backend.

What I can do is turn off firewalld, run mythfrontend, and when it fails to
connect with the backend have it search for it. When it finds the backend,
it setups up config.xml and everything will continue to work after I turn
firewalld back on.

There is a service listed in firewalld GUI that is called 'upnp-client'.

Would that be the thing I need to allow?

Jim A
Re: firewall interaction with MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 4, 2023 at 9:09?AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have a network issue that I've been avoiding for a while. I've finally
> decided to spend some time on it to get it solved.
>
> On my Archlinux/EndeavourOS frontend 'firewalld' runs as the network
> firewall. Once I set the default Zone to Home most things run fine.
> However, I can't seem to ever get mythfrontend to search to find the
> backend.
>
> What I can do is turn off firewalld, run mythfrontend, and when it fails
> to connect with the backend have it search for it. When it finds the
> backend, it setups up config.xml and everything will continue to work after
> I turn firewalld back on.
>
> There is a service listed in firewalld GUI that is called 'upnp-client'.
>
> Would that be the thing I need to allow?
>
> Jim A

I did discover that checking upnp-client has no effect. However, I do have
a workaround. Just turning off firewalld during the initial search for the
backend will allow it to connect. Once the config.xml is created, you can
turn firewalld back on and mythfrontend will work from then on.

Jim A
Re: firewall interaction with MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 08:52:21 -0500, you wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 4, 2023 at 9:09?AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I have a network issue that I've been avoiding for a while. I've finally
>> decided to spend some time on it to get it solved.
>>
>> On my Archlinux/EndeavourOS frontend 'firewalld' runs as the network
>> firewall. Once I set the default Zone to Home most things run fine.
>> However, I can't seem to ever get mythfrontend to search to find the
>> backend.
>>
>> What I can do is turn off firewalld, run mythfrontend, and when it fails
>> to connect with the backend have it search for it. When it finds the
>> backend, it setups up config.xml and everything will continue to work after
>> I turn firewalld back on.
>>
>> There is a service listed in firewalld GUI that is called 'upnp-client'.
>>
>> Would that be the thing I need to allow?
>>
>> Jim A
>>

>I did discover that checking upnp-client has no effect. However, I do have
>a workaround. Just turning off firewalld during the initial search for the
>backend will allow it to connect. Once the config.xml is created, you can
>turn firewalld back on and mythfrontend will work from then on.
>
>Jim A

That sounds like firewalld is blocking the broadcast messages used to
find things. Once there is a config.xml, the connection is direct
without any need for a broadcast message.