Mailing List Archive

how I got LIRC working for Mandrake 9.1/pvr
I'm running Mandrake 9.1 and using a pvr-350.

I more or less followed the post made by this gentleman.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=67875;searc
h_string=lirc%20ulcer;guest=968646
<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=67875;sear
ch_string=lirc%20ulcer;guest=968646&t=search_engine#67875>
&t=search_engine#67875

However, my installation experience was a little different from his.

Step 1 through 3:
He says to download the newest versions of autoconf, automake, and
libtool from their respective websites. I found that running 'urpmi
autoconf automake libtool' gave me versions of those packages that
sufficed.

Step 4:
He also says to get the setserial package. Hmm.I got this anyway, but I
don't think it's necessary for the pvr remote since it's not based on a
serial port receiver (the post above involved a homebrew serial
receiver). And I had the kernel-source installed already because I had
just installed the ivtv drivers. (Make sure that the kernel-source
version is the same as the compiled version that you're running on, I
had a problem with this during the ivtv stage)

Step 5:
I destroyed the existing lirc files that he tells us to. I'm not sure if
this is absolutely necessary but I did it.

Step 6:
Used cvs and downloaded the newest lirc source. I then ran autogen.sh
followed by setup.sh. I believe that during setup.sh you will have to
select tv card->Hauppauge. When you exit, it will tell you that you need
the lirc_i2c module. Then I did a 'make'. During the 'make' process, it
wanted the lirc_dev.ver file, which I didn't have (perhaps I was
overzealous earlier and mistakenly erased this file?? Not sure. I don't
think missing this file is going to be part of the typical install
experience.) Anyway, I edited the source code slightly and took out
mentions of it and then it compiled just fine. Then I did a 'make
install', followed by 'chmod 666 /dev/lircd' (see the installation
instructions at the lirc.org website). This is so that people other than
the root can access the lirc socket. (He does this chmod step a little
later).

Step 7:
You shouldn't have to install the remotes package. Just copy your
lircd-g.conf from the ivtv package into the file /etc/lirc.conf.

Step 8:
Added the line alias-char-major-61 lirc_i2c to /etc/modules.conf. I
haven't done the part about auto-booting lirc. (Maybe I'll get around to
that)

Step 9:
I think what I did to test it was to 'depmod -a', 'modprobe lirc_i2c',
'/usr/local/sbin/lircd', and 'irw'
At first, I didn't have the receiver plugged into the IR port in the
back, like an idiot, so I thought lirc wasn't working (well how was I
supposed to know?? I never used one of these tv cards before!). And
voila, if you've been following this, hopefully, your key presses are
showing up on the screen.