Mailing List Archive

Re: Mythv setup can't connect - to me (solved)
On 28/06/2023 00:42, James Abernathy wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 4:35?PM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 27/06/2023 19:50, James Abernathy wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 1:11?PM Mike Perkins <
>> mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>

>> plus

>> telling

>> machine.
>> machine.

>> the

>>> I'm currently testing a Debian 12 bookworm VM minimal server. I build the
>>> packages for mythtv per the mythtv wiki for Debian install plus some
>> tweaks
>> I'm
>>> using mariadb-server I made the changes in
>>> /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/80-mythtv.cnf so I could have a remote
>> frontend.
>>> I included:
>>> # Additions from MythTV:
>>> [mysqld]
>>> bind-address=*
>>> max_connections=100
>>>
>>> I can run mythtv-setup via ssh logging in with:
>>> ssh -X jim@192.168.0.205
>>>
>>> I can also run mythfrontend to test everything except video playback.
>>>
>>> To actually watch video from this VM backend I use mythfrontend using
>> this
>>> command and options because my host machine is Debian 12 Wayland Plasma
>> KDE:
>>>
>>> mythfrontend --platform xcb --noupnp -O libCECEnabled=0
>>>
>>> If you don't include the --platform xcb it will try the wayland platform
>>> which didn't work well on my UHD 4K TV.
>>>
>>> Maybe some of this helps your situation.
>>>
>> I can ssh in fine. The backend won't run until I go through mythtv-setup;
>> and that won't run because
>> of the problem I originally mentioned.
>>
>> Use of mysql/mariadb is not important here. The backend ran originally and
>> upgraded the (mariadb)
>> database fine. I can log into mysql and SHOW TABLES; for mythconverg fine.
>>
>> I just can't run the setup over my VM arrangement.
>>
>> I have also tried it from a stand-alone workstation. Same response.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Perkins
>>

> I went back and created a Debian 12 minimal server VM and then installed
> deb-multimedia repo. I installed mariadb-server and created my mythtv user
> and group so I could control the gid and uid.
>
> I ran ssh -X mythtv@<ip> and apt install mythtv.
>
> The first time I ran mythtv-setup it crashed, then the second time it
> segment faulted. The third time it worked and I configured it. But I
> forgot to create the storage group directories. So I exited, set up the
> dirs, and then reran mythtv-setup. I got it working and running but now I
> can't get it to say running. It's not anything I've seen before.
>
> IMO, you'd spend less time just building from source and packages using the
> wiki for Debian install. It's been working for a few weeks now for me. On
> my test system the Debian 12 backend is a KVM/QEMU VM. And the host is a
> Debian 12 Plasma DE.

Solved!

I had, as I described, spun up a simple Debian bookworm QEMU VM with nothing on it but the base and ssh.

Now, what I customarily do when I build a normal host, is to add some other personal quirks such as
intel-microcode, firmware-misc-nonfree and occasionally firmware-realtek if the board requires it.

I also add the following line to /etc/pam.d/su:

session optional pam_xauth.so

I had forgotten to do any of this for this VM. Most are not required, being a VM, but the extra line
in the pam.d/su file definitely is. I added that and, hey presto! Everything bursts into life.

Note that my ssh command has -Y not -X since I required root to run apt. I very rarely bother with sudo.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. It is how this community works, and it works well.

--

Mike Perkins