My computer was acting slow, and I noticed 20MB/s of incoming network activity. I was not accessing the internet, so I tried to
figure out what was downloading on my machine.

System Monitor would tell me the network activity, but not which application was transferring data.

I looked at disk activity, and there was almost nothing.

I checked mythweb and Mythtv Webfrontend, and both claimed all tuners were idle.

I went and looked at the status lights of my HDTV tuners, and three of the four showed one of their tuners active.

I went to HDHomeRunConfig, and found that each box had a tuner active.

It should not be so difficult to figure out what is accessing the network.
Re: Status display on Mythweb and MythTV Webfrontend... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 at 01:28, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Why do both mythweb and MythTV Webfrontend both report "idle" for tuners
> that are running an EPG guide scan?

This is because these tuners are idle, in the sense that they can be used
at any moment for a recording or for live TV.
The EIT scanning is done kind of "under de hood" with tuners that are, yes,
idle...

> My computer was acting slow, and I noticed 20MB/s of incoming network
> activity. I was not accessing the internet, so I tried to
> figure out what was downloading on my machine.
>
> System Monitor would tell me the network activity, but not which
> application was transferring data.
>
> I looked at disk activity, and there was almost nothing.
>
> I checked mythweb and Mythtv Webfrontend, and both claimed all tuners were
> idle.
>
> I went and looked at the status lights of my HDTV tuners, and three of the
> four showed one of their tuners active.
>
> I went to HDHomeRunConfig, and found that each box had a tuner active.
>
> It should not be so difficult to figure out what is accessing the network.
>
> There are a number of issues with the way EIT currently works, and the
lack of visibility of what is happening is definitely one of them.

About EIT scanning with HDHomeRuns, please note that EIT only works on the
first tuner of one HDHomeRun box.
See
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#EIT_program_guide_information
for the details.

Also, you need only one tuner for each video source to be configured for
EIT; the guide data is collected per video source and is used for all
tuners connected to that video source. If you have multiple HDHomeRun boxes
all receiving the same signal and connected to the same video source then
one tuner is needed for EIT.

Klaas.
Re: Status display on Mythweb and MythTV Webfrontend... [ In reply to ]
> On 6 Jun 2023, at 22:16, Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 at 01:28, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale@comcast.net <mailto:Douglas_Peale@comcast.net>> wrote:
> Why do both mythweb and MythTV Webfrontend both report "idle" for tuners that are running an EPG guide scan?
>
> This is because these tuners are idle, in the sense that they can be used at any moment for a recording or for live TV.
> The EIT scanning is done kind of "under de hood" with tuners that are, yes, idle…

There is an option to only scan for EIT while recording. That will avoid the issue altogether.

Downside is that if your recordings are few and far between, then the guide data won’t be collected often. Also, and I don’t know if this is actually a problem anywhere, it won’t work very well if the data isn’t transmitted on all muxes - e.g. if only guide data for channels on that mux are transmitted. You’d have to record a program off each mux to collect all guide data if that was the case.

Simon
Re: Status display on Mythweb and MythTV Webfrontend... [ In reply to ]
On 07/06/2023 20:26, Simon wrote:

>> On 6 Jun 2023, at 22:16, Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal@gmail.com
>> <mailto:klaas.de.waal@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 at 01:28, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale@comcast.net
>> <mailto:Douglas_Peale@comcast.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Why do both mythweb and MythTV Webfrontend both report "idle" for
>> tuners that are running an EPG guide scan?
>>

>> This is because these tuners are idle, in the sense that they can be
>> used at any moment for a recording or for live TV.
>> The EIT scanning is done kind of "under de hood" with tuners that are,
>> yes, idle…
>
> There is an option to only scan for EIT while recording. That will avoid
> the issue altogether.
>
> Downside is that if your recordings are few and far between, then the
> guide data won’t be collected often. Also, and I don’t know if this is
> actually a problem anywhere, it won’t work very well if the data isn’t
> transmitted on all muxes - e.g. if only guide data for channels on that
> mux are transmitted. You’d have to record a program off each mux to
> collect all guide data if that was the case.
>
> Simon

I have never given this 'feature' much thought, since things usually
work, but I see a big difference between two independent FE/BE boxes
with similar old 2-core hardware. In normal quiet operation 'atop'
shows a mythbackend CPU load of 2% for one and 18% for the other.

Both use EIT only. IIRC the main difference is that the first has only
DVB-T tuners and one declared video source, while the second has both
DVB-T/T2 and DVB-T tuners declared as separate video sources. Both
boxes have been set up like this 'for years'. Might it be worth trying
a change?

The mythfrontend > Information Centre > Machine Status > Load
figures are typically ( 0.35 0.30 0.25 ) and ( 0.85 0.75 0.70 )

John P