Mailing List Archive

Mythmusic issues.
I reccently upgraded from Debian 11 to Debian 12. This brought up mythtv
to version 1:33.1-dmo1 (from deb-multimedia.org). The front-end (FE) asked
me to upgrade the database, so I did.

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from settings where value='MusicDBSchemaVer';
+------------------+------+----------+
| value | data | hostname |
+------------------+------+----------+
| MusicDBSchemaVer | 1025 | NULL |
+------------------+------+----------+
1 row in set (0.001 sec

Very happy to see that importing a CD is now possible, but...

Issue 1

The mythmusic documentation (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythMusic)
says

MythTV will query the Internet freedb database for your CD information
and the Import CD screen will show, with the Artist, Album and tracks
information.

It was my understanding that (at least part of) the reason why version
1.32 didn't work for importing CDs was that this database wasn't available
any more.

Of course, no track info showed up in any field. Only "Track 01",
"Track 02", etc... Being a total newbie with Mythmusic I left it at that
and imported the CD. So far so good. Imported another one, with the same
track names: "Track 01", "Track 02", etc... Only later did I realize that
track names are used as the file names and the second CD overwrote the
first one, so now when I play what I think is the first one, the second
plays.

Is there a new automated way to get track/disc names? Presumbly that
information is not on the CDs themselves? Some software I remember
using had the names, but it might have been referring to the same public
site which is no longer available.

The manual inputting of all artist/album/genre/year/track data is
extremely laborious. I'm not looking forwared to entering hundreds of
CDs.

Proposal 1:

Make the track names (by default) the combination of "Track-xx" and the
name of the album, eg: "Track 01 - <album name>", the latter being that
which was entered in the "Album:" field. That way the track names and
file names will be unique. If the user then changes the track names to
the real track names so much the better.

Proposal 2:

Failing an existing system I don't know about to automatically fill in the
track names (and artist/album/genre/year), how about allowing the users to
share the databases of CDs they have already entered to, say cddb.mythtv.org,
and make that accessible to mythmusic to replicate the functionality lost when
the other public database went away? At first few CDs would be available, but
as more people enter more CDs the utility would increase.

Issue 2

I entered the wrong "Quality" for the next CD, and could not find a way to
delete a whole CD, so entered it again (with the correct quality) after
manually deleting the *.ogg files, which is what the above manual page says to
do. Predictably, there are now 2 track entries for each track, and I don't
know which one is the "wrong" one (linked to the deleted *.ogg files) or the
"right" one (linked to the new *.flac files). Unless there is some way to
delete the "wrong" CD, I suspect I'll have to get into the nuts and bolts of
the relevant mythconverg tables and manually edit them. Guidance about how to
do this would be welcome. Since I entered the same album name/artist/genre
and year the second time, I only see one entry for the individual CD.

I have managed to select the tracks (out of the duplicates) that play the
correct song but I can't find a way to permanently delete the non-selected
ones. Presumably this select music -> by album -> all tracks is just to
select what goes in the play list, not to remove the database entries that
point to the incorrect files.

Issue 3

Perhaps as a result of the duplicate track names or deleting some, when I play
a track it works ok until it finishes, then the whole FE freezes and "stops
responding" to the window manager. The only way is to kill it that way.
If I stop or switch to another track before the end, no freezes.

Presumably, the FE should continue with the next song/track, right? But in what
order? I have not found an obvious way to play a CD in the native order except
to disable all the other songs/CDs from the play list. I'm sure I have a lot to
learn about how mythmusic works, but these issues (especially 2 and 3) need
correcting before I can use it reliably.

Thanks for any assistance/hints.

Augustine

Re: Mythmusic issues. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Sorry for a late reply and to start this "new" thread.  I was not
subscribed to the list on October 24 when A. F. Cano <afc54 at
comcast.net> said about MythMusic:

> Issue 1

> The mythmusic documentation (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythMusic)
> says

>   MythTV will query the Internet freedb database for your CD information
>   and the Import CD screen will show, with the Artist, Album and tracks
>   information.

> It was my understanding that (at least part of) the reason why version
> 1.32 didn't work for importing CDs was that this database wasn't available
> any more.

Yes, after checking the code to confirm, I fixed the documentation to
note that this feature was dropped in 2020.

> Of course, no track info showed up in any field.  Only "Track 01",
> "Track 02", etc...  Being a total newbie with Mythmusic I left it at that
> and imported the CD.  So far so good.  Imported another one, with the same
> track names: "Track 01", "Track 02", etc...  Only later did I realize that
> track names are used as the file names and the second CD overwrote the
> first one, so now when I play what I think is the first one, the second
> plays.

If you manually supply at least Artist and Album, then you should get
unique directory per CD so the tracks won't overwrite.  I think your
problem was that there is only one Unknown/Unknown directory.  The
storage path can be configured in ripper settings of music settings.

> Is there a new automated way to get track/disc names?  Presumbly that
> information is not on the CDs themselves?

CD-Text can put the metadata on the CD itself.  The code for this is
turned off in MythMusic with a note that it is slow when the data is
missing.  I would guess some CDs fail to store this information.
Still, it would be nice to have an option to see this data if it
exists.

>  Some software I remember using had the names, but it might have
> been referring to the same public site which is no longer available.

Commercial software might pay to use Gracenote.  MythMusic might work
with gnudb.org if we attempt to restore the cddb code that left in
2020.  I wrote more about these options at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Freedb

> The manual inputting of all artist/album/genre/year/track data is
> extremely laborious.  I'm not looking forwared to entering hundreds of
> CDs.

Recommend against that.  Use desktop software to rip and tag.  I
linked a page of options to the Freedb entry on the wiki.  Then just
scan the files with MythMusic.

> Proposal 1: (unique filenames)

Not needed if you supply Artist / Album

> Proposal 2: (user contributed CD database)

Not needed since at least 2 already exist.  But we need to re-teach
MythMusic how to use the free options.  Ideally you would see query
results for MusicBrainz, gnudb, cd-text and be able to choose the best
result or manual entry.  I don't have the skill or time to do this
though.  Next year I might try restore of cd-text or gnudb code and
see if either work.

> Issue 2

> I entered the wrong "Quality" for the next CD, and could not find a way to
> delete a whole CD, so entered it again (with the correct quality) after
> manually deleting the *.ogg files, which is what the above manual page says to
> do.  Predictably, there are now 2 track entries for each track, and I don't
> know which one is the "wrong" one (linked to the deleted *.ogg files) or the
> "right" one (linked to the new *.flac files).  Unless there is some way to
> delete the "wrong" CD, I suspect I'll have to get into the nuts and bolts of
> the relevant mythconverg tables and manually edit them.  Guidance about how to
> do this would be welcome.  Since I entered the same album name/artist/genre
> and year the second time, I only see one entry for the individual CD.

Rescan should remove no-existent files.  However, I have one track
whose file was renamed to fix a typo.  The misspelled duplicate will
not go away after rescan even though the file no longer exists.  I can
remove the whole album and all tracks go away except this non-existent
file!  There is some sort of bug here.

> I have managed to select the tracks (out of the duplicates) that play the
> correct song but I can't find a way to permanently delete the non-selected
> ones.  Presumably this select music -> by album -> all tracks is just to
> select what goes in the play list, not to remove the database entries that
> point to the incorrect files.

Yes, that's right.  We might have to go edit the database for the
files that won't go away, or find and fix a bug.

-Tim Witham
Re: Mythmusic issues. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 06:53:03AM +0000, Timothy Witham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for a late reply and to start this "new" thread.? I was not
> subscribed to the list on October 24 when A. F. Cano <afc54 at
> comcast.net> said about MythMusic:

Not a problem.

> > Of course, no track info showed up in any field.? Only "Track 01",
> > "Track 02", etc...? Being a total newbie with Mythmusic I left it at that
> > and imported the CD.? So far so good.? Imported another one, with the same
> > track names: "Track 01", "Track 02", etc...? Only later did I realize that
> > track names are used as the file names and the second CD overwrote the
> > first one, so now when I play what I think is the first one, the second
> > plays.
>
> If you manually supply at least Artist and Album, then you should get
> unique directory per CD so the tracks won't overwrite.? I think your

Mmm... Maybe my mythtv directory structure is configured strangely.
All the tracks so far have gone to <mythtv root directory>/music, no
directory-per-cd structure.

> problem was that there is only one Unknown/Unknown directory.? The
> storage path can be configured in ripper settings of music settings.

I see. The "File storage location" field is blank. Presumably if I put
"ALBUM" there the directory structure you talk about will be created,
but what happens to the 10 albums I've already entered and whose tracks
are all mixed up in <mythtv root directory>music? Do they remain there
or do new album directories get created and the files moved? Is there a
manual procedure to do this?

> > Is there a new automated way to get track/disc names?? Presumbly that
> > information is not on the CDs themselves?
>
> CD-Text can put the metadata on the CD itself.? The code for this is
> turned off in MythMusic with a note that it is slow when the data is
> missing.? I would guess some CDs fail to store this information.
> Still, it would be nice to have an option to see this data if it
> exists.
>
> >? Some software I remember using had the names, but it might have
> > been referring to the same public site which is no longer available.
>
> Commercial software might pay to use Gracenote.? MythMusic might work
> with gnudb.org if we attempt to restore the cddb code that left in
> 2020.? I wrote more about these options at
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Freedb

Ah, ok. Thanks.

> > The manual inputting of all artist/album/genre/year/track data is
> > extremely laborious.? I'm not looking forwared to entering hundreds of
> > CDs.
>
> Recommend against that.? Use desktop software to rip and tag.? I
> linked a page of options to the Freedb entry on the wiki.? Then just
> scan the files with MythMusic.

Ok, I'll try that when I next import a cd.

> > Proposal 1: (unique filenames)
>
> Not needed if you supply Artist / Album

Ok, this must be related to the lack of "File storage location" in my
setup.

> > Proposal 2: (user contributed CD database)
>
> Not needed since at least 2 already exist.? But we need to re-teach

Yeah, nothing like being behind the times by decades... Shortly after I
wrote the above, I found the wikipedia page for cddb which did exactly
that. Too bad it went private/commercial.

> MythMusic how to use the free options.? Ideally you would see query
> results for MusicBrainz, gnudb, cd-text and be able to choose the best
> result or manual entry.? I don't have the skill or time to do this
> though.? Next year I might try restore of cd-text or gnudb code and
> see if either work.

That would be great! Thanks.

> > Issue 2
> >?
> > I entered the wrong "Quality" for the next CD, and could not find a way to
> > delete a whole CD, so entered it again (with the correct quality) after
> > manually deleting the *.ogg files, which is what the above manual page says to
> > do.? Predictably, there are now 2 track entries for each track, and I don't
> > know which one is the "wrong" one (linked to the deleted *.ogg files) or the
> > "right" one (linked to the new *.flac files).? Unless there is some way to
> > delete the "wrong" CD, I suspect I'll have to get into the nuts and bolts of
> > the relevant mythconverg tables and manually edit them.? Guidance about how to
> > do this would be welcome.? Since I entered the same album name/artist/genre
> > and year the second time, I only see one entry for the individual CD.
>
> Rescan should remove no-existent files.? However, I have one track

This is what I did to solve the various problems related to this issue.
From notes I took then:

The situation is getting better. Deleted all the files with format
"*Track xx*", which were from 2 separate CDs, and ran "Scan for new
music". This got rid of all the duplicate track names.
There remained an extra cntry in music_albums for one of the 2 remaining
albums, which I deleted:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> delete from music_albums where album_id = 5;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.016 sec)

After making sure that the one entry that pointed to the songs in
music_songs was the other one (album_id = 4).

Also found that one of the albums had a date of 0. I probably forgot to
set it, so:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> update music_albums set year = 2000 where album_id = 1;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.017 sec)
Rows matched: 1 Changed: 1 Warnings: 0

Then found a song that had an album_id of 5 and now was showing as from an
unknown CD. Had to change that to 4:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> update music_songs set album_id = 4 where song_id = 36;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.022 sec)
Rows matched: 1 Changed: 1 Warnings: 0

The year is still 0 in mythmusic. I need to find where that is set.
Set that from the mythmusic interface by editing each song (I think).

> whose file was renamed to fix a typo.? The misspelled duplicate will
> not go away after rescan even though the file no longer exists.? I can
> remove the whole album and all tracks go away except this non-existent
> file!? There is some sort of bug here.
>
> > I have managed to select the tracks (out of the duplicates) that play the
> > correct song but I can't find a way to permanently delete the non-selected
> > ones.? Presumably this select music -> by album -> all tracks is just to
> > select what goes in the play list, not to remove the database entries that
> > point to the incorrect files.
>
> Yes, that's right.? We might have to go edit the database for the
> files that won't go away, or find and fix a bug.
>
> -Tim Witham

Thanks for replying. As of now, I did fix all the issues discussed
above. I will try importing with vlc in the future and see how that
goes.

Augustine
Re: Mythmusic issues. [ In reply to ]
On Monday, December 11, 2023 at 03:46:26 PM CST, A. F. Cano <afc54@comcast.net> wrote:

> I see.  The "File storage location" field is blank.  Presumably if I put
> "ALBUM" there the directory structure you talk about will be created,

Great point.  I don't recall ever changing this and I have
ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACK-TITLE which matches the screenshot at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/CD_Ripper_Settings so I assume this should
be the default.  I'm not sure how yours got blanked.  I recommend
using this value.

> but what happens to the 10 albums I've already entered and whose tracks
> are all mixed up in <mythtv root directory>music?  Do they remain there
> or do new album directories get created and the files moved?  Is there a
> manual procedure to do this?

Current files will remain unchanged and new imports will get the new
paths.  You can either manually mkdir and rename the wrong files or
use a tool like puddletag to automate this.

> Yeah, nothing like being behind the times by decades...  Shortly after I
> wrote the above, I found the wikipedia page for cddb which did exactly
> that.  Too bad it went private/commercial.

Agree.  Wow, cddb is 3 decades old!  Per

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_online_music_databases

discogs might be the most complete source these days, but I assume the
format is different.

> Thanks for replying.  As of now, I did fix all the issues discussed
> above.  I will try importing with vlc in the future and see how that
> goes.

Thanks for the database examples.  I'm not sure which ripper to
recommend on Linux.  I like puddletag for cleaning tags because you
can see everything in a huge sortable table to easily spot mistakes.

-Tim
Re: Mythmusic issues. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2023-12-12 at 04:36 +0000, Timothy Witham wrote:

> On Monday, December 11, 2023 at 03:46:26 PM CST, A. F. Cano
> <afc54@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for replying.  As of now, I did fix all the issues discussed
> > above.  I will try importing with vlc in the future and see how
> > that
> > goes.
>
> Thanks for the database examples.  I'm not sure which ripper to
> recommend on Linux.  I like puddletag for cleaning tags because you
> can see everything in a huge sortable table to easily spot mistakes.

I mainly use 'sound-juicer' to rip cds. I occasionally use other
programs like 'k3b' and 'grip'.

I love 'picard' for organizing files and retrieving metadata. It takes
a minute or two to get is set up the way you want, but then its great.
It uses the MusicBrainz database, which is crowd sourced.

David

Re: Mythmusic issues. [ In reply to ]
On 12/12/2023 05:49, David Hampton via mythtv-users wrote:

> On Tue, 2023-12-12 at 04:36 +0000, Timothy Witham wrote:
>> On Monday, December 11, 2023 at 03:46:26 PM CST, A. F. Cano
>> <afc54@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for replying.  As of now, I did fix all the issues discussed
>>> above.  I will try importing with vlc in the future and see how
>>> that
>>> goes.
>> Thanks for the database examples.  I'm not sure which ripper to
>> recommend on Linux.  I like puddletag for cleaning tags because you
>> can see everything in a huge sortable table to easily spot mistakes.
> I mainly use 'sound-juicer' to rip cds. I occasionally use other
> programs like 'k3b' and 'grip'.
>
> I love 'picard' for organizing files and retrieving metadata. It takes
> a minute or two to get is set up the way you want, but then its great.
> It uses the MusicBrainz database, which is crowd sourced.
>
> David

Many moons ago I started to add support for MusicBrainz to MythMusic but
never completed it.

There is already a python metadata helper script at
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/programs/scripts/metadata/Music/mbutils.py
that can be used to lookup some of the data from MB including IIRC
looking up the discid.

The copy of the python MB bindings included with Myth are very old now
and could do with updating which should be trivial to do. I seem to
remember the problem with integrating the python script into MythMusic
is it's an external script so the plugin would have to run an external
process to do the lookup which I thought was rather messy. Somewhere I
think I have a patch that used the c++ bindings to MB to do the lookup
so everything could be done in the MythMusic plugin without having to
call external scripts. Without looking at the code I'm not sure how far
I got with it but if anyone is interested I could see if I can find the
stash.

Paul H.

Re: Mythmusic issues. [ In reply to ]
Am Dienstag, 12. Dezember 2023, 14:38:59 CET schrieb Paul Harrison:
> On 12/12/2023 05:49, David Hampton via mythtv-users wrote:
> > On Tue, 2023-12-12 at 04:36 +0000, Timothy Witham wrote:

> >> Thanks for the database examples. I'm not sure which ripper to
> >> recommend on Linux. I like puddletag for cleaning tags because you
> >> can see everything in a huge sortable table to easily spot mistakes.
> >
> > I mainly use 'sound-juicer' to rip cds. I occasionally use other
> > programs like 'k3b' and 'grip'.
> >
> > I love 'picard' for organizing files and retrieving metadata. It takes
> > a minute or two to get is set up the way you want, but then its great.
> > It uses the MusicBrainz database, which is crowd sourced.
> >
> > David
>
> Many moons ago I started to add support for MusicBrainz to MythMusic but
> never completed it.
>

> There is already a python metadata helper script at
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/programs/scripts/metadat
> a/Music/mbutils.py that can be used to lookup some of the data from MB
> including IIRC looking up the discid.
>
> The copy of the python MB bindings included with Myth are very old now
> and could do with updating which should be trivial to do. I seem to
> remember the problem with integrating the python script into MythMusic
> is it's an external script so the plugin would have to run an external
> process to do the lookup which I thought was rather messy. Somewhere I
> think I have a patch that used the c++ bindings to MB to do the lookup
> so everything could be done in the MythMusic plugin without having to
> call external scripts. Without looking at the code I'm not sure how far
> I got with it but if anyone is interested I could see if I can find the
> stash.
>

> Paul H.

Hi,

I've got a CD set as a christmas present and was motivated to look into the
issue. I managed to put something working together using the musicbrainz
C/C++ libs. The result can be seen in this PR: https://github.com/MythTV/
mythtv/pull/834. It pulls metadata and coverart for an audio CD and displays
that when playing the CD with the CD autoplay feature of MythMusic.

Ciao Jan

Re: Mythmusic issues. [ In reply to ]
> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Jan Hambrecht via mythtv-users <mythtv-users@mythtv.org> w dniu 04.01.2024, o godz. 12:19:
>>
>> Many moons ago I started to add support for MusicBrainz to MythMusic but
>> never completed it.
>>

>> There is already a python metadata helper script at
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/programs/scripts/metadat
>> a/Music/mbutils.py that can be used to lookup some of the data from MB
>> including IIRC looking up the discid.
>>
>> The copy of the python MB bindings included with Myth are very old now
>> and could do with updating which should be trivial to do. I seem to
>> remember the problem with integrating the python script into MythMusic
>> is it's an external script so the plugin would have to run an external
>> process to do the lookup which I thought was rather messy. Somewhere I
>> think I have a patch that used the c++ bindings to MB to do the lookup
>> so everything could be done in the MythMusic plugin without having to
>> call external scripts. Without looking at the code I'm not sure how far
>> I got with it but if anyone is interested I could see if I can find the
>> stash.
>>

>> Paul H.
>
> Hi,
>
> I've got a CD set as a christmas present and was motivated to look into the
> issue. I managed to put something working together using the musicbrainz
> C/C++ libs. The result can be seen in this PR: https://github.com/MythTV/
> mythtv/pull/834. It pulls metadata and coverart for an audio CD and displays
> that when playing the CD with the CD autoplay feature of MythMusic.
>
> Ciao Jan

Jan,

This is fantastic work.

I added req. libs, recompile mythmusic and it works PERFECTLY!

Grat work :-)

btw: as we have now musicbrainz nicely integrated with mythmusic - can it be also used to improve lyrics handling in mythmusic?

Re: Mythmusic issues. [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, 4. Januar 2024, 20:43:36 CET schrieben Sie:
> > Wiadomo?? napisana przez Jan Hambrecht via mythtv-users <mythtv-
users@mythtv.org> w dniu 04.01.2024, o godz. 12:19:
> >> Many moons ago I started to add support for MusicBrainz to MythMusic but
> >> never completed it.
> >>

> >> There is already a python metadata helper script at
> >> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/programs/scripts/meta
> >> dat a/Music/mbutils.py that can be used to lookup some of the data from
> >> MB including IIRC looking up the discid.
> >>
> >> The copy of the python MB bindings included with Myth are very old now
> >> and could do with updating which should be trivial to do. I seem to
> >> remember the problem with integrating the python script into MythMusic
> >> is it's an external script so the plugin would have to run an external
> >> process to do the lookup which I thought was rather messy. Somewhere I
> >> think I have a patch that used the c++ bindings to MB to do the lookup
> >> so everything could be done in the MythMusic plugin without having to
> >> call external scripts. Without looking at the code I'm not sure how far
> >> I got with it but if anyone is interested I could see if I can find the
> >> stash.
> >>

> >> Paul H.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a CD set as a christmas present and was motivated to look into
> > the
> > issue. I managed to put something working together using the musicbrainz
> > C/C++ libs. The result can be seen in this PR: https://github.com/MythTV/
> > mythtv/pull/834. It pulls metadata and coverart for an audio CD and
> > displays that when playing the CD with the CD autoplay feature of
> > MythMusic.
> >
> > Ciao Jan
>
> Jan,
>
> This is fantastic work.
>
> I added req. libs, recompile mythmusic and it works PERFECTLY!
>
> Grat work :-)
>
> btw: as we have now musicbrainz nicely integrated with mythmusic - can it be
> also used to improve lyrics handling in mythmusic?

Thanks Piotr!

Are you sure that musicbrainz does also have lyrics? I am no aware of that and
the API does not seem to include any support for that.

Ciao Jan

Re: Mythmusic issues. [ In reply to ]
On 1/4/24 15:54, Jan Hambrecht via mythtv-users wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've got a CD set as a christmas present and was motivated to look into
>>> the
>>> issue. I managed to put something working together using the musicbrainz
>>> C/C++ libs. The result can be seen in this PR:https://github.com/MythTV/
>>> mythtv/pull/834. It pulls metadata and coverart for an audio CD and
>>> displays that when playing the CD with the CD autoplay feature of
>>> MythMusic.
>>>
>>> Ciao Jan

Wow, thank you!  Does this get the metadata for CD import also? (I
haven't tried this yet)

>> Jan,
>>
>> This is fantastic work.
>>
>> I added req. libs, recompile mythmusic and it works PERFECTLY!
>>
>> Grat work :-)
>>
>> btw: as we have now musicbrainz nicely integrated with mythmusic - can it be
>> also used to improve lyrics handling in mythmusic?
> Thanks Piotr!
>
> Are you sure that musicbrainz does also have lyrics? I am no aware of that and
> the API does not seem to include any support for that.
>
> Ciao Jan

The lyrics come from python grabbers, one for each source that might
have lyrics.  Genius is tried early and finds a string like "9
Contributors" which stops the search.  Lately I get good results only
from lyrics.com by manually selecting it from the list.

Probably most of the grabbers need updates due to source site changes.
We could change the order to list more successful grabbers first, but
even this changes over time as sites break the grabbers.

-Tim
Re: Mythmusic issues. [ In reply to ]
Am Freitag, 5. Januar 2024, 08:42:55 CET schrieb Timothy Witham:

> Wow, thank you! Does this get the metadata for CD import also? (I
> haven't tried this yet)

I think ti should work for importing also, as the same CD decoder class is
used for getting metadata from the CD (have not tried it, just looking at the
code). Coverart is also queried but not used when ripping yet.

> >> Jan,
> >>
> >> This is fantastic work.
> >>
> >> I added req. libs, recompile mythmusic and it works PERFECTLY!
> >>
> >> Grat work :-)
> >>
> >> btw: as we have now musicbrainz nicely integrated with mythmusic - can it
> >> be also used to improve lyrics handling in mythmusic?
> >
> > Thanks Piotr!
> >
> > Are you sure that musicbrainz does also have lyrics? I am no aware of that
> > and the API does not seem to include any support for that.
> >
> > Ciao Jan
>
> The lyrics come from python grabbers, one for each source that might
> have lyrics. Genius is tried early and finds a string like "9
> Contributors" which stops the search. Lately I get good results only
> from lyrics.com by manually selecting it from the list.

Yeah I noticed the Genius issue too.

> Probably most of the grabbers need updates due to source site changes.
> We could change the order to list more successful grabbers first, but
> even this changes over time as sites break the grabbers.

Is the order configrable somewhere or is it hard-coded?

Ciao Jan

Re: Mythmusic issues. [ In reply to ]
On 05/01/2024 10:30, Jan Hambrecht via mythtv-users wrote:

> Am Freitag, 5. Januar 2024, 08:42:55 CET schrieb Timothy Witham:
>> On 1/4/24 15:54, Jan Hambrecht via mythtv-users wrote:
>> The lyrics come from python grabbers, one for each source that might
>> have lyrics. Genius is tried early and finds a string like "9
>> Contributors" which stops the search. Lately I get good results only
>> from lyrics.com by manually selecting it from the list.
> Yeah I noticed the Genius issue too.
>
>> Probably most of the grabbers need updates due to source site changes.
>> We could change the order to list more successful grabbers first, but
>> even this changes over time as sites break the grabbers.
> Is the order configrable somewhere or is it hard-coded?
>
> Ciao Jan

The order is determined by the __priority__  number at the top of each
grabber eg.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/programs/scripts/metadata/Music/lyrics/alsong.py#L19

The grabbers where originally modified versions of the KODI lyrics
grabber from here :-

https://gitlab.com/ronie/script.cu.lrclyrics/

More specifically the grabbers from here :-

https://gitlab.com/ronie/script.cu.lrclyrics/-/tree/master/lib/culrcscrapers

It just needs someone with the time and enthusiasm to re-sync ours with
theirs. Shouldn't be a hard job.

Paul H.
Re: Mythmusic issues. [ In reply to ]
On 1/5/24 06:15, Paul Harrison wrote:

> The grabbers where originally modified versions of the KODI lyrics
> grabber from here :-
>
> https://gitlab.com/ronie/script.cu.lrclyrics/
>

> More specifically the grabbers from here :-
>
> https://gitlab.com/ronie/script.cu.lrclyrics/-/tree/master/lib/culrcscrapers
>
> It just needs someone with the time and enthusiasm to re-sync ours
> with theirs. Shouldn't be a hard job

Paul,

Thank you for the pointer to the source!  This works for me:

    https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/845

All 12 CU LRC grabbers now work in MythTV too.  The common CLI code
moved to common/main.py dropping each grabber definition to only 20 lines.

I dropped documentation and languages from the imports but some code
files remain that are not used by MythTV.  Is it better to leave unused
imported code in place or remove it?

-Tim