morning. Got it doing playback after uncommenting the 0.0.0.0 in ?
mysql.cnf and correcting a typo in the DB name.

Then I found that the TV remote couldn't turn on the TV; the power
light just flickered. It took me some time to locate the manual power
switch. After a power cycle there it's fine.

Could this have anything to do with the latest commit?

"Crash in libCEC on Mythfrontend GUI rebuild"

John P
Re: Maybe OT, but: CEC query [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2021-02-05 at 15:56 +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
> Then I found that the TV remote couldn't turn on the TV;  the power
> light just flickered.  It took me some time to locate the manual
> power
> switch.  After a power cycle there it's fine.
>
> Could this have anything to do with the latest commit?
>
> "Crash in libCEC on Mythfrontend GUI rebuild"

No. That was a bug that would crash the MythTV frontend when the CEC
library was re-initialized, which happens on things like theme changes.
It shouldn't have any effect on the operation of CEC or remotes.

David

Re: Maybe OT, but: CEC query [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

The commit should only have effect when you change the theme or when you
change the window size of a windowed mythfrontend.
But it is always possible that there is something else wrong and that does
not even need to be in MythTV, there are many issues on the
Pulse-Eight/libcec repo on Github.

Klaas.

Re: Maybe OT, but: CEC query [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 at 15:58, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:

> My "other" old laptop was looking unloved and last week I had put a
> customised 'buntu 20 on a box for my daughter to try remote group-music
> playing.
>
> So I put kubuntu on the laptop too, with MythTV ppa master as of this
> morning. Got it doing playback after uncommenting the 0.0.0.0 in ?
> mysql.cnf and correcting a typo in the DB name.
>
> Then I found that the TV remote couldn't turn on the TV; the power
> light just flickered. It took me some time to locate the manual power
> switch. After a power cycle there it's fine.
>
> Could this have anything to do with the latest commit?
>
> "Crash in libCEC on Mythfrontend GUI rebuild"

Almost certainly a coincidence. To have any effect on your TV, the
laptop would have to have a supported CEC adapter built in and even
then, as Klaas has said, the commit should not change any actual
libcec behaviour.

Regards
Mark
Re: Maybe OT, but: CEC query [ In reply to ]
On 05/02/2021 18:18, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 at 15:58, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My "other" old laptop was looking unloved and last week I had put a
>> customised 'buntu 20 on a box for my daughter to try remote group-music
>> playing.
>>
>> So I put kubuntu on the laptop too, with MythTV ppa master as of this
>> morning. Got it doing playback after uncommenting the 0.0.0.0 in ?
>> mysql.cnf and correcting a typo in the DB name.
>>
>> Then I found that the TV remote couldn't turn on the TV; the power
>> light just flickered. It took me some time to locate the manual power
>> switch. After a power cycle there it's fine.
>>
>> Could this have anything to do with the latest commit?
>>
>> "Crash in libCEC on Mythfrontend GUI rebuild"
>
> Almost certainly a coincidence. To have any effect on your TV, the
> laptop would have to have a supported CEC adapter built in and even
> then, as Klaas has said, the commit should not change any actual
> libcec behaviour.
>
> Regards
> Mark

Hmm. This 'red light flashes but Panasonic TV fails to work' happened
several more times this week, and I had the impression that the
almost-hidden power switch had a faulty connection to its circuit board.
Cue a morning contemplating probably expensive options and looking for
a screwdriver that would fit... Then google found other sufferers and
possible solutions. So far 'leave it unplugged for a few minutes' seems
to have worked, but it appears that that historically in similar models
EIT format changes might have caused this.

John P

Re: Maybe OT, but: CEC query [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

If the problems with your Panasonic TV are related to the first fix for
the CEC library crash, described in issue #299, then these problems
should disappear now after the last commit with another version of the fix.
The library is now closed like it used to be. Looking forward to your
results!

Klaas.
Re: Maybe OT, but: CEC query [ In reply to ]
On 15/02/2021 18:33, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> If the problems with your Panasonic TV  are related to the first fix for
> the CEC library crash, described in issue #299, then these problems
> should disappear now after the last commit with another version of the
> fix. The library is now closed like it used to be. Looking forward to
> your results!
>
> Klaas.

Hi Klaas,

Thanks for looking at this again. I have built and installed master
e787645 of Feb 15 on both my main boxes, el7 and F32, and can play myth
content from both on the TV; but there have been unexpected problems
along the way and I can't say I'm confident that they will all stay solved.

I installed the F32 build last night, together with a new kernel. There
were persistent attempts to connect to the wrong database, even after
resetting the URL. This morning I installed on el7, which has only a
network connection to the TV. The TV had been powered on standby
overnight; attempts to wake it gave a green flashing light that could
be turned off and on with the remote, but no active screen - until
eventually it responded to a sequence of power-switch and remote
commands. Currently it looks ok but hasn't been tested over a week of
typical use...

I also had a backend segfault on starting playback with the Firestick
'leanfront'; now looks ok after a Firestick restart.

I don't know how many of these problems are specific to my Panasonic TV
or my multi FE/BE myth boxes. Over time the entire installation has
matured but is hardly user-friendly.

... so that's the 'report' as things stand and after several reboots.
Fingers crossed...

John