Mailing List Archive

Re: FE won't come out of sleep once every 24 hours
Hi Stephen and Mike!

>> /etc/X11/xrdp/xorg.conf
> This one is likely used for xrdp (the X RDP protocol server). I doubt
> it is used for the normal X config, just for the config used for
> remote access. However, I have never used RDP, so I could be wrong.
>
> In the absence of an existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, if you need
> one, just create it and add the lines you want.

OK. I think what I will do is remove xrdp and create an xorg.conf with
the information you gave me yesterday. Then see what happens this afternoon.

As for Remmina and other remote access utiltites, I’m sort of trying to
keep everything uniform: use one utility to access the Raspberry Pi’s as
well as the Ubuntu computers. Will have to look into x2go again. As far
as Remmina goes, so far using the VNC plugin to the RPi’s and the RDP
plugin to the Ubuntu units works. The only problem is if the remote unit
has the MythTV overlay up I see black screen on my local machine. (That
‘black screen’ not to be confused with the actual black screen my
inquiry is about.)

Thanks!

Barry
Re: FE won't come out of sleep once every 24 hours [ In reply to ]
Update:

Purged xrdp – now Remmina works (Nothing against xrdp, just easier for
me to be able to use one utility to ‘see’ the remote Raspberry Pi and
Ubuntu computers.)

Created /etc/X11/xorg.conf (Stephen’s suggestion yesterday [22 Oct 2023
16:13:51])

xset s off (Between these two I hope the computer never goes black!)

Reboot (Fresh start, plus make sure didn’t screw up!)

And now we wait! ...It’s a little after 10 in the morning my time and
the issue doesn’t appear until some time in the afternoon. Rebooting
doesn’t seem to affect the black screen issue: I’ve had a cron job
rebooting the computer Sunday at 0400 for some time; yesterday (Sunday)
it still was black in the afternoon. Hopefully we’ve fixed that! Will
post the outcome.

Barry
Re: FE won't come out of sleep once every 24 hours [ In reply to ]
Hi Folks!

Bad news: computer required a reboot (REISUB done at 17:26 – had done
the changes and rebooted around 10 this morning). I’m thinking the next
step will be to correct the driver: for some reason the system is using
Nouveau with a NVIDIA GP108 [GeForce GT 1030] card – just update at
(Ubuntu> Settings > About > Software Updates > Additional Drivers? And
whatever steps in MythTV itself: ...looks like Setup > Video > Playback
? Current Video Playback to one of the VDPAU options ?

(I’d rather ask before doing something to make sure it’s the right thing
to do at the point.)

Thanks again!

Barry
Re: FE won't come out of sleep once every 24 hours [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 18:07:29 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Folks!
>

>Bad news: computer required a reboot (REISUB done at 17:26 ? had done
>the changes and rebooted around 10 this morning). I?m thinking the next
>step will be to correct the driver: for some reason the system is using
>Nouveau with a NVIDIA GP108 [GeForce GT 1030] card ? just update at
>(Ubuntu> Settings > About > Software Updates > Additional Drivers? And
>whatever steps in MythTV itself: ...looks like Setup > Video > Playback
>? Current Video Playback to one of the VDPAU options ?
>

>(I?d rather ask before doing something to make sure it?s the right thing
>to do at the point.)
>
>Thanks again!
>
>Barry

The way I normally install the Nvidia drivers is to use "sudo
ubuntu-drivers" from the command line. Use "sudo ubuntu-drivers list"
to see all the versions available. The latest is 545 - that is very
new, so best avoided. I am currently on 530/535 - do not install them
as they are buggy. The next previous that I can see is 525, so try
them if they are listed, or 470. They both worked well. So that
would be "sudo ubuntu-drivers install nvidia:525".

Then you will need to change the mythfrontend setup to use the VDPAU
or NVDEC options. VDPAU is still probably best for up to 1080p, but
NVDEC is better (necessary for some formats) if you are playing 4K
files or recordings.
Re: FE won't come out of sleep once every 24 hours [ In reply to ]
>> Bad news: computer required a reboot (REISUB done at 17:26 ? had done
>> the changes and rebooted around 10 this morning). I?m thinking the next
>> step will be to correct the driver: for some reason the system is using
>> Nouveau with a NVIDIA GP108 [GeForce GT 1030] card ? just update at
>> (Ubuntu> Settings > About > Software Updates > Additional Drivers? And
>> whatever steps in MythTV itself: ...looks like Setup > Video > Playback
>> ? Current Video Playback to one of the VDPAU options ?
> The way I normally install the Nvidia drivers is to use "sudo
> ubuntu-drivers" from the command line. Use "sudo ubuntu-drivers list"
> to see all the versions available. The latest is 545 - that is very
> new, so best avoided. I am currently on 530/535 - do not install them
> as they are buggy. The next previous that I can see is 525, so try
> them if they are listed, or 470. They both worked well. So that
> would be "sudo ubuntu-drivers install nvidia:525".
>
> Then you will need to change the mythfrontend setup to use the VDPAU
> or NVDEC options. VDPAU is still probably best for up to 1080p, but
> NVDEC is better (necessary for some formats) if you are playing 4K
> files or recordings.

Thanks Stephen!

And thanks for the details on why not to choose certain drivers. Have
525 listed so will install that one later: currently minor crisis
needing my attention periodically. Hopefully the new driver solves the
afternoon black screen issue.

Barry
Re: FE won't come out of sleep once every 24 hours [ In reply to ]
Hi Stephen!

The ‘minor crisis’ resolved.

Last night the computer did NOT need REISUB due to a black screen! Horray!!

This morning when going to install the Nvidia driver WAS greeted by a
“No HDMI input detected” so essentially the black screen. (I need the
Raspberry Pi ‘Keep Alive’ setting!) REISUB

Installed the Nvidia 525 driver. Discovered later should have rebooted
after installation: at the time half-knew I needed to.

Set MythTV to use the VDPAU HQ option.

So I’m now using the correct driver (thanks!) and guess now wait to see
what happens with the screen.

Thanks again!

Barry
Re: FE won't come out of sleep once every 24 hours [ In reply to ]
Hi Stephen!

Looks like your genius has solved my problem! Installing the Nvidia 525
driver along with using the VDPAU Max setting in MythTV seems to work:
system has been behaving for about 58 hours (2½ days) – yea!! Plus the
picture seems sharper/more detailed – bonus yea!!

Thanks again!

Barry