sudo adduser $USER mythtv
mkdir -p $HOME/.mythtv
ln -s -f /etc/mythtv/config.xml ~/.mythtv/config.xml

sudo systemctl edit mythtv-backend.service add only the following two lines:
[Unit]
After=NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Edit /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mythtv.cnf, and delete "#" before "bind-address=::"

Ted
Re: Manual Changes to *buntu 20.04 After Installing MythTV v31 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 May 2020 01:04:31 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>With previous MythTV versions, it was common to manually do the steps shown below.? Are these still needed after installing MythTV v31 on *buntu 20.04?
>
>sudo adduser $USER mythtv
>mkdir -p $HOME/.mythtv
>ln -s -f /etc/mythtv/config.xml ~/.mythtv/config.xml

The above two lines are done automatically. What I found was not done
automatically was adding the login user (mythfrontend user) to the
mythtv group. In my case, this required:

sudo adduser stephen mythtv

(done after installing MythTV but before running mythtv-setup) and
then rebooting. I think just logging out and logging in again is
sufficient, rather than rebooting. The code in the scripts for
running MythTV programs that attempts to do this automatically did not
work for me.

>sudo systemctl edit mythtv-backend.service add only the following two lines:
>[Unit]
>After=NetworkManager-wait-online.service
>?
>Edit /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mythtv.cnf, and delete "#" before "bind-address=::"

The above three lines (or some equivalent) are only required for
systems that use external frontends or other external access. So they
are not done automatically.

I have not tested yet, but in the past,
"After=NetworkManager-wait-online.service" was insufficient to always
prevent mythbackend from attempting to bind to ports that might not be
up. These days, there is a new (generic) systemd target that can be
used instead of the specific Network Manager one:
network-online.target. That waits for either
NetworkManager-wait-online.service or
systemd-networkd-wait-online.service depending on which is actually
being used on the system. So it is preferred to use
network-online.target now.

However, if you really want to be sure the network is up properly, you
need to wait until something on your local network (or even on the
Internet) is pingable before starting mythbackend. If you are using
network tuners (HDHRs), then you can set up to ping one of them. This
thread has my fix for this problem:

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/625992