to know what its like multitasking.
Can you enlighten me as I am still investigating options.
Thanx.
Re: mp3 listening [ In reply to ]
> How does MythTV react if you are listening to MP3s & then it has to
> record a program?

listening to music = frontend process
recording = backend process (could be a different machine)

> Does it shut down the MP3 jukebox or keep playing?
> What about if your watching a DVD?

"it", no, "you", yes.. In order to go watch a DVD, you will have to
back out of the "music" section and go into the "dvd" section.

-Chris

Re: mp3 listening [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 05 August 2003 06:54 pm, Brett_M_Spooner@raytheon.com wrote:
> I am interested in MythTVs multitasking with both frontend & backend
> running.
> I want to use it in its truest sense w/ frontend only 24/7 - remote
> controlled.
> I heard people talk about turning off the frontend & using other apps
> but....
> (I know all this depends on hardware performance - but say you had
> headroom of 25%-50%)
>
> How does MythTV react if you are listening to MP3s & then it has to record
> a program?
> (that may be a loaded question because if I've been reading correctly you
> would need a PVR w/ line in or 2 audio cards)

Listening to music has absolutely nothing to do with recording a tv show.

Isaac
Re: mp3 listening [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 Brett_M_Spooner@raytheon.com wrote:

> How does MythTV react if you are listening to MP3s & then it has to record
> a program?
> (that may be a loaded question because if I've been reading correctly you
> would need a PVR w/ line in or 2 audio cards)

Use hardware encoding. Then it doesn't need access to your sound card
when a record event pops. And since the CPU overhead for recording is so
low, it doesn't much matter what else you do on the box.

I'm currently running fvwm with two pages. I just grab the wireless
keyboard/mouse and push the mousepad right until myth flips off and a
blank screen with an xterm comes into view. I can do whatever I want and
just flip back and forth from myth to another app.

I haven't had any luck getting mythmusic running on woody so that is how I
play mp3's right now. Kinda suspect that is why it hasn't been .DEBified
yet.

--
John M. http://www.beau.org/~jmorris This post is 100% M$ Free!
Re: mp3 listening [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 05 August 2003 11:12 pm, John Morris wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 Brett_M_Spooner@raytheon.com wrote:
> > How does MythTV react if you are listening to MP3s & then it has to
> > record a program?
> > (that may be a loaded question because if I've been reading correctly you
> > would need a PVR w/ line in or 2 audio cards)
>
> Use hardware encoding. Then it doesn't need access to your sound card
> when a record event pops. And since the CPU overhead for recording is so
> low, it doesn't much matter what else you do on the box.

You don't need a hardware encoder card to use a soundcard in full-duplex
operation. Please, please, if you're going to respond to questions, at least
try not to be completely wrong?

Isaac
Re: mp3 listening [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Isaac Richards wrote:

> You don't need a hardware encoder card to use a soundcard in full-duplex
> operation. Please, please, if you're going to respond to questions, at least
> try not to be completely wrong?

In theory you are quite right. I have found that reality sometimes
differs depending on the wildly varying hardware in the real world. Some
budgie cards only do full duplex if the sample rates match. Isolation
between the output and the line inputs isn't always all that good either.
And no worries about frobbing a control on the mixer and hosing a
recording in progress either. I like the idea that myth's backend only
needs to talk to the PVR card and nothing else running on the system has
any business touching it.

Remember, the question was dual use of a single machine for both myth and
more general purpose PC use. Perhaps I'm more paranoid than you are. Just
myth on the machine and I'd agree 100% that there is no problem using a
full duplex sound card and simple framegrabber.

--
John M. http://www.beau.org/~jmorris This post is 100% M$ Free!
RE: mp3 listening [ In reply to ]
>I am interested in MythTVs multitasking with both frontend & backend
running.
>I want to use it in its truest sense w/ frontend only 24/7 - remote
controlled.
>I heard people talk about turning off the frontend & using other apps
but....
>(I know all this depends on hardware performance - but say you had headroom
of 25%-50%)

>How does MythTV react if you are listening to MP3s & then it has to record
a program?
>(that may be a loaded question because if I've been reading correctly you
would need a PVR w/
>line in or 2 audio cards)
>
>Does it shut down the MP3 jukebox or keep playing?
>What about if your watching a DVD?
>
>Everyone just talks about CPU usage while endcoding/decoding .. I want
to know what its
>like multitasking.
>Can you enlighten me as I am still investigating options.

If you can watch live TV (i.e., record & playback at the same time = full
duplex, or btaudio + sound output), then you can listen to mp3s and record a
show at the same time, as far as your sound card is concerned. You don't
need an extra sound card. Also, if you can watch live TV, then your machine
is quite capable of simultaneously encoding (recording a show) and decoding
(playing back an mp3 stream), so listening to mp3s while recording a show
shouldn't cause any hiccups (unless your recording profile is an order of
magnitude more demanding than your LiveTV profile).

You can 'multitask' any number of things with Myth. You can use MythMusic,
MythVideo, MythWeather, whatever, without disrupting any of your scheduled
recordings. The only thing you *can't* do is encode more simultaneous
streams than you have tuner cards (i.e., you can't watch LiveTV on one
channel while recording a show on another, unless you have 2 tuner cards.
You will be forced to choose between them). Everything else is only limited
by available PC resources (CPU, memory, etc). Of course, if you do
something outside of Myth that taxes the CPU (like rebuilding your kernel),
it may cause the backend to drop some frames. Also, if you use a program
external to Myth to manipulate your tuner card (like xawtv), it could
interrupt an in-progress Myth recording. Other than that, the software
itself has no limitations other than your hardware.

-JAC