Mailing List Archive

manage recordings
Hi,

In my media library, I have about 50 recordings for me and about 250 for
my daughter. I have a group for me and another one for my daughter, but
the recordings are alltogether in the same folder on my desktop computer.

This is a problem when I am not at home and I want to regard films. The
difficulty is to copy some of the films on my laptop.

I have about 300 films in one folder on my desktop, how to find some of
the 50 films for me I could copy on my laptop ?

I use mythlink and I see the real name of the recordings in the folder
"links". But it is not easy to get a list of the links and their
targets. I already did it with readlink, but I cannot find again who to
do. And even with this list, it is not easy to select and copy recordings.

My daughter does not often regard here recordings. So the best way would
be to move them to another dedicated folder. If I move them to "Videos",
I shall loose all the informations about them. If possible, I would like
to keep them.

thanks for your hints

Happy New Year !

Klaus
Re: manage recordings [ In reply to ]
On 03/01/2022 20:33, Klaus Becker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my media library, I have about 50 recordings for me and about 250 for my daughter. I have a group
> for me and another one for my daughter, but the recordings are alltogether in the same folder on my
> desktop computer.
>
> This is a problem when I am not at home and I want to regard films. The difficulty is to copy some
> of the films on my laptop.
>
> I have about 300 films in one folder on my desktop, how to find some of the 50 films for me I could
> copy on my laptop ?
>
> I use mythlink and I see the real name of the recordings in the folder "links". But it is not easy
> to get a list of the links and their targets. I already did it with readlink, but I cannot find
> again who to do. And even with this list, it is not easy to select and copy recordings.
>
> My daughter does not often regard here recordings. So the best way would be to move them to another
> dedicated folder. If I move them to "Videos", I shall loose all the informations about them. If
> possible, I would like to keep them.
>
> thanks for your hints

One way would be to define a separate Storage group for the recordings you want and to allocate a
different disk partition to it. That way any future records will go to that disk and be much easier
to handle and move.

That does not help your present situation, though. I think it is possible to change the storage
group of an existing recording but myth will not move the file to the new disk, you would have to do
that yourself.

One way that I might do it would be to use the mythlink 'links'. In a GUI pull up two copies of File
Manager and select the files you want to move, then simply drag-and-drop them onto the new
partition. This ought to move the files rather than the links, somebody else can clarify that.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: manage recordings [ In reply to ]
On 1/3/22 5:51 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 03/01/2022 20:33, Klaus Becker wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In my media library, I have about 50 recordings for me and about 250
>> for my daughter. I have a group for me and another one for my
>> daughter, but the recordings are alltogether in the same folder on my
>> desktop computer.
>>
>> This is a problem when I am not at home and I want to regard films.
>> The difficulty is to copy some of the films on my laptop.
>>
>> I have about 300 films in one folder on my desktop, how to find some
>> of the 50 films for me I could copy on my laptop ?
>>
>> I use mythlink and I see the real name of the recordings in the
>> folder "links". But it is not easy to get a list of the links and
>> their targets. I already did it with readlink, but I cannot find
>> again who to do. And even with this list, it is not easy to select
>> and copy recordings.
>>
>> My daughter does not often regard here recordings. So the best way
>> would be to move them to another dedicated folder. If I move them to
>> "Videos", I shall loose all the informations about them. If possible,
>> I would like to keep them.
>>
>> thanks for your hints
>>
> One way would be to define a separate Storage group for the recordings
> you want and to allocate a different disk partition to it. That way
> any future records will go to that disk and be much easier to handle
> and move.
>
> That does not help your present situation, though. I think it is
> possible to change the storage group of an existing recording but myth
> will not move the file to the new disk, you would have to do that
> yourself.
>
> One way that I might do it would be to use the mythlink 'links'. In a
> GUI pull up two copies of File Manager and select the files you want
> to move, then simply drag-and-drop them onto the new partition. This
> ought to move the files rather than the links, somebody else can
> clarify that.

Here is my script that does exactly that. It copies whatever group I
have specified in ROAM_CATEGORIES (misnamed, I know).

https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythscripts/blob/master/install/opt/mythtv/bin/roamexport.sh

Other scripts it references are in the same directory.

The script which imports the database onto my laptop and fixes it so
that the recordings will work is here. This assumes I have MythTV
installed on the laptop so that I can access the recordings there:

https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythscripts/blob/master/install/opt/mythtv/bin/roamimport.sh

Peter

Re: manage recordings [ In reply to ]
Am 04/01/2022 um 02:24 schrieb Peter Bennett:

> On 1/3/22 5:51 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> On 03/01/2022 20:33, Klaus Becker wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In my media library, I have about 50 recordings for me and about 250
>>> for my daughter. I have a group for me and another one for my
>>> daughter, but the recordings are alltogether in the same folder on my
>>> desktop computer.
>>>
>>> This is a problem when I am not at home and I want to regard films.
>>> The difficulty is to copy some of the films on my laptop.
>>>
>>> I have about 300 films in one folder on my desktop, how to find some
>>> of the 50 films for me I could copy on my laptop ?
>>>
>>> I use mythlink and I see the real name of the recordings in the
>>> folder "links". But it is not easy to get a list of the links and
>>> their targets. I already did it with readlink, but I cannot find
>>> again who to do. And even with this list, it is not easy to select
>>> and copy recordings.
>>>
>>> My daughter does not often regard here recordings. So the best way
>>> would be to move them to another dedicated folder. If I move them to
>>> "Videos", I shall loose all the informations about them. If possible,
>>> I would like to keep them.
>>>
>>> thanks for your hints
>>>
>> One way would be to define a separate Storage group for the recordings
>> you want and to allocate a different disk partition to it. That way
>> any future records will go to that disk and be much easier to handle
>> and move.
>>
>> That does not help your present situation, though. I think it is
>> possible to change the storage group of an existing recording but myth
>> will not move the file to the new disk, you would have to do that
>> yourself.
>>
>> One way that I might do it would be to use the mythlink 'links'. In a
>> GUI pull up two copies of File Manager and select the files you want
>> to move, then simply drag-and-drop them onto the new partition. This
>> ought to move the files rather than the links, somebody else can
>> clarify that.
>>
> Here is my script that does exactly that. It copies whatever group I
> have specified in ROAM_CATEGORIES (misnamed, I know).
>
> https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythscripts/blob/master/install/opt/mythtv/bin/roamexport.sh
>

> Other scripts it references are in the same directory.
>
> The script which imports the database onto my laptop and fixes it so
> that the recordings will work is here. This assumes I have MythTV
> installed on the laptop so that I can access the recordings there:
>
> https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythscripts/blob/master/install/opt/mythtv/bin/roamimport.sh
>

> Peter

Thanks for the answers, I shall regard that.

I forgot to say that on the laptop, I have not MythTV installed, I
regard the recordings with vlc.

Of course, I can install MythTV, but I am not sure it's really
neccessary and useful. I just need on the laptop some selected
recordings with their real name.

When I am not at home, each time it's just for some days or one to two
weeks.

Klaus

Re: manage recordings [ In reply to ]
On 04/01/2022 09:09, Klaus Becker wrote:

> Am 04/01/2022 um 02:24 schrieb Peter Bennett:

>>> One way would be to define a separate Storage group for the
>>> recordings you want and to allocate a different disk partition to it.
>>> That way any future records will go to that disk and be much easier
>>> to handle and move.
>>>
>>> That does not help your present situation, though. I think it is
>>> possible to change the storage group of an existing recording but
>>> myth will not move the file to the new disk, you would have to do
>>> that yourself.
>>>
>>> One way that I might do it would be to use the mythlink 'links'. In a
>>> GUI pull up two copies of File Manager and select the files you want
>>> to move, then simply drag-and-drop them onto the new partition. This
>>> ought to move the files rather than the links, somebody else can
>>> clarify that.
>>>
>> Here is my script that does exactly that. It copies whatever group I
>> have specified in ROAM_CATEGORIES (misnamed, I know).
>>
>> https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythscripts/blob/master/install/opt/mythtv/bin/roamexport.sh
>>

>> Other scripts it references are in the same directory.
>>
>> The script which imports the database onto my laptop and fixes it so
>> that the recordings will work is here. This assumes I have MythTV
>> installed on the laptop so that I can access the recordings there:
>>
>> https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythscripts/blob/master/install/opt/mythtv/bin/roamimport.sh
>>

>> Peter
>

> Thanks for the answers, I shall regard that.
>
> I forgot to say that on the laptop, I have not MythTV installed, I
> regard the recordings with vlc.
>
> Of course, I can install MythTV, but I am not sure it's really
> neccessary and useful. I just need on the laptop some selected
> recordings with their real name.
>
> When I am not at home, each time it's just for some days or one to two
> weeks.
>
> Klaus

If you want only the file, with a meaningful name but without metadata,
you can use mythlink to put links into a folder, use your file manager
to copy the links that you want to another folder, and then either cp -L
* or rsync -L * to the laptop. IIRC I used to do that, but I haven't
tried it recently.

John P

Re: manage recordings [ In reply to ]
> Thanks for the answers, I shall regard that.
>
> I forgot to say that on the laptop, I have not MythTV installed, I
> regard the recordings with vlc.
>
> Of course, I can install MythTV, but I am not sure it's really
> neccessary and useful. I just need on the laptop some selected
> recordings with their real name.
>
> When I am not at home, each time it's just for some days or one to two
> weeks.

What I do is go into mythweb and there is a download button for the file, so I just copy over what I want…

--
Kris B.
krisbee@krisbee.com
Re: manage recordings [ In reply to ]
On 1/4/22 5:48 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> If you want only the file, with a meaningful name but without
> metadata, you can use mythlink to put links into a folder, use your
> file manager to copy the links that you want to another folder, and
> then either cp -L * or rsync -L * to the laptop.  IIRC I used to do
> that, but I haven't tried it recently.
>
> John P

It still works. Here is the command I use to create the links. It puts
them into folders named like this:
RecGroup/Title/origdate SnnEnn subtitle

So each rec group is in a separate directory, each title has a directory
under than and each episode is listed under than. Then a cp -L can copy
them to your external drive.

rm -rf "$LINKSDIR"
$MYTHTVDIR/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/user_jobs/mythlink.pl \
  --link "$LINKSDIR" --format "%U/%T/%oy%om%od S%ssE%ep %S"

Peter

Re: manage recordings [ In reply to ]
Am 04/01/2022 um 15:00 schrieb Kris B.:
>> Thanks for the answers, I shall regard that.
>>
>> I forgot to say that on the laptop, I have not MythTV installed, I
>> regard the recordings with vlc.
>>
>> Of course, I can install MythTV, but I am not sure it's really
>> neccessary and useful. I just need on the laptop some selected
>> recordings with their real name.
>>
>> When I am not at home, each time it's just for some days or one to two
>> weeks.
>
> What I do is go into mythweb and there is a download button for the file, so I just copy over what I want…

Quite interesting, but on my Debian unstable mythweb is broken since
PHP8. I saw the discussion about that here, but I am not sure to by able
to make it work.

Klaus
Re: manage recordings [ In reply to ]
Am 04/01/2022 um 11:48 schrieb John Pilkington:
> On 04/01/2022 09:09, Klaus Becker wrote:

> If you want only the file, with a meaningful name but without metadata,
> you can use mythlink to put links into a folder, use your file manager
> to copy the links that you want to another folder, and then either cp -L
> * or rsync -L * to the laptop.  IIRC I used to do that, but I haven't
> tried it recently.
>
> John P

Hi John,

that helps me a lot, thank you ! I did not know the "-L" option of cp
and rsync.

Klaus