Mailing List Archive

Leanfront use occasionally reboots FIre TV Stick 4k; stick versions...
Hi folks,

I've been playing with Leanfront on my first-generation Fire TV Stick 4k
device, and overall the experience has been nice. However, twice now
while watching a recording I've had the TV Stick spontaneously reboot
itself.

Looking at
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201640900>,
I see that there are four different Fire TV Stick 4k models:
- 4k 1st generation
- 4k 2nd generation
- 4k Max 1st generation
- 4k Max 2nd generation

My wonders at this point are:

- Is there any way to pinpoint the actual cause of the occasional
reboot? Coming from the full-blown linux land, I see that I can't even
run dmesg as the user that you get via ADB without rooting the device.
My hunch is that it's a video/GPU driver/decoder bug, or I guess an OOM
issue.

- My initial experience with the full-blown MythTV frontend for Android
was very disappointing. But I'm curious if part of that is due to my
Fire TV Stick 4k being the "worst" of the entire lineup. For anybody
who has upgraded from a 1st-generation 4k stick to one of the newer
models, have you noticed any improvement with respect to MythTV?
Specifically, a more responsive UI, faster load times, or most
importantly better video quality when using the full MythTV frontend?

While the *actual* cause of the occasional reboot is unknown to me at
this point, I'm curious if upgrading to a newer stick might help out.
Whether it be because of an updated GPU, more RAM, or simply being a
device that has seen less wear and tear.

And actually, now that I've typed all of the above, I now realize that
the reboot could be as simple as my USB power being insufficient to run
the device during periods of heavy load. While I test another adapter,
I still feel like I'd like some input to the above.

Thoughts?

Thanks
-WD
Re: Leanfront use occasionally reboots FIre TV Stick 4k; stick versions... [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/23 09:32, Will Dormann wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been playing with Leanfront on my first-generation Fire TV Stick
> 4k device, and overall the experience has been nice. However, twice
> now while watching a recording I've had the TV Stick spontaneously
> reboot itself.
>
> Looking at
> <https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201640900>,
> I see that there are four different Fire TV Stick 4k models:
> - 4k 1st generation
> - 4k 2nd generation
> - 4k Max 1st generation
> - 4k Max 2nd generation
>
> My wonders at this point are:
>
> - Is there any way to pinpoint the actual cause of the occasional
> reboot? Coming from the full-blown linux land, I see that I can't even
> run dmesg as the user that you get via ADB without rooting the device.
> My hunch is that it's a video/GPU driver/decoder bug, or I guess an
> OOM issue.

adb logcat give the android log. However running it after a reboot will
not give anything that happened before the reboot.
> - My initial experience with the full-blown MythTV frontend for
> Android was very disappointing.  But I'm curious if part of that is
> due to my Fire TV Stick 4k being the "worst" of the entire lineup.
> For anybody who has upgraded from a 1st-generation 4k stick to one of
> the newer models, have you noticed any improvement with respect to
> MythTV? Specifically, a more responsive UI, faster load times, or most
> importantly better video quality when using the full MythTV frontend?
>

> While the *actual* cause of the occasional reboot is unknown to me at
> this point, I'm curious if upgrading to a newer stick might help out.
> Whether it be because of an updated GPU, more RAM, or simply being a
> device that has seen less wear and tear.
>
> And actually, now that I've typed all of the above, I now realize that
> the reboot could be as simple as my USB power being insufficient to
> run the device during periods of heavy load. While I test another
> adapter, I still feel like I'd like some input to the above.
>
> Thoughts?

I have never had this happen. It is likely either a power supply problem
or a problem with the fire stick itself.

If you upgrade to a fire stick 4k you will see faster responses to the
remote, and of course you will be able to run at 4k resolution. I have
used fire stick 4K, original version, none of the other 4K versions.

Re: Leanfront use occasionally reboots FIre TV Stick 4k; stick versions... [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/23 9:32 AM, Will Dormann wrote:
> And actually, now that I've typed all of the above, I now realize that
> the reboot could be as simple as my USB power being insufficient to run
> the device during periods of heavy load.  While I test another adapter,
> I still feel like I'd like some input to the above.

FWIW, I realized that the USB adapter that my fire stick was running on
was a counterfeit Apple adapter. And as such, it's fair to assume that
the power output isn't actually the 1 amp that is claimed and/or it's
the dirtiest output possible while still being vaguely functional.

Having said that, since switching to a legitimate USB power adapter I
haven't yet seen an unexpected reboot.

Which leaves my original wonder:
Has anybody ever upgraded/switched from a 1st-gen Fire Stick 4K to any
of the 3 newer models, and has experienced a noticeable improvement in
anything (what)?

Thanks
-WD