Mailing List Archive

UPnP playback good but duration info is missing
Hi: For a long time I have tended to use UPnP playback when I just want
to watch a recording at its original speed from beginning to end; I
still see a slight wobble in pan shots with the standard frontend using
nVidia decoding, and while the leanfront now gives excellent playback
and more flexible control it can still fail unexpectedly in mid-flow if
the recording was less than perfect.

The main problem I have with UPnP on my 5+ year old Panasonic TV is that
duration info isn't being used. It isn't displayed in the selection
menu and skipping forward or back is difficult to control.

UPnP playback from the twonky server in my NAS doesn't have this
problem, and I think it may be a regression (in current master) from
what MythTV used to do.

I know that UPnP playback has always been a difficult topic, because TV
manufacturers have applied their own tweaks, but it would be good to get
this sorted. Do other people see this problem?

John P
Re: UPnP playback good but duration info is missing [ In reply to ]
On 07/12/2020 11:30, John Pilkington wrote:
> Hi:  For a long time I have tended to use UPnP playback when I just want
> to watch a recording at its original speed from beginning to end;  I
> still see a slight wobble in pan shots with the standard frontend using
> nVidia decoding, and while the leanfront now gives excellent playback
> and more flexible control it can still fail unexpectedly in mid-flow if
> the recording was less than perfect.
>
> The main problem I have with UPnP on my 5+ year old Panasonic TV is that
> duration info isn't being used.  It isn't displayed in the selection
> menu and skipping forward or back is difficult to control.
>
> UPnP playback from the twonky server in my NAS doesn't have this
> problem, and I think it may be a regression (in current master) from
> what MythTV used to do.

I didn't think we had yet done any upnp changes in master vs fixes/31

Having said that, we are currently doing some considerable surgery on
the backend in the area of the webserver & upnp, so we will have to
revisit how the upnp side works with various devices

Regards
Stuart

Re: UPnP playback good but duration info is missing [ In reply to ]
On 07/12/2020 15:32, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 07/12/2020 11:30, John Pilkington wrote:
>> Hi:  For a long time I have tended to use UPnP playback when I just
>> want to watch a recording at its original speed from beginning to
>> end;  I still see a slight wobble in pan shots with the standard
>> frontend using nVidia decoding, and while the leanfront now gives
>> excellent playback and more flexible control it can still fail
>> unexpectedly in mid-flow if the recording was less than perfect.
>>
>> The main problem I have with UPnP on my 5+ year old Panasonic TV is
>> that duration info isn't being used.  It isn't displayed in the
>> selection menu and skipping forward or back is difficult to control.
>>
>> UPnP playback from the twonky server in my NAS doesn't have this
>> problem, and I think it may be a regression (in current master) from
>> what MythTV used to do.
>>

> I didn't think we had yet done any upnp changes in master vs fixes/31

To clarify: The duration and progress info is not displayed with
current master. I think it probably was displayed in earlier versions
when the UPnP playback code was under active development, but at present
I'm not sure about that.

Re: UPnP playback good but duration info is missing [ In reply to ]
John

As Stuart has mentioned, I don't believe there have been any
functional changes to the UPNP code in some time (but some of the
cleanup/refactoring may have had unintended consequences).

Assuming no regressions on the MythTV side, there are 3 possible causes:-

1. Twonky server is doing some transcoding; as far as I can tell from
the Twonky site, this isn't the case.
2. The HTTP server code does not support some of the requests the TV's
UPnP/HTTP implementation wants to use; I think this is unlikely
though.
3. Twonky is sending additional or different metadata for the files in
question. The twonky faq says it analyses files for metadata, so this
seems a likely cause.

For 3, I don't know whether twonky has some logging options, otherwise
you will have to do some packet sniffing (e.g. wireshark) to see what
it is sending to the TV. For MythTV you should be able to see what
mythbackend is sending by adding some '-v HTTP --loglevel=debug'
logging - if not, it will be visible via wireshark.

Compare the 2 and see what is different - I can't think of a simpler
way to investigate.

Regards
Mark

Re: UPnP playback good but duration info is missing [ In reply to ]
On 09/12/2020 11:13, Mark Kendall wrote:
> John
>
> As Stuart has mentioned, I don't believe there have been any
> functional changes to the UPNP code in some time (but some of the
> cleanup/refactoring may have had unintended consequences).

A quick comment: As far as I know, no recent changes in MythTV have
affected the problem in the subject line, but I now find that VLC can
play these recordings via the MythTV UPnP server *and does display and
use the timing info* - at least on my el7 box. Attempts to do the same
in VLC/Fedora 32 quit immediately, and in one case apparently caused a
logout.

I have better options than UPnP/VLC for playback, but it looks as if the
duration info *can* be served by Myth; the TV isn't using it, but does
so when served by twonky...

John P