the two Schedules Direct xmltv grabbers? Or a "why choose one over the
other?"

Thanks.
Re: Preferred SD xmltv grabber? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 8:01 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this might be a loaded question, but is there a preferred grabber of the two Schedules Direct xmltv grabbers? Or a "why choose one over the other?"

I am explicitly going to recuse myself from
answering this question because I cannot
legitimately claim a lack of conflict of interest
in the conclusion.

However, perhaps, a more interesting question
might be what do the primary MythTV devs
use between those two grabbers if they use
one of them? One would expect they choose
what works best for them, and they are likely
to be the most demanding and discerning
users of the Schedules Direct feeds.
Re: Preferred SD xmltv grabber? [ In reply to ]
On 2/16/23 22:38, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 8:01 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I know this might be a loaded question, but is there a preferred grabber of the two Schedules Direct xmltv grabbers? Or a "why choose one over the other?"
>>
> I am explicitly going to recuse myself from
> answering this question because I cannot
> legitimately claim a lack of conflict of interest
> in the conclusion.
>
> However, perhaps, a more interesting question
> might be what do the primary MythTV devs
> use between those two grabbers if they use
> one of them? One would expect they choose
> what works best for them, and they are likely
> to be the most demanding and discerning
> users of the Schedules Direct feeds.

I use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite and I recommend it.

Peter

Re: Preferred SD xmltv grabber? [ In reply to ]
On 17/02/2023 15:26, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 2/16/23 22:38, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 8:01 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I know this might be a loaded question, but is there a preferred grabber of the two Schedules
>>> Direct xmltv grabbers? Or a "why choose one over the other?"
>>>
>> I am explicitly going to recuse myself from
>> answering this question because I cannot
>> legitimately claim a lack of conflict of interest
>> in the conclusion.
>>
>> However, perhaps, a more interesting question
>> might be what do the primary MythTV devs
>> use between those two grabbers if they use
>> one of them?  One would expect they choose
>> what works best for them, and they are likely
>> to be the most demanding and discerning
>> users of the Schedules Direct feeds.
>
> I use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite and I recommend it.

Ok, then. I'll bite.

I started using the non-sqlite version before the sqlite version existed. No problems so far!

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Preferred SD xmltv grabber? [ In reply to ]
On 17/02/2023 16:49, Mike Perkins wrote:

> On 17/02/2023 15:26, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On 2/16/23 22:38, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>>>>
>>> I am explicitly going to recuse myself from
>>> answering this question because I cannot
>>> legitimately claim a lack of conflict of interest
>>> in the conclusion.
>>>
>>> However, perhaps, a more interesting question
>>> might be what do the primary MythTV devs
>>> use between those two grabbers if they use
>>> one of them?  One would expect they choose
>>> what works best for them, and they are likely
>>> to be the most demanding and discerning
>>> users of the Schedules Direct feeds.
>>
>> I use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite and I recommend it.
>>
> Ok, then. I'll bite.
>
> I started using the non-sqlite version before the sqlite version
> existed. No problems so far!

I also use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite most if not all of the devs do but
you are free to use whichever one you choose. If you have used XMLTV
before then tv_grab_zz_sdjson is setup similar to other grabbers using
text config files so is probably easier for many.
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite uses a SQLite3 database to store everything
including the config so you have to use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite
--manage I think it is to set it up you can't just edit a config file.
As you can see from the smolt stats tv_grab_zz_sdjson is more popular
with users that have submitted there details to use.

 tv_grab_zz_sdjson     243     19.5 %

tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite     97     7.8 %

Gary the author of tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite is a friend of the MythTV
project so I know if we have any queries we can easily get help. At the
time UK users where forced to switch to Schedule Direct because the RT
grabber stopped working I did some un-scientific tests and
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite was a far bit quicker than the other grabber so
that is why I went with it. The theory at the time was one grabber
cached everything in accordance with the SD API recommendations  and the
other may not have been. Whether that was the case or still is the case
I have no idea though.

The devs did briefly talked about integrating some of Gary's helper
utils ( https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/MythUtil ) in to MythTV that
fill large, channel, management gaps between his xmltv grabber, MythTV
and HDHomeRuns which may be something we look at in the future.

Paul H.

Re: Preferred SD xmltv grabber? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 05:50:08PM +0000, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 17/02/2023 16:49, Mike Perkins wrote:

> > > I use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite and I recommend it.
> > >
> > Ok, then. I'll bite.
> >
> > I started using the non-sqlite version before the sqlite version
> > existed. No problems so far!
> >

> I also use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite most if not all of the devs do but you

One more dev for tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite.

David

> are free to use whichever one you choose. If you have used XMLTV before then
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson is setup similar to other grabbers using text config files
> so is probably easier for many. tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite uses a SQLite3
> database to store everything including the config so you have to use
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage I think it is to set it up you can't just
> edit a config file. As you can see from the smolt stats tv_grab_zz_sdjson is
> more popular with users that have submitted there details to use.
>
> ?tv_grab_zz_sdjson ??? 243 ??? 19.5 %
>
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite ??? 97 ??? 7.8 %
>

> Gary the author of tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite is a friend of the MythTV
> project so I know if we have any queries we can easily get help. At the time
> UK users where forced to switch to Schedule Direct because the RT grabber
> stopped working I did some un-scientific tests and tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite
> was a far bit quicker than the other grabber so that is why I went with it.
> The theory at the time was one grabber cached everything in accordance with
> the SD API recommendations? and the other may not have been. Whether that
> was the case or still is the case I have no idea though.
>

> The devs did briefly talked about integrating some of Gary's helper utils (
> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/MythUtil ) in to MythTV that fill large,
> channel, management gaps between his xmltv grabber, MythTV and HDHomeRuns
> which may be something we look at in the future.

--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Preferred SD xmltv grabber? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 2:39 PM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:

> One more dev for tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite.

Thanks everyone. Decided to go with tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite .