problems.

Turns out the new Ubuntu PPA for v33 on Ubuntu for 23.04 install creates
the user "mythtv" with a home of /nonexistent as the directory. This messes
everything up. All the current instructions for setting up a backend with
XMLTV have to be changed or do as I did and fix the user mythtv back to
/home/mythtv as normal per the documentation.

What am I missing?

Jim A
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Monday 24 April 2023 04:27:10 PM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:

> I tried to install mythtv on a Ubuntu 23.04 RPI4. Everything went as
> expected until I tried to set up XMLTV according to the wiki. Lots of
> problems.
>
> Turns out the new Ubuntu PPA for v33 on Ubuntu for 23.04 install creates
> the user "mythtv" with a home of /nonexistent as the directory. This
messes
> everything up. All the current instructions for setting up a backend
with
> XMLTV have to be changed or do as I did and fix the user mythtv back to
> /home/mythtv as normal per the documentation.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Jim A

Not a change in the v33 PPA. But it is now.
In 23.04, the adduser command creates system users with /nonexistant unless
the --home <dir>
option is specified (and it wasn't in mythtv-common.postinst).

Just pushed the fix for v33 and master.
--
Bill
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 24, 2023, 7:32 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 24 April 2023 04:27:10 PM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:
>
> > I tried to install mythtv on a Ubuntu 23.04 RPI4. Everything went as
> > expected until I tried to set up XMLTV according to the wiki. Lots of
> > problems.
> >
> > Turns out the new Ubuntu PPA for v33 on Ubuntu for 23.04 install creates
> > the user "mythtv" with a home of /nonexistent as the directory. This
> messes
> > everything up. All the current instructions for setting up a backend
> with
> > XMLTV have to be changed or do as I did and fix the user mythtv back to
> > /home/mythtv as normal per the documentation.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > Jim A
> >

> Not a change in the v33 PPA. But it is now.
> In 23.04, the adduser command creates system users with /nonexistant
> unless
> the --home <dir>
> option is specified (and it wasn't in mythtv-common.postinst).
>
> Just pushed the fix for v33 and master.
> --
> Bill

Thanks. I'll retest tomorrow. I'm trying to update my RPI4 instructions for
Ubuntu 23.04 and MythTV v33. Should be almost identical to Ubuntu 22.10.

Jim A
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 7:44?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2023, 7:32 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Monday 24 April 2023 04:27:10 PM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:
>>
>> > I tried to install mythtv on a Ubuntu 23.04 RPI4. Everything went as
>> > expected until I tried to set up XMLTV according to the wiki. Lots of
>> > problems.
>> >
>> > Turns out the new Ubuntu PPA for v33 on Ubuntu for 23.04 install
>> creates
>> > the user "mythtv" with a home of /nonexistent as the directory. This
>> messes
>> > everything up. All the current instructions for setting up a backend
>> with
>> > XMLTV have to be changed or do as I did and fix the user mythtv back to
>> > /home/mythtv as normal per the documentation.
>> >
>> > What am I missing?
>> >
>> > Jim A
>> >

>> Not a change in the v33 PPA. But it is now.
>> In 23.04, the adduser command creates system users with /nonexistant
>> unless
>> the --home <dir>
>> option is specified (and it wasn't in mythtv-common.postinst).
>>
>> Just pushed the fix for v33 and master.
>> --
>> Bill
>>

> Thanks. I'll retest tomorrow. I'm trying to update my RPI4 instructions
> for Ubuntu 23.04 and MythTV v33. Should be almost identical to Ubuntu 22.10.
>
> Jim A

Not sure if I waited long enough? but at 7:20AM EDT this morning I tried
again on a fresh install of Ubuntu23.04 on my Raspberry Pi 4 and got the
same /nonexistent/.mythtv directory stuff. When should I try??

Jim A
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On 25/04/2023 12:24, James Abernathy wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 7:44?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> creates
>>> messes
>>> with

>>> Not a change in the v33 PPA. But it is now.
>>> In 23.04, the adduser command creates system users with /nonexistant
>>> unless
>>> the --home <dir>
>>> option is specified (and it wasn't in mythtv-common.postinst).
>>>
>>> Just pushed the fix for v33 and master.
>>> --
>>> Bill
>>>

>> Thanks. I'll retest tomorrow. I'm trying to update my RPI4 instructions
>> for Ubuntu 23.04 and MythTV v33. Should be almost identical to Ubuntu 22.10.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> Not sure if I waited long enough? but at 7:20AM EDT this morning I tried
> again on a fresh install of Ubuntu23.04 on my Raspberry Pi 4 and got the
> same /nonexistent/.mythtv directory stuff. When should I try??
>
> Jim A

Alternatively you could just create the mythtv user yourself (with sensible arguments) before
running that step.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 25, 2023, 1:46 PM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 25/04/2023 12:24, James Abernathy wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 7:44?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> as
> of

> This
> backend
> back to

> >> Thanks. I'll retest tomorrow. I'm trying to update my RPI4 instructions
> >> for Ubuntu 23.04 and MythTV v33. Should be almost identical to Ubuntu
> 22.10.
> >>
> >> Jim A
> >>

> > Not sure if I waited long enough? but at 7:20AM EDT this morning I tried
> > again on a fresh install of Ubuntu23.04 on my Raspberry Pi 4 and got the
> > same /nonexistent/.mythtv directory stuff. When should I try??
> >
> > Jim A
> >
> Alternatively you could just create the mythtv user yourself (with
> sensible arguments) before
> running that step.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

Oh, I know how. I just want to document how someone else should do it. I'll
wait until the fix makes it to Luna repository for v33.

Jim A
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 1:52?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2023, 1:46 PM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 25/04/2023 12:24, James Abernathy wrote:

>> as
>> Lots of

>> This
>> backend
>> back to

>> 22.10.

>> > Not sure if I waited long enough? but at 7:20AM EDT this morning I tried
>> > again on a fresh install of Ubuntu23.04 on my Raspberry Pi 4 and got the
>> > same /nonexistent/.mythtv directory stuff. When should I try??
>> >
>> > Jim A
>> >
>> Alternatively you could just create the mythtv user yourself (with
>> sensible arguments) before
>> running that step.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Perkins

I think it's been long enough that the updates should have made it out of
the system. I did a fresh VM of Ubuntu 23.04 and then did:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/33

apt-cache policy mythtv show:

Candidate: 2:33.1+fixes.202304240647.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1

I then did:

sudo apt install mythtv

The only question during install was "Will other computers run MythTV?" and
I said yes.

I ran mythtv-setup next and it asked about adding user to mythv.

After reboot there was no /home/mythtv only /nonexistent/.mythtv

in /etc/passwd:

mythtv:x:125:131 ::/nonexistent:/bin/sh

Obviously, I could have created the user ahead of time, but that's a new
step to document:

sudo useradd -m -s /bin/bash mythtv

Did this change not really make it out yet??

Jim A
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On 26/04/2023 12:31, James Abernathy wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 1:52?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Apr 25, 2023, 1:46 PM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> as
>>> Lots of

>>> This
>>> backend
>>> back to

>>> 22.10.

>>> Alternatively you could just create the mythtv user yourself (with
>>> sensible arguments) before
>>> running that step.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Mike Perkins
>>

> I think it's been long enough that the updates should have made it out of
> the system. I did a fresh VM of Ubuntu 23.04 and then did:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/33
>
> apt-cache policy mythtv show:
>
> Candidate: 2:33.1+fixes.202304240647.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1
>
> I then did:
>
> sudo apt install mythtv
>
> The only question during install was "Will other computers run MythTV?" and
> I said yes.
>
> I ran mythtv-setup next and it asked about adding user to mythv.
>
> After reboot there was no /home/mythtv only /nonexistent/.mythtv
>
> in /etc/passwd:
>
> mythtv:x:125:131 ::/nonexistent:/bin/sh
>
> Obviously, I could have created the user ahead of time, but that's a new
> step to document:
>
> sudo useradd -m -s /bin/bash mythtv
>
> Did this change not really make it out yet??

A quick note: If you add the mythtv user yourself, make sure it has a repeatable UID and GID,
otherwise, should there be any new users added to your system(s) in future, you'll get drift and
have to fix all the directories and files to point to the new values.

Ask me how I know! In practice I deliberately set mine to UID=1010 and GID=1010 just to keep them
clear of future problems.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 26 April 2023 06:31:06 AM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 1:52?PM James Abernathy

> wrote:

> > On Tue, Apr 25, 2023, 1:46 PM Mike Perkins

> > wrote:

> >> as

> >> Lots of

> >> This

> >> backend

> >> back to

> >> 22.10.

> >> Alternatively you could just create the mythtv user yourself (with

> >> sensible arguments) before

> >> running that step.

> >> --

> >> Mike Perkins

> I think it's been long enough that the updates should have made it out of

> the system. I did a fresh VM of Ubuntu 23.04 and then did:

> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/33

> apt-cache policy mythtv show:

> Candidate: 2:33.1+fixes.202304240647.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1

> I then did:

> sudo apt install mythtv

> The only question during install was "Will other computers run MythTV?" and

> I said yes.

> I ran mythtv-setup next and it asked about adding user to mythv.

> After reboot there was no /home/mythtv only /nonexistent/.mythtv

> in /etc/passwd:

> mythtv:x:125:131 ::/nonexistent:/bin/sh

> Obviously, I could have created the user ahead of time, but that's a new

> step to document:

> sudo useradd -m -s /bin/bash mythtv

> Did this change not really make it out yet??

> Jim A

No, I reverted the patch last night. Builds are failing: https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33/
The patch itself is very simple itself. Hang on.

--
Bill
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]

No problem, thanks.

Jim A
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 7:40?AM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> A quick note: If you add the mythtv user yourself, make sure it has a
> repeatable UID and GID,
> otherwise, should there be any new users added to your system(s) in
> future, you'll get drift and
> have to fix all the directories and files to point to the new values.
>
> Ask me how I know! In practice I deliberately set mine to UID=1010 and
> GID=1010 just to keep them
> clear of future problems.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

Thanks for the tip. I have noticed when I create a new version of Ubuntu
with a fresh install of MythTV, I have to do a lot of chown commands when
bringing over my recordings from an old system before restoring the
mythconverg database.

So is UID 1010 and GID 1010 in a range that ubuntu will not use for its
purposes?

Jim A
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On 4/26/23 09:11, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 7:40?AM Mike Perkins
> <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>

> A quick note: If you add the mythtv user yourself, make sure it
> has a repeatable UID and GID,
> otherwise, should there be any new users added to your system(s)
> in future, you'll get drift and
> have to fix all the directories and files to point to the new values.
>
> Ask me how I know! In practice I deliberately set mine to UID=1010
> and GID=1010 just to keep them
> clear of future problems.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins
>

> Thanks for the tip.  I have noticed when I create a new version of
> Ubuntu with a fresh install of MythTV, I have to do a lot of chown
> commands when bringing over my recordings from an old system before
> restoring the mythconverg database.
>
> So is UID 1010 and GID 1010 in a range that ubuntu will not use for
> its purposes?
>
> Jim A

The mythtv user as created by the package is a system user id. These are
allocated in the range 100 to 999. I use an id of 200 for the mythtv
user and mythtv group. System users are those that are never logged on
directly, and thus do not appear in the drop down of users at the login
screen. I would recommend using an id in the system range (100-999). 200
is good because it will not have been used yet. When you install ubuntu
it allocates many ids in the system range, starting from 100. It is
unlikely to reach 200 before you install mythtv. The allocation of
system ids is clever enough not to have a problem with the extra id of
200 you add. Subsequent application installs will continue to use ids in
the 100 range and will skip id 200 if it is already used.

This is what I use. Does this create a home directory or do I need
--home /home/mythtv on the adduser on the next version of ubuntu?

addgroup --gid 200 mythtv
adduser --ingroup mythtv --system --uid 200 mythtv

Peter
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 26 April 2023 08:30:52 AM (-05:00), Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 4/26/23 09:11, James Abernathy wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 7:40?AM Mike Perkins wrote:
> >

> > A quick note: If you add the mythtv user yourself, make sure it
> > has a repeatable UID and GID,
> > otherwise, should there be any new users added to your system(s)
> > in future, you'll get drift and
> > have to fix all the directories and files to point to the new values.
> >
> > Ask me how I know! In practice I deliberately set mine to UID=1010
> > and GID=1010 just to keep them
> > clear of future problems.
> >
> > --
> > Mike Perkins
> >

> > Thanks for the tip. I have noticed when I create a new version of Ubuntu with a fresh install of MythTV, I have to do a lot of chown commands when bringing over my recordings from an old system before restoring the mythconverg database.
> >
> > So is UID 1010 and GID 1010 in a range that ubuntu will not use for its purposes?
> >
> > Jim A

> The mythtv user as created by the package is a system user id. These are allocated in the range 100 to 999. I use an id of 200 for the mythtv user and mythtv group. System users are those that are never logged on directly, and thus do not appear in the drop down of users at the login screen. I would recommend using an id in the system range (100-999). 200 is good because it will not have been used yet. When you install ubuntu it allocates many ids in the system range, starting from 100. It is unlikely to reach 200 before you install mythtv. The allocation of system ids is clever enough not to have a problem with the extra id of 200 you add. Subsequent application installs will continue to use ids in the 100 range and will skip id 200 if it is already used.
>
> This is what I use. Does this create a home directory or do I need --home /home/mythtv on the adduser on the next version of ubuntu?
>
> addgroup --gid 200 mythtv
> adduser --ingroup mythtv --system --uid 200 mythtv
>
> Peter

In 23.04, -home /home/mythtv must be added. Otherwise adduser will put /nonexistant where the home would be.
--
Bill
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On 26/04/2023 13:37, Bill Meek wrote:

> No, I reverted the patch last night. Builds are failing:
> https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33/
> The patch itself is very simple itself. Hang on.

The master Ubuntu builds have been failing for a while. It was broken by
Klaas by his default theme changes which always breaks the patch to make
the Ubuntu theme the default in the Ubuntu packages. I did warn Peter a
few weeks ago about it I guess he never passed the info on :( I see
Mario did fix the patch yesterday around the same time as your commit so
I think you just need to re-apply  your patch and wait for the daily
build to rebuild the packages.

Like I told Peter and a few others I am taking an extended break from
MythTV so wont be monitoring the lists or forum as often as I used to
and someone else will have to maintain the PPA's etc.

Paul H.
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 9:37?AM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 April 2023 08:30:52 AM (-05:00), Peter Bennett wrote:
>

> > On 4/26/23 09:11, James Abernathy wrote:
> > >

> > > On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 7:40?AM Mike Perkins wrote:
> > >

> > > A quick note: If you add the mythtv user yourself, make sure it
> > > has a repeatable UID and GID,
> > > otherwise, should there be any new users added to your system(s)
> > > in future, you'll get drift and
> > > have to fix all the directories and files to point to the new
> values.
> > >
> > > Ask me how I know! In practice I deliberately set mine to UID=1010
> > > and GID=1010 just to keep them
> > > clear of future problems.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mike Perkins
> > >

> > > Thanks for the tip. I have noticed when I create a new version of
> Ubuntu with a fresh install of MythTV, I have to do a lot of chown commands
> when bringing over my recordings from an old system before restoring the
> mythconverg database.
> > >
> > > So is UID 1010 and GID 1010 in a range that ubuntu will not use for
> its purposes?
> > >
> > > Jim A

> > The mythtv user as created by the package is a system user id. These are
> allocated in the range 100 to 999. I use an id of 200 for the mythtv user
> and mythtv group. System users are those that are never logged on directly,
> and thus do not appear in the drop down of users at the login screen. I
> would recommend using an id in the system range (100-999). 200 is good
> because it will not have been used yet. When you install ubuntu it
> allocates many ids in the system range, starting from 100. It is unlikely
> to reach 200 before you install mythtv. The allocation of system ids is
> clever enough not to have a problem with the extra id of 200 you add.
> Subsequent application installs will continue to use ids in the 100 range
> and will skip id 200 if it is already used.
> >
> > This is what I use. Does this create a home directory or do I need
> --home /home/mythtv on the adduser on the next version of ubuntu?
> >
> > addgroup --gid 200 mythtv
> > adduser --ingroup mythtv --system --uid 200 mythtv
> >
> > Peter
>
> In 23.04, -home /home/mythtv must be added. Otherwise adduser will put
> /nonexistant where the home would be.
> --
> Bill

IMHO I'd suggest not use the --system option on adduser and use the
--shell /bin/bash. The reasoning is that most of the documentation on how
to work with mythfilldatabase is to do that as user 'mythtv'. Especially
if you do XMLTV. To do that right you need to sudo su mythtv and then run
the tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite commands.

Jim A
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 26 April 2023 10:51:36 AM (-05:00), Paul Harrison wrote:

> On 26/04/2023 13:37, Bill Meek wrote:
>
> > No, I reverted the patch last night. Builds are failing:
https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33/
> > The patch itself is very simple itself. Hang on.
> >

> The master Ubuntu builds have been failing for a while. It was broken by
Klaas by his default theme changes which always breaks the patch to make
the Ubuntu theme the default in the Ubuntu packages. I did warn Peter a few
weeks ago about it I guess he never passed the info on :( I see Mario did
fix the patch yesterday around the same time as your commit so I think you
just need to re-apply your patch and wait for the daily build to rebuild
the packages.

> Like I told Peter and a few others I am taking an extended break from
MythTV so wont be monitoring the lists or forum as often as I used to and
someone else will have to maintain the PPA's etc.

> Paul H.

Thanks Paul. I had cherry-picked the fix from my master and that put the
wrong information in changelog* (Roland spotted that too).

Just pushed again to the fixes/33 branch. Let's see if that gets the builds
going or if it's stuck.
--
Bill
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On 26/04/2023 16:51, Paul Harrison wrote:

> On 26/04/2023 13:37, Bill Meek wrote:
>
>> No, I reverted the patch last night. Builds are failing:
>> https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33/
>> The patch itself is very simple itself. Hang on.
>>

> The master Ubuntu builds have been failing for a while. It was broken
> by Klaas by his default theme changes which always breaks the patch to
> make the Ubuntu theme the default in the Ubuntu packages. I did warn
> Peter a few weeks ago about it I guess he never passed the info on :(
> I see Mario did fix the patch yesterday around the same time as your
> commit so I think you just need to re-apply  your patch and wait for
> the daily build to rebuild the packages.
>

> Like I told Peter and a few others I am taking an extended break from
> MythTV so wont be monitoring the lists or forum as often as I used to
> and someone else will have to maintain the PPA's etc.
>

> Paul H.

OK I see what happened now you cherry picked the master commit to
fixes/33 with the same changelog changes that is not going to work
because the package name is picked up from the latest changelog entry.
You don't really need those changlog entries so I would repeat the
commit but remove those changelog changes first.

Paul H.
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On 26/04/2023 20:10, Bill Meek wrote:

> https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33/
> > > The patch itself is very simple itself. Hang on.
> > >
> > > The master Ubuntu builds have been failing for a while. It was
> broken by Klaas by his default theme changes which always breaks the
> patch to make the Ubuntu theme the default in the Ubuntu packages. I
> did warn Peter a few weeks ago about it I guess he never passed the
> info on :( I see Mario did fix the patch yesterday around the same
> time as your commit so I think you just need to re-apply  your patch
> and wait for the daily build to rebuild the packages.
> from MythTV so wont be monitoring the lists or forum as often as I
> used to and someone else will have to maintain the PPA's etc.
>
> Thanks Paul. I had cherry-picked the fix from my master and that put the
> wrong information in changelog* (Roland spotted that too).
>
> Just pushed again to the fixes/33 branch. Let's see if that gets the
> builds
> going or if it's stuck.

Yeah I just spotted the problem with the changlog. I believe fixing that
will get the builds running again.

Paul H.

Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 26 April 2023 08:08:28 AM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 8:37?AM Bill Meek wrote:

> > No, I reverted the patch last night. Builds are failing:
> > https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33/
> > The patch itself is very simple itself. Hang on.
> >
> > --
> > Bill
> >

> No problem, thanks.
>
> Jim A

Paul got the builds going. Completed an hour ago.
And I re-pushed the fix before that.

https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33

Give it a try when you have a chance.

--
Bill
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 10:06?AM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 April 2023 08:08:28 AM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 8:37?AM Bill Meek wrote:

> > > No, I reverted the patch last night. Builds are failing:
> > > https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33/
> > > The patch itself is very simple itself. Hang on.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bill
> > >

> > No problem, thanks.
> >
> > Jim A
> >
> Paul got the builds going. Completed an hour ago.
> And I re-pushed the fix before that.
>

> https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33
>
> Give it a try when you have a chance.
>
> --
> Bill

Probably a dumb question but on my Ubuntu 23.04 VM I see.

jim@ubuntu2:~$ apt-cache policy mythtv
mythtv:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 2:33.1+fixes.202304240647.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1
Version table:
2:33.1+fixes.202304240647.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1 500
500 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mythbuntu/33/ubuntu lunar/main
amd64 Packages
500 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mythbuntu/33/ubuntu lunar/main
i386 Packages
2:33.0+fixes.20230210.026e506-0ubuntu0 500
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lunar/multiverse amd64
Packages
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lunar/multiverse i386
Packages

That's the same version I've been using for the last few days. Should I
wait until that updates to the version:

2:33.1+fixes.202304271226.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1

??
Jim A
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On 27/04/2023 15:38, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 10:06?AM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday 26 April 2023 08:08:28 AM (-05:00), James Abernathy
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 8:37?AM Bill Meek  wrote:

> > > No, I reverted the patch last night. Builds are failing:
> > > https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33/
> > > The patch itself is very simple itself. Hang on.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bill
> > >

> > No problem, thanks.
> >
> > Jim A
> >
> Paul got the builds going. Completed an hour ago.
> And I re-pushed the fix before that.
>

> https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33
>
> Give it a try when you have a chance.
>
> --
> Bill
>

> Probably a dumb question but on my Ubuntu 23.04  VM I see.
>
> jim@ubuntu2:~$ apt-cache policy mythtv
> mythtv:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 2:33.1+fixes.202304240647.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1
>   Version table:
>      2:33.1+fixes.202304240647.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1 500
>         500 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mythbuntu/33/ubuntu
> lunar/main amd64 Packages
>         500 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mythbuntu/33/ubuntu
> lunar/main i386 Packages
>      2:33.0+fixes.20230210.026e506-0ubuntu0 500
>         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lunar/multiverse amd64
> Packages
>         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lunar/multiverse i386
> Packages
>
> That's the same version I've been using for the last few days.  Should
> I wait until that updates to the version:
>
> 2:33.1+fixes.202304271226.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1
>
> ??
>  Jim A

I've managed to fix all the other Ubuntu builds except for fixes/33
Lunar which is still failing.

I don't have time to mess with this right now so it will have to stay
broken until I get time to look why it's failing or someone else manages
to figure it out.

Paul H.
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 4:56?PM Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> On 27/04/2023 15:38, James Abernathy wrote:
>

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 10:06?AM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > No problem, thanks.
>> >
>> > Jim A
>> >
>> Paul got the builds going. Completed an hour ago.
>> And I re-pushed the fix before that.
>>

>> https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33
>>
>> Give it a try when you have a chance.
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>>

> Probably a dumb question but on my Ubuntu 23.04 VM I see.
>
> jim@ubuntu2:~$ apt-cache policy mythtv
> mythtv:
> Installed: (none)
> Candidate: 2:33.1+fixes.202304240647.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1
> Version table:
> 2:33.1+fixes.202304240647.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1 500
> 500 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mythbuntu/33/ubuntu
> lunar/main amd64 Packages
> 500 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mythbuntu/33/ubuntu
> lunar/main i386 Packages
> 2:33.0+fixes.20230210.026e506-0ubuntu0 500
> 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lunar/multiverse amd64
> Packages
> 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lunar/multiverse i386
> Packages
>
> That's the same version I've been using for the last few days. Should I
> wait until that updates to the version:
>
> 2:33.1+fixes.202304271226.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1
>
> ??
> Jim A
>

> I've managed to fix all the other Ubuntu builds except for fixes/33 Lunar
> which is still failing.
>

> I don't have time to mess with this right now so it will have to stay
> broken until I get time to look why it's failing or someone else manages to
> figure it out.
>

> Paul H.

Enabling building for Ubuntu Mantic (23.10) is probably to early.
Ubuntu Lunar is 23.04
Roland
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 27 April 2023 12:59:57 PM (-05:00), Roland Ernst wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 4:56?PM Paul Harrison wrote:
>
> > On 27/04/2023 15:38, James Abernathy wrote:

> >> Paul got the builds going. Completed an hour ago.
> >> And I re-pushed the fix before that.
> >>

> >> https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/33
> >>
> >> Give it a try when you have a chance.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bill
> >>

> > Probably a dumb question but on my Ubuntu 23.04 VM I see.
> >
> > jim@ubuntu2:~$ apt-cache policy mythtv
> > mythtv:
> > Installed: (none)
> > Candidate: 2:33.1+fixes.202304240647.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1
> > Version table:
> > 2:33.1+fixes.202304240647.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1 500
> > 500 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mythbuntu/33/ubuntu
> > lunar/main amd64 Packages
> > 500 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mythbuntu/33/ubuntu
> > lunar/main i386 Packages
> > 2:33.0+fixes.20230210.026e506-0ubuntu0 500
> > 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lunar/multiverse amd64
> > Packages
> > 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lunar/multiverse i386
> > Packages
> >
> > That's the same version I've been using for the last few days. Should I
> > wait until that updates to the version:
> >
> > 2:33.1+fixes.202304271226.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1
> >
> > ??
> > Jim A
> >

> > I've managed to fix all the other Ubuntu builds except for fixes/33 Lunar
> > which is still failing.
> >

> > I don't have time to mess with this right now so it will have to stay
> > broken until I get time to look why it's failing or someone else manages to
> > figure it out.
> >

> > Paul H.
> >

> Enabling building for Ubuntu Mantic (23.10) is probably to early.
> Ubuntu Lunar is 23.04
> Roland

Just pushed corrected timestamps and extra space per
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-dpkgchangelog

If that fails, then I'll use Paul's suggestion and remove the changelog* entries.
--
Bill
Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On 28/04/2023 01:21, Bill Meek wrote:
>> Enabling building for Ubuntu Mantic (23.10) is probably to early.
>> Ubuntu Lunar is 23.04
>> Roland
>
> Just pushed corrected timestamps and extra space per
> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-dpkgchangelog
>
> If that fails, then I'll use Paul's suggestion and remove the changelog* entries.

The Lunar build should be good now.

There is something wrong with the Manic builder, it's using the same
name (mythtv - 2:33.1+fixes.202304281018.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1 notice
23.04.1 not 23.10) for the package name same as the Lunar packages which
causes a clash so the second one to build will fail. Not sure if it's a
Launchpad bug or something in our build script? For now I've just
disabled Manic in both master and fixes/33.

Paul H.

Re: To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 12:32?PM Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> On 28/04/2023 01:21, Bill Meek wrote:
> >> Enabling building for Ubuntu Mantic (23.10) is probably to early.
> >> Ubuntu Lunar is 23.04
> >> Roland
> >
> > Just pushed corrected timestamps and extra space per
> > https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-dpkgchangelog
> >
> > If that fails, then I'll use Paul's suggestion and remove the changelog*
> entries.
>

> The Lunar build should be good now.
>
> There is something wrong with the Manic builder, it's using the same
> name (mythtv - 2:33.1+fixes.202304281018.c4b7e4c433~ubuntu23.04.1 notice
> 23.04.1 not 23.10) for the package name same as the Lunar packages which
> causes a clash so the second one to build will fail. Not sure if it's a
> Launchpad bug or something in our build script? For now I've just
> disabled Manic in both master and fixes/33.
>

> Paul H.

Thanks, it's all better now. Just running the install and mythtv-setup
creates user mythtv with its home at /home/mythtv and its shell = /bin/sh.
So you can sudo su mythtv to set up xmltv.

Jim A

1 2  View All