Mailing List Archive

Fire TV and Vega
I'm a Comcast subscriber, along with Netflix and Prime Video, so I've
deployed streaming devices throughout my house to avoid renting Comcast
STBs. I started out using Roku, but lately I've been transitioning to fire
tv 4k sticks because t runs the xfinity app and I can also run Peter's
awesome leanfront. So on a single $30 stick, I get xfinity streaming app,
Netflix, prime video, and mythtv leanfront. Great!

Now I'm reading that Amazon is about to roll out this new Vega operating
system based on linux instead of Android. While this might be a technical
improvement, I'm concerned about the eco-system it will support. I'm
guessing Netflix and Prime Video will always be there, somehow, but i'm
doubtful about the xfinity streaming app and a mythtv front end.

Given this, have a picked the wrong horse in this race? Should I start
looking for a different (Android) streaming device? Ideally, I need all 4
apps listed above. How about Google TV onn? I'm unfamiliar with that and
unsure if it supports the xfinity streaming app, which is a primary
requirement. Nvidia Shield might work, but it's too expensive for multiple
TVs.

Do we think Amazon will retrofit Vega on existing devices or just deploy it
to new ones?

Appreciate your insight on this.

Troubled in VA
Re: Fire TV and Vega [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 8:43?AM Larry Kennedy <lunchtimelarry@gmail.com>
wrote:

> lately I've been transitioning to fire tv 4k sticks because t runs the
> xfinity app

A couple of years ago when I was an Xfinity TV customer, I'm sure there was
an Xfinity stream Roku app. Have they gotten rid of it now? If you don't
see it, you might need to go into the Add Channels setting screen and add
it.

--Greg
Re: Fire TV and Vega [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 3:44?PM Larry Kennedy <lunchtimelarry@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now I'm reading that Amazon is about to roll out this new Vega operating system based on linux instead of Android. While this might be a technical improvement, I'm concerned about the eco-system it will support. I'm guessing Netflix and Prime Video will always be there, somehow, but i'm doubtful about the xfinity streaming app and a mythtv front end.

In some ways it is unfortunate that they
did not go with RDK for their streamers,
which would have given them access to
over 300 existing streaming apps today.
However, RDK is not really targeted for
the tablet form factor, so it would not
have been a one solution for all without
additional work.

> Given this, have a picked the wrong horse in this race?
>
> Do we think Amazon will retrofit Vega on existing devices or just deploy it to new ones?

I consider these as being related. It seems
likely that Amazon will not quickly migrate
any of their various existing devices as step
one will be getting the ecosystem into
developers hands so they can choose to
write new versions of their apps, and that
takes time to accomplish unless Amazon
will be providing an Android API layer to
ease the transition as part of Amazon's
Vega SDK. More interesting questions
may end up being what requirements
will be placed on apps and whether Vega
will even allow side loading.

I expect you will have a fair amount of
time to choose your next streamer
solution (and the eventual device may
not even exist today).
Re: Fire TV and Vega [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 11, 2023, 11:40 AM Greg Woods <greg@gregandeva.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 8:43?AM Larry Kennedy <lunchtimelarry@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> lately I've been transitioning to fire tv 4k sticks because t runs the
>> xfinity app
>>

> A couple of years ago when I was an Xfinity TV customer, I'm sure there
> was an Xfinity stream Roku app. Have they gotten rid of it now?

No, it still works. But leanfront doesn't run on Roku.

Re: Fire TV and Vega [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 11, 2023, 11:43 AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 3:44?PM Larry Kennedy <lunchtimelarry@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Now I'm reading that Amazon is about to roll out this new Vega operating
> system based on linux instead of Android. While this might be a technical
> improvement, I'm concerned about the eco-system it will support. I'm
> guessing Netflix and Prime Video will always be there, somehow, but i'm
> doubtful about the xfinity streaming app and a mythtv front end.
>
> In some ways it is unfortunate that they
> did not go with RDK for their streamers,
> which would have given them access to
> over 300 existing streaming apps today.
> However, RDK is not really targeted for
> the tablet form factor, so it would not
> have been a one solution for all without
> additional work.
>
> > Given this, have a picked the wrong horse in this race?
> >
> > Do we think Amazon will retrofit Vega on existing devices or just deploy
> it to new ones?
>
> I consider these as being related. It seems
> likely that Amazon will not quickly migrate
> any of their various existing devices as step
> one will be getting the ecosystem into
> developers hands so they can choose to
> write new versions of their apps, and that
> takes time to accomplish unless Amazon
> will be providing an Android API layer to
> ease the transition as part of Amazon's
> Vega SDK. More interesting questions
> may end up being what requirements
> will be placed on apps and whether Vega
> will even allow side loading.
>
> I expect you will have a fair amount of
> time to choose your next streamer
> solution (and the eventual device may
> not even exist today).

Let's hope so. Since Vega apparently started ca. 2018, I was concerned it
might be imminent.