Mailing List Archive

ivtv and blank screen
I am just completing my first MythTV box. I'm having an odd
problem though. I have installed the ivtv drivers form apt-get. When I
do the test with "cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test.mpg" the resulting file is
good. However when I try to watch live TV the screen just goes blank.
Not sure were to look. This happens as both my mythtv user and root.

Daniel
Re: ivtv and blank screen [ In reply to ]
I had a similar problem... It resulted from the backend not being able
to get audio data (for syncing, I think).

check the console where you start the backend for error messages.

remember that the user running the backend must have R/W permissions to
/dev/dsp.

-Steve

Snowcrash wrote:

> I am just completing my first MythTV box. I'm having an odd
>problem though. I have installed the ivtv drivers form apt-get. When I
>do the test with "cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test.mpg" the resulting file is
>good. However when I try to watch live TV the screen just goes blank.
>Not sure were to look. This happens as both my mythtv user and root.
>

> Daniel

Steven E. Raasch Ph.D. Candidate
Advanced Computer Architecture Lab
mailto:sraasch@eecs.umich.edu University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~sraasch Office: EECS 2001B 734-764-9363
Re: ivtv and blank screen [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 10 August 2003 05:23 pm, Steven Raasch wrote:
> I had a similar problem... It resulted from the backend not being able
> to get audio data (for syncing, I think).
>
> check the console where you start the backend for error messages.
>
> remember that the user running the backend must have R/W permissions to
> /dev/dsp.

With the ivtv drivers, the backend doesn't touch /dev/dsp at all, since
there's absolutely no need for it to.

Isaac