Mailing List Archive

help building for osx
Hi
My main frontend is a mac pegged at High Sierra.
I want to play with features in master so I must build for High Sierra.
That fails

HOSTLD ffbuild/bin2c
xcrun -sdk macosx metal libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metal -o libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metal.air
xcrun -sdk macosx metallib --split-module-without-linking libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metal.air -o libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metallib
metallib: Unknown command line argument '--split-module-without-linking'. Try: '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/usr/bin/metallib -help'
metallib: Did you mean '-split-module'?
make[2]: *** [libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metallib] Error 1
rm libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metal.air
make[1]: *** [FFmpeg-all] Error 2
make: *** [external] Error 2
Compiling Mythtv failed`

If anybody can guide me then please do.

Al the mythtv programs DID build, so If I take my existing /Application/Mythtv.app and replace libs and executables would that work?
The mac echo system is alien to me.
Thanks
James
Re: help building for osx [ In reply to ]
> On Jun 7, 2023, at 2:44 AM, James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>
> Hi
> My main frontend is a mac pegged at High Sierra.
> I want to play with features in master so I must build for High Sierra.
> That fails
>
> HOSTLD ffbuild/bin2c
> xcrun -sdk macosx metal libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metal -o libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metal.air
> xcrun -sdk macosx metallib --split-module-without-linking libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metal.air -o libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metallib
> metallib: Unknown command line argument '--split-module-without-linking'. Try: '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/usr/bin/metallib -help'
> metallib: Did you mean '-split-module'?
> make[2]: *** [libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metallib] Error 1
> rm libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metal.air
> make[1]: *** [FFmpeg-all] Error 2

I see references to metal above. I’m thinking maybe metal wasn’t available in High Sierra, but I defer to those more knowledgeable about such things.

On another note, you could run a virtualbox Ubuntu VM and it would work. You would need an older version of Virtualbox, which are downloadable still.

I don’t know how far back you would have to go as far as version of virtualbox to use.

Alternatively you could install a recent version of Ubuntu or your favorite linux flavor, replacing macOS. High Sierra is several versions out of date now, whereas a new linux version directly installed on it would still be supported and upgradeable.

Re: help building for osx [ In reply to ]
> On 7 Jun 2023, at 8:08 pm, Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 7, 2023, at 2:44 AM, James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> My main frontend is a mac pegged at High Sierra.
>> I want to play with features in master so I must build for High Sierra.
>> That fails
>>
>> HOSTLD ffbuild/bin2c
>> xcrun -sdk macosx metal libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metal -o libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metal.air
>> xcrun -sdk macosx metallib --split-module-without-linking libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metal.air -o libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metallib
>> metallib: Unknown command line argument '--split-module-without-linking'. Try: '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/usr/bin/metallib -help'
>> metallib: Did you mean '-split-module'?
>> make[2]: *** [libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metallib] Error 1
>> rm libavfilter/metal/vf_yadif_videotoolbox.metal.air
>> make[1]: *** [FFmpeg-all] Error 2
>

> I see references to metal above. I’m thinking maybe metal wasn’t available in High Sierra, but I defer to those more knowledgeable about such things.
>
> On another note, you could run a virtualbox Ubuntu VM and it would work. You would need an older version of Virtualbox, which are downloadable still.
>
> I don’t know how far back you would have to go as far as version of virtualbox to use.
>
> Alternatively you could install a recent version of Ubuntu or your favorite linux flavor, replacing macOS. High Sierra is several versions out of date now, whereas a new linux version directly installed on it would still be supported and upgradeable.

Ta
uber tricky. That machine runs linux (i27) really nicely BUT it gets hot. Apple sleep unworking CPU linux throttles them. So (a) it hotter and (b) the fans are noisy. I do nothing (mac ports :-) appleish so everything is good except the heat.
James