Mailing List Archive

Mythv setup can't connect - to me
I have spun up a VM to test out fixes/33 from deb-multimedia before I attempt anything non-reversable.

This is a clean install of Debian bookworm with nothing but the base plus ssh.

Once I figured out how to pull in the repo, it installed a whole load of stuff and then told me that
it didn't need most of it. Idid an Apt autremove and then rebooted.

The backend started, updated the (blank) database and then looped telling me to use setup to
initialise it. However, when I start mythtv-setup - as the mythv user, natch - I get this:

$ mythtv-setup
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling
the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, xcb.

Aborted
$

Now this setup is not standard but I can imagine that it isn't that unorthodox.

* The system is built as a KVM guest running bookworm inside a big host.
* I am ssh'ing into it from another guest which is our main work machine.
* I am using x2go to connect from a thin client into the main work machine.

Now all the KVM guests have spice and I've never had any problem connecting from one to another and
seeing the results locally. I have even connected from our main machine to the (separate) server
running zoneminder and watched full video running through the links to the thin client!

Any thoughts?

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Mythv setup can't connect - to me [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 1:11?PM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> I have spun up a VM to test out fixes/33 from deb-multimedia before I
> attempt anything non-reversable.
>
> This is a clean install of Debian bookworm with nothing but the base plus
> ssh.
>
> Once I figured out how to pull in the repo, it installed a whole load of
> stuff and then told me that
> it didn't need most of it. Idid an Apt autremove and then rebooted.
>
> The backend started, updated the (blank) database and then looped telling
> me to use setup to
> initialise it. However, when I start mythtv-setup - as the mythv user,
> natch - I get this:
>
> $ mythtv-setup
> qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
> qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even
> though it was found.
> This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be
> initialized. Reinstalling
> the application may fix this problem.
>
> Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl,
> offscreen, vnc, xcb.
>
> Aborted
> $
>
> Now this setup is not standard but I can imagine that it isn't that
> unorthodox.
>
> * The system is built as a KVM guest running bookworm inside a big host.
> * I am ssh'ing into it from another guest which is our main work machine.
> * I am using x2go to connect from a thin client into the main work machine.
>
> Now all the KVM guests have spice and I've never had any problem
> connecting from one to another and
> seeing the results locally. I have even connected from our main machine to
> the (separate) server
> running zoneminder and watched full video running through the links to the
> thin client!
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

I'm currently testing a Debian 12 bookworm VM minimal server. I build the
packages for mythtv per the mythtv wiki for Debian install plus some tweaks
using mariadb-server I made the changes in
/etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/80-mythtv.cnf so I could have a remote frontend.
I included:
# Additions from MythTV:
[mysqld]
bind-address=*
max_connections=100

I can run mythtv-setup via ssh logging in with:
ssh -X jim@192.168.0.205

I can also run mythfrontend to test everything except video playback.

To actually watch video from this VM backend I use mythfrontend using this
command and options because my host machine is Debian 12 Wayland Plasma KDE:

mythfrontend --platform xcb --noupnp -O libCECEnabled=0

If you don't include the --platform xcb it will try the wayland platform
which didn't work well on my UHD 4K TV.

Maybe some of this helps your situation.

Jim A
Re: Mythv setup can't connect - to me [ In reply to ]
On 27/06/2023 19:50, James Abernathy wrote:
> [...]
> using mariadb-server I made the changes in
> /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/80-mythtv.cnf so I could have a remote frontend.
> I included:
> # Additions from MythTV:
> [mysqld]
> bind-address=*
> max_connections=100
>
> I can run mythtv-setup via ssh logging in with:
> ssh -X jim@192.168.0.205
>
> I can also run mythfrontend to test everything except video playback.
>
> To actually watch video from this VM backend I use mythfrontend using this
> command and options because my host machine is Debian 12 Wayland Plasma KDE:
>
> mythfrontend --platform xcb --noupnp -O libCECEnabled=0
>
> If you don't include the --platform xcb it will try the wayland platform
> which didn't work well on my UHD 4K TV.
>
> Maybe some of this helps your situation.

I can ssh in fine. The backend won't run until I go through mythtv-setup; and that won't run because
of the problem I originally mentioned.

Use of mysql/mariadb is not important here. The backend ran originally and upgraded the (mariadb)
database fine. I can log into mysql and SHOW TABLES; for mythconverg fine.

I just can't run the setup over my VM arrangement.

I have also tried it from a stand-alone workstation. Same response.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Mythv setup can't connect - to me [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 4:35?PM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> [...]
> this
> > command and options because my host machine is Debian 12 Wayland Plasma
> KDE:
> >
> > mythfrontend --platform xcb --noupnp -O libCECEnabled=0
> >
> > If you don't include the --platform xcb it will try the wayland platform
> > which didn't work well on my UHD 4K TV.
> >
> > Maybe some of this helps your situation.
> >
> I can ssh in fine. The backend won't run until I go through mythtv-setup;
> and that won't run because
> of the problem I originally mentioned.
>
> Use of mysql/mariadb is not important here. The backend ran originally and
> upgraded the (mariadb)
> database fine. I can log into mysql and SHOW TABLES; for mythconverg fine.
>
> I just can't run the setup over my VM arrangement.
>
> I have also tried it from a stand-alone workstation. Same response.

I went back and created a Debian 12 minimal server VM and then installed
deb-multimedia repo. I installed mariadb-server and created my mythtv user
and group so I could control the gid and uid.

I ran ssh -X mythtv@<ip> and apt install mythtv.

The first time I ran mythtv-setup it crashed, then the second time it
segment faulted. The third time it worked and I configured it. But I
forgot to create the storage group directories. So I exited, set up the
dirs, and then reran mythtv-setup. I got it working and running but now I
can't get it to say running. It's not anything I've seen before.

IMO, you'd spend less time just building from source and packages using the
wiki for Debian install. It's been working for a few weeks now for me. On
my test system the Debian 12 backend is a KVM/QEMU VM. And the host is a
Debian 12 Plasma DE.

Jim A

Jim A