I will shortly find out if mythtv plays (as in playground) with piperwire.

James

PS I really don’t like the ubuntu (debian) paradigsm of do-what-we-deem-correct ie dmesg, pico, snap, ufd, apparmor … (even if it is easy) and my favourite distro openSuSE has got it’s knickers in a knot.
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 19 November 2023 01:14:23 AM (-06:00), James Linder wrote:

> Hi all
> Jim may I ask, since you built for endeverOS
>
> The ansible instructions say
> —limit=archlinux
> but there is no role archlinux; localhost picks mythtv-pacman. That sound right?
>
> ansible chokes on the piperwire - pulseaudio conflict. I removed the pulseaudio entry. That what you did?
>
> I will shortly find out if mythtv plays (as in playground) with piperwire.
>
> James
>
> PS I really don’t like the ubuntu (debian) paradigsm of do-what-we-deem-correct ie dmesg, pico, snap, ufd, apparmor … (even if it is easy) and my favourite distro openSuSE has got it’s knickers in a knot.

Just removed Archlinux from that table in the README.md file. There was
no archlinux in hosts.yml (so localhost should be used.) Can't speak to the
pipewire issue.
--
Bill
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 19, 2023 at 2:16?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> Hi all
> Jim may I ask, since you built for endeverOS
>
> The ansible instructions say
> —limit=archlinux
> but there is no role archlinux; localhost picks mythtv-pacman. That sound
> right?
>
> ansible chokes on the piperwire - pulseaudio conflict. I removed the
> pulseaudio entry. That what you did?
>
> I will shortly find out if mythtv plays (as in playground) with piperwire.
>
> James
>
> PS I really don’t like the ubuntu (debian) paradigsm of
> do-what-we-deem-correct ie dmesg, pico, snap, ufd, apparmor … (even if it
> is easy) and my favourite distro openSuSE has got it’s knickers in a knot.

When I build on Endeavour OS I don't use ansible because I could not get it
to work. I just built a script with the dependencies from the PKGBUILD
file in AUR.

sudo pacman -S --needed python-pip exiv2 fftw jack lame libass libavc1394 \
libbluray libiec61883 libpulse libsamplerate libva libvdpau libvpx \
libxinerama libxml2 libxrandr qt5-script taglib x264 x265 \ soundtouch git
base-devel help2man libcdio libcec libmariadbclient \ libxml2 lirc
perl-dbd-mysql perl-io-socket-inet6 perl-libwww \ perl-xml-simple
perl-xml-xpath python-future python-lxml \ python-mysqlclient
python-requests python-simplejson yasm glew \ mariadb mariadb-clients
perl-dbd-mysql perl-io-socket-inet6 libzip python-pyqt5-webengine lzo yay
-S libhdhomerun yay -S perl-net-upnp yay -S python-timeout-decorator
yay -S python-requests-cache

See https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5000
Caution read all the way through as there have been edits to fix stuff

Jim A
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 19, 2023, at 19:25, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Nov 19, 2023 at 2:16?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> Hi all
> Jim may I ask, since you built for endeverOS
>
> The ansible instructions say
> —limit=archlinux
> but there is no role archlinux; localhost picks mythtv-pacman. That sound right?
>
> ansible chokes on the piperwire - pulseaudio conflict. I removed the pulseaudio entry. That what you did?
>
> I will shortly find out if mythtv plays (as in playground) with piperwire.
>
> James
>
> PS I really don’t like the ubuntu (debian) paradigsm of do-what-we-deem-correct ie dmesg, pico, snap, ufd, apparmor … (even if it is easy) and my favourite distro openSuSE has got it’s knickers in a knot.
>
> When I build on Endeavour OS I don't use ansible because I could not get it to work. I just built a script with the dependencies from the PKGBUILD file in AUR.
>
> sudo pacman -S --needed python-pip exiv2 fftw jack lame libass libavc1394 \ libbluray libiec61883 libpulse libsamplerate libva libvdpau libvpx \ libxinerama libxml2 libxrandr qt5-script taglib x264 x265 \ soundtouch git base-devel help2man libcdio libcec libmariadbclient \ libxml2 lirc perl-dbd-mysql perl-io-socket-inet6 perl-libwww \ perl-xml-simple perl-xml-xpath python-future python-lxml \ python-mysqlclient python-requests python-simplejson yasm glew \ mariadb mariadb-clients perl-dbd-mysql perl-io-socket-inet6 libzip python-pyqt5-webengine lzo yay -S libhdhomerun yay -S perl-net-upnp yay -S python-timeout-decorator
> yay -S python-requests-cache
>
> See https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5000 Caution read all the way through as there have been edits to fix stuff

Thankyou.

I built using ansible on x86.
The perl bindings were omitted as 2 perl:Packages were not downloaded
I had to apply a patch to get the FFmpeg stuff to compile. Was easy to google and do.
make ran without a hitch
make install failed with missing stuff
install mariadb was a pain

OK this is becomming a pain, lets re-try something else.

James
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 19, 2023, 5:48 PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On Nov 19, 2023, at 19:25, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Nov 19, 2023 at 2:16?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> > Hi all
> > Jim may I ask, since you built for endeverOS
> >
> > The ansible instructions say
> > —limit=archlinux
> > but there is no role archlinux; localhost picks mythtv-pacman. That
> sound right?
> >
> > ansible chokes on the piperwire - pulseaudio conflict. I removed the
> pulseaudio entry. That what you did?
> >
> > I will shortly find out if mythtv plays (as in playground) with
> piperwire.
> >
> > James
> >
> > PS I really don’t like the ubuntu (debian) paradigsm of
> do-what-we-deem-correct ie dmesg, pico, snap, ufd, apparmor … (even if it
> is easy) and my favourite distro openSuSE has got it’s knickers in a knot.
> >
> > When I build on Endeavour OS I don't use ansible because I could not get
> it to work. I just built a script with the dependencies from the PKGBUILD
> file in AUR.
> >
> > sudo pacman -S --needed python-pip exiv2 fftw jack lame libass
> libavc1394 \ libbluray libiec61883 libpulse libsamplerate libva libvdpau
> libvpx \ libxinerama libxml2 libxrandr qt5-script taglib x264 x265 \
> soundtouch git base-devel help2man libcdio libcec libmariadbclient \
> libxml2 lirc perl-dbd-mysql perl-io-socket-inet6 perl-libwww \
> perl-xml-simple perl-xml-xpath python-future python-lxml \
> python-mysqlclient python-requests python-simplejson yasm glew \ mariadb
> mariadb-clients perl-dbd-mysql perl-io-socket-inet6 libzip
> python-pyqt5-webengine lzo yay -S libhdhomerun yay -S perl-net-upnp yay -S
> python-timeout-decorator
> > yay -S python-requests-cache
> >
> > See https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5000 Caution read
> all the way through as there have been edits to fix stuff
>
> Thankyou.
>
> I built using ansible on x86.
> The perl bindings were omitted as 2 perl:Packages were not downloaded
> I had to apply a patch to get the FFmpeg stuff to compile. Was easy to
> google and do.
> make ran without a hitch
> make install failed with missing stuff
> install mariadb was a pain
>
> OK this is becomming a pain, lets re-try something else.
>
> James
> ___________________________________

I just did it this morning in an x86 VM. I did not use ansible. I did use
my script. No patches needed. I ran yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu so I could
change from v33 to Master and it worked great.

Jim A
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 20, 2023, at 06:53, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Nov 19, 2023, 5:48 PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 19, 2023, at 19:25, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Nov 19, 2023 at 2:16?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> > Hi all
> > Jim may I ask, since you built for endeverOS
> >
> > The ansible instructions say
> > —limit=archlinux
> > but there is no role archlinux; localhost picks mythtv-pacman. That sound right?
> >
> > ansible chokes on the piperwire - pulseaudio conflict. I removed the pulseaudio entry. That what you did?
> >
> > I will shortly find out if mythtv plays (as in playground) with piperwire.
> >
> > James
> >
> > PS I really don’t like the ubuntu (debian) paradigsm of do-what-we-deem-correct ie dmesg, pico, snap, ufd, apparmor … (even if it is easy) and my favourite distro openSuSE has got it’s knickers in a knot.
> >
> > When I build on Endeavour OS I don't use ansible because I could not get it to work. I just built a script with the dependencies from the PKGBUILD file in AUR.
> >
> > sudo pacman -S --needed python-pip exiv2 fftw jack lame libass libavc1394 \ libbluray libiec61883 libpulse libsamplerate libva libvdpau libvpx \ libxinerama libxml2 libxrandr qt5-script taglib x264 x265 \ soundtouch git base-devel help2man libcdio libcec libmariadbclient \ libxml2 lirc perl-dbd-mysql perl-io-socket-inet6 perl-libwww \ perl-xml-simple perl-xml-xpath python-future python-lxml \ python-mysqlclient python-requests python-simplejson yasm glew \ mariadb mariadb-clients perl-dbd-mysql perl-io-socket-inet6 libzip python-pyqt5-webengine lzo yay -S libhdhomerun yay -S perl-net-upnp yay -S python-timeout-decorator
> > yay -S python-requests-cache
> >
> > See https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5000 Caution read all the way through as there have been edits to fix stuff
>
> Thankyou.
>
> I built using ansible on x86.
> The perl bindings were omitted as 2 perl:Packages were not downloaded
> I had to apply a patch to get the FFmpeg stuff to compile. Was easy to google and do.
> make ran without a hitch
> make install failed with missing stuff
> install mariadb was a pain
>
> OK this is becomming a pain, lets re-try something else.
>
> James
> ___________________________________
>
> I just did it this morning in an x86 VM. I did not use ansible. I did use my script. No patches needed. I ran yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu so I could change from v33 to Master and it worked great.
>
> Jim A

Ta, I’ll try in a few. What did you do about mariadb (at least I now know to get ‘grazier’ what ever first.
James
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 19, 2023 at 6:06?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On Nov 20, 2023, at 06:53, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Nov 19, 2023, 5:48 PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> >

> > > On Nov 19, 2023, at 19:25, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >

> > > On Sun, Nov 19, 2023 at 2:16?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > > Jim may I ask, since you built for endeverOS
> > >
> > > The ansible instructions say
> > > —limit=archlinux
> > > but there is no role archlinux; localhost picks mythtv-pacman. That
> sound right?
> > >
> > > ansible chokes on the piperwire - pulseaudio conflict. I removed the
> pulseaudio entry. That what you did?
> > >
> > > I will shortly find out if mythtv plays (as in playground) with
> piperwire.
> > >
> > > James
> > >
> > > PS I really don’t like the ubuntu (debian) paradigsm of
> do-what-we-deem-correct ie dmesg, pico, snap, ufd, apparmor … (even if it
> is easy) and my favourite distro openSuSE has got it’s knickers in a knot.
> > >
> > > When I build on Endeavour OS I don't use ansible because I could not
> get it to work. I just built a script with the dependencies from the
> PKGBUILD file in AUR.
> > >
> > > sudo pacman -S --needed python-pip exiv2 fftw jack lame libass
> libavc1394 \ libbluray libiec61883 libpulse libsamplerate libva libvdpau
> libvpx \ libxinerama libxml2 libxrandr qt5-script taglib x264 x265 \
> soundtouch git base-devel help2man libcdio libcec libmariadbclient \
> libxml2 lirc perl-dbd-mysql perl-io-socket-inet6 perl-libwww \
> perl-xml-simple perl-xml-xpath python-future python-lxml \
> python-mysqlclient python-requests python-simplejson yasm glew \ mariadb
> mariadb-clients perl-dbd-mysql perl-io-socket-inet6 libzip
> python-pyqt5-webengine lzo yay -S libhdhomerun yay -S perl-net-upnp yay -S
> python-timeout-decorator
> > > yay -S python-requests-cache
> > >
> > > See https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5000 Caution read
> all the way through as there have been edits to fix stuff
> >
> > Thankyou.
> >
> > I built using ansible on x86.
> > The perl bindings were omitted as 2 perl:Packages were not downloaded
> > I had to apply a patch to get the FFmpeg stuff to compile. Was easy to
> google and do.
> > make ran without a hitch
> > make install failed with missing stuff
> > install mariadb was a pain
> >
> > OK this is becomming a pain, lets re-try something else.
> >
> > James
> > ___________________________________
> >
> > I just did it this morning in an x86 VM. I did not use ansible. I did
> use my script. No patches needed. I ran yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu so I
> could change from v33 to Master and it worked great.
> >
> > Jim A
> >

> Ta, I’ll try in a few. What did you do about mariadb (at least I now know
> to get ‘grazier’ what ever first.
> James

Look at the script that is in the forum article. You'll see what is done
for mariadb. It's a modified version for Arch of the
github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils script for the backend-helper. I found the
setup stuff I used for Mariadb on the Arch wiki for mariadb.

I did have some issues with v34 master setup on EOS and I'm working through
that this week. It could be operator error or a bug. If It's bug, I'll
report.

Jim A
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
> [...]
> >
> > James
> > ___________________________________
> >
> > I just did it this morning in an x86 VM. I did not use ansible. I did use my script. No patches needed. I ran yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu so I could change from v33 to Master and it worked great.
> >
> > Jim A
> >

> Ta, I’ll try in a few. What did you do about mariadb (at least I now know to get ‘grazier’ what ever first.
> James
>
> Look at the script that is in the forum article. You'll see what is done for mariadb. It's a modified version for Arch of the github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils script for the backend-helper. I found the setup stuff I used for Mariadb on the Arch wiki for mariadb.
>
> I did have some issues with v34 master setup on EOS and I'm working through that this week. It could be operator error or a bug. If It's bug, I'll report.

I’ve fallen into the trap of ‘a nice install script’ is as much work as ‘doing the work once’
by repeatedly 'doing the work once’
Yours looks nice.
Why did you elect to backup like so instead of the contributed (in scripts/database) backup/restore_pl
James
PS I asssume from the apache stuff that mythweb works
Steven (in New Zealand) probably has the same as Australia: EPG data is regulated by law, certainly ours is pretty good.

Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 19, 2023 at 6:57?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> [...]
> for mariadb. It's a modified version for Arch of the
> github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils script for the backend-helper. I found the
> setup stuff I used for Mariadb on the Arch wiki for mariadb.
> >
> > I did have some issues with v34 master setup on EOS and I'm working
> through that this week. It could be operator error or a bug. If It's bug,
> I'll report.
>
> I’ve fallen into the trap of ‘a nice install script’ is as much work as
> ‘doing the work once’
> by repeatedly 'doing the work once’
> Yours looks nice.
> Why did you elect to backup like so instead of the contributed (in
> scripts/database) backup/restore_pl
> James
> PS I asssume from the apache stuff that mythweb works
> Steven (in New Zealand) probably has the same as Australia: EPG data is
> regulated by law, certainly ours is pretty good.

What I usually post in the forum is what I use. It's a great place to
document what I do, so I can repeat months later. My memory is not what it
used to be, so I have to document. I usually steal what I do from others a
lot smarter than I am.

As to my backup script, I read from Stephen down under that you need to
optimize the database regularly as well as backup, so I modified his script
and it emails me the results of the optimize and backup everyday. I also
moved it to a systemd service/timer since that makes sense to me. I never
have figured out cron and system v init. So systemd makes a lot of sense
to me. I know I'm one of the few.

Jim A
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 07:56:08 +0800, you wrote:

>Steven (in New Zealand) probably has the same as Australia: EPG data is regulated by law, certainly ours is pretty good.

No such luck here. Our EPG is certainly a lot better than it used to
be, but there is no law or regulation requiring that. I suspect that
having Discovery buy our second free-to-air provider has actually
produced a bit of competition in that area, which is good.
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
[snip]

> > > ___________________________________
> > >
> > > I just did it this morning in an x86 VM. I did not use ansible. I did use my script. No patches needed. I ran yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu so I could change from v33 to Master and it worked great.

I did
a) install endeverOS cassini R3
b) exactly run your script

No cigar!

[jam@seagull mythtv]$ ./configure
nasm/yasm not found or too old. Use --disable-x86asm for a crippled build.

So I installled yasm

[jam@seagull mythtv]$ ./configure
Error! QtScript headers not found

If you think configure made a mistake, make sure that you are using the latest
version of MythTV from git. If the latest version fails, report the problem to the
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org mailing list or IRC #mythtv on irc.libera.chat
Include the log file "config.ep" produced by configure as this will help
solve the problem.

I don’t understand. Let me play a bit
James

Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 8:49?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> [snip]

> not get it to work. I just built a script with the dependencies from the
> PKGBUILD file in AUR.

> libavc1394 \ libbluray libiec61883 libpulse libsamplerate libva libvdpau
> libvpx \ libxinerama libxml2 libxrandr qt5-script taglib x264 x265 \
> soundtouch git base-devel help2man libcdio libcec libmariadbclient \
> libxml2 lirc perl-dbd-mysql perl-io-socket-inet6 perl-libwww \
> perl-xml-simple perl-xml-xpath python-future python-lxml \
> python-mysqlclient python-requests python-simplejson yasm glew \ mariadb
> mariadb-clients perl-dbd-mysql perl-io-socket-inet6 libzip
> python-pyqt5-webengine lzo yay -S libhdhomerun yay -S perl-net-upnp yay -S
> python-timeout-decorator

> read all the way through as there have been edits to fix stuff

> did use my script. No patches needed. I ran yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu so
> I could change from v33 to Master and it worked great.
>
> I did
> a) install endeverOS cassini R3
> b) exactly run your script
>
> No cigar!
>
> [jam@seagull mythtv]$ ./configure
> nasm/yasm not found or too old. Use --disable-x86asm for a crippled build.
>
> So I installled yasm
>
> [jam@seagull mythtv]$ ./configure
> Error! QtScript headers not found
>
> If you think configure made a mistake, make sure that you are using the
> latest
> version of MythTV from git. If the latest version fails, report the
> problem to the
> mythtv-dev@mythtv.org mailing list or IRC #mythtv on irc.libera.chat
> Include the log file "config.ep" produced by configure as this will help
> solve the problem.
>
> I don’t understand. Let me play a bit
> James

Maybe you are following the build from source instructions instead of the
build from AUR. build from source doesn't work anymore due to the PEP668
requirements about installing python3 programs. I don't understand it but
can work with the packages which is what the powers that be want us to do
anyway.

I just redid a VM this morning with EOS and mythtv v34-master using the web
app to configure and it works, I used an 8 core ryzen so it is fast enough
to even run the frontend in a VM and play live tv.

BTW, the system I run the VM on has a bridge installed and configured so I
can create VMs on the same subnet as my local network with the tuners.

So I installed EOS KDE Plasma standard,

On first boot I disabled firewalld.service. I installed mariadb per the
Archlinux wiki. I did NOT install any dependencies, that is done by yay

So I just did:
yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu

The only change was to the source statement for location of master instead
of v33
"git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master"

save exit. Then it's mostly hitting enter and typing sudo {password}

I'm going to create a forum topic outlining EOS Linux and v34 under the
Linux topic for x86_64 systems to avoid the RPI confusion.

JIm A
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 20, 2023, at 22:34, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 8:49?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> [snip]

> I did
> a) install endeverOS cassini R3
> b) exactly run your script
>
> No cigar!
>
> [jam@seagull mythtv]$ ./configure
> nasm/yasm not found or too old. Use --disable-x86asm for a crippled build.
>
> So I installled yasm
>
> [jam@seagull mythtv]$ ./configure
> Error! QtScript headers not found
>
> If you think configure made a mistake, make sure that you are using the latest
> version of MythTV from git. If the latest version fails, report the problem to the
> mythtv-dev@mythtv.org mailing list or IRC #mythtv on irc.libera.chat
> Include the log file "config.ep" produced by configure as this will help
> solve the problem.
>
> I don’t understand. Let me play a bit
> James
>
> Maybe you are following the build from source instructions instead of the build from AUR. build from source doesn't work anymore due to the PEP668 requirements about installing python3 programs. I don't understand it but can work with the packages which is what the powers that be want us to do anyway.
>
> I just redid a VM this morning with EOS and mythtv v34-master using the web app to configure and it works, I used an 8 core ryzen so it is fast enough to even run the frontend in a VM and play live tv.
>
> BTW, the system I run the VM on has a bridge installed and configured so I can create VMs on the same subnet as my local network with the tuners.
>
> So I installed EOS KDE Plasma standard,
>
> On first boot I disabled firewalld.service. I installed mariadb per the Archlinux wiki. I did NOT install any dependencies, that is done by yay
>
> So I just did:
> yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu
>
> The only change was to the source statement for location of master instead of v33
> "git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master"
>
> save exit. Then it's mostly hitting enter and typing sudo {password}
>
> I'm going to create a forum topic outlining EOS Linux and v34 under the Linux topic for x86_64 systems to avoid the RPI confusion.

I followed the earlir mail instructions.
I’ll wait and read your forum

I might have taken your forumn notes not the mail notes

James
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 20, 2023, at 22:46, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 20, 2023, at 22:34, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 8:49?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>> [snip]

>> I did
>> a) install endeverOS cassini R3
>> b) exactly run your script
>>
>> No cigar!
>>
>> [jam@seagull mythtv]$ ./configure
>> nasm/yasm not found or too old. Use --disable-x86asm for a crippled build.
>>
>> So I installled yasm
>>
>> [jam@seagull mythtv]$ ./configure
>> Error! QtScript headers not found
>>
>> If you think configure made a mistake, make sure that you are using the latest
>> version of MythTV from git. If the latest version fails, report the problem to the
>> mythtv-dev@mythtv.org mailing list or IRC #mythtv on irc.libera.chat
>> Include the log file "config.ep" produced by configure as this will help
>> solve the problem.
>>
>> I don’t understand. Let me play a bit
>> James
>>
>> Maybe you are following the build from source instructions instead of the build from AUR. build from source doesn't work anymore due to the PEP668 requirements about installing python3 programs. I don't understand it but can work with the packages which is what the powers that be want us to do anyway.
>>
>> I just redid a VM this morning with EOS and mythtv v34-master using the web app to configure and it works, I used an 8 core ryzen so it is fast enough to even run the frontend in a VM and play live tv.
>>
>> BTW, the system I run the VM on has a bridge installed and configured so I can create VMs on the same subnet as my local network with the tuners.
>>
>> So I installed EOS KDE Plasma standard,
>>
>> On first boot I disabled firewalld.service. I installed mariadb per the Archlinux wiki. I did NOT install any dependencies, that is done by yay
>>
>> So I just did:
>> yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu
>>
>> The only change was to the source statement for location of master instead of v33
>> "git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master"
>>
>> save exit. Then it's mostly hitting enter and typing sudo {password}
>>
>> I'm going to create a forum topic outlining EOS Linux and v34 under the Linux topic for x86_64 systems to avoid the RPI confusion.
>
> I followed the earlir mail instructions.
> I’ll wait and read your forum
>
> I might have taken your forumn notes not the mail notes

I did! redid and build is chugging along :-)

Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 10:03?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> [...]
> so I can create VMs on the same subnet as my local network with the tuners.
> >>
> >> So I installed EOS KDE Plasma standard,
> >>
> >> On first boot I disabled firewalld.service. I installed mariadb per
> the Archlinux wiki. I did NOT install any dependencies, that is done by yay
> >>
> >> So I just did:
> >> yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu
> >>
> >> The only change was to the source statement for location of master
> instead of v33
> >> "git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master"
> >>
> >> save exit. Then it's mostly hitting enter and typing sudo {password}
> >>
> >> I'm going to create a forum topic outlining EOS Linux and v34 under the
> Linux topic for x86_64 systems to avoid the RPI confusion.
> >
> > I followed the earlir mail instructions.
> > I’ll wait and read your forum
> >
> > I might have taken your forumn notes not the mail notes
> >

> I did! redid and build is chugging along :-)

My first draft of the instructions are not up on the forum:
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567

Jim A
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 21, 2023, at 00:51, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 10:03?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 20, 2023, at 22:46, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> >

> >> On Nov 20, 2023, at 22:34, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 8:49?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> I did
> >> a) install endeverOS cassini R3
> >> b) exactly run your script
> >>
> >> No cigar!
> >>
> >> [jam@seagull mythtv]$ ./configure
> >> nasm/yasm not found or too old. Use --disable-x86asm for a crippled build.
> >>
> >> So I installled yasm
> >>
> >> [jam@seagull mythtv]$ ./configure
> >> Error! QtScript headers not found
> >>
> >> If you think configure made a mistake, make sure that you are using the latest
> >> version of MythTV from git. If the latest version fails, report the problem to the
> >> mythtv-dev@mythtv.org mailing list or IRC #mythtv on irc.libera.chat
> >> Include the log file "config.ep" produced by configure as this will help
> >> solve the problem.
> >>
> >> I don’t understand. Let me play a bit
> >> James
> >>
> >> Maybe you are following the build from source instructions instead of the build from AUR. build from source doesn't work anymore due to the PEP668 requirements about installing python3 programs. I don't understand it but can work with the packages which is what the powers that be want us to do anyway.
> >>
> >> I just redid a VM this morning with EOS and mythtv v34-master using the web app to configure and it works, I used an 8 core ryzen so it is fast enough to even run the frontend in a VM and play live tv.
> >>
> >> BTW, the system I run the VM on has a bridge installed and configured so I can create VMs on the same subnet as my local network with the tuners.
> >>
> >> So I installed EOS KDE Plasma standard,
> >>
> >> On first boot I disabled firewalld.service. I installed mariadb per the Archlinux wiki. I did NOT install any dependencies, that is done by yay
> >>
> >> So I just did:
> >> yay -S mythtv-git --editmenu
> >>
> >> The only change was to the source statement for location of master instead of v33
> >> "git+https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv#branch=master"
> >>
> >> save exit. Then it's mostly hitting enter and typing sudo {password}
> >>
> >> I'm going to create a forum topic outlining EOS Linux and v34 under the Linux topic for x86_64 systems to avoid the RPI confusion.
> >
> > I followed the earlir mail instructions.
> > I’ll wait and read your forum
> >
> > I might have taken your forumn notes not the mail notes
> >

> I did! redid and build is chugging along :-)
> > James
>

> My first draft of the instructions are not up on the forum:
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567

Thanks for doing instructions

This is a easy fix: apply the ffmpeg patch, but why do I see it anf you not?

CC libavformat/aiff.o
CC libavformat/aiffdec.o
CC libavformat/aiffenc.o
CC libavformat/aixdec.o
./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h: Assembler messages:
./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
[...]
make[2]: *** [ffbuild/common.mak:67: libavformat/adtsenc.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/external/FFmpeg'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:32: FFmpeg-all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/external'
make: *** [Makefile:66: external] Error 2

https://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=patch;h=effadce6c756247ea8bae32dc13bb3e6f464f0eb

James

Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 5:29?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> This is a easy fix: apply the ffmpeg patch, but why do I see it anf you
> not?
>
> CC libavformat/aiff.o
> CC libavformat/aiffdec.o
> CC libavformat/aiffenc.o
> CC libavformat/aixdec.o
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h: Assembler messages:
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> make[2]: *** [ffbuild/common.mak:67: libavformat/adtsenc.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/external/FFmpeg'
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:32: FFmpeg-all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/external'
> make: *** [Makefile:66: external] Error 2
>

> https://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=patch;h=effadce6c756247ea8bae32dc13bb3e6f464f0eb
>
> James

Usually, when you see an Error 2, the build will not complete correctly.
Mine is completing and everything works. So I have no idea what is going
on. Maybe I'm drinking a better brand of Bourbon while the build is
running :-)

Jim A
P.S. I'm still editing the instructions. Some issues with which user is
running the backend during setup.
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 21, 2023, at 06:44, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 5:29?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>
> This is a easy fix: apply the ffmpeg patch, but why do I see it anf you not?
>
> CC libavformat/aiff.o
> CC libavformat/aiffdec.o
> CC libavformat/aiffenc.o
> CC libavformat/aixdec.o
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h: Assembler messages:
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> ./libavcodec/x86/mathops.h:125: Error: operand type mismatch for `shr'
> make[2]: *** [ffbuild/common.mak:67: libavformat/adtsenc.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/external/FFmpeg'
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:32: FFmpeg-all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/external'
> make: *** [Makefile:66: external] Error 2
>
> https://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=patch;h=effadce6c756247ea8bae32dc13bb3e6f464f0eb
>
> James
>
> Usually, when you see an Error 2, the build will not complete correctly. Mine is completing and everything works. So I have no idea what is going on. Maybe I'm drinking a better brand of Bourbon while the build is running :-)
>
> Jim A
> P.S. I'm still editing the instructions. Some issues with which user is running the backend during setup.

make proceeded without a hitch
make install
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/perl'
Installing /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/MythTV.pm
Installing /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/MythTV/StorageGroup.pm
Installing /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/MythTV/Program.pm
Installing /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/MythTV/Channel.pm
Installing /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/MythTV/Recording.pm
Installing /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/IO/Socket/INET/MythTV.pm
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/perl'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/perl'
make -C bindings/python install INSTALL_ROOT=
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python'
python3 setup.py install --skip-build --root="/"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py", line 4, in <module>
import setuptools
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:27: install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python’
make: *** [Makefile:75: bindings/python_install] Error 2

Anybody have ideas please …

James
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
> [...]
> Installing /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/MythTV/Channel.pm
> Installing /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/MythTV/Recording.pm
> Installing /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/IO/Socket/INET/MythTV.pm
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/perl'
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/perl'
> make -C bindings/python install INSTALL_ROOT=
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python'
> python3 setup.py install --skip-build --root="/"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py", line 4, in <module>
> import setuptools
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:27: install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python’
> make: *** [Makefile:75: bindings/python_install] Error 2

I disabled python and all installed. Since (I think) I need python for Video Detail retrival I’ll find a solution
James

Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 5:55?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> [...]
> Installing /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/MythTV/Channel.pm
> Installing /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/MythTV/Recording.pm
> Installing /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/IO/Socket/INET/MythTV.pm
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/perl'
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/perl'
> make -C bindings/python install INSTALL_ROOT=
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python'
> python3 setup.py install --skip-build --root="/"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py", line 4, in
> <module>
> import setuptools
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:27: install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python’
> make: *** [Makefile:75: bindings/python_install] Error 2

Sorry you are having issues. I just completed my latest edits of the topic
and follow-up post and tested it with a new VM. It's located at:
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567

Tomorrow I'll try to find an old PC that I can blow away and test with this
setup instead of a VM. However the VM is good enough to play video live
with mythfrontend.

JIm A
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
Jim I was trying something new, I did not mean to burdon you with all my woes, but thank you for all the hand holding.
The python ‘setuptools’ module just shifted the error, so I’ve got some splunking to do.
Without python bindings mythtv runs fine.
I’ve quite a bit to setup so I’ll spend some time with that - apache, dnsmasq, *backups*, some php stuff, logging for the solar panels, and more

James
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 11:56?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> make proceeded without a hitch
> make install
>
> make -C bindings/python install INSTALL_ROOT=
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python'
> python3 setup.py install --skip-build --root="/"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py", line 4, in
> <module>
> import setuptools
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:27: install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python’
> make: *** [Makefile:75: bindings/python_install] Error 2
>
> Anybody have ideas please …
>
> James

The package python-setuptools is a prerequisite for building mythtv.

Roland
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 1:31?PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 11:56?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> make proceeded without a hitch
>> make install
>>
>> make -C bindings/python install INSTALL_ROOT=
>> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python'
>> python3 setup.py install --skip-build --root="/"
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py", line 4, in
>> <module>
>> import setuptools
>> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
>> make[1]: *** [Makefile:27: install] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python’
>> make: *** [Makefile:75: bindings/python_install] Error 2
>>
>> Anybody have ideas please …
>>
>> James
>>

> The package python-setuptools is a prerequisite for building mythtv.
>
> Roland

FYI, on the post I created to install Mythtv v34 on Archlinux via EOS at
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567,

It works both in a VM and on real hardware. The AUR package mythtv-git
takes care of all the python3 stuff without any errors.

Jim A
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 22, 2023, at 05:57, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 1:31?PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 11:56?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

> make proceeded without a hitch
> make install
>
> make -C bindings/python install INSTALL_ROOT=
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python'
> python3 setup.py install --skip-build --root="/"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py", line 4, in <module>
> import setuptools
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:27: install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python’
> make: *** [Makefile:75: bindings/python_install] Error 2
>
> Anybody have ideas please …
>
> James
>

> The package python-setuptools is a prerequisite for building mythtv.
>
> Roland
>
> FYI, on the post I created to install Mythtv v34 on Archlinux via EOS at https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567,
>
> It works both in a VM and on real hardware. The AUR package mythtv-git takes care of all the python3 stuff without any errors.

I setup a VM running SuSE, built mythtv (which I’ve done before, successfully) and got the exact same ffmpeg building errors. Ive not spelunked but I suspect that the git implimentation has ffmpeg as a sub project
that it has changed and that we are getting different trees depending on geolocation.

I’ll get my SuSE platform to work then get endeverOS to do likewise

But the whole process involving the right rune is troubling

James
Re: build on endeverOS [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 1:51?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On Nov 22, 2023, at 05:57, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 1:31?PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 11:56?PM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> >

> > make proceeded without a hitch
> > make install
> >
> > make -C bindings/python install INSTALL_ROOT=
> > make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python'
> > python3 setup.py install --skip-build --root="/"
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > File "/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py", line 4, in
> <module>
> > import setuptools
> > ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
> > make[1]: *** [Makefile:27: install] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jam/mythtv/mythtv/bindings/python’
> > make: *** [Makefile:75: bindings/python_install] Error 2
> >
> > Anybody have ideas please …
> >
> > James
> >

> > The package python-setuptools is a prerequisite for building mythtv.
> >
> > Roland
> >
> > FYI, on the post I created to install Mythtv v34 on Archlinux via EOS
> at https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5567,
> >
> > It works both in a VM and on real hardware. The AUR package mythtv-git
> takes care of all the python3 stuff without any errors.
>
> I setup a VM running SuSE, built mythtv (which I’ve done before,
> successfully) and got the exact same ffmpeg building errors. Ive not
> spelunked but I suspect that the git implimentation has ffmpeg as a sub
> project
> that it has changed and that we are getting different trees depending on
> geolocation.
>
> I’ll get my SuSE platform to work then get endeverOS to do likewise
>
> But the whole process involving the right rune is troubling
>
> James

I tried to set up an OpenSuSE PC earlier this year. I could never get
Mythtv to work. That's when I started using either Debian or Endeavour OS.
I find I can set up a VM with just the mythbackend running and I can just
choose whatever VM OS runs mythtv the best. All Distros support VM so
that's easy.

Jim A

1 2  View All