'/home/jim/build/mythplugins-light_34.0-10-ga88dd47ba4-0_arm64_bookworm.deb'
couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission
denied)

I'm not sure what it means. I get the same error for mythtv-light and
mythplugins-light. Should I worry about it? I do have a complete
backend/frontend combo working on the RPI4, so most things are working
fine.

Jim A
Re: warning/error while installing mythtv-light v34 on Raspberry PI OS [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2024-02-23 at 08:43 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:
> I built mythtv-light and mythplugins-light for fixes/34 and posted
> the debs files on Orangedox.  However, I get a warning or error, not
> sure which, when I install the debs.
>
> The code works on my RPI4 4GB as well as it normally does, which is
> not acceptable to me. But I wanted to get at least one version of
> fixes/34 posted for those who could not build it themselves.
>
> The error at the end of the install is:
>
> N: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file
> '/home/jim/build/mythplugins-light_34.0-10-ga88dd47ba4-
> 0_arm64_bookworm.deb' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. -
> pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)
>
> I'm not sure what it means. I get the same error for mythtv-light and
> mythplugins-light. Should I worry about it? I do have a complete
> backend/frontend combo working on the RPI4, so most things are
> working fine.

According to google, installs are normally done by first switching to
the user id '_apt'. Since _apt doesn't have permission to read files in
your home directory, the install ran as the user root. The message is
harmless. You could get rid of it by giving _apt access to your build
directory, or by copying the files to /tmp before installing them.

David

Re: warning/error while installing mythtv-light v34 on Raspberry PI OS [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 9:05?AM David Hampton via mythtv-users <
mythtv-users@mythtv.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2024-02-23 at 08:43 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:
> > I built mythtv-light and mythplugins-light for fixes/34 and posted
> > the debs files on Orangedox. However, I get a warning or error, not
> > sure which, when I install the debs.
> >
> > The code works on my RPI4 4GB as well as it normally does, which is
> > not acceptable to me. But I wanted to get at least one version of
> > fixes/34 posted for those who could not build it themselves.
> >
> > The error at the end of the install is:
> >
> > N: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file
> > '/home/jim/build/mythplugins-light_34.0-10-ga88dd47ba4-
> > 0_arm64_bookworm.deb' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. -
> > pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)
> >
> > I'm not sure what it means. I get the same error for mythtv-light and
> > mythplugins-light. Should I worry about it? I do have a complete
> > backend/frontend combo working on the RPI4, so most things are
> > working fine.
>
> According to google, installs are normally done by first switching to
> the user id '_apt'. Since _apt doesn't have permission to read files in
> your home directory, the install ran as the user root. The message is
> harmless. You could get rid of it by giving _apt access to your build
> directory, or by copying the files to /tmp before installing them.
>
> David

I'm awed by your superior googling skills. :-)
So the safe method seems to be moving the debs files to /tmp and then doing
the install.

Thanks for the help.

JIm A
Re: warning/error while installing mythtv-light v34 on Raspberry PI OS [ In reply to ]
Hi Jim,

* The code works on my RPI4 4GB as well as it normally does, which is not acceptable to me. But I wanted to get at least one version of fixes/34 posted for those who could not build it themselves.

Could you recap what makes fixes/34 not acceptable on your raspi?
My experience on current RaspiOs Bookworm

Pi5:

* X11
* Remove /etc/xdg/autostart/xcompmgr.desktop

Pi4:

* Even without xcompmgr, I still get tearing in X11 so
* Wayland only works reasonably with the color space patch from https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/855; without that mythtv uses an RGB 6:5:6 (16 bit) Surface with terrible color reproduction and very visible banding
* Hiding Mouse cursor requires wayfire plugin hide-cursor from https://github.com/WayfireWM/wayfire-plugins-extra
* Unresolved: Can’t get wakeup from DPMS to work when using a lirc based remote

Except for the wakeup from screen blanking issue, I find no issues with playback up to and including h.264 1080p50 (I haven’t tried 1080p60)

Bye, Martin
no.disclaimer
Re: warning/error while installing mythtv-light v34 on Raspberry PI OS [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 1:37?PM Martin Bene <Martin.Bene@icomedias.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>

> - The code works on my RPI4 4GB as well as it normally does, which is
> not acceptable to me. But I wanted to get at least one version of fixes/34
> posted for those who could not build it themselves.
>

> Could you recap what makes fixes/34 not acceptable on your raspi?
>
> My experience on current RaspiOs Bookworm
>

> Pi5:
>
> - X11
> - Remove /etc/xdg/autostart/xcompmgr.desktop
>

> Pi4:
>
> - Even without xcompmgr, I still get tearing in X11 so
> - Wayland only works reasonably with the color space patch from
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/855; without that mythtv uses
> an RGB 6:5:6 (16 bit) Surface with terrible color reproduction and very
> visible banding
> - Hiding Mouse cursor requires wayfire plugin hide-cursor from
> https://github.com/WayfireWM/wayfire-plugins-extra
> - Unresolved: Can’t get wakeup from DPMS to work when using a lirc
> based remote
>

> Except for the wakeup from screen blanking issue, I find no issues with
> playback up to and including h.264 1080p50 (I haven’t tried 1080p60)
>

> Bye, Martin
>
> no.disclaimer

When I worked, I spent too much time trying to help customers get our low
powered CPU and GFX to provide the video they needed/wanted. So I looked
at a lot of crappy video performance and became overly sensitive to jittery
video, frame rate problems, lip-sync issues, etc, etc.

I've wasted too much time trying to get the RPI 4 to run mythfrontend to
my satisfaction. It's not too far off, but since I have a FireTV 4K on
every TV I own, I use that because the FireTV 4K is far superior to the RPI
4 in every way. mythfrontend is pretty good on the FireTV 4K and Leanfront
is perfect. Leanfront has a better picture than I can get on my Intel NUC
1165G7. Also the FireTV 4K Max I use on both our UHD 4K TV takes the
1080i/720P MPEG2 HD over the air programs and improves them a lot. The RPI
4 can't do that.

So I'm not wasting any more money on RPI 4/5 for Mythtv projects. Maybe
for a remote backend for my FireTVs. But since I like commercial flagging,
you need more than a raspberry PI.

JIm A
Re: warning/error while installing mythtv-light v34 on Raspberry PI OS [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 9:18?AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 9:05?AM David Hampton via mythtv-users <
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2024-02-23 at 08:43 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:
>> > I built mythtv-light and mythplugins-light for fixes/34 and posted
>> > the debs files on Orangedox. However, I get a warning or error, not
>> > sure which, when I install the debs.
>> >
>> > The code works on my RPI4 4GB as well as it normally does, which is
>> > not acceptable to me. But I wanted to get at least one version of
>> > fixes/34 posted for those who could not build it themselves.
>> >
>> > The error at the end of the install is:
>> >
>> > N: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file
>> > '/home/jim/build/mythplugins-light_34.0-10-ga88dd47ba4-
>> > 0_arm64_bookworm.deb' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. -
>> > pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what it means. I get the same error for mythtv-light and
>> > mythplugins-light. Should I worry about it? I do have a complete
>> > backend/frontend combo working on the RPI4, so most things are
>> > working fine.
>>
>> According to google, installs are normally done by first switching to
>> the user id '_apt'. Since _apt doesn't have permission to read files in
>> your home directory, the install ran as the user root. The message is
>> harmless. You could get rid of it by giving _apt access to your build
>> directory, or by copying the files to /tmp before installing them.
>>
>> David
>>

> I'm awed by your superior googling skills. :-)
> So the safe method seems to be moving the debs files to /tmp and then
> doing the install.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> JIm A

To satisfy my curiosity, I built mythtv-light on a fresh RPI OS 64 bit
system and after the build I copied the .deb to /tmp/ and then installed
with:
sudo apt install /tmp/mythtv-light.....deb
That worked without warning or comment.

Thanks, again.

Jim A