Mailing List Archive

my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250
I just built a MythTV box using an Asus Pundit and a PVR 250. First, I
want to echo the sentiments of other recent users. This is a tremendous
application. Thanks to an active developer and user community the
installation was virtually painless. I followed the mythtv-users mailing
list for a couple of weeks before deciding on the Pundit with a PVR 250, a
2.4 GHz P4, a 120GB Barracuda, and 512MB PC2100 RAM. For the time being
the box is serving as both a backend and a frontend but even so it's
probably a bit overbuilt. I thought that I'd summarize my experience with
the build process and the system performance on the off chance that it
will help someone else wishing to build a similar box.

General Pundit/PVR Comments
---------------------------

First off, I was pleasantly surprised that except for the front cover the
case is entirely metal. I would have liked for the front to be metal too
but given that nowhere on the Asus sight could I find mention of the case
material and also given the low price for the included features, I'm
fairly happy with the build quality and appearance.

I wasn't quite as disappointed by the PVR remote as I expected to be given
what others were saying about it. It's not great but I've used worse.

The Pundit is a bit noisier than I would have gathered from the comments
of others. I enabled the quiet CPU fan mode in the BIOS but even at low
speeds the fan is noiser than I would prefer and that's even when the hard
disk is not spinning. Because of the noise I was asked to move it out of
the bedroom down to the home theater in the basement.

The PVR card was extremely hard to get into the Pundit case. I had to
temporarily bend part of the metal case to get the card in there. If I had
a good pair of tin snips I probably would have permanently modified the
case. It's not just getting the card into the box that is an issue.
After installing the card I tried bending the case back to its original
state but the card causes the side of the case to bulge slightly. Asus
should definitely consider increasing the width of the box by 1/4"-1/2" to
accomodate typical PCI cards. With this one change I'd be much more
likely to recommend this configuration to others. As it stands, this
card/case combination is neither for the faint of heart nor the
mechanically challenged.

I originally went with a P4 2.4 because I wanted enough headroom to later
add another capture card. However, given the difficulties of getting one
PVR into the case and the low CPU load (see below) if I had to do this
over again I'd spec a cheaper CPU. At some point I'll probably put a
lesser CPU into it and turn it into a dedicated FE and I'll move the
current CPU into a larger case with a second PVR for a dedicated backend.

Build Process
-------------

I decided to stay simple at first and just go with the Myth 0.10 rpms. At
some point I'll try compiling CVS but for now I'm simply enjoying a mostly
working PVR.

Jarod's instructions for building a MythTV box with RedHat 9.0 and a PVR
250 helped a great deal. I did encounter a couple of small problems:

1) I had difficulty getting the custom ATrpms kernel because the version
had changed from that mentioned in the instructions. I managed to dig
around and find what I needed. The next day I was getting ready to send
Jarod email when I noticed that the instructions had been updated to fix
this.

2 l had to reinstall the broadcom driver for the NIC after installing the
new kernel. I still haven't figured out whether this was really necessary
or whether I was doing something wrong.

3) I also had difficulties getting lirc to build because the instructions
for copying the appropriate kernel config to the right location were
missing. This too was fixed in the instructions the next day.

4) Two of the settings in the suggested .lircrc seem backwards to me. I
switched the settings for the "Skip" and "Replay" keys so that my .lircrc
now has the following:

----------
# Fast forward (default in Myth is 10 minute segment)
begin
prog = irxevent
button = SKIP
config = Key Page_Down CurrentWindow
end

# Rewind (default in Myth is 10 minute segment)
begin
prog = irxevent
button = REPLAY
config = Key Page_Up CurrentWindow
end
----------

System Performance
------------------

I've set Myth up to record at 720x480 using the hardware MJPEG at the
highest quality setting. Running 'top' I've managed to get the CPU load
to go as high as 45% but that's only when jumping around ridiculously
during playback of a recording. More typically during playback the CPU
load hovers between 1-5%. During recording the CPU load is typically
8-11%.

Currently I've got pretty bad broadcast TV (the cable guy is coming
Thursday morning) so it's a little hard for me to evaluate the picture
quality. I have experienced some intermittent lockups but nothing very
critical or hard to rectify. I also notice occasional hiccups (1/2 sec to
1 sec picture and sound stutters).

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
Re: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the write-up. I just ordered a pundit and the LeadTek
tv2000xp deluxe. I tought about the pvr, but $150 was too much for me
to spend, and I never get rebates back in the mail. I'm trying to guage
how much processing power I will need -- esp as I hope to get another
capture card in there. I'm thinking of a 2.8G p4. I'm also hoping that
some some case modding will solve the size issue (tight fit for PCI
cards).

I was also thinking of getting a DVD burner for archiving purposes.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I really havn't bothered doing any
research in this front...

-r

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:48:03PM -0700, Eric Gardner sent me this...

Re: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
> I was also thinking of getting a DVD burner for archiving purposes.
> Does anyone have any suggestions? I really havn't bothered doing any
> research in this front...

I also am looking into getting a DVD burner. The site I am using to compare
drives is http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdwriters. Currently I am leaning
towards Sony DRU510A. I have seen it for about $250 retail. Anyone have
this drive? any thoughts?

RE: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
I would be interested to hear how well supported some of these drives are under linux though. I haven't researched this other than having a look at the dvd-r tools list and after browsing a couple of messages my impression is that the Sony and most other newish drives are not supported.

That I don't really know what other software is out there (can I *buy* some for example?) I like Nero under windows, I would happily shell out for a linux port if they ever make one...

Ed

RE: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
Have you seen:
http://www.plextor.be/english/products/px708uf.html

Looks nice (I like the idea of an external drive since I have a couple of laptops that could make use of it)

Re: DVD drives (was: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250) [ In reply to ]
> I also am looking into getting a DVD burner. The site I am using to compare
> drives is http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdwriters. Currently I am leaning
> towards Sony DRU510A. I have seen it for about $250 retail. Anyone have
> this drive? any thoughts?

Pioneer 105 (dvd-r/w) or 106 (dvd+-r/w) has supposedly ranked the
highest, though the sony ones aren't that far behind. You can find
pretty good deals for them on techbargains.com, hotdealsclub.com or
dealnews.com (my 3 favorite deal sites). I think livewarehouse.com is
the current "good" place, though there are also some slick deals on
external usb/firewire versions of the drives at meritline.com

-Chris

Re: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
At 01:12 AM 8/5/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks for the write-up. I just ordered a pundit and the LeadTek
>tv2000xp deluxe. I tought about the pvr, but $150 was too much for me
>to spend, and I never get rebates back in the mail.

$86 from Zbuy
No rebates.

-WD
RE: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
> I would be interested to hear how well supported some of these drives are under linux though. I haven't researched this other than having a look at the dvd-r tools list and after browsing a couple of messages my impression is that the Sony and most other newish drives are not supported.

In my experience, most things *do* work under linux. (I know that the
older +- sony drives work just fine, since my company puts them into
linux boxes all the time).

As for software, you're pretty much limited to dvdrecord (a slightly
modified version of cdrecord). But since it's a commandline program,
I'm willing to bet that there are or will be various front ends ala
gcombust, etc. for it.

-Chris

Re: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
<Editorial>
Your looking at $260 processors and $170-$300 DVD drives for your box and $150
is too much? Switch that to a 2G Celeron for $67 and the savings will pay for
TWO (2) Hauppauge Freestyle PVR card (ivtv-compatible). True you don't get a
remote, but you get better RCA audio inputs (IMO). Besides the Hauppauge remote
is good for little more than proof of concept . . .
</Editorial>

Value added content follows:

My 2G Celeron/Pundit is fine playing back PVR250 streams, with 65-70% CPU IDLE.

I am currently having issues with live-tv freezing. I believe its an
out-of-memory issue related to the play back cache. Currently have 256MB less
8M shared video memory. top typically shows less than 5000K free while watching
live-tv, one extra process spawn (for whatever reason) and you freeze the playback.

The machine is not locked or frozen, still responds to ssh and alternate shells
(Ctrl-Alt-F2). Given enough time, or remote button fiddling the front-end will
recover without crashing.

Should I just bump the memory, or should I try something else.

-Eric

Re: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
>Value added content follows:
>
>My 2G Celeron/Pundit is fine playing back PVR250 streams, with 65-70% CPU
IDLE.

How are you getting that kind of CPU usage? I have a Pundit, 2.2GHz
Celeron, 512MB ram, and Gentoo Linux. When I watch TV, I get about 65%
CPU *USED*. (35% idle) (MythFrontend and X are the ones using the CPU time)

I use720x480 for my resolution with my PVR250, and I"m using the
Winischhofer drivers, with the TV-Out selected.. I can't see any reason
why you're getting much lower CPU usage than I am, unless you're using a
lower recording resolution perhaps.

Ideas?

-WD
Re: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, Chris Peterson wrote:

> In my experience, most things *do* work under linux. (I know that the
> older +- sony drives work just fine, since my company puts them into
> linux boxes all the time).

And I can vouch for the Pioneer DVD-R/W drives. I've used both a
DVR-104 and DVR-105 without any problems under Linux, and both burn CDs
and DVDs without problem. I haven't had a chance to play with the
DVR-106 yet though (the new Pioneer DVD+-R/W model)...

-jcw
Re: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
Yeah, lower resolution 544x480. My XFree86 CPU usage never seems to go
over 5% and normal sits around 1%.

I tried bumping the quality to 720x480 and got very similar results to
yours with XFree86 up around 30% CPU usage.

Not worth it on my 20" TV that I'm currently running it on.

BTW, I was surprised that the resolution setting on the recording setup
actually works for PVR250. Sweet!

-Eric

Re: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
At 08:33 PM 8/5/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Yeah, lower resolution 544x480. My XFree86 CPU usage never seems to go
>over 5% and normal sits around 1%.
>
>I tried bumping the quality to 720x480 and got very similar results to
>yours with XFree86 up around 30% CPU usage.

When I pick a horizontal resolution other than 720, I get some really bad
ghosting. I think it's a bug with the ivtv driver. You don't have this
problem yourself?

-WD
Re: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
No ghosting here, any obvious difference in your card setup?? Mine is
a Temic tuner on input #4.

pundit:~# test_ioctl -a
ioctl: IVTV_IOC_G_CODEC
Codec parameters
aspect : 2
audio : 0x00e9
bframes : 3
bitrate_mode: 0
bitrate : 4500000
bitrate_peak: 6000000
dnr_mode : 0
dnr_spatial : 0
dnr_temporal: 0
dnr_type : 0
framerate : 0
framespergop: 15
gop_closure : 0
pulldown : 0
stream_type : 0
ioctl: VIDIOC_G_FMT
Type : Video Capture
Width : 544
Height : 480
ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCAP
Driver name : ivtv
Card type : Vanilla iTVC15 card
Bus info : 0
Driver version: 1
Capabilities : 0x01030001
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUMINPUT
Name : Composite 0
Type : 0x00000002
Audioset: 0x00000001
Tuner : 0x00000000
Standard: 0x 3000 ( NTSC )
ioctl: VIDIOC_G_INPUT
Input = 4
ioctl: VIDIOC_G_FREQUENCY
Frequency = 884
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUMSTD
ID : 0x 3000
Name : NTSC
Frame period: 1001/30000
Frame lines : 525
ID : 0x FF
Name : PAL
Frame period: 1/25
Frame lines : 625
ID : 0x 7F0000
Name : SECAM
Frame period: 1/25
Frame lines : 625
ioctl: VIDIOC_G_STD
Standard = 0x00003000
ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL
Brightness = 142
Contrast = 63
Saturation = 63
Hue = 0
Volume = 65535
Mute = 1
=======================

RE: Re: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250 [ In reply to ]
> > In my experience, most things *do* work under linux. (I know that the
> > older +- sony drives work just fine, since my company puts them into
> > linux boxes all the time).
>
> And I can vouch for the Pioneer DVD-R/W drives. I've used both a
> DVR-104 and DVR-105 without any problems under Linux, and both burn CDs
> and DVDs without problem. I haven't had a chance to play with the
> DVR-106 yet though (the new Pioneer DVD+-R/W model)...

What software do you use on your Pioneer? Is it just dvdrtools (or commercial version of same), or do you use something different? (Does the CD writing software work on a DVD drive to write DVD's? Sounds stupid, but I saw a note that the DVD-rw drives can emulate a CD media. Don't know what this means in practice)

Also, does the packet writing stuff work happily on the Pioneer drives?

I was think about perhaps getting one of the new DVR-106 drives since reading around the subject suggests at least Pioneer wrote the standard (well one of them) and that all drives up until now work very well since they use the same command set.

I would be interested in getting the USB version if anyone had any positive comments to make about USB DVD drives under linux...? (Usually I would shy away from anything USB, but I have a specific use in mind)

Thanks