to the Great PVR Yard in the Sky, and the replacement PVR500 found on
eBay has USB and/or power-supply problems:

device descriptor read/64, error -62

This is for recording only in HD, not 4k/6k/8k, from a Spectrum cable TV
feed. The Hauppauge box connects via Firewire to an Arris DCX3200-M.

What's a similar, more recent PVR box that will do the same thing?

Thanks!

dn

Re: Hauppauge PVR500 replacement recommendations? [ In reply to ]
On 17/04/2023 18:44, David Newman wrote:
> Recommendations for replacement of an ancient Hauppauge PVR500?
>
> After being powered on 4/7/365 for 13+ years the old Hauppauge box went
> to the Great PVR Yard in the Sky, and the replacement PVR500 found on
> eBay has USB and/or power-supply problems:
>
> device descriptor read/64, error -62
>
> This is for recording only in HD, not 4k/6k/8k, from a Spectrum cable TV
> feed. The Hauppauge box connects via Firewire to an Arris DCX3200-M.
>
> What's a similar, more recent PVR box that will do the same thing?

The PVR500 was connected to the STB by means of component video, was it?

Is it not time to transition to a fully-digital recording pipeline? If
so here are some ideas:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recording_from_HDMI

Not exactly a drop-in replacement: this is a bit of a project.
Recommendations for replacement of an ancient Hauppauge PVR500?

After being powered on 4/7/365 for 13+ years the old Hauppauge box went
to the Great PVR Yard in the Sky, and the replacement PVR500 found on
eBay has USB and/or power-supply problems:

device descriptor read/64, error -62

This is for recording only in HD, not 4k/6k/8k, from a Spectrum cable TV
feed. The Hauppauge box connects via Firewire to an Arris DCX3200-M.

What's a similar, more recent PVR box that will do the same thing?

Thanks!

dn

It depends,

If you want 5.1 channel surround sound, then a Hauppauge Colossus 2 card is a pretty good option, see this page to set it up:

https://github.com/jpoet/HauppaugeUSB

I've had limited success with the HD PVR 2 USB attached boxes, it seems you have to be very specific with the version that you buy - it must have the Optical input and,. it appears, that it needs to have the micro-USB connector.

If you're not bothered about 5.1 channel surround sound, then I've also had success with a standard HDMI to USB Video Capture card - pretty cheap from Amazon, this is the one I got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08L9KGNLT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,

Dave.
Re: Hauppauge PVR500 replacement recommendations? [ In reply to ]
On 4/17/23 12:54, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 17/04/2023 18:44, David Newman wrote:
>> Recommendations for replacement of an ancient Hauppauge PVR500?
>>
>> After being powered on 4/7/365 for 13+ years the old Hauppauge box went
>> to the Great PVR Yard in the Sky, and the replacement PVR500 found on
>> eBay has USB and/or power-supply problems:
>>
>> device descriptor read/64, error -62
>>
>> This is for recording only in HD, not 4k/6k/8k, from a Spectrum cable TV
>> feed. The Hauppauge box connects via Firewire to an Arris DCX3200-M.
>>
>> What's a similar, more recent PVR box that will do the same thing?
> The PVR500 was connected to the STB by means of component video, was it?
>
> Is it not time to transition to a fully-digital recording pipeline? If
> so here are some ideas:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recording_from_HDMI
>
> Not exactly a drop-in replacement: this is a bit of a project.

I have another solution that I have been using for over 2 years now. The
capture device I use costs around $18.00 from amazon (was $5 two years
ago). Still a lot less than HD PVR.

See https://github.com/bennettpeter/MythTV-LeanCapture#readme

My scripts are customized for Comcast, but something similar could be
done for other cable systems.

Peter