looking to be able to use it over a 802.11b network.

--

peraage
Re: PVR-250 with 3Mbps bitrate [ In reply to ]
At 09:07 PM 8/5/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Anybody with a PVR 2/350, how is the videoquality at this bitrate ? I'm
>looking to be able to use it over a 802.11b network.

The quality is excellent. Mine's set up for 2.5-3GB/hour.
You could probably get away with much less, too, if you're viewing on a TV.

-WD
Re: PVR-250 with 3Mbps bitrate [ In reply to ]
> At 09:07 PM 8/5/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >Anybody with a PVR 2/350, how is the videoquality at this bitrate ? I'm
> >looking to be able to use it over a 802.11b network.
>
> The quality is excellent. Mine's set up for 2.5-3GB/hour.
> You could probably get away with much less, too, if you're viewing on a TV.

Hope I did my calculations right, but isn't 3Mbit/sec about 1.3Gbyte/hour?
So you're recording at twice the bitrate he asked about.

--

Chris
RE: PVR-250 with 3Mbps bitrate [ In reply to ]
I believe that we read mbit, and Will read mbyte. 3mbyte/s works out to
about 10Gbyte/hour .... and you can certainly turn it down a lot from
there!

RE: PVR-250 with 3Mbps bitrate [ In reply to ]
Well, if you're going to be specific like that, note that, in saying "mbit"
you're talking about millibits - one thousandth of a bit.

That's a pretty low bit-rate. I guess the PVR-250 does some tight
compression.

DAM

I believe that we read mbit, and Will read mbyte. 3mbyte/s works out to
about 10Gbyte/hour .... and you can certainly turn it down a lot from there!

From what I've heard, you wouldn't want to go below 4mbit with a
>PVR-250
MPEG2.

Re: PVR-250 with 3Mbps bitrate [ In reply to ]
Scott Blomfield wrote:

>I believe that we read mbit, and Will read mbyte. 3mbyte/s works out to
>about 10Gbyte/hour .... and you can certainly turn it down a lot from
>there!
>
>>From what I've heard, you wouldn't want to go below 4mbit with a PVR-250
>MPEG2.

Well, commonly b=bit,B=byte, m=0.001 and M=1000000, but standards in the
computer world have become a mess, mainly caused by those fake
journalists/reviewers writing about stuff they don't know anything about
(rant over).

But let me ask like this: Is anybody able to watch video with acceptable
quality over 802.11b, and what bitrate setting are you using ? (the
4mbit setting is in line with what I was thinking, and might be possible
to use). Thank you for your time.

--

peraage

RE: PVR-250 with 3Mbps bitrate [ In reply to ]
I was not attempting to be "specific"... only trying to interpret where
perhaps our viewpoints were differing. There was not intended to be
criticism in my previous post.

However; thanks for confusing the issue some more, that's exactly what
everyone needed. In my honest opinion, Mbit for megabit vs megabyte is
orders of magnitude confusing than any convolution of mb, Mb, mB or MB.
Your own mileage, of course, may vary.

For the pedantically inclined:

I believe that we read megabit, and Will read megabyte. 3 megabytes /
second works out to about 10Gigabytes / hour .... and you can certainly
turn it down a lot from there!

From what I've heard, you wouldn't want to go below 4 megabit with a
PVR-250

I believe that we read mbit, and Will read mbyte. 3mbyte/s works out to
about 10Gbyte/hour .... and you can certainly turn it down a lot from
there!

From what I've heard, you wouldn't want to go below 4mbit with a
>PVR-250
MPEG2.

Re: PVR-250 with 3Mbps bitrate [ In reply to ]
At 04:33 PM 8/5/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>> At 09:07 PM 8/5/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>> >Anybody with a PVR 2/350, how is the videoquality at this bitrate ? I'm
>> >looking to be able to use it over a 802.11b network.
>>
>> The quality is excellent. Mine's set up for 2.5-3GB/hour.
>> You could probably get away with much less, too, if you're viewing on a TV.
>
>Hope I did my calculations right, but isn't 3Mbit/sec about 1.3Gbyte/hour?
>So you're recording at twice the bitrate he asked about.

Yeah, my bad! I read 3MBps, but looking again at the subject line it's
3Mbps. (I guess the 802.11b bit should have been a bit of a clue too, huh?)

Sorry for any confusion.

-WD
Re: PVR-250 with 3Mbps bitrate [ In reply to ]
> >Hope I did my calculations right, but isn't 3Mbit/sec about 1.3Gbyte/hour?
> >So you're recording at twice the bitrate he asked about.
>
> Yeah, my bad! I read 3MBps, but looking again at the subject line it's
> 3Mbps. (I guess the 802.11b bit should have been a bit of a clue too, huh?)
>
> Sorry for any confusion.

No problem. :) Now I'm trying to figure out how he's going to record decent
video at only 802.11bits per second.... ;)

--

Chris