deja-vu, second connect for second signal source split configured too.
Unconventional? Totally, but with the hardware I have and my use case
scenario, if it would work, it might just be the best. Possible? TIA Daryl
Re: can two backends share one HDHR connect dual tuner? [ In reply to ]
On 8/10/23 10:09, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> What I'm thinking of accomplishing is, using a RPi4 as a slave BE on
> 24/7 collecting EPG program data, with one tuner from the connect
> configured on the RPi (for EPG) and the other to the master BE (for
> recording). And, deja-vu, second connect for second signal source split
> configured too.
> Unconventional? Totally, but with the hardware I have and my use case
> scenario, if it would work, it might just be the best. Possible?  TIA  Daryl

I'm just curious WHY?
I've got multiple tuners all can collect data and I never see any artifacts.
James
Re: can two backends share one HDHR connect dual tuner? [ In reply to ]
Hoi Daryl,

Thursday, August 10, 2023, 4:09:08 AM, you wrote:

> What I'm thinking of accomplishing is, using a RPi4 as a slave BE
> on 24/7 collecting EPG program data, with one tuner from the connect
> configured on the RPi (for EPG) and the other to the master BE (for
> recording). And, deja-vu, second connect for second signal source split configured too.
> Unconventional? Totally, but with the hardware I have and my use
> case scenario, if it would work, it might just be the best. Possible?  TIA  Daryl

Mythtv expects sole and complete controle on any tuner it uses. So
you cannot share tuners between 2 use cases, but you can split the 2
tuners between 2 use cases. So one dedicated to one and the other to
another. So configure both for using only one tuner on the hdhr.

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: can two backends share one HDHR connect dual tuner? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 10:30?PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi Daryl,
>
> Thursday, August 10, 2023, 4:09:08 AM, you wrote:
>
> > What I'm thinking of accomplishing is, using a RPi4 as a slave BE
> > on 24/7 collecting EPG program data, with one tuner from the connect
> > configured on the RPi (for EPG) and the other to the master BE (for
> > recording). And, deja-vu, second connect for second signal source split
> configured too.
> > Unconventional? Totally, but with the hardware I have and my use
> > case scenario, if it would work, it might just be the best. Possible?
> TIA Daryl
>

> Mythtv expects sole and complete controle on any tuner it uses. So
> you cannot share tuners between 2 use cases, but you can split the 2
> tuners between 2 use cases. So one dedicated to one and the other to
> another. So configure both for using only one tuner on the hdhr.
>
> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

I have a HDHR Dual tuner and a quad tuner. I can define in Mythtv the
number of tuners I want to record from and select both tuners to create a
pool of tuners to choose from automatically.

For example, Mythtv is defined with 4 tuners enabling both the HDHR DUO and
HDHR Quatro. So even if all four recording tuners are being used I still
have 2 tuners somewhere. That way HDHR Android app can watch live TV from
a phone without interfering with Mythtv recordings. I also use Schedules
Direct for EPG. That way there is no background usage of a tuner

This has been a feature of Mythtv for a long while now. I've used this
feature on v32 and v33 but now I'm on V34 (Master). It has something to do
with TCP usage vs. UDP. As long as you don't have any ancient software
like TV-Headend on the same network this method should work fine.

Jim A
Re: can two backends share one HDHR connect dual tuner? [ In reply to ]
Thank-you Hika and Jim A, as to the why, my use case has been, record,
watch, delete through new episode season, stream during rerun season, the
only thing I intend to record going forward will be news and NFL, stream
all else, with six unique tuners, two for EPG and four for recordings, last
minute program data will work without SD subscription. Frugal, practical,
and functional... I hope.

Re: can two backends share one HDHR connect dual tuner? [ In reply to ]
On 8/10/2023 7:04 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> Thank-you Hika and Jim A, as to the why, my use case has been, record,
> watch, delete through new episode season, stream during rerun season,
> the only thing I intend to record going forward will be news and NFL,
> stream all else, with six unique tuners, two for EPG and four for
> recordings, last minute program data will work without SD
> subscription. Frugal, practical, and functional... I hope.
>
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 6:34?AM James Abernathy
> <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 10:30?PM Hika van den Hoven
> <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hoi Daryl,
>
> Thursday, August 10, 2023, 4:09:08 AM, you wrote:
>
> > What I'm thinking of accomplishing is, using a RPi4 as a
> slave BE
> > on 24/7 collecting EPG program data, with one tuner from the
> connect
> > configured on the RPi (for EPG) and the other to the master
> BE (for
> > recording). And, deja-vu, second connect for second signal
> source split configured too.
> > Unconventional? Totally, but with the hardware I have and my use
> > case scenario, if it would work, it might just be the best.
> Possible?  TIA  Daryl
>

> Mythtv expects sole and complete controle on any tuner it uses. So
> you cannot share tuners between 2 use cases, but you can split
> the 2
> tuners between 2 use cases. So one dedicated to one and the
> other to
> another. So configure both for using only one tuner on the hdhr.
>
> Tot mails,
>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens
>

>  I have a HDHR Dual tuner and a quad tuner. I can define in Mythtv
> the number of tuners I want to record from and select both tuners
> to create a pool of tuners to choose from automatically.
>
> For example, Mythtv is defined with 4 tuners enabling both the
> HDHR DUO and HDHR Quatro.  So even if all four recording tuners
> are being used I still have 2 tuners somewhere.  That way HDHR
> Android app can watch live TV from a phone without interfering
> with Mythtv recordings. I also use Schedules Direct for EPG.  That
> way there is no background usage of a tuner
>
> This has been a feature of Mythtv for a long while now.  I've used
> this feature on v32 and v33 but now I'm on V34 (Master). It has
> something to do with TCP usage vs. UDP.  As long as you don't have
> any ancient software like TV-Headend on the same network this
> method should work fine.
>
> Jim A

It sounds like you don't intend for the master backend to be on 24/7,
just the slave. I don't think that's supported. Maybe the RPI can be the
master, but with no storage directories for recording? It will also need
access to a database 24/7 to store the EPG it collects.
Re: can two backends share one HDHR connect dual tuner? [ In reply to ]
Hoi faginbagin,

> [...]

> recording tuners are being used I still have 2 tuners
> somewhere.  That way HDHR Android app can watch live TV
> from a phone without interfering with Mythtv recordings.
> I also use Schedules Direct for EPG.  That way there is no background usage of a tuner

> This has been a feature of Mythtv for a long while
> now.  I've used this feature on v32 and v33 but now I'm
> on V34 (Master). It has something to do with TCP usage
> vs. UDP.  As long as you don't have any ancient software
> like TV-Headend on the same network this method should work fine.

> Jim A

> It sounds like you don't intend for the master backend to be on
> 24/7, just the slave. I don't think that's supported. Maybe the RPI
> can be the master, but with no storage directories for recording? It
> will also need access to a database 24/7 to store the EPG it collects.

Yes true, the minimal requirement at all time is the database and the
master backend, a slave backend will not work without those. However
you can setup the tuners on a slave backend with higher priority then
those on the master backend. That way the master will activate the
slave whenever a recording is imminent. If you never have more
simultaneous recordings then there are tuners available to the slave
backend, the master backend will never actually record. However it
will need some storage space.
It would create an interesting configuration, that might be useful. A
relatively low power master with just the database and maybe some
other permanently needed network software and a higher power slave
system with more storage space and tuners only activated at need.
Might be more energy efficient.

Re: can two backends share one HDHR connect dual tuner? [ In reply to ]
Hoi Hika,

Did you mean to write me off list? I think the OP, Daryl, is the one who
needs to hear what you have to say, but I don't see your post on the
mythtv-users archive and I get the digest so it's too soon for me to
know if it actually made it to the list.

Best wishes,
Helen

Re: can two backends share one HDHR connect dual tuner? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 8:04?PM faginbagin <helen.buus@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > backend, the master backend will never actually record. However it
> > will need some storage space.
> > It would create an interesting configuration, that might be useful. A
> > relatively low power master with just the database and maybe some
> > other permanently needed network software and a higher power slave
> > system with more storage space and tuners only activated at need.
> > Might be more energy efficient.
> >

> > Tot mails,
> > Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
> >
> > "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> > Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> > Het eeuwige dilemma
> > Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
> >
> > De lerende Mens
> >

> Thanks Helen and Hika, I'll be doing some testingh shortly. It already
> occured to me to first try the Pi staying as Master, easier etc. Glad to
> get confirmation on the priority theory too.

Will the Pi need to be configured to wake the slave elsewhere or will the
tuner priority do the trick?
Re: can two backends share one HDHR connect dual tuner? [ In reply to ]
Hoi Daryl,

Friday, August 11, 2023, 3:45:26 AM, you wrote:

> [...]

>> simultaneous recordings then there are tuners available to the slave
>> backend, the master backend will never actually record. However it
>> will need some storage space.
>> It would create an interesting configuration, that might be useful. A
>> relatively low power master with just the database and maybe some
>> other permanently needed network software and a higher power slave
>> system with more storage space and tuners only activated at need.
>> Might be more energy efficient.
>>

>> Tot mails,
>>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>
> Thanks Helen and Hika, I'll be doing some testingh shortly. It
> already occured to me to first try the Pi staying as Master, easier
> etc. Glad to get confirmation on the priority theory too.

> Will the Pi need to be configured to wake the slave elsewhere or

If I am correct you can configure commands for wake-up and
suspend/power-down for every machine in mythtv-setup. However I never
used it and I am still on 0.27. So you have to look and experiment.
You best put your commands in shell scripts and configure mythtv to
run those shell scripts. This way it will be easier to maintain. Put
those shell scripts in the home directory of the user running the
backends, this way you are sure it has full rights to execute them.

Re: can two backends share one HDHR connect dual tuner? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 11:11?PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi Daryl,
>
> Friday, August 11, 2023, 3:45:26 AM, you wrote:
>

> > On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 8:04?PM faginbagin <helen.buus@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hoi Hika,
> >
> > Did you mean to write me off list? I think the OP, Daryl, is the one who
> > needs to hear what you have to say, but I don't see your post on the
> > mythtv-users archive and I get the digest so it's too soon for me to
> > know if it actually made it to the list.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Helen
> >
> > On 8/10/2023 7:33 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> >> Hoi faginbagin,

> the master BE (for
> have and my use

> tuner it uses. So

> hikavdh@gmail.com

> to choose from automatically.

> no background usage of a tuner

> work fine.

> collects.
> >>>
> >> Yes true, the minimal requirement at all time is the database and the
> >> master backend, a slave backend will not work without those. However
> >> you can setup the tuners on a slave backend with higher priority then
> >> those on the master backend. That way the master will activate the
> >> slave whenever a recording is imminent. If you never have more
> >> simultaneous recordings then there are tuners available to the slave
> >> backend, the master backend will never actually record. However it
> >> will need some storage space.
> >> It would create an interesting configuration, that might be useful. A
> >> relatively low power master with just the database and maybe some
> >> other permanently needed network software and a higher power slave
> >> system with more storage space and tuners only activated at need.
> >> Might be more energy efficient.
> >>

> >> Tot mails,
> >> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
> >
> > Thanks Helen and Hika, I'll be doing some testingh shortly. It
> > already occured to me to first try the Pi staying as Master, easier
> > etc. Glad to get confirmation on the priority theory too.
>
> > Will the Pi need to be configured to wake the slave elsewhere or
> > will the tuner priority do the trick?
>
> If I am correct you can configure commands for wake-up and
> suspend/power-down for every machine in mythtv-setup. However I never
> used it and I am still on 0.27. So you have to look and experiment.
> You best put your commands in shell scripts and configure mythtv to
> run those shell scripts. This way it will be easier to maintain. Put
> those shell scripts in the home directory of the user running the
> backends, this way you are sure it has full rights to execute them.
>

> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens
>

> I left the RPi as the master and deleted all capture cards and
reconfigured them with recording priorities of 1 for each of the first
tuners of the two HDHRs which are set to grab EPG data from my two sources.
The second two tuners of each of the HDHRs are configured in the slave BE
with rec priorities of 3 and the two PCIe tuners are configured in the
slave with rec priorities of 5. The internet card of the slave does not
support WOL, but my index finger works very well. Last night's first NFL
preseason was recorded to the slave's Terabyte drive and thankfully left
the 64GB SD card in the RPi unused. Thanks for all the responses, and my
deepest gratitude to this Myth community for developing such a complex,
diverse, and malleable system. Daryl