml as far as I know.
>
> I have done tests with default user setup and mythtv created first. With home at /var/lib/mythtv and /home/mythtv.
>
> It's just odd that creating the user first causes the Web App to stuff 'mythtv' as the database password instead of what it puts in the official /etc/mythtv/config.xml file
>
> JIm A

Testing has confirmed that the problem is the fact that currently the
deb-multimedia.org packaging for mythtv has a statement included in
mythtv-backup.service :

Environment=HOME=/var/lib/mythtv

It turns out this is not needed. The maintainer will remove this
statement on the next upload.

Jim A