any channels. The message on the Ceton status for the tuner is "No
Entitlement", even for basic broadcast channels.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I have no appetite for getting on an endless roundabout with Comcast
trying to get it working again.

I did change my Comcast email address. I wonder if that is why the cable
card no longer works.

Peter

Re: Comcast Cable Card: Suddenly "No Entitlement" [ In reply to ]
Hoi Peter,

Friday, September 1, 2023, 2:14:57 AM, you wrote:

> Today I found that the cable card in my Infinitv can no longer receive
> any channels. The message on the Ceton status for the tuner is "No
> Entitlement", even for basic broadcast channels.

> Has anybody else experienced this?

> I have no appetite for getting on an endless roundabout with Comcast
> trying to get it working again.

> I did change my Comcast email address. I wonder if that is why the cable
> card no longer works.

> Peter

The more I read here about big compagnies abusing their power and
ignoring their paying customers and the total lack of customer
protection, the happier I am in Europe. Especially with the new
European social media act!

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: Comcast Cable Card: Suddenly "No Entitlement" [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 12:16?AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> Today I found that the cable card in my Infinitv can no longer receive
> any channels. The message on the Ceton status for the tuner is "No
> Entitlement", even for basic broadcast channels.

> Has anybody else experienced this?

I have not, but I am both in a different region,
and using different equipment (and in Comcastic
land, any/all of those things can matter a lot).

---

By any chance did you recently (up to around a
month ago) change anything in regards to your
account plan (new plan/promo/services?)

No entitlement is what it says, and means that
the CableCARD has not recently received a
proper set of authorizations (CableCARDs
have a grace period of not receiving those
signals, which may be as long as 30 days).

Sometimes the issue is that the signal levels
have gone to crap. Sometimes the issue is
a change to your account has resulted in the
CableCARD no longer being on the account.
And, sometimes, the CableCARD just dies.
And in the case of InfiniTV cards, sometimes
they go sideways (they run very very hot, and
have been known to go sideways when they
get too hot (if it is an internal card, blow the
dust away, if it is an external device, add a
cooling fan)).

A couple of questions:

* Does your CableCARD show as authenticated/authorized?

* Does your CableCARD signal level appear reasonable
and show a locked OOB

* And (this can be related) does Comcast now
offer 2gb/s service to your specific location (which implies
mid-split, and DAA nodes, and may have impacted
signal levels or proper provisioning, and do you
use a Comcast gateway?) Comcast is marketing
this as "10G", and it is being rolled out node by
node.

---

If the CableCARD does not show as authenticated
or authorized, but otherwise the OOB shows locked
and good signals you will need to do the dance you
wish to avoid.

If the CableCARD levels are poor, you may
need to get a tech visit before you do anything
else.

If you have a poor quality splitter between
your gateway, and your InfiniTV (and maybe
even if a higher quality splitted depending on
whether the InfiniTV has proper design points)
you can try to replace the splitter, or add a
mid-split HPF to protect your InfiniTV if your
location has been mid-split-ized (no, that is
not a word).

FWIW, CableCARDs do die, and while not
common, it does happen. Note that last I knew
local stores no longer stock CableCARDs,
so getting a replacement will require having
them order one, or for the tech you have
visit order one, and wait a week or so for
shipment.
Re: Comcast Cable Card: Suddenly "No Entitlement" [ In reply to ]
On 8/31/23 23:45, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 12:16?AM Peter Bennett<pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Today I found that the cable card in my Infinitv can no longer receive
>> any channels. The message on the Ceton status for the tuner is "No
>> Entitlement", even for basic broadcast channels.
>> Has anybody else experienced this?
> I have not, but I am both in a different region,
> and using different equipment (and in Comcastic
> land, any/all of those things can matter a lot).
>
> ---
>
> By any chance did you recently (up to around a
> month ago) change anything in regards to your
> account plan (new plan/promo/services?)

No - the only thing was delete one email address and change another
(because of the huge amount of spam). I did this entirely through the
web site.

The web site still shows my equipment as being a cable card.

> No entitlement is what it says, and means that
> the CableCARD has not recently received a
> proper set of authorizations (CableCARDs
> have a grace period of not receiving those
> signals, which may be as long as 30 days).
>
> Sometimes the issue is that the signal levels
> have gone to crap. Sometimes the issue is
> a change to your account has resulted in the
> CableCARD no longer being on the account.
> And, sometimes, the CableCARD just dies.
> And in the case of InfiniTV cards, sometimes
> they go sideways (they run very very hot, and
> have been known to go sideways when they
> get too hot (if it is an internal card, blow the
> dust away, if it is an external device, add a
> cooling fan)).
I have a fan under it and it feels cool.

According to the status page:
Temperature: 33.6 C

> A couple of questions:
>
> * Does your CableCARD show as authenticated/authorized?
Card Authorization: Validated, validation message is received,
authenticated, and the IDs match those in the current binding

> * Does your CableCARD signal level appear reasonable
> and show a locked OOB

Signal Level: 1.7 dBmV
Signal To Noise Level: 39.9 dB

Out Of Band Frequency: 104.250 Mhz
Out Of Band Carrier Lock: Locked
Out Of Band MER: 35 db/10

I don't know if this is good or bad.

> * And (this can be related) does Comcast now
> offer 2gb/s service to your specific location (which implies
> mid-split, and DAA nodes, and may have impacted
> signal levels or proper provisioning,
They offer up to GIGABIT EXTRA 1200 Mbps. I have CONNECT MORE 200 Mbps
> and do you
> use a Comcast gateway?)
I have my own cable modem
> Comcast is marketing
> this as "10G", and it is being rolled out node by
> node.
>
> ---
>
> If the CableCARD does not show as authenticated
> or authorized, but otherwise the OOB shows locked
> and good signals you will need to do the dance you
> wish to avoid.
>
> If the CableCARD levels are poor, you may
> need to get a tech visit before you do anything
> else.
>
> If you have a poor quality splitter between
> your gateway, and your InfiniTV (and maybe
> even if a higher quality splitted depending on
> whether the InfiniTV has proper design points)
> you can try to replace the splitter, or add a
> mid-split HPF to protect your InfiniTV if your
> location has been mid-split-ized (no, that is
> not a word).
>
> FWIW, CableCARDs do die, and while not
> common, it does happen. Note that last I knew
> local stores no longer stock CableCARDs,
> so getting a replacement will require having
> them order one, or for the tech you have
> visit order one, and wait a week or so for
> shipment.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Peter
Re: Comcast Cable Card: Suddenly "No Entitlement" [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 1:27?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> * Does your CableCARD show as authenticated/authorized?
>
> Card Authorization: Validated, validation message is received, authenticated, and the IDs match those in the current binding

That is good.

> I don't know if this is good or bad.

Those numbers are considered good.

This *may* be an easy fix for Comcast. Call
them, and indicate that you are not able to
tune all the channels in your package.

That is (typically) something they have
in their script(s), which will result in them
sending a proper provisioning message.

After they do that, make sure the card
authorization is still validated/authenticated
(there are some hits that change the
host/dataid, and then you have to do
the re-pairing with the new values).

FWIW (and this is mostly background)
for Motorola/Arris/Commscope CableCARDs
(and your messages indicate that it is one)
and Comcast the channel authorizations
have to be properly provisioned both on
the account, *and* the CableCARD.
Sometimes it seems that one/more of
the places do not get properly updated
and/or aligned. I have had cases (when
the stores had CableCARDs) where it
was easier to swap the CableCARD
then get the hoop jumping performed
to fix some of the inconsistencies.

Good luck.
Re: Comcast Cable Card: Suddenly "No Entitlement" [ In reply to ]
On 9/1/23 14:44, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 1:27?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> * Does your CableCARD show as authenticated/authorized?
>>
>> Card Authorization: Validated, validation message is received, authenticated, and the IDs match those in the current binding
> That is good.

>> I don't know if this is good or bad.
> Those numbers are considered good.
>

> This *may* be an easy fix for Comcast. Call
> them, and indicate that you are not able to
> tune all the channels in your package.
>
> That is (typically) something they have
> in their script(s), which will result in them
> sending a proper provisioning message.
>
> After they do that, make sure the card
> authorization is still validated/authenticated
> (there are some hits that change the
> host/dataid, and then you have to do
> the re-pairing with the new values).

Thanks for the suggestion.

After an hour or so chat with an agent where they supposedly sent an
activation, but nothing got fixed, and they tried to convince me to
subscribe to their mobile service, they said it will need a technician
visit. I declined that and I will be returning the cable card and
unplugging the ceton.

Re: Comcast Cable Card: Suddenly "No Entitlement" [ In reply to ]
> After an hour or so chat with an agent where they supposedly sent an
> activation, but nothing got fixed, and they tried to convince me to
> subscribe to their mobile service, they said it will need a technician
> visit. I declined that and I will be returning the cable card and
> unplugging the ceton.

not surprised with Comcast - I was secretly waiting on how long it
would take to get to this point.
Re: Comcast Cable Card: Suddenly "No Entitlement" [ In reply to ]
On 9/1/23 21:55, Evuraan wrote:
>> After an hour or so chat with an agent where they supposedly sent an
>> activation, but nothing got fixed, and they tried to convince me to
>> subscribe to their mobile service, they said it will need a technician
>> visit. I declined that and I will be returning the cable card and
>> unplugging the ceton.
> not surprised with Comcast - I was secretly waiting on how long it
> would take to get to this point.

The cable card is working again and receiving all channels. I will hang
on to it for a while.

Peter

Re: Comcast Cable Card: Suddenly "No Entitlement" [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 7:16?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/23 21:55, Evuraan wrote:
> >> After an hour or so chat with an agent where they supposedly sent an
> >> activation, but nothing got fixed, and they tried to convince me to
> >> subscribe to their mobile service, they said it will need a technician
> >> visit. I declined that and I will be returning the cable card and
> >> unplugging the ceton.
> > not surprised with Comcast - I was secretly waiting on how long it
> > would take to get to this point.
>
> The cable card is working again and receiving all channels. I will hang
> on to it for a while.

I also have Comcast service which has been pretty darn solid for a long
time, and I also have a CableCard with my HDHR. These threads about
waning support for CableCards are concerning, mostly because I have no idea
what my alternatives are for MythTV, absent the HDHR+CableCard combo.

What is plan B if plan A falls through?

Re: Comcast Cable Card: Suddenly "No Entitlement" [ In reply to ]
OTA, supplemented by streaming. I guess.

Steve Greene
(301) 842-8923
historicity.co
An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
moving images and recorded sound.

Re: Comcast Cable Card: Suddenly "No Entitlement" [ In reply to ]
On 9/8/23 19:30, Larry Kennedy wrote:
> I also have Comcast service which has been pretty darn solid for a
> long time, and I also have a CableCard with my HDHR. These threads
> about waning support for CableCards are concerning, mostly because I
> have no idea what my alternatives are for MythTV, absent the
> HDHR+CableCard combo.
>
> What is plan B if plan A falls through?

I stopped using the cable card for recordings two years ago. I keep it
for testing purposes and because the Comcast bill says it costs me $0.00.

This is what I have used for the last two years for MythTV recording on
Comcast:

https://github.com/bennettpeter/MythTV-LeanCapture#readme