Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 23, 2023, at 03:01, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 1:51?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 22, 2023, at 05:57, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 1:31?PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 11:56?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> >

> > make proceeded without a hitch
> > make install
> >
> > make -C bindings/python install INSTALL_ROOT=
> > make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python'
> > python3 setup.py install --skip-build --root="/"
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > File "/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py", line 4, in <module>
> > import setuptools
> > ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
> > make[1]: *** [Makefile:27: install] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python’
> > make: *** [Makefile:75: bindings/python_install] Error 2
> >
> > Anybody have ideas please …
> >
> > James
> >

> > The package python-setuptools is a prerequisite for building mythtv.
> >
> > Roland
> >
> > FYI, on the post I created to install Mythtv v34 on Archlinux via EOS at https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567,
> >
> > It works both in a VM and on real hardware. The AUR package mythtv-git takes care of all the python3 stuff without any errors.
>
> I setup a VM running SuSE, built mythtv (which I’ve done before, successfully) and got the exact same ffmpeg building errors. Ive not spelunked but I suspect that the git implimentation has ffmpeg as a sub project
> that it has changed and that we are getting different trees depending on geolocation.
>
> I’ll get my SuSE platform to work then get endeverOS to do likewise
>
> But the whole process involving the right rune is troubling
>
> James
>

> I tried to set up an OpenSuSE PC earlier this year. I could never get Mythtv to work. That's when I started using either Debian or Endeavour OS. I find I can set up a VM with just the mythbackend running and I can just choose whatever VM OS runs mythtv the best. All Distros support VM so that's easy.

Heh Heh the tables are turned :-)

I just compiled, setup and have a working frontend. Can I help? What problems did you have?

James
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 2:30?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On Nov 23, 2023, at 03:01, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 1:51?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> >

> > > On Nov 22, 2023, at 05:57, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >

> > > On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 1:31?PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >

> > > On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 11:56?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> > >

> > > make proceeded without a hitch
> > > make install
> > >
> > > make -C bindings/python install INSTALL_ROOT=
> > > make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python'
> > > python3 setup.py install --skip-build --root="/"
> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > > File "/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py", line 4, in
> <module>
> > > import setuptools
> > > ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
> > > make[1]: *** [Makefile:27: install] Error 1
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python’
> > > make: *** [Makefile:75: bindings/python_install] Error 2
> > >
> > > Anybody have ideas please …
> > >
> > > James
> > >

> > > The package python-setuptools is a prerequisite for building mythtv.
> > >
> > > Roland
> > >
> > > FYI, on the post I created to install Mythtv v34 on Archlinux via EOS
> at https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567,
> > >
> > > It works both in a VM and on real hardware. The AUR package mythtv-git
> takes care of all the python3 stuff without any errors.
> >
> > I setup a VM running SuSE, built mythtv (which I’ve done before,
> successfully) and got the exact same ffmpeg building errors. Ive not
> spelunked but I suspect that the git implimentation has ffmpeg as a sub
> project
> > that it has changed and that we are getting different trees depending on
> geolocation.
> >
> > I’ll get my SuSE platform to work then get endeverOS to do likewise
> >
> > But the whole process involving the right rune is troubling
> >
> > James
> >

> > I tried to set up an OpenSuSE PC earlier this year. I could never get
> Mythtv to work. That's when I started using either Debian or Endeavour OS.
> I find I can set up a VM with just the mythbackend running and I can just
> choose whatever VM OS runs mythtv the best. All Distros support VM so
> that's easy.
>
> Heh Heh the tables are turned :-)
>
> I just compiled, setup and have a working frontend. Can I help? What
> problems did you have?
>
> James

I can't remember the problems I had, but just playing with OpenSuSE
convinced me that I wanted no part of it as an OS that I wanted to use.

Jim A
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 23, 2023, at 04:03, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 2:30?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 23, 2023, at 03:01, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 1:51?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> >

> > > On Nov 22, 2023, at 05:57, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 1:31?PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 11:56?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> > >

> > > make proceeded without a hitch
> > > make install
> > >
> > > make -C bindings/python install INSTALL_ROOT=
> > > make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python'
> > > python3 setup.py install --skip-build --root="/"
> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > > File "/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py", line 4, in <module>
> > > import setuptools
> > > ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
> > > make[1]: *** [Makefile:27: install] Error 1
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python’
> > > make: *** [Makefile:75: bindings/python_install] Error 2
> > >
> > > Anybody have ideas please …
> > >
> > > James
> > >

> > > The package python-setuptools is a prerequisite for building mythtv.
> > >
> > > Roland
> > >
> > > FYI, on the post I created to install Mythtv v34 on Archlinux via EOS at https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567,
> > >
> > > It works both in a VM and on real hardware. The AUR package mythtv-git takes care of all the python3 stuff without any errors.
> >
> > I setup a VM running SuSE, built mythtv (which I’ve done before, successfully) and got the exact same ffmpeg building errors. Ive not spelunked but I suspect that the git implimentation has ffmpeg as a sub project
> > that it has changed and that we are getting different trees depending on geolocation.
> >
> > I’ll get my SuSE platform to work then get endeverOS to do likewise
> >
> > But the whole process involving the right rune is troubling
> >
> > James
> >

> > I tried to set up an OpenSuSE PC earlier this year. I could never get Mythtv to work. That's when I started using either Debian or Endeavour OS. I find I can set up a VM with just the mythbackend running and I can just choose whatever VM OS runs mythtv the best. All Distros support VM so that's easy.
>
> Heh Heh the tables are turned :-)
>
> I just compiled, setup and have a working frontend. Can I help? What problems did you have?
>
> James
>

> I can't remember the problems I had, but just playing with OpenSuSE convinced me that I wanted no part of it as an OS that I wanted to use.

Jim I decided to give enderverOS another whirl carefully following
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567
exactly.

So much happens across

Code: Select all
yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu
take defaults on options, except the package to edit. Select the number of "mythtv-git".
Change the source= for
"git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=fixes/33"
and change to
"git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master"

save and exit to continue build. Take defaults and enter password when required.

and I see nowhere / noway to set
git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master

So I build
mythtv-git-33.1.r23.g4112015bfe

What step am I missing?

James

Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 2:00?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On Nov 23, 2023, at 04:03, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 2:30?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> >

> > > On Nov 23, 2023, at 03:01, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> in <module>

> EOS at https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567,

> mythtv-git takes care of all the python3 stuff without any errors.
> > >
> > > I setup a VM running SuSE, built mythtv (which I’ve done before,
> successfully) and got the exact same ffmpeg building errors. Ive not
> spelunked but I suspect that the git implimentation has ffmpeg as a sub
> project
> > > that it has changed and that we are getting different trees depending
> on geolocation.
> > >
> > > I’ll get my SuSE platform to work then get endeverOS to do likewise
> > >
> > > But the whole process involving the right rune is troubling
> > >
> > > James
> > >

> > > I tried to set up an OpenSuSE PC earlier this year. I could never get
> Mythtv to work. That's when I started using either Debian or Endeavour OS.
> I find I can set up a VM with just the mythbackend running and I can just
> choose whatever VM OS runs mythtv the best. All Distros support VM so
> that's easy.
> >
> > Heh Heh the tables are turned :-)
> >
> > I just compiled, setup and have a working frontend. Can I help? What
> problems did you have?
> >
> > James
> >

> > I can't remember the problems I had, but just playing with OpenSuSE
> convinced me that I wanted no part of it as an OS that I wanted to use.
>
> Jim I decided to give enderverOS another whirl carefully following
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567
> exactly.
>
> So much happens across
>
> Code: Select all
> yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu
> take defaults on options, except the package to edit. Select the number of
> "mythtv-git".
> Change the source= for
> "git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=fixes/33"
> and change to
> "git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master"
>
> save and exit to continue build. Take defaults and enter password when
> required.
>
> and I see nowhere / noway to set
> git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master
>
> So I build
> mythtv-git-33.1.r23.g4112015bfe
>
> What step am I missing?
>
> James

yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu is just a better way of building a AUR
packages PKGBUILD file. If you view the mythtv-git PKGBUILD file you will
see 33.1 listed twice. Once in the pkgver=v33.1.r10.g0682d4d42d statement
and once in the source=(
"git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=fixes/33"
section.

The pkgver is not important, but at the first part of the build you will
see some messages about building it. That is not the case.

If you change:
"git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=fixes/33"
"git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master"

it will build Pre-34 Master.

When yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu starts it will ask questions about clean
building and view diffs, etc. Just hit enter EXCEPT on the question about
the package to edit. To that questions you enter the number listed beside
the mythtv-git package.

Then it should ask you about which editor to use. I select 'nano' and then
go through the PKGBUILD file with nano and make the changes. Then you save
and exit the editor and the build will continue.

Jim A
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
> [...]
> "git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=fixes/33"
> section.
>
> The pkgver is not important, but at the first part of the build you will see some messages about building it. That is not the case.
>
> If you change:
> "git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=fixes/33"
> "git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master"
>
> it will build Pre-34 Master.
>
> When yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu starts it will ask questions about clean building and view diffs, etc. Just hit enter EXCEPT on the question about the package to edit. To that questions you enter the number listed beside the mythtv-git package.
>
> Then it should ask you about which editor to use. I select 'nano' and then go through the PKGBUILD file with nano and make the changes. Then you save and exit the editor and the build will continue.

Thankyou. Once you learn to pick your way around the package build system is quiet nice.
Needless to say it built without a pause.
If your instructions are aimed at naive users you could add “source= near the bottom” and ignore pkgver near the top. Also /etc/makepkg.conf does not exist until you build a package. So start a build, quit then edit -j nn.
Cheers
James