Mailing List Archive

end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards
Hello all, I'm generally pretty quiet on this list but I thought I post
a thanks and my stats after I cancelled cable yesterday (which took 25
@$#! minutes). Charter/Spectrum (St. Louis area) phased out support for
cable cards. It was well past the on-or-after date of 5/25, and some
channels went earlier, but yesterday service was completely cut,
rendering my two HDHR Prime units useless. (They can only do CC, right?)

I will have Myth running still, and may revisit getting an OTA tuner,
but for now I just moved Hulu and Disney up to the Live TV version.
Some things that will definitely be a downgrade are: the speedy response
with local files; choosing and customizing a remote to how I want to use
it, and relatedly having "power" actions such as page up/down or a
closed-caption button, multiple skip options, etc; zoom/stretch options,
including manual zoom to look at a spot on screen or move the news
ticker off the bottom; sorting and grouping channels and a nice guide;
and probably lots of other things I'll learn as I get aggravated with
further use.

+------------+
| TitleCount |
+------------+
| 1817 |
+------------+

+-----------+
| ShowCount |
+-----------+
| 25283 |
+-----------+

I kind of thought it was earlier than this, but I can't remember a clean
rebuild or lost backup. I did have GB-PVR for a few years before. (The
latest recording is probably taking into account failed ones today - I
need to delete the rules.)

+---------------------+---------------------+
| FirstRecording | LatestRecording |
+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2007-11-05 01:00:00 | 2023-08-10 18:30:00 |
+---------------------+---------------------+

Running time
+-------+------+-------+----------------+
| Years | Days | Hours | RunningMinutes |
+-------+------+-------+----------------+
| 15 | 282 | 17 | 30 |
+-------+------+-------+----------------+

Recording time
Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 12:12?AM John Marshall <mythtv@marshallparty.org> wrote:

> Hello all, I'm generally pretty quiet on this list but I thought I post
> a thanks and my stats after I cancelled cable yesterday (which took 25
> @$#! minutes). Charter/Spectrum (St. Louis area) phased out support for
> cable cards. It was well past the on-or-after date of 5/25, and some
> channels went earlier, but yesterday service was completely cut,

In some early markets (and I thought St. Louis
was one of them), Charter/Spectrum could
be convinced to supply a HSC (High Split
Converter) which replaced the existing
Tuning Adapter with great effort (the CSRs
would not know about them, their supervisor
might not know about them, the supervisors
supervisor might know about them, but
might tell you you can't get one), but
sometimes you could get one if you kept
asking and insisting. Sometimes. They
even had a web site (since turned off) to
order the HSC.

Until, perhaps, at the end of June, when corp.
seemed to have reimagined their entire
CableCARD support options (and added
some nails to the coffin?).

As you know, no operator is still required
to support CableCARD customers, and
I would not be surprised if in later markets
Charter may not even be installing the
infrastructure required to support the
HSC (saving Charter some money), so
it might no longer be an option going
forward in future markets (and it would
not be out of character for Charter
to eventually remove that support in
the existing early markets).

Last I knew, it was close to impossible
to get a new CableCARD added to
an account if you have video service.
And if you wanted/needed to change
something in your account, the
CableCARD might magically get
deleted (and then probably required
an act of a deity to get it placed back on,
and almost no one personally knows
any deity to make that happen).

FWIW, Charter, over the next few
years (your location will vary) will be
upgrading all of their plants to high-split,
so while you may be one of the first
to publicly post, you will not be alone
going forward. I have already warned
my CableCARD clients in Charter
territories that change is afoot (but
I don't know when, so they are mostly
ignoring me at the moment).

> rendering my two HDHR Prime units useless. (They can only do CC, right?)

Yes, the HDHR3-CC's are cable only. There
are a few operators that still support CC's
(at least for the moment), so you might be
able to sell yours via a "new-to-you" site.
Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
On 8/11/2023 2:30 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> Until, perhaps, at the end of June, when corp.
> seemed to have reimagined their entire
> CableCARD support options (and added
> some nails to the coffin?).

It may have been earlier. They raised the monthly CC price from $2 to
$6 sometime in the last year or so.

> As you know, no operator is still required > to support CableCARD customers, and
I had not seen that rule change until I did some research when I got
notified. I can understand it but it's a real bummer for folks like us.

> Last I knew, it was close to impossible
> to get a new CableCARD added to
> an account if you have video service.
> And if you wanted/needed to change
> something in your account, the
> CableCARD might magically get
> deleted (and then probably required
> an act of a deity to get it placed back on,
> and almost no one personally knows
> any deity to make that happen).

Yeah, even years ago getting them set up was a pain. That's partly why
I grudgingly accepted the ever more insane price hikes - I was afraid to
poke the bear and break something. I also had a legacy channel package
that would have changed to my detriment if my account changed, but it,
too, was being forcibly modified as part of a different upgrade notice
in August which had me leaning towards cancelling even before the
shutoff. (At least I get a free internet speed bump.)

>> rendering my two HDHR Prime units useless. (They can only do CC, right?)
>
> Yes, the HDHR3-CC's are cable only. There
> are a few operators that still support CC's
> (at least for the moment), so you might be
> able to sell yours via a "new-to-you" site.

At least I didn't *just* buy them! I think I got my money's worth over
the years. Hopefully I can find something to do with them besides
putting them in the box of old electronics in the basement that I never
get around to taking to the recycling place. Presumably Spectrum will
at least take back the cards and tuning adapters and do something
(responsible?) with them. I guess at least I'll save a few bucks on
electricity now.
Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2023, 3:12 PM John Marshall <mythtv@marshallparty.org>
wrote:

> On 8/11/2023 2:30 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>
> > Until, perhaps, at the end of June, when corp.
> > seemed to have reimagined their entire
> > CableCARD support options (and added
> > some nails to the coffin?).
>
> It may have been earlier. They raised the monthly CC price from $2 to
> $6 sometime in the last year or so.
>
> > As you know, no operator is still required > to support CableCARD
> customers, and
> I had not seen that rule change until I did some research when I got
> notified. I can understand it but it's a real bummer for folks like us.
>
> > Last I knew, it was close to impossible
> > to get a new CableCARD added to
> > an account if you have video service.
> > And if you wanted/needed to change
> > something in your account, the
> > CableCARD might magically get
> > deleted (and then probably required
> > an act of a deity to get it placed back on,
> > and almost no one personally knows
> > any deity to make that happen).
>
> Yeah, even years ago getting them set up was a pain. That's partly why
> I grudgingly accepted the ever more insane price hikes - I was afraid to
> poke the bear and break something. I also had a legacy channel package
> that would have changed to my detriment if my account changed, but it,
> too, was being forcibly modified as part of a different upgrade notice
> in August which had me leaning towards cancelling even before the
> shutoff. (At least I get a free internet speed bump.)
>
> >> rendering my two HDHR Prime units useless. (They can only do CC,
> right?)
> >
> > Yes, the HDHR3-CC's are cable only. There
> > are a few operators that still support CC's
> > (at least for the moment), so you might be
> > able to sell yours via a "new-to-you" site.
>
> At least I didn't *just* buy them! I think I got my money's worth over
> the years. Hopefully I can find something to do with them besides
> putting them in the box of old electronics in the basement that I never
> get around to taking to the recycling place. Presumably Spectrum will
> at least take back the cards and tuning adapters and do something
> (responsible?) with them. I guess at least I'll save a few bucks on
> electricity now.

John, I was a charter customer for.many years with a prime tuner and ran
that way forany years. I cut the cord maybe 2 years ago. I actually had a
prime unit and 2 hdhomerun OTA units for the local channels since the
picture was better, but cancelled the cable side since it was so expensive.
I still do OTA for the local channels and added Philo for some of the other
channels that I used to record, doesn't get everything that I had but for
$25 it picked up quite a few and then I just add whatever else streaming as
needed per month. My concern is with the way atsc3 is being done with
encryption not sure if we will even be able to do OTA. Oh well, return the
cards and the tuning adapter or they will try to charge you even though
they are going to pitch them, lol. So my suggestion would be to get a good
antenna and keep using myth for all the local channels. :)

Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 8:13?PM John Marshall <mythtv@marshallparty.org> wrote:

> Presumably Spectrum will
> at least take back the cards and tuning adapters and do something
> (responsible?) with them. I guess at least I'll save a few bucks on
> electricity now.

Last I knew, Charter/Spectrum has suggested
they don't want the CableCARDs and Tuning
Adapters back (although you should check
with your local team). I suspect that is because
if they get them back, as a business, they
*do* have to recycle them responsibility and
it will cost them (individuals, in many
locations, do not have an affirmative duty to
properly recycle electronics, and even where
they do do so, can typically do it for free; not
so for businesses (they have to pay)).
Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
On 8/11/2023 3:27 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 8:13?PM John Marshall <mythtv@marshallparty.org> wrote:
>
>> Presumably Spectrum will
>> at least take back the cards and tuning adapters and do something
>> (responsible?) with them. I guess at least I'll save a few bucks on
>> electricity now.
>
> Last I knew, Charter/Spectrum has suggested
> they don't want the CableCARDs and Tuning
> Adapters back (although you should check
> with your local team). I suspect that is because
> if they get them back, as a business, they
> *do* have to recycle them responsibility and
> it will cost them (individuals, in many
> locations, do not have an affirmative duty to
> properly recycle electronics, and even where
> they do do so, can typically do it for free; not
> so for businesses (they have to pay)).

Yeah, the notice actually said I did not need to return the equipment,
and that's (regrettably) probably why. It's not that far away, and I
like the idea of forcing them to deal with it, but also I have so much
other stuff I need to take in anyway it's not like it's an extra burden
(I believe they would be free items unlike, say, a CRT). I don't know
if it matters or it would just end up with the same local recycle center
in any case.

Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2023, 3:29 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 8:13?PM John Marshall <mythtv@marshallparty.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Presumably Spectrum will
> > at least take back the cards and tuning adapters and do something
> > (responsible?) with them. I guess at least I'll save a few bucks on
> > electricity now.
>
> Last I knew, Charter/Spectrum has suggested
> they don't want the CableCARDs and Tuning
> Adapters back (although you should check
> with your local team). I suspect that is because
> if they get them back, as a business, they
> *do* have to recycle them responsibility and
> it will cost them (individuals, in many
> locations, do not have an affirmative duty to
> properly recycle electronics, and even where
> they do do so, can typically do it for free; not
> so for businesses (they have to pay)).

Eh I would agree but when I cancelled my internet service back in March
they tried to charge me $200 for the tuning adapters and cable cards even
though I had returned them. Required me to call multiple times and talk to
multiple people to get it resolved, a major pia. I would return them and
make sure I get a receipt or something else that confirms the return since
they love to try to charge you for stuff...

Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
On 8/11/2023 3:37 PM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Eh I would agree but when I cancelled my internet service back in March
> they tried to charge me $200 for the tuning adapters and cable cards
> even though I had returned them. Required me to call multiple times and
> talk to multiple people to get it resolved, a major pia. I would return
> them and make sure I get a receipt or something else that confirms the
> return since they love to try to charge you for stuff...

Oof, yeah, maybe I will. It's bad enough that they don't prorate
changes over the month anymore, and my billing cycle just flipped like 2
days before I cancelled so I get to pay ~$120 for cable I can't access
for a month.

Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 08:27:26PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 8:13?PM John Marshall <mythtv@marshallparty.org> wrote:
>
> > Presumably Spectrum will
> > at least take back the cards and tuning adapters and do something
> > (responsible?) with them. I guess at least I'll save a few bucks on
> > electricity now.
>
> Last I knew, Charter/Spectrum has suggested
> they don't want the CableCARDs and Tuning
> Adapters back (although you should check
> with your local team). I suspect that is because
> if they get them back, as a business, they
> *do* have to recycle them responsibility and
> it will cost them (individuals, in many
> locations, do not have an affirmative duty to
> properly recycle electronics, and even where
> they do do so, can typically do it for free; not
> so for businesses (they have to pay)).

I'm still inclined to drop them off (maybe even throw them at) the
local, Spectrum store. :)

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 03:40:54PM -0500, John Marshall wrote:
> On 8/11/2023 3:37 PM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> > Eh I would agree but when I cancelled my internet service back in March
> > they tried to charge me $200 for the tuning adapters and cable cards
> > even though I had returned them. Required me to call multiple times and
> > talk to multiple people to get it resolved, a major pia. I would return
> > them and make sure I get a receipt or something else that confirms the
> > return since they love to try to charge you for stuff...
>
> Oof, yeah, maybe I will. It's bad enough that they don't prorate changes
> over the month anymore, and my billing cycle just flipped like 2 days before
> I cancelled so I get to pay ~$120 for cable I can't access for a month.

My mom still had a few days left before her new billing cycle started.
It wasn't enough time to get the competitor's service installed,
though, so that change won't happen for a few more weeks now.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 10:06?PM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:

> I'm still inclined to drop them off (maybe even throw them at) the
> local, Spectrum store. :)

Last I knew you could take any Charter/Spectrum
equipment that you needed to return to any UPS
store who would pack it, and give you a receipt for
the items. I presume that costs Charter something,
so that likely results in the highest overall cost
for an equipment return, should that be a bonus
you are interested in pursuing.
Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 10:47:05PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 10:06?PM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm still inclined to drop them off (maybe even throw them at) the
> > local, Spectrum store. :)
>
> Last I knew you could take any Charter/Spectrum
> equipment that you needed to return to any UPS
> store who would pack it, and give you a receipt for
> the items. I presume that costs Charter something,
> so that likely results in the highest overall cost
> for an equipment return, should that be a bonus
> you are interested in pursuing.

I did not know that. I checked and it's still supported. The most
costly (to Spectrum) way, though, appears to be to request "Home
Shipment Return Kit". I assume that means them paying to mail the
boxes and the UPS pickup and shipping. That is, of course, assuming
the fine print doesn't say that would all be charged to the user. :)

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 11:43?PM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:

> I did not know that. I checked and it's still supported. The most
> costly (to Spectrum) way, though, appears to be to request "Home
> Shipment Return Kit". I assume that means them paying to mail the
> boxes and the UPS pickup and shipping.

I am sure Charter has a nice bulk
pricing arrangement with UPS, so
I would guess we can't really be
sure, but I suspect that having the
UPS store pack it is more expensive
than you doing it (even including
sending you the box). Many UPS
stores are contract stores, and they
charge a (slight) shipping premium
if you bring a box into them for shipping
vs. just dropping off the same box with
a pre-paid label you bought directly
via your UPS account, and I am sure
there is an additional premium for them
doing the packing too.

In any case, one should typically
choose to do what is the lowest
cost to themselves as Charter
does not care about people making
statements (and you won't care in
few weeks either).
Re: end of an era: Spectrum turned off cable cards [ In reply to ]
Be sure to get your equipment receipt before throwing anything????