bottom of it.

This is a fairly significant regression in situations where one has many
dozens of programs in that box. Having to scroll all way through all of
them to get to the bottom of the list instead of just being able to
scroll up a few times is quite a regression.

Is there any chance of getting this rectified?

Cheers,
b.
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On 12/1/2013 3:10 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> After having upgrade to 0.27 I'm noticing that the programs listing box
> no longer allows scrolling up from the top of the program list to the
> bottom of it.
>
> This is a fairly significant regression in situations where one has many
> dozens of programs in that box. Having to scroll all way through all of
> them to get to the bottom of the list instead of just being able to
> scroll up a few times is quite a regression.
>
> Is there any chance of getting this rectified?
>
> Cheers,
> b.

Are you using the Mythcenter-Wide theme? That is my theme of choice,
but I have modified it's recordings-ui.xml to address several points
that bothered me.

The changes I made are commented in the modified file, so it should be
easy for you to pick and choose the mods that you are interested in.

1) removed transparent background fanart images.
2) removed stock coverart thumbnail and replaced with preview thumbnail
from actual recording.
3) changed start and end times to reflect actual recording instead of
scheduled start end times.
4) changed scrolling to allow upward reverse wrap, A back to Z, in both
windows

No other settings changes in Mythtv are required for these to work, you
just need to replace the original recordings-ui.xml in Mythcenter-Wide
1.7 with the modified recordings-ui.xml. If you are using a different
theme then all bets are off.

Note this file will probably get overwritten when updates are applied,
so either keep a copy somewhere else. Alternatively, you can duplicate
the theme, rename it, select it in the Theme Chooser and it will never
get overwritten (that was my approach).

If you would like a copy of my modified recordings-ui.xml contact me off
list and I'll send it to anyone who is interested.
Ziggy
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2013-12-01 at 15:48 -0600, Zig wrote:
> Are you using the Mythcenter-Wide theme?

Yes, indeed.

> That is my theme of choice,

Ditto. Everything else is just too eye-candy, to the point of being
distracting, IMHO. Everyone's taste varies though so I can understand
others liking them.

> The changes I made are commented in the modified file, so it should be
> easy for you to pick and choose the mods that you are interested in.

Cool. Might be interesting for you to separate them out into individual
patches for those that might want some/all of them.

> 1) removed transparent background fanart images.

Wait, what? There's transparent background fanart images in
Mythcentre-wide? I don't see any of those. I just see the blue (with a
couple of fades into a slightly green) background.

> 2) removed stock coverart thumbnail and replaced with preview thumbnail
> from actual recording.

Is this the thumbnail that's on the bottom right for each recording --
i.e. to the right of the recording details box? I always get a real
content preview there currently.

> 3) changed start and end times to reflect actual recording instead of
> scheduled start end times.

Hrm. I only have start times in my episode details box. I actually
miss having end-time/episode length there. And yeah, actual recording
time would be more useful than scheduled time.

> 4) changed scrolling to allow upward reverse wrap, A back to Z, in both
> windows

*Thtat* I do want!

> No other settings changes in Mythtv are required for these to work, you
> just need to replace the original recordings-ui.xml in Mythcenter-Wide
> 1.7 with the modified recordings-ui.xml.

Sweet!

> If you would like a copy of my modified recordings-ui.xml contact me off
> list and I'll send it to anyone who is interested.

Well, if you could send it along I would appreciate it, but I think it
still might be useful to discuss these changes on-list so that perhaps
enough people could voice their opinions on them and perhaps result in
at least some of them being rolled back into the source.

Cheers,
b.
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On 12/1/2013 4:04 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-12-01 at 15:48 -0600, Zig wrote:
>> Are you using the Mythcenter-Wide theme?
> Yes, indeed.
>
>> That is my theme of choice,
> Ditto. Everything else is just too eye-candy, to the point of being
> distracting, IMHO. Everyone's taste varies though so I can understand
> others liking them.
>
>> The changes I made are commented in the modified file, so it should be
>> easy for you to pick and choose the mods that you are interested in.
> Cool. Might be interesting for you to separate them out into individual
> patches for those that might want some/all of them.
>
>> 1) removed transparent background fanart images.
> Wait, what? There's transparent background fanart images in
> Mythcentre-wide? I don't see any of those. I just see the blue (with a
> couple of fades into a slightly green) background.
>
>> 2) removed stock coverart thumbnail and replaced with preview thumbnail
>> from actual recording.
> Is this the thumbnail that's on the bottom right for each recording --
> i.e. to the right of the recording details box? I always get a real
> content preview there currently.
>
>> 3) changed start and end times to reflect actual recording instead of
>> scheduled start end times.
> Hrm. I only have start times in my episode details box. I actually
> miss having end-time/episode length there. And yeah, actual recording
> time would be more useful than scheduled time.
>
>> 4) changed scrolling to allow upward reverse wrap, A back to Z, in both
>> windows
> *Thtat* I do want!
>
>> No other settings changes in Mythtv are required for these to work, you
>> just need to replace the original recordings-ui.xml in Mythcenter-Wide
>> 1.7 with the modified recordings-ui.xml.
> Sweet!
>
>> If you would like a copy of my modified recordings-ui.xml contact me off
>> list and I'll send it to anyone who is interested.
> Well, if you could send it along I would appreciate it, but I think it
> still might be useful to discuss these changes on-list so that perhaps
> enough people could voice their opinions on them and perhaps result in
> at least some of them being rolled back into the source.
>
> Cheers,
> b.

Are you perhaps using MythCenter 1.2 and not MythCenter-Wide 1.7?
MythCenter-Wide 1.7 has transparent fan art in the background, if your
metadata is being downloaded properly. Otherwise I don't know why you
don't have transparent fanart.

My modifications are for MythCenter-Wide 1.7.

Yes I added end times as well.
Ziggy
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Zig <jzigpublic@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/1/2013 4:04 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>
> On Sun, 2013-12-01 at 15:48 -0600, Zig wrote:
>
> Are you using the Mythcenter-Wide theme?
>
> Yes, indeed.
>

> That is my theme of choice,
>
> Ditto. Everything else is just too eye-candy, to the point of being
> distracting, IMHO. Everyone's taste varies though so I can understand
> others liking them.
>

> The changes I made are commented in the modified file, so it should be
> easy for you to pick and choose the mods that you are interested in.
>
> Cool. Might be interesting for you to separate them out into individual
> patches for those that might want some/all of them.
>

> 1) removed transparent background fanart images.
>
> Wait, what? There's transparent background fanart images in
> Mythcentre-wide? I don't see any of those. I just see the blue (with a
> couple of fades into a slightly green) background.
>

> 2) removed stock coverart thumbnail and replaced with preview thumbnail
> from actual recording.
>
> Is this the thumbnail that's on the bottom right for each recording --
> i.e. to the right of the recording details box? I always get a real
> content preview there currently.
>

> 3) changed start and end times to reflect actual recording instead of
> scheduled start end times.
>
> Hrm. I only have start times in my episode details box. I actually
> miss having end-time/episode length there. And yeah, actual recording
> time would be more useful than scheduled time.
>

> 4) changed scrolling to allow upward reverse wrap, A back to Z, in both
> windows
>
> *Thtat* I do want!
>

> No other settings changes in Mythtv are required for these to work, you
> just need to replace the original recordings-ui.xml in Mythcenter-Wide
> 1.7 with the modified recordings-ui.xml.
>
> Sweet!
>

> If you would like a copy of my modified recordings-ui.xml contact me off
> list and I'll send it to anyone who is interested.
>
> Well, if you could send it along I would appreciate it, but I think it
> still might be useful to discuss these changes on-list so that perhaps
> enough people could voice their opinions on them and perhaps result in
> at least some of them being rolled back into the source.
>
> Cheers,
> b.
>

> Are you perhaps using MythCenter 1.2 and not MythCenter-Wide 1.7?
> MythCenter-Wide 1.7 has transparent fan art in the background, if your
> metadata is being downloaded properly. Otherwise I don't know why you
> don't have transparent fanart.
>
> My modifications are for MythCenter-Wide 1.7.
>
> Yes I added end times as well.
> Ziggy

You've mentioned your changes a few times on this list. I think there's
enough interest that you could just post your modified file (or even
better, patches for the individual features).

Thanks,

Karl
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On 02/12/13 01:36, Karl Newman wrote:

> You've mentioned your changes a few times on this list. I think there's
> enough interest that you could just post your modified file (or even
> better, patches for the individual features).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Karl

+1. Ziggy kindly sent me an earlier version of his file, without the
thumbs override, and I've been using it for the last month on my Fedora
18/rpmfusion box. A unified diff is less than a page and not difficult
to understand. Why not just open a Ticket with that as a patch?

FWIW I'm still seeing the 0.26 version of the theme on my SL6 (+)
laptop. I don't understand why that is, but it works.

John

Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2013-12-01 at 16:52 -0600, Zig wrote:
> Are you perhaps using MythCenter 1.2 and not MythCenter-Wide 1.7?

Nope. Theme chooser says it's MythCenter-Wide 1.7.

> My modifications are for MythCenter-Wide 1.7.

Yeah, they are great. Definitely worth opening a ticket for I think.

> Yes I added end times as well.

Indeed. I took that one from your changes also. :-)

b.
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On 12/2/2013 3:37 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 02/12/13 01:36, Karl Newman wrote:
>

>> You've mentioned your changes a few times on this list. I think there's
>> enough interest that you could just post your modified file (or even
>> better, patches for the individual features).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Karl
>>

> +1. Ziggy kindly sent me an earlier version of his file, without the
> thumbs override, and I've been using it for the last month on my
> Fedora 18/rpmfusion box. A unified diff is less than a page and not
> difficult to understand. Why not just open a Ticket with that as a
> patch?
>
> FWIW I'm still seeing the 0.26 version of the theme on my SL6 (+)
> laptop. I don't understand why that is, but it works.
>
> John

Attached is the modified recordings-ui.xml with comments for
MythCenter-Wide 1.7.
I am not familiar with a unified diff. I'll look into that as well as
how to open a Ticket.
Thanks,
Ziggy
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On 02/12/13 14:05, Zig wrote:
> On 12/2/2013 3:37 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> On 02/12/13 01:36, Karl Newman wrote:
>>

>>> You've mentioned your changes a few times on this list. I think there's
>>> enough interest that you could just post your modified file (or even
>>> better, patches for the individual features).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> +1. Ziggy kindly sent me an earlier version of his file, without the
>> thumbs override, and I've been using it for the last month on my
>> Fedora 18/rpmfusion box. A unified diff is less than a page and not
>> difficult to understand. Why not just open a Ticket with that as a
>> patch?
>>
>> FWIW I'm still seeing the 0.26 version of the theme on my SL6 (+)
>> laptop. I don't understand why that is, but it works.
>>
>> John
>>
> Attached is the modified recordings-ui.xml with comments for
> MythCenter-Wide 1.7.
> I am not familiar with a unified diff. I'll look into that as well as
> how to open a Ticket.
> Thanks,
> Ziggy

I'm attaching a unified diff here after adding a few extra line breaks
in an attempt to make it easier (for me) to read the six affected
chunks. I don't think I have changed anything important.

John
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On 12/02/2013 04:37 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 02/12/13 01:36, Karl Newman wrote:
>

>> You've mentioned your changes a few times on this list. I think there's
>> enough interest that you could just post your modified file (or even
>> better, patches for the individual features).
>>

> +1. Ziggy kindly sent me an earlier version of his file, without the
> thumbs override, and I've been using it for the last month on my
> Fedora 18/rpmfusion box. A unified diff is less than a page and not
> difficult to understand. Why not just open a Ticket with that as a
> patch?

You guys do realize that the changes you dislike were made because the
maintainer of MythCenter-wide wanted them, right? These weren't
accidental changes. (And though we've heard, here, from some people who
dislike the changes, I doubt any of those who like the changes felt a
need to speak up--but I'm pretty sure that there are some who do like
them.) I'm not saying that things won't change, but I will say that he
who does the work of maintaining the theme gets final say in what does
and doesn't go in.

(So keep that in mind if/when I ask if anyone wants to step up to be
part of a team maintaining MythCenter/MythCenter-wide themes...)

Mike
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On 03/12/13 02:40, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/02/2013 04:37 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> On 02/12/13 01:36, Karl Newman wrote:
>>

>>> You've mentioned your changes a few times on this list. I think there's
>>> enough interest that you could just post your modified file (or even
>>> better, patches for the individual features).
>>>

>> +1. Ziggy kindly sent me an earlier version of his file, without the
>> thumbs override, and I've been using it for the last month on my
>> Fedora 18/rpmfusion box. A unified diff is less than a page and not
>> difficult to understand. Why not just open a Ticket with that as a
>> patch?
>
> You guys do realize that the changes you dislike were made because the
> maintainer of MythCenter-wide wanted them, right? These weren't
> accidental changes. (And though we've heard, here, from some people who
> dislike the changes, I doubt any of those who like the changes felt a
> need to speak up--but I'm pretty sure that there are some who do like
> them.) I'm not saying that things won't change, but I will say that he
> who does the work of maintaining the theme gets final say in what does
> and doesn't go in.
>
> (So keep that in mind if/when I ask if anyone wants to step up to be
> part of a team maintaining MythCenter/MythCenter-wide themes...)
>
> Mike

I don't argue with the maintainer's right to make changes that s/he
finds desirable, and I have no idea if dragons are lying in wait. I
just find the patched version better in use. The change in scrolling
seems like a regression and others are technically impressive but impede
usability.

Now that the patch is available people have the choice. A supported
ready-patched theme, or a switch, would, of course, be better.

John

Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 09:29 +0000, John Pilkington wrote:

> I don't argue with the maintainer's right to make changes

Indeed, agreed.

> The change in scrolling
> seems like a regression

Indeed. I cannot imagine how limiting scrolling up from the top
increases usability. That was my only real gripe with the changes in
the theme.

Cheers,
b.
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> Indeed. I cannot imagine how limiting scrolling up from the top
> increases usability.

It makes it easier to navigate to the top/bottom of a list if the
scrolling stops at that point, and it makes it clearer when you've
exhausted a list and aren't just repeatedly looping through the same
entries.

I'm not trying to argue for or against the change, but I can see how
some people would find it more usable with a linear, rather than
circular list.

Eric
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric@lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca>
> wrote:
> > Indeed. I cannot imagine how limiting scrolling up from the top
> > increases usability.
>
> It makes it easier to navigate to the top/bottom of a list if the
> scrolling stops at that point, and it makes it clearer when you've
> exhausted a list and aren't just repeatedly looping through the same
> entries.
>
> I'm not trying to argue for or against the change, but I can see how
> some people would find it more usable with a linear, rather than
> circular list.
>
> Eric

I changed Zig's patch a bit for myself so that the groups (i.e., titles)
will wrap around, but the episodes do not, so I can easily get to the
bottom of the episode list. I had originally kept episodes as wraparound
but forgot to tell my wife, so she kept scrolling through the episodes
thinking "I don't remember this many recordings...". Oops, ding to the WAF
there... :-)

Karl
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> wrote:

> I don't argue with the maintainer's right to make changes that s/he finds
> desirable, and I have no idea if dragons are lying in wait. I just find the
> patched version better in use. The change in scrolling seems like a
> regression and others are technically impressive but impede usability.
>
> Now that the patch is available people have the choice. A supported
> ready-patched theme, or a switch, would, of course, be better.

I presume you recognize that there is a mythtv-theming mail list
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-theming/
where various discussions occur regarding themes, and
proposed and upcoming changes (last I checked, it tends to
be a fairly low volume list). There is also a irc channel
#mythtv-theming for those that prefer "real-time" discussions.
While there is nothing wrong with threads on mythtv-users,
you are likely to get more attention and points of view on the
themers mail list and/or irc.
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On 03/12/13 16:42, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't argue with the maintainer's right to make changes that s/he finds
>> desirable, and I have no idea if dragons are lying in wait. I just find the
>> patched version better in use. The change in scrolling seems like a
>> regression and others are technically impressive but impede usability.
>>
>> Now that the patch is available people have the choice. A supported
>> ready-patched theme, or a switch, would, of course, be better.
>
> I presume you recognize that there is a mythtv-theming mail list
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-theming/
> where various discussions occur regarding themes, and
> proposed and upcoming changes (last I checked, it tends to
> be a fairly low volume list). There is also a irc channel
> #mythtv-theming for those that prefer "real-time" discussions.
> While there is nothing wrong with threads on mythtv-users,
> you are likely to get more attention and points of view on the
> themers mail list and/or irc.

I'm not seeking more attention or points of view, and I have no real
wish to run trunk. I just thought it worth encouraging ziggy to put his
patches in the public domain. Perhaps the wiki would have been a better
place than a ticket.

My initial problem was in reading the Watch Recordings screen with some
content-based backgrounds. An early patch on this list fixed that. The
first file I had from ziggy wrapped just one of the screen lists. The
newer one wraps both, and yes, circular lists can be confusing.

Cheers,

John

Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]

Hello,

I've put a link to this thread on the discussion page of Category:Themes on the Mythtv wiki.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category_talk:Themes

Steve.
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On 05/12/13 15:14, steve.goodey@openreach.co.uk wrote:
> [...]

Lets look on the positive side. You should be happy that Myth is
flexible enough to allow you to change things like the scroll wrap in
lists or which start time is used or whether fan art is shown or whether
end times are shown or ..... How many Media Centers do you come across
that are that flexible?

If the people complaining (a small minority out of the 1339 confirmed
users AFAIK) are serious why not get together and create a
MythCenter-wide-Classic theme or whatever you want to call it. If one or
more of you agree to keep it up to date we can add it to the theme
chooser so anyone can use it if they choose.

The important thing is someone needs to take responsibility to keep it
updated. It's not a difficult job you don't need to be a programmer it's
mostly editing an xml file and testing your changes. You just need to
keep an eye on the commits list for anything that requires changes to a
theme and update the theme accordingly. There is always help at hand in
the theme mailing list or irc channel if you need it.

This is usually where things go very quiet :). Developers are expected
to work many hours a week on Myth but ask a user to spend maybe 1/2 an
hour a month if that to help out and the excuses come flooding out :(

Paul H.
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On 12/7/2013 12:55 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 05/12/13 15:14, steve.goodey@openreach.co.uk wrote:

Well, I've already gone quiet. I didn't mean to make waves, or
disparage in any way the MythCenter-Wide maintainer's theme, judgements
or his (much appreciated) efforts. I just wanted to offer the changes
that I had already researched to people who expressed a similar desire
for them.

It took me quite a while to figure out how the areas of the theme that I
wanted to adjust actually worked. And the complexities of an entire
theme seem enormous and still quite mysterious. As is Github, tickets,
commits, etc. (I have created a Github account in the past, but don't
know quite what to do with it, would that be used in theme maintenance?)

That being said, I am not opposed to having a go at maintaining a
theme, but being a novice, I really don't have an overview - The Big
Picture, if you will - of the entire process.

If I sound too green to do this, let me know. If not, a few pointers to
some docs or a short explanation of "The Big Picture" so I can get a
starting point on learning the system and trying to get up to speed
would be appreciated.
Ziggy
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Zig <jzigpublic@gmail.com> wrote:
> That being said, I am not opposed to having a go at maintaining a theme,
> but being a novice, I really don't have an overview - The Big Picture, if
> you will - of the entire process.

If you wait until you understand everything, you'll never begin.

The best way to get The Big Picture is to start actually doing it.

What's the worst that can happen?

Eric
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On 07/12/13 21:06, Zig wrote:
> Well, I've already gone quiet. I didn't mean to make waves, or
> disparage in any way the MythCenter-Wide maintainer's theme,
> judgements or his (much appreciated) efforts. I just wanted to offer
> the changes that I had already researched to people who expressed a
> similar desire for them.
>
> It took me quite a while to figure out how the areas of the theme that
> I wanted to adjust actually worked. And the complexities of an entire
> theme seem enormous and still quite mysterious. As is Github, tickets,
> commits, etc. (I have created a Github account in the past, but don't
> know quite what to do with it, would that be used in theme maintenance?)
>
> That being said, I am not opposed to having a go at maintaining a
> theme, but being a novice, I really don't have an overview - The Big
> Picture, if you will - of the entire process.
>
> If I sound too green to do this, let me know. If not, a few pointers
> to some docs or a short explanation of "The Big Picture" so I can get
> a starting point on learning the system and trying to get up to speed
> would be appreciated.
> Ziggy

Thanks for stepping forward :)

If you are not already on the mythtv-theming mailing list
(http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-theming) join and then
send an email introducing yourself and ask on there what is the best way
forward.

While adding the theme to the MythTV-Themes github repository
(https://github.com/MythTV-Themes) is what most theme owners seem to be
doing you just need to make sure there's a repo or a place to download
the theme from and we can then do the rest to make sure it's available
in the theme chooser. I know Michael Dean has been helping other theme
developers add their theme to the github repository so if that's the way
you want to go then he is the one to ask.

Paul H.
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
IMHO, scrolling backward from A to Z is a UI no-no: and it's no wonder
any well thought-of UI doesn't allow you to do so..

It's even worse in myth theme showing the media in a grid format.

You never know where you are in the list, and you can find yourself
moving to the top of the list when it "appeared" you were right in the
middle.

confusing as!
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
At 12:26 PM +1100 12/9/13, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>IMHO, scrolling backward from A to Z is a UI no-no: and it's no wonder
>any well thought-of UI doesn't allow you to do so..
>
>It's even worse in myth theme showing the media in a grid format.
>
>You never know where you are in the list, and you can find yourself
>moving to the top of the list when it "appeared" you were right in the
>middle.
>
>confusing as!

As it is, on average, the user has to scroll through one-half of the
list to find their target. If allowed to wrap around from A to Z, on
average, we'd only have to scroll through one-quarter of the list.
That's worthwhile, at least for me.

The user essentially _must_ recognize that the list is alphabetical
in order to use it--with or without wrapping. Therefore, it adds no
particular confusion to allow wrapping from A to Z.

$0.02

Craig
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]
On 9 December 2013 12:42, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca> wrote:
.

> The user essentially _must_ recognize that the list is alphabetical in order
> to use it--with or without wrapping. Therefore, it adds no particular
> confusion to allow wrapping from A to Z.

As I wrote, it's an issue with grid-like theme.

As when you scroll you end up with something like:

name1 name2 name3 name_folder name4

when you move from name3 to name_folder, the whole content position is
recalculated and go back to being like:

name_folder A B C
D E F

etc...

To me, if you want to speed up scrolling in the list, making it
scrollable from top to bottom isn't the solution: that's what
shortcuts are for. Like pressing 2 gets you to A, 3 gets you to D, 4
gets you to G etc...
Re: 0.27 mythcenter theme: cannot scroll up from the top any more [ In reply to ]