How can I disable metdata update?

Thanks for your help,
David
How to disable metadata downloads... [ In reply to ]
I have looked at changing the recording rule and the metadata option
does not provide a option to not do the update but only how to do the
update.

The default rule has the metadata option grayed out, so I can't change
it there either.

I have also tried removing /usr/bin/mythmetadatalookup. That did not
help.

There is also /usr/share/mythtv/metadata directory that I moved.

None of this has stopped the metadata being updated.

Re: How to disable metadata downloads... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:07:56 -0600, you wrote:

>I have looked at changing the recording rule and the metadata option
>does not provide a option to not do the update but only how to do the
>update.
>
>The default rule has the metadata option grayed out, so I can't change
>it there either.
>
>I have also tried removing /usr/bin/mythmetadatalookup. That did not
>help.
>
>There is also /usr/share/mythtv/metadata directory that I moved.
>
>None of this has stopped the metadata being updated.
>
>How can I disable metdata update?
>
>Thanks for your help,
>David

Where are you trying to edit the recording rules? In mythfrontend,
edit a recording rule, go to Post Processing and the "Automatically
Look Up Metadata" option can be changed by using the space bar on that
option.

Re: How to disable metadata downloads... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 09:48:14 -0600, you wrote:

>I have looked at changing the recording rule and the metadata option
>does not provide a option to not do the update but only how to do the
>update.
>
>The default rule has the metadata option grayed out, so I can't change
>it there either.
>
>I have also tried removing /usr/bin/mythmetadatalookup. That did not
>help.
>
>There is also /usr/share/mythtv/metadata directory that I moved.
>
>None of this has stopped the metadata being updated.
>
>How can I disable metdata update?
>
>Thanks for your help,
>David

Go to mythfrontend > Manage Recordings > Recording Rules. Search for
the "Default (template)" rule (Ctrl-S for search). I use "temp" to
find templates. Then E or Enter to edit that rule, go to "Post
Processing" and from that screen you can toggle the "Automatically
Look Up Metadata" option using the space bar.

However, changing the "Default (template)" rule will only change the
settings copied from the template rule to new rules created after you
make that change. It will not affect any existing rules. I can not
think of any way of changing the "Automatically Look Up Metadata"
setting for all existing rules except to use SQL directly on the
database. In the database, this setting is record.autometadata, so if
you want to set that to 0 in all your recording rules (including any
template rules), then this SQL command should do that:

update record set autometadata=0;

To make such a change safely, shut down mythbackend first. On Ubuntu
that is:

sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend

Then fully backup your database. The command to do that should be in
your /etc/cron.daily or /etc/cron.weekly file (or maybe being run via
a systemd unit). To run that command now instead of automatically
from anacron, do this:

sudo /etc/cron.daily/mythtv-database

(change daily to weekly if necessary). If you do not already have a
mythtv-database command there, then you should immediately fix that
problem so that you do have regular backups happening. Or you can
manually run a backup using:

sudo /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_backup.pl

That is the Ubuntu location - it may be elsewhere on other
distributions.

Run that with -h to get help, or just run it as is to backup to the
default backup location.

Once the backup is complete, run these commands from a command line
prompt:

sudo mysql
use mythconverg;
update record set autometadata=0;
quit

Then restart mythbackend. On Ubuntu that is:

sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend