Mailing List Archive

The OfficeMax hard drives we all talked about
Did anyone else buy one on a raincheck and have all the rebates rejected
for being outside the "rebate period"?

I'm about to go down to OfficeMax for a refund of the HD.

-Tony
Re: Re: The OfficeMax hard drives we all talked about [ In reply to ]
Lol Grant wrote:

> > From: Tony Maro <tony@maro.net>
> >
> >Did anyone else buy one on a raincheck and have all the rebates rejected
> > for being outside the "rebate period"?
> >
> > I'm about to go down to OfficeMax for a refund of the HD.
>
> Well, I did wonder about this myself. I asked at OfficeMax when I
> picked up the rainchecked disk and they told me that the rebate period
> had been extended (of course, they also gave me the wrong month's
> rebate book, so I didn't want to necessarily take them at their word).
>
> Anyway I called both rebate
> companies (this was a $79.99 disk with two separate $30 rebates),
> explained
> the situation, and after some delay while they consulted who knows
> whom, both rebate companies said the same thing: the rebate *would* be
> honored, but they recommended that I include an explanatory letter
> along with the rebate submission detailing the exceptional
> situation. So that's what I did, along with a copy of the raincheck
> itself. I haven't been able to check the rebate status as yet.
>
> I haven't knowingly lost a rebate yet (except for some Kbyte memory
> sticks
> when I didn't notice it said only one per household, and I'd bought two),
> but I am getting pretty sick of all the paperwork involved. Maybe I'm
> just
> beginning to value my time more that I used to. Must be getting old...
>
> I may just start to avoid buying rebated items. This week, I
> bought a KVM switch at Fry's and didn't even realise it came with a
> rebate till they gave me the form at the checkout.
>
> Dang. My first posting to myth-users and it's a rant...
>
> __
> Lol
>
> For those of you who like to know about these things, my mythtv system
> is running on an old HP-7975/AsusTek P4B-LA OEM Intel chipset mobo/
> 2GHz P4 CPU, because that' s what was spare when I got fed up with not
> being
> able to predict exactly what my replaytv unit was actually going to
> record at any time.
> I added a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu, 512M PC2100, 450GB of disk,
> GeForce4 MX 420 and PVR-250 + AVerMedia M179 (both from ebay).
> I mostly watch recorded TV in a small mplayer window while writing
> code, so that means I almost never run mythfrontend, just mythweb and
> mplayer, and it's very stable.
> My main regret at this point is that the TV programming in general
> just isn't
> getting any better...

As a guy from England, I have no idea what this rebate thing is all
about! (Well, ok, I can guess)

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Is it just a scam to get lazy people to pay
more? Not looking for a flaming, just curious as we have nothing like
that over here... But then again, I pay more for my goodies.

-Garry

--
"From yourself, you can't run away." - Killswitch Engage.