Mailing List Archive

Request for Recommendation
I am currently testing a new setup for my MythTV installation.

Base unit for Frontend is an MSI Mega 651 (with P4-1.8). This PC was
probably a mistake, but it's too late to change it now and I'll just have to
live with it even though I will never use the ghettoblaster capabilities of
it.

I have everything working hardware-wise under Debian except for Video
Capture and a remote control (I have 5 different remotes and can't decide
which to use yet...)

I need to get a new Video Card, I did a rough install with an OLD Radeon
(7200) QD. Playback for video is working fine, however I intend to put a
DVB-S (Twinhan 1030 or equiv.) card in here as my MAIN capture card, I would
also like to have the ability for HDTV and other capturing... HDTV is
impossible (that I know of with ONLY 1 pci and 1 agp). I will just have to
get what I can from DVB-S.
Output is going to a Sony 34XBR800 HDTV through a vga transcoder so TV Out
is not necessary, however DVI might be beneficial but not critical.

SO, I want to at least have the ability to get analog capturing (yuk) and it
must reside on the video card. I could care less about gaming, this is a
2-D A/V system. Is the most COMPATIBLE solution to go with an nVidia based
system like the MSI Personal Cinema with a GF4-5200? Or is there something
else that is better integrated and has supported drivers? Obviously all AIW
cards are out due to driver problems (this strikes me as truly ODD, the ONLY
card with open source drivers is the only card that no one can get to
work... c'est la vie)

Another possible configuration is to throw all the capturing into the
Backend. Then I could put a bunch of PCI cards into the server and just
feed all that to the Frontend. This may be a better option for me so I can
feed multiple frontends with the same hardware (I would like 4 frontends
total).

I might then be able to use the PCI in the Mega for a gigabit ethernet card
instead of a capture card. And just leave the working Radeon in there for
playback only.

My backend has 2 - 3Ware 8500s in it with 8 drives total for all my storage.
I have another question about HUGE libraries in MythTV but will address that
in another mail.

The intended capture support would be HDTV (I have a MyHD, but so far its
useless in linux. To be replaced with the pcHDTV when they come out next
week), DVB-S, and Video In (either firewire, or other input devices)

I am a total newbie to MythTV, but really like what I am seeing so far.

Steele Price
CTO
Digital Dreamshop, LLC.
http://xtcp.net