historicity.co
An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
moving images and recorded sound.
Re: Configuring firewall for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 1 May 2021 20:42:27 -0400, you wrote:

>I just upgraded to 31-fixes, I'm noticing that everytime my frontend hits
>the tuners on my secondary backend that the backend service drops. I'm
>suspecting my Verizon FIOS router. How do I open router ports for internal
>traffic, but not the Internet? No real documentation for this router, it is
>a MI424WR.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Steve

The MythTV boxes should all be set up on the same Ethernet subnet, so
their traffic should not be going through the router.
Re: Configuring firewall for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 02/05/2021 02:42, Steve Greene wrote:
> I just upgraded to 31-fixes, I'm noticing that everytime my frontend
> hits the tuners on my secondary backend that the backend service drops.
> I'm suspecting my Verizon FIOS router. How do I open router ports for
> internal traffic, but not the Internet? No real documentation for this
> router, it is a MI424WR.

Documentation for your router is in fact available here:

https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/vz_bhr3_rev_i_user_manual.pdf
Re: Configuring firewall for MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 5/1/21 8:42 PM, Steve Greene wrote:
> I just upgraded to 31-fixes, I'm noticing that everytime my frontend
> hits the tuners on my secondary backend that the backend service
> drops. I'm suspecting my Verizon FIOS router. How do I open router
> ports for internal traffic, but not the Internet? No real
> documentation for this router, it is a MI424WR.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Steve
>
> Steve Greene
> (301) 842-8923
> historicity.co <http://historicity.co>
> An independent archival professional specializing in still
> photography, moving images and recorded sound.

I had a router some time back that would drop packets. I solved it by
using a switch for the internal traffic and only used one port from the
router, which connected to the switch, and the switch connected to the
other devices. However the problem it caused was pixellated recordings,
not a backend crashing. So I suspect some other issue in your case.