Mailing List Archive

Queued Job Stuck – Again
Hi Folks!

I have a different queued job stuck. Tried the instructions given
previous (see Subject of “Queued Job Stuck” ~Aug. 17^th ). The problem
this time is the PID number is incrementing!

barry@BE4:~$ date && ps -ef | grep mythcommflag

Fri 01 Sep 2023 11:44:28 AM CDT

barry 1024881 1024862 0 11:44 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto mythcommflag

barry@BE4:~$ date && ps -ef | grep mythcommflag

Fri 01 Sep 2023 11:44:28 AM CDT

barry 1024884 1024862 0 11:44 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto mythcommflag

Got that by repeating the command in less than a second and the PID
incremented by three (sometimes only by two).

So the problem is I can’t enter a PID to kill because what I see is no
longer valid. Noted the PPID is constant – tempting! <g>

There are shows currently recording – is that the reason?

TIA! Barry
Re: Queued Job Stuck ? Again [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 11:54:10 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Folks!
>

>I have a different queued job stuck. Tried the instructions given
>previous (see Subject of ?Queued Job Stuck? ~Aug. 17^th ). The problem
>this time is the PID number is incrementing!
>

>barry@BE4:~$ date && ps -ef | grep mythcommflag
>
>Fri 01 Sep 2023 11:44:28 AM CDT
>
>barry 1024881 1024862 0 11:44 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto mythcommflag
>
>barry@BE4:~$ date && ps -ef | grep mythcommflag
>
>Fri 01 Sep 2023 11:44:28 AM CDT
>
>barry 1024884 1024862 0 11:44 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto mythcommflag
>

>Got that by repeating the command in less than a second and the PID
>incremented by three (sometimes only by two).
>

>So the problem is I can?t enter a PID to kill because what I see is no
>longer valid. Noted the PPID is constant ? tempting! <g>
>

>There are shows currently recording ? is that the reason?
>

>TIA! Barry

You are only seeing the grep command that is looking for mythcommflag
jobs. There are no actual mythcommflag jobs shown. The text
"mythcommflag" is matching to the parameter "mythcommflg" on the grep
command, so it is matching to itself. That grep command will have
completed before you get the command prompt back again. The PID is a
newly assigned PID every time you run the grep command, so it will be
one more than the previous PID, and sometimes more than that if other
programs have run in the background and been assigned a PID before you
run the grep again. The PPID is the parent PID - so if you kill that,
you will kill the terminal session you are running the commands from.
Re: Queued Job Stuck – Again [ In reply to ]
On 01/09/2023 17:54, Barry Martin wrote:

> Hi Folks!
>

> I have a different queued job stuck. Tried the instructions given previous (see Subject of “Queued
> Job Stuck” ~Aug. 17^th ). The problem this time is the PID number is incrementing!
>

> barry@BE4:~$ date && ps -ef | grep mythcommflag
>
> Fri 01 Sep 2023 11:44:28 AM CDT
>
> barry 1024881 1024862 0 11:44 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto mythcommflag
>
> barry@BE4:~$ date && ps -ef | grep mythcommflag
>
> Fri 01 Sep 2023 11:44:28 AM CDT
>
> barry 1024884 1024862 0 11:44 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto mythcommflag
>

> Got that by repeating the command in less than a second and the PID incremented by three (sometimes
> only by two).
>

> So the problem is I can’t enter a PID to kill because what I see is no longer valid. Noted the PPID
> is constant – tempting! <g>
>

> There are shows currently recording – is that the reason?

Try killall mythcommflag

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Queued Job Stuck – Again [ In reply to ]
Stephen and Mike:

Thanks for the responses. I kind of figured trying to kill off the PPID
would not be right thing to do; actually I was thinking it would kill
off MythTV as to ‘just’ the Terminal session.

Didn’t have a chance to try the killall suggestion: checked and the job
had vanished since I tried this morning. It had been queued a few days;
this morning I did cancel and requeue – maybe just needed to wait three
or four hours!

Anyway, thanks for the answers.

Barry
Re: Queued Job Stuck – Again [ In reply to ]
Barry,

Try

ps -ef | grep [m]ythcommflag

or

ps -C mythcommflag

The first grep regexp won't match itself, which yours was doing. The
second avoids using grep.

Leo