Mailing List Archive

Problems with DB and apache2 after upgrade to ubuntu 22.04
I'm not a regular ubuntu user but have just tried to upgrade an old box
from 20.04 LTS to 22.0 4LTS

Shortly before that I had upgraded from MythTV 33-fixes to Master from
the ppa, and MythTV had seemed to work ok, both before and after.

The graphical OS upgrade looked ok too, but during reboot it

"Failed to start The Apache HTTP server" and

"sudo systemctl status apache2" gives an AH00256 complaint about a

"Syntax error on line 117 of /etc/apache2/ssites-enabled/mythweb.conf".

I edited that line, and have now removed mythweb, but still see the same
warning.

So at present the deprecated mythtv-setup

(actually "MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythtv-setup.real -w" )

isn't finding the DB, and the new web-based setupwizard isn't accessible.

I'm wondering if I should perhaps remove and then reinstall all the
mythtv packages - but hope someone has a less drastic suggestion?

TIA

John P
Re: Problems with DB and apache2 after upgrade to ubuntu 22.04 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 12:59?PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "Syntax error on line 117 of /etc/apache2/ssites-enabled/mythweb.conf".
>
> I edited that line, and have now removed mythweb, but still see the same
> warning.

I'm not 100% sure here as I've not run Myth on Ubuntu, however I suspect
that you have a typo somewhere; either in posting here (ssites-enabled) or
editing something on your system.
After checking for the double-ss ssites-enabled typo, also consider that
"sites-enabled" is where symlinks to the actual
"sites-available/somesite.conf" files go ; so instead of editing the
"enabled" site, edit the original file from "available" dir.

mike@alsvartr:/etc/apache2/sites-enabled$ ls -al
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 32 Jan 20 13:27 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 228 Jan 20 13:27 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Jan 20 13:27 000-default.conf ->
../sites-available/000-default.conf

I suspect that this typo somewhere may be related to the issue of Apache
still reporting the error even though you seemingly removed config for it.
If Apache still sees the config, the error still persists. If the config
was really removed, so would be the error as well.

Of note, what was line 117 anyway?

Mike
Re: Problems with DB and apache2 after upgrade to ubuntu 22.04 [ In reply to ]
On 20/01/2024 20:29, Mike Hodson wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 12:59?PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com
> <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> "Syntax error on line 117 of /etc/apache2/ssites-enabled/mythweb.conf".
>
> I edited that line, and have now removed mythweb, but still see the
> same
> warning.
>

> I'm not 100% sure here as I've not run Myth on Ubuntu, however I suspect
> that you have a typo somewhere; either in posting here (ssites-enabled)
> or editing something on your system.
> After checking for the double-ss ssites-enabled typo, also consider that
> "sites-enabled" is where symlinks to the actual
> "sites-available/somesite.conf" files go ; so instead of editing the
> "enabled" site, edit the original file from "available" dir.
>
> mike@alsvartr:/etc/apache2/sites-enabled$ ls -al
> total 4
> drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  32 Jan 20 13:27 .
> drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 228 Jan 20 13:27 ..
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  35 Jan 20 13:27 000-default.conf->
> ../sites-available/000-default.conf
>
> I suspect that this typo somewhere may be related to the issue of Apache
> still reporting the error even though you seemingly removed config for it.
> If Apache still sees the config, the error still persists. If the config
> was really removed, so would be the error as well.
>
> Of note, what was line 117 anyway?
>
> Mike

Thanks for your reply. First, the ss was from my keyboard entry. But
after removing mythtweb and rebooting I now have adobe2 running.

I think I edited the 'enabled ' file, so the edit probably didn't stick.

I'm told I don't have permission to access (any likely address):6544

line 117 was " php_value file_uploads 0 "

John

Re: Problems with DB and apache2 after upgrade to ubuntu 22.04 [ In reply to ]
On 20/01/2024 20:59, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 20/01/2024 20:29, Mike Hodson wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 12:59?PM John Pilkington
>> <johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     "Syntax error on line 117 of
>> /etc/apache2/ssites-enabled/mythweb.conf".
>>
>>     I edited that line, and have now removed mythweb, but still see the
>>     same
>>     warning.
>>

>> I'm not 100% sure here as I've not run Myth on Ubuntu, however I
>> suspect that you have a typo somewhere; either in posting here
>> (ssites-enabled) or editing something on your system.
>> After checking for the double-ss ssites-enabled typo, also consider
>> that "sites-enabled" is where symlinks to the actual
>> "sites-available/somesite.conf" files go ; so instead of editing the
>> "enabled" site, edit the original file from "available" dir.
>>
>> mike@alsvartr:/etc/apache2/sites-enabled$ ls -al
>> total 4
>> drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  32 Jan 20 13:27 .
>> drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 228 Jan 20 13:27 ..
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  35 Jan 20 13:27 000-default.conf->
>> ../sites-available/000-default.conf
>>
>> I suspect that this typo somewhere may be related to the issue of
>> Apache still reporting the error even though you seemingly removed
>> config for it.
>> If Apache still sees the config, the error still persists. If the
>> config was really removed, so would be the error as well.
>>
>> Of note, what was line 117 anyway?
>>
>> Mike
>
> Thanks for your reply.  First, the ss was from my keyboard entry.  But
> after removing mythtweb and rebooting I now have adobe2 running.
>
> I think I edited the  'enabled ' file, so the edit probably didn't stick.
>
> I'm told I don't have permission to access (any likely address):6544
>
> line 117 was "  php_value  file_uploads   0 "
>
> John

I now find that the ppa repo(s) were "disabled on upgrade to jammy", so
the mythpackages remain as their 20.04 versions... Will try to upgrade
there too.

Re: Problems with DB and apache2 after upgrade to ubuntu 22.04 [ In reply to ]
On 1/20/24 14:57, John Pilkington wrote:
> I'm not a regular ubuntu user but have just tried to upgrade an old
> box from 20.04 LTS to 22.0 4LTS

FWIW I never upgrade ubuntu. I install the next version into a new
partition and then install the packages I need. This way I get to clean
up the system by leaving out things I had installed but did not need,
and getting everything to a clean start.

Peter

Re: Problems with DB and apache2 after upgrade to ubuntu 22.04 [ In reply to ]
On 20/01/2024 20:59, John Pilkington wrote:

> I think I edited the  'enabled ' file, so the edit probably didn't stick.

That is a simple symlink and it should make no difference at all. I edit 'sites-enabled' files
regularly without any issues. The underlying 'sites-available' file gets the edit.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Problems with DB and apache2 after upgrade to ubuntu 22.04 [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 21, 2024, at 03:57, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not a regular ubuntu user but have just tried to upgrade an old box from 20.04 LTS to 22.0 4LTS
>
> Shortly before that I had upgraded from MythTV 33-fixes to Master from the ppa, and MythTV had seemed to work ok, both before and after.
>

> The graphical OS upgrade looked ok too, but during reboot it
>
> "Failed to start The Apache HTTP server" and
>
> "sudo systemctl status apache2" gives an AH00256 complaint about a
>
> "Syntax error on line 117 of /etc/apache2/ssites-enabled/mythweb.conf".
>
> I edited that line, and have now removed mythweb, but still see the same warning.
>
> So at present the deprecated mythtv-setup
>
> (actually "MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythtv-setup.real -w" )
>
> isn't finding the DB, and the new web-based setupwizard isn't accessible.
>
> I'm wondering if I should perhaps remove and then reinstall all the mythtv packages - but hope someone has a less drastic suggestion?

John a few thoughts that would help an auld fart like moi:

Many bits of ubuntu do not suit me, but during trouble shooting (*) I did install lubuntu 22.04. I did not do an upgrade.
I built from src as per the wiki. Using apt-file makes spelunking for ‘something’ very easy.
From start install to a working mythtv was I guess 35 minutes.

After a week of learning methinks Peter et al's Backend browser on master is better than mythweb.

If you want to play there are tutorials for setting up LAMP, but you can just install mariadb.
One caution is that the tools DO NOT use localhost, so you absolutely need to change the bind address. I used 0.0.0.0 but concern that my wife will hack mythtv is zero.

What I find is that using a ppa and understanding what ‘they’ did is harder/more work than just doing it.

(*) troubleshooting ryzen cpu (but not intel) runnning lxqt (but not plasma). When nomachine connects to the server, when screensaver is active (display OFF) then ‘No Remote Display’ is found.

James
Re: Problems with DB and apache2 after upgrade to ubuntu 22.04 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 13:43:48 +0800, you wrote:

>One caution is that the tools DO NOT use localhost, so you absolutely need to change the bind address. I used 0.0.0.0 but concern that my wife will hack mythtv is zero.

Use "bind-address=*" for both IPv4 and IPv6.
Re: Problems with DB and apache2 after upgrade to ubuntu 22.04 [ In reply to ]
On 20/01/2024 19:57, John Pilkington wrote:
> I'm not a regular ubuntu user but have just tried to upgrade an old box
> from 20.04 LTS to 22.0 4LTS
>
> Shortly before that I had upgraded from MythTV 33-fixes to Master from
> the ppa, and MythTV had seemed to work ok, both before and after.
>

> The graphical OS upgrade looked ok too, but during reboot it
>
> "Failed to start The Apache HTTP server" and
>
> "sudo systemctl status apache2" gives an AH00256 complaint about a
>
> "Syntax error on line 117 of /etc/apache2/ssites-enabled/mythweb.conf".
>
> I edited that line, and have now removed mythweb, but still see the same
> warning.
>
> So at present the deprecated mythtv-setup
>
> (actually "MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythtv-setup.real -w" )
>
> isn't finding the DB, and the new web-based setupwizard isn't accessible.
>
> I'm wondering if I should perhaps remove and then reinstall all the
> mythtv packages - but hope someone has a less drastic suggestion?
>
> TIA

Thanks to all who replied. It seems to be working now.

It was fairly straightforward to get the Apache2 working, but finding
the DB was difficult. The problem seems to have been a trailing space
in the DB name being sought: "mythconverg "

I suppose I must have introduced that while flailing around.