Mailing List Archive

videoscan metadata artwork problem
Hi,
I'm running a combined backend/frontend with a bunch of old orphaned
recordings on it which I've moved to video storage.

With some help from this list I've got the filenames set so that mythutil
--scanvideos does a pretty good job of finding the correct metadata.

However I'm not seeing any pretty artwork.

mythutil is downloading good artwork jpg's into the following directories:

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/Artwork/<filename>
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/FanArt
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/Screenshots

but in the videometadata table it is setting the path to each file as:

home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/Artwork/<filename>

That is, it's missing the leading '/'.

If I manually add the '/' to each entry in the database then the artwork is
displayed correctly - but that's not a very workable workaround.

Do I have a configuration error?

I should point out that I'm running a early version of 0.32, pre most of
the fixes, so it's quite possible I have a version with a bug in it (in
which case I accept responsibiity for the error)

I just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid (apart from running
a non-production version)

Thanks
Re: videoscan metadata artwork problem [ In reply to ]
Hoi David,

> Hi,
> I'm running a combined backend/frontend with a bunch of old
> orphaned recordings on it which I've moved to video storage.

> With some help from this list I've got the filenames set so that
> mythutil --scanvideos does a pretty good job of finding the correct metadata.

> However I'm not seeing any pretty artwork.

> mythutil is downloading good artwork jpg's into the following directories:

> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/Artwork/<filename>
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/FanArt
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/Screenshots

> but in the videometadata table it is setting the path to each file as:

> home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/Artwork/<filename>

> That is, it's missing the leading '/'.

> If I manually add the '/' to each entry in the database then the
> artwork is displayed correctly - but that's not a very workable workaround.

> Do I have a configuration error?

> I should point out that I'm running a early version of 0.32, pre
> most of the fixes, so it's quite possible I have a version with a
> bug in it (in which case I accept responsibiity for the error)

> I just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid (apart from running a non-production version)

> Thanks

Have you checked the directory definitions in the storage groups? Could
there the leading backslash be missing?

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: videoscan metadata artwork problem [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 at 23:21, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hoi David,
>
> Monday, August 21, 2023, 11:22:36 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm running a combined backend/frontend with a bunch of old
> > orphaned recordings on it which I've moved to video storage.
>

> > With some help from this list I've got the filenames set so that
> > mythutil --scanvideos does a pretty good job of finding the correct
> metadata.
>

> > However I'm not seeing any pretty artwork.
>

> > mythutil is downloading good artwork jpg's into the following
> directories:
>

> > /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/Artwork/<filename>
> > /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/FanArt
> > /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/Screenshots
>

> > but in the videometadata table it is setting the path to each file as:
>

> > home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/Artwork/<filename>
>

> > That is, it's missing the leading '/'.
>

> > If I manually add the '/' to each entry in the database then the
> > artwork is displayed correctly - but that's not a very workable
> workaround.
>

> > Do I have a configuration error?
>

> > I should point out that I'm running a early version of 0.32, pre
> > most of the fixes, so it's quite possible I have a version with a
> > bug in it (in which case I accept responsibiity for the error)
>

> > I just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid (apart from
> running a non-production version)
>

> > Thanks
>
> Have you checked the directory definitions in the storage groups? Could
> there the leading backslash be missing?
>
> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

Hi HIka,

I did check that. There were no metadata storage groups defined.

I don't see why they would be necessary on a standalone, combined
front/backend but I did create a couple (for Artwork and Screenshots)
without it making a difference. In fact it didn't seem to have any effect
at all so maybe I did something wrong - a bit more work needed there before
I give up on that front.

I'm thinking that the backend doesn't need the '/' (because it's
downloading the artwork to the correct place), but the frontend does
(because it can't find them there).

I'll futz around for a bit longer and if I don't get anywhere I'll need to
consider whether this is worth an upgrade.

I'm guessing the frontend might be looking in

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/... so maybe I can just
copy the artwork to there?

Thanks
Re: videoscan metadata artwork problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 08:35:54 +0100, you wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 at 23:21, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hoi David,
>>
>> Monday, August 21, 2023, 11:22:36 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm running a combined backend/frontend with a bunch of old
>> > orphaned recordings on it which I've moved to video storage.
>>

>> > With some help from this list I've got the filenames set so that
>> > mythutil --scanvideos does a pretty good job of finding the correct
>> metadata.
>>

>> > However I'm not seeing any pretty artwork.
>>

>> > mythutil is downloading good artwork jpg's into the following
>> directories:
>>

>> > /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/Artwork/<filename>
>> > /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/FanArt
>> > /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/Screenshots
>>

>> > but in the videometadata table it is setting the path to each file as:
>>

>> > home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/Artwork/<filename>
>>

>> > That is, it's missing the leading '/'.
>>

>> > If I manually add the '/' to each entry in the database then the
>> > artwork is displayed correctly - but that's not a very workable
>> workaround.
>>

>> > Do I have a configuration error?
>>

>> > I should point out that I'm running a early version of 0.32, pre
>> > most of the fixes, so it's quite possible I have a version with a
>> > bug in it (in which case I accept responsibiity for the error)
>>

>> > I just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid (apart from
>> running a non-production version)
>>

>> > Thanks
>>
>> Have you checked the directory definitions in the storage groups? Could
>> there the leading backslash be missing?
>>
>> Tot mails,
>> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>>

>Hi HIka,
>
>I did check that. There were no metadata storage groups defined.
>
>I don't see why they would be necessary on a standalone, combined
>front/backend but I did create a couple (for Artwork and Screenshots)
>without it making a difference. In fact it didn't seem to have any effect
>at all so maybe I did something wrong - a bit more work needed there before
>I give up on that front.
>
>I'm thinking that the backend doesn't need the '/' (because it's
>downloading the artwork to the correct place), but the frontend does
>(because it can't find them there).
>
>I'll futz around for a bit longer and if I don't get anywhere I'll need to
>consider whether this is worth an upgrade.
>
>I'm guessing the frontend might be looking in
>
>/home/mythtv/.mythtv/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/... so maybe I can just
>copy the artwork to there?
>
>Thanks

I would suggest creating the storage groups and see if that fixes it.
You should have:

Banners
Coverart
Fanart
Trailers
Videos

MythTV does have builtin defaults for these, but there may be a bug in
them as they are not normally used because a standard database will
have all the above storage groups defined. In Ubuntu, they are set to
/var/lib/mythtv/<storagegroup name> and I suspect they are rarely
changed except for the Videos one.
Re: videoscan metadata artwork problem [ In reply to ]

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 08:35:54 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 at 23:21, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hoi David,

>>> metadata.

>>> directories:

>>> workaround.

>>> running a non-production version)

>>> Have you checked the directory definitions in the storage groups? Could
>>> there the leading backslash be missing?
>>>
>>> Tot mails,
>>> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>>>
>> Hi HIka,
>>
>> I did check that. There were no metadata storage groups defined.
>>
>> I don't see why they would be necessary on a standalone, combined
>> front/backend but I did create a couple (for Artwork and Screenshots)
>> without it making a difference. In fact it didn't seem to have any effect
>> at all so maybe I did something wrong - a bit more work needed there before
>> I give up on that front.
>>
>> I'm thinking that the backend doesn't need the '/' (because it's
>> downloading the artwork to the correct place), but the frontend does
>> (because it can't find them there).
>>
>> I'll futz around for a bit longer and if I don't get anywhere I'll need to
>> consider whether this is worth an upgrade.
>>
>> I'm guessing the frontend might be looking in
>>
>> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/... so maybe I can just
>> copy the artwork to there?
>>
>> Thanks
> I would suggest creating the storage groups and see if that fixes it.
> You should have:
>
> Banners
> Coverart
> Fanart
> Trailers
> Videos
>
> MythTV does have builtin defaults for these, but there may be a bug in
> them as they are not normally used because a standard database will
> have all the above storage groups defined. In Ubuntu, they are set to
> /var/lib/mythtv/<storagegroup name> and I suspect they are rarely
> changed except for the Videos one.

One thing you need to be careful off is having both storage groups (set
in mythtv-setup) and the old legacy video directory settings (set in the
General Settings in the FE) active at the same time. You need to choose
which one you want and stick with it. The recommendation is to use
storage groups and everything should just work  even on all your remote
FE's.

Paul H.

Re: videoscan metadata artwork problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 13:31:21 +0100, you wrote:

>On 22/08/2023 10:29, Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> Hi HIka,
>>>
>>> I did check that. There were no metadata storage groups defined.
>>>
>>> I don't see why they would be necessary on a standalone, combined
>>> front/backend but I did create a couple (for Artwork and Screenshots)
>>> without it making a difference. In fact it didn't seem to have any effect
>>> at all so maybe I did something wrong - a bit more work needed there before
>>> I give up on that front.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking that the backend doesn't need the '/' (because it's
>>> downloading the artwork to the correct place), but the frontend does
>>> (because it can't find them there).
>>>
>>> I'll futz around for a bit longer and if I don't get anywhere I'll need to
>>> consider whether this is worth an upgrade.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing the frontend might be looking in
>>>
>>> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/... so maybe I can just
>>> copy the artwork to there?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>> I would suggest creating the storage groups and see if that fixes it.
>> You should have:
>>
>> Banners
>> Coverart
>> Fanart
>> Trailers
>> Videos
>>
>> MythTV does have builtin defaults for these, but there may be a bug in
>> them as they are not normally used because a standard database will
>> have all the above storage groups defined. In Ubuntu, they are set to
>> /var/lib/mythtv/<storagegroup name> and I suspect they are rarely
>> changed except for the Videos one.
>

>One thing you need to be careful off is having both storage groups (set
>in mythtv-setup) and the old legacy video directory settings (set in the
>General Settings in the FE) active at the same time. You need to choose
>which one you want and stick with it. The recommendation is to use
>storage groups and everything should just work? even on all your remote
>FE's.

Unfortunately, there are some video types that will not play in
mythfrontend, so you need to use an external player for them (I use
mplayer). Older .wmv files in particular. So you can not use storage
groups for those files, and need to use the old directory list, so
that the external player can get a directory location for the file.
And you can not tell until you try to play them that they need an
external player.
Re: videoscan metadata artwork problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 at 14:50, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 13:31:21 +0100, you wrote:

> as:

> Could

> effect
> before

> need to

> just

> >> I would suggest creating the storage groups and see if that fixes it.
> >> You should have:
> >>
> >> Banners
> >> Coverart
> >> Fanart
> >> Trailers
> >> Videos
> >>
> >> MythTV does have builtin defaults for these, but there may be a bug in
> >> them as they are not normally used because a standard database will
> >> have all the above storage groups defined. In Ubuntu, they are set to
> >> /var/lib/mythtv/<storagegroup name> and I suspect they are rarely
> >> changed except for the Videos one.
> >

> >One thing you need to be careful off is having both storage groups (set
> >in mythtv-setup) and the old legacy video directory settings (set in the
> >General Settings in the FE) active at the same time. You need to choose
> >which one you want and stick with it. The recommendation is to use
> >storage groups and everything should just work even on all your remote
> >FE's.
>
> Unfortunately, there are some video types that will not play in
> mythfrontend, so you need to use an external player for them (I use
> mplayer). Older .wmv files in particular. So you can not use storage
> groups for those files, and need to use the old directory list, so
> that the external player can get a directory location for the file.
> And you can not tell until you try to play them that they need an
> external player.

Thanks Paul and Stephen for the recent replies.

I have a plan now then. I'll set up the recommended storage groups on the
backend and delete the video directory settings in the frontend.

...and I'll backup the database.

I remember using mplayer for videos and even DVD's I think way back, but I
haven't needed to do that for a long time so I don't think I have any files
which won't play nicely in mythfronted.

I might take a few days to get round to it though - now the working week
has kicked in again.

Re: videoscan metadata artwork problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 at 10:32, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 08:35:54 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 at 23:21, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hoi David,

> >> metadata.

> >> directories:

> >> workaround.

> >> running a non-production version)

> >> Have you checked the directory definitions in the storage groups? Could
> >> there the leading backslash be missing?
> >>
> >> Tot mails,
> >> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
> >>

> >Hi HIka,
> >
> >I did check that. There were no metadata storage groups defined.
> >
> >I don't see why they would be necessary on a standalone, combined
> >front/backend but I did create a couple (for Artwork and Screenshots)
> >without it making a difference. In fact it didn't seem to have any effect
> >at all so maybe I did something wrong - a bit more work needed there
> before
> >I give up on that front.
> >
> >I'm thinking that the backend doesn't need the '/' (because it's
> >downloading the artwork to the correct place), but the frontend does
> >(because it can't find them there).
> >
> >I'll futz around for a bit longer and if I don't get anywhere I'll need to
> >consider whether this is worth an upgrade.
> >
> >I'm guessing the frontend might be looking in
> >
> >/home/mythtv/.mythtv/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Video/... so maybe I can just
> >copy the artwork to there?
> >
> >Thanks
>
> I would suggest creating the storage groups and see if that fixes it.
> You should have:
>
> Banners
> Coverart
> Fanart
> Trailers
> Videos
>
> MythTV does have builtin defaults for these, but there may be a bug in
> them as they are not normally used because a standard database will
> have all the above storage groups defined. In Ubuntu, they are set to
> /var/lib/mythtv/<storagegroup name> and I suspect they are rarely
> changed except for the Videos one.

Creating those storage groups on the backend, combined with Paul's advice
to delete the corresponding entries in the frontend setup did the trick.

Thanks both,